Latavius Murray - fumbling

dave mcbride

Murray has had two fumbles on his last 866 touches. That’s at the very least — he had one fumble on 231 touches in 2017, and I’m too lazy to look up when it happened. Let’s just assume for a second that he has fumbled 2 times in his last 1,000 touches. That is INCREDIBLE: a 0.2 percent rate. And I have no idea if they were even lost fumbles. Suffice it to say, though, that he holds onto the ball. 

By way of extreme comparison, Joe Cribbs fumbled 28 times in his first two seasons on 655 touches - a 4.3 percent rate. More recently, Devin Singletary has fumbled 13 times on 861 touches (a 1.5 percent rate). 

Rushing plays are low yardage plays on average compared to passing plays, but one of the presumed benefits is a lower turnover rate. Murray brings that.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Murray has had two fumbles on his last 866 touches. That’s at the very least — he had one fumble on 231 touches in 2017, and I’m too lazy to look up when it happened. Let’s just assume for a second that he has fumbled 2 times in his last 1,000 touches. That is INCREDIBLE: a 0.2 percent rate. And I have no idea if they were even lost fumbles. Suffice it to say, though, that he holds onto the ball. 

By way of extreme comparison, Joe Cribbs fumbled 28 times in his first two seasons on 655 touches - a 4.3 percent rate. More recently, Devin Singletary has fumbled 13 times on 861 touches (a 1.5 percent rate). 

Rushing plays are low yardage plays on average compared to passing plays, but one of the presumed benefits is a lower turnover rate. Murray brings that.

Way to go jinxing us Dave.  😂😭

• Haha (+1) 1

I have always thought he was an underrated back. Always falls forwards, can run tough yards, great pass protector and doesn't turn it over. 

I was lukewarm about the bills signing a 33 year old though. Wasn't sure he had much left in the tank. But he has been more than serviceable so far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Bills seemed to make a concerted effort to sign and draft players the last couple of years that rarely dropped or fumbled the football while moving on from players who did (Singletary, McKenzie).  Doesn't bode well for Gabe Davis re-signing here.

14 minutes ago, BuffaloTX said:

I think Murray should be the starter and take majority of the touches.

Cook is far more explosive imo and still should receive the majority of the touches.  A 65/35 split or something like that would be fine with me.  He also rarely fumbles the football like Murray.  I just wish he was better in pass protection.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, BuffaloTX said:

Murray actually did draw the start last week against the Giants and ended up with the same amount of snaps that Cook did. Cook had more touches (14 to 12) and out gained Murray (71 yds to 45). In this case I feel like the numbers match the eye test. Cook has the higher ceiling. Murray can get us those tough yards. It's a nice formula to have. 

Cook has the ability to be a big play back. However he has struggled in pass protection. This is likely why Murray is seeing more time. And Murray seems to get more work at the goal line. They both have really nice roles on the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The first thing to know about fight club is you never talk about fight club…,

• Haha (+1) 1

The Bills give up on the run way to soon, so far no team truly shut the run down but Ken Dorsey has to get cute 

Stalled drives and dropped passes is pretty ugly to watch

STICK WITH THE RUN YOU BIG DUMMY....

Edited by Bogie_Klinkhammer
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I decided during the later half of the preseason that I will follow Latavius Murray into  the four corners of hell carrying a six pack if he asks it of me.

There has been no call yet, but I have a six pack in the fridge ready to go.

...it is Yuengling, btw.

Go Bills!

Should have opted for 'The Green Death': Haffenreffer.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Should have opted for 'The Green Death': Haffenreffer.

Thank you.

You are wise and complex, Ridge.

Do you have any problem if I potentially follow you around carrying booze?

I will be back a bit and off to the side so you don't always have to explain it to people.

DM me.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Thank you.

You are wise and complex, Ridge.

Do you have any problem if I potentially follow you around carrying booze?

I will be back a bit and off to the side so you don't always have to explain it to people.

DM me.

'Wise and complex', my ass!  I just know people who lived in New England, and according to them, Haffenreffer makes Genny Screamers seem like Dom Pérignon 1996.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have always thought he was an underrated back. Always falls forwards, can run tough yards, great pass protector and doesn't turn it over. 

I was lukewarm about the bills signing a 33 year old though. Wasn't sure he had much left in the tank. But he has been more than serviceable so far. 

He ran a sub 4.4 40 coming out.  Now i know he's not that fast anymore... but he's still faster than a lot of running backs even at 33.  Combine that with size and attitude and he's a solid piece even at 33. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

I think he and Cook would have to split their touches, Murrey inside north-sud while Cook all the outside. 

Hello Dorsey ?

So, you want to create more tells on offense? Interesting. 

I prefer the idea of surprising our opponents. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloTX said:

Totally agree.  Cook struggles to 'establish' the run game where I can see LM breaking through and abusing early defensive aggressiveness.  Cook gets more effective later in the games, so start him 2nd half to wear out the clock.  

Aside from getting shut down on maybe 1 or 2 runs, Murray's been a stud.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Way to go jinxing us Dave.  😂😭

Even Jerry Rice.  OMG.

Just now, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Totally agree.  Cook struggles to 'establish' the run game where I can see LM breaking through and abusing early defensive aggressiveness.  Cook gets more effective later in the games, so start him 2nd half to wear out the clock.  

Aside from getting shut down on maybe 1 or 2 runs, Murray's been a stud.  

Time for the Bills to sign another power back.  With Harris gone, the Bills have no tough guy except for Murray.  If HE gets hurt too, we're in trouble.  Cook can't be the only RB.

5 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Even Jerry Rice.  OMG.

Time for the Bills to sign another power back.  With Harris gone, the Bills have no tough guy except for Murray.  If HE gets hurt too, we're in trouble.  Cook can't be the only RB.

Naah.  Stick Matekavitch in there and get some dirt on him.  Dude's gotta be good for something.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I decided during the later half of the preseason that I will follow Latavius Murray into  the four corners of hell carrying a six pack if he asks it of me.

There has been no call yet, but I have a six pack in the fridge ready to go.

...it is Yuengling, btw.

Go Bills!

I switched to Yuengling Light a few months ago. Recently tried Yuengling Flight. I'm sold.

I wonder if it stands for Yuengling F***** Light. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Fleezoid
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Murray is awesome 

Remember him stepping up in Denver last year, he has some Frank Gore in him. Could probably go another 3 seasons 

I agree.  The guy is tough, big and reasonably fast.  We would do well to keep him for a couple more years in the RB committee.  A class act leader type of veteran.  These are the kinds of guys that are the glue to championship type teams.

14 hours ago, Rubes said:

If he fumbles this week you’re officially banned for a month.

BANNED AND DOOMED I SAY!

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'Wise and complex', my ass!  I just know people who lived in New England, and according to them, Haffenreffer makes Genny Screamers seem like Dom Pérignon 1996.

You think that’s bad, my dad had a couple of Old Germany’s in our fridge.  That was a mistake stealing one of those as a teenager.  I was less nauseas doing chew for my one and only time.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.