I’m sick of the defensive timeouts…

eball

This one aspect of McD’s coaching, in particular, is infuriating.  Last night he did it again, multiple times, and all it does is give the offense a chance to regroup and strategize.  Why aren’t the Bills practicing these situations during the week so they know what to do when the moment arrives?

Last night McD had a terrible 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 32
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

16 minutes ago, eball said:

This one aspect of McD’s coaching, in particular, is infuriating.  Last night he did it again, multiple times, and all it does is give the offense a chance to regroup and strategize.  Why aren’t the Bills practicing these situations during the week so they know what to do when the moment arrives?

Timeouts are for defense. Gives them a chance to regroup as well and get quick reminders about situational play. Playbooks are limited in these situations offensively so the time is used to remind players about what they’ll get out of the few looks they’ll see.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, eball said:

Are people really upset with our 5-3 Bills?

• Haha (+1) 5

59 minutes ago, eball said:

He allowed Tampa to set up while they were rushing. I didn't get that timeout. made no sense

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Are people really upset with our 5-3 Bills?

we're upset at a lot of things that happened during the game. That's normal even when you win

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

He allowed Tampa to set up while they were rushing. I didn't get that timeout. made no sense

we're upset at a lot of things that happened during the game. That's normal even when you win

Just now, Shortchaz said:

I think the underperforming is what’s upsetting. Multiple games now where we are clearly superior in talent yet we’re in a dog fight/lose. But, it’s the nfl so this is how it goes. 

I just don't know what to make of this board and our fans these days.  To the uninformed observer, if you just looked at the threads on the first page you'd assume this was a bottom-feeding squad. 

• Agree 3

Just now, FireChans said:

I just don't know what to make of this board and our fans these days.  To the uninformed observer, if you just looked at the threads on the first page you'd assume this was a bottom-feeding squad. 

So every win is perfect and we can't question anything? That was a poorly played and coached 4th qtr in a game that shouldn't have been close . 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, MarkyMannn said:

I was sick of the offensive line up, let's not run a play, try to get the D to jump offside. Like that works once a year

Here’s the question:  what’s the downside of doing this?  

Regarding the game-  there is no downside.  Zero.  Every time we DON’T do this is a wasted opportunity.  Sure, the chances are slim….but the chances are ZERO if we just line up and punt. Slim chance > zero chance.  This also could help us convert a first in future if/when we do decide to go for it.  Every team has to realize by now that McD has a tendency to try and draw offside more than most teams.  Realizing this could eventually backfire if/when we actually do go for it 

as fans, the downside is….it’s 2023 and everyone is impatient.  We have to wait an extra minute or so til we punt.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

So every win is perfect and we can't question anything? That was a poorly played and coached 4th qtr in a game that shouldn't have been close . 

Nobody ever won the Super Bowl in October, and history is replete with scads of teams that looked "unbeatable" at this juncture and didn't lift the Lombardi.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I didn't like the timeout before 4th down. However, most of our fans have zero clue about timeour strategy. He was getting questioned in the GDT for the end of first half timeout which he played perfectly. 

I also get that the number say go for the 4th downs. But the only reason this got close was stupidity by individual defensive players - namely Johnson and Phillips. The Bills stopped Tampa twice. 

I think we did get a bit conservative in the 4th quarter but it wasn't on 4th down calls it was on playcalling. Dorsey stopped attacking. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 8

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

A couple firsts tonight!  

-Kincaids first TD (.5 yard from 2 TDs and a tipped pass away from 3)

-me applauding you for not being “that guy”. 👍🏻 

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

Bottom-feeding?  No. The new and realistic expectation is to compete for a title though.

Poor game management, play calling, lack of utilizing players, and major inconsistencies on both sides of the ball is what is frustrating.

Sure, we are an above average team and likely playoff bound; however, the last 4 weeks is looking like a pattern that is going to hinder any realistic shot at being s contender in the end.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

c’mon.  there are some overboard takes but you’re not concerned that we played great on both sides of ball for 3 quarters and still almost puked the game away to a mediocre team with a semi-hobbled QB?  Especially with Mcdermott’s 13 second past? 

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A couple firsts tonight!  

-Kincaids first TD (.5 yard from 2 TDs and a tipped pass away from 3)

-me applauding you for not being “that guy”. 👍🏻 

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

Is everything perfect?  Of course not!  But it never is, and crucifying Dorsey on October 27-- 4 weeks after he was called brilliant for his gameplan vs. Miami -- is the perfect lens through which to view Bills fans.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

c’mon.  there are some overboard takes but you’re not concerned that we played great on both sides of ball for 3 quarters and still almost puked the game away to a mediocre team with a semi-hobbled QB?  Especially with Mcdermott’s 13 second past? 

"But it's a fan message board.  That's what we do."

Ok.  You be you.  I'll continue to look at what is going right, share my opinions in an upbeat way, and show some faith in the players and coaches to work on what they need to work on.  This can still be a very special season; the league is wide open.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

The loss to the jets set the tone for the season 🤣. I mean if we’re 6-2 it’s probably a different atmosphere. 

Losing to the Jets and NE are both bad bad losses that have a strong possibility of costing them the division and a home playoff game.

The last three games have come down to the final play against 3 teams they should have blown out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Greg said:

He has a knack for calling them at the exact wrong time. It’s like watching a high school coach sometimes. You’d expect a better feel for the game from a NFL head coach.

It’s really a shame that he turtles up at end of games.  He’s really a terrific coach otherwise but it is a fatal flaw.  

Sean is a good man and fine motivator, but his ultra-conservative, trust your defense approach is driving  this Josh Allen led team, which could be a juggernaut offensively, into failing miserably. He coaches not to lose and never to win. Why wouldn’t he on 3rd and 1 at the the Bucs 44 try and make a 1st, ending the game,on a safe throw or a Josh RPO. The extra 30 seconds he bled with the run into the line didn’t prevent that Hail Mary, which should have been a pass interference, ball placed at the one. Why is he so confident in our defense shutting teams down in 2min offenses.  We weren’t getting to the QB. Also, why isn’t Sean insisting on more no huddle, up tempo offense. Tampa was defenseless against us. Josh is built for that with his run ability against a gassed defense. Sadly Sean is not going anywhere and this incredible fanbase, who were fantastic yesterday, will have another excruciating, short lived season.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

.... Dorsey stopped attacking....

I wonder if this came down to Josh's arm not being good right now?  They mentioned during the game Josh wasn't high-fiving anyone and he seemed to be doing his best to not raise the right arm if he didn't need to.  A few of his throws looked like Josh was trying to side arm them.  Maybe Josh is stuck in some middle ground where he's not bad enough to sit out as injured and not good enough to go full throttle?  The diet of runs near the end fits using up as much clock as possible, but it also fits the Josh's arm needs protecting scenario.

Edited by GottaRun

2 hours ago, eball said:

Gotta agree, I really hate those defensive tine outs when the clock is ticking and the opposing offense is scrambling. McDermott does this a lot and I don't get it. Let the clock run!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Especially if it’s bone headed things that almost cost you games you should have won handily 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HoofHearted said:

Timeouts are for defense. Gives them a chance to regroup as well and get quick reminders about situational play. Playbooks are limited in these situations offensively so the time is used to remind players about what they’ll get out of the few looks they’ll see.

How come they always regroup and never make a play. 

More troubling is that as a result of past failures, bloopers and blunders, this team  has created an expectation that the opposition, even with only 21 seconds and no time outs from their own 25 that average teams like the Bucs along with the Bills passive defensive coverage would make it interesting at the end.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

4 minutes ago, foreboding said:

You know what Marv Levy used to say..."you start listening to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting with them."

Marv also used to say “go out and have fun partying before the Super Bowl guys!” so maybe let’s not listen to Marv anymore.

• Haha (+1) 1

McDermott has been calling defensive timeouts on important defensive plays his whole time here. Id say 60% of them are horrible. 

He wants to take a look at the offensive formation and then use a time out to adjust. Its like he thinks there is only 1 play for that situation.

Id assume every single oppossing coach knows this already and has 2 to 3 plays lined up for this.

Its stupid and it frustrates the hell out of me. He used a vital timeout last week doing that against the Pats. We could have had two time outs on that final drive.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't like the timeout before 4th down. However, most of our fans have zero clue about timeour strategy. He was getting questioned in the GDT for the end of first half timeout which he played perfectly. 

I also get that the number say go for the 4th downs. But the only reason this got close was stupidity by individual defensive players - namely Johnson and Phillips. The Bills stopped Tampa twice. 

I think we did get a bit conservative in the 4th quarter but it wasn't on 4th down calls it was on playcalling. Dorsey stopped attacking. 

Yeah, Dorsey stopped attacking but McDermott calls timeouts at the worst times. Like when he does it to see what the opponent comes out in. That's completely irrelevant because they can easily regroup and come out in something completely different. And then they can pick up the first down anyways. Or if we have a 3rd and 15 and we call a TO to prevent delay of game. 3rd and 15 is already difficult enough to get. Does 3rd and 20 make any real difference? Just take delay of game and save the timeouts in the 2nd half. The first half, isn't as bad because there is a whole other half of football. If I'm head coach, I'm saving my timeouts in the 2nd half for inside the 2 minute warning or as close to it as possible. They are way to crucial to be blowing in the 3rd quarter to see what the other team is coming out in

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Do you think that was Dorsey or McDermott?  Seemed to me like it was more of a tempo thing, than anything.

43 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

Gotta agree, I really hate those defensive tine outs when the clock is ticking and the opposing offense is scrambling. McDermott does this a lot and I don't get it. Let the clock run!

I understand why McDermott calls them.  

He wants to talk to the defense, calm them down, get the best play ready to go, and eliminate chances for a mistake or coverage breakdown.  It definitely makes some sense from that perspective.

The problem is... he's giving the exact same opportunity to the other team.

In most of these situations, the offense is scrambling against the clock and running a 2-minute drill with limited plays at the disposal.  By calling a timeout, he allows the Quarterback and Offensive Coordinator to collect themselves and come up with the perfect play.

We've been watching McDermott do this for 7 years now.  And more often than not, the defense lets up a big play after one of these timeouts.  At some point, he needs to realize it's not a fluke or bad luck.  It's not working.  His defense is not responding well to the break from action, and he's allowing the other team to regroup.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.