McD and Daboll hate each other probably 🤣

Dablitzkrieg

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I wouldn't let his calm demeanor fool you. Mcd is a type a, microdetail oriented perfectionist in character. I think he's a good man but professionally if he thinks someone isn't giving enough, or is cutting against the grain, I have no doubt he will bring the hounds of hell upon you lollllllll

He has major dad vibes. When he's on camera I sit up straight in my chair, close my mouth and listen 😅😂

Could be me but his type scares me more than the blowhard always yelling types. Nobody wants to let dad down. Nobody gives a **** about the step-dad always yelling

The net result of pre McDermott and post McDermott in Buffalo is striking....we all know what they have not accomplished but I give him a ton of credit for turning around the entire organization from a loser to a consistent winner.  It is hard to build an NFL team that wins consistently.  Dabol is learning that as we speak.  Whether its a Dad type, a screamer, whatever...whenever you are at the top of the organization you will have detractors.

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

And won a playoff game with that rag tag group, not lose with 3 pts in Jags land.

Last year slipped my mind about the Giants making the playoffs.

But also, that Jags team went to the AFCCG and was up 10 points in the 4th at New England to go to the Super Bowl.

The Jags were good.

Meanwhile the Vikings last year….-3 in point differential.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This seems like much more than difference of opinion in terms of coaching philosophy.

I recall after 2020 it seemed like McDermott was annoyed that Daboll didn't get a head coaching job. It raised a red flag for me at that time. It seemed like he was ready to move on.

Other thoughts that come to mind...

Perhaps Daboll was angry with McDermott over 13 seconds. Someone on X said there were rumors that Daboll let McDermott have it afterwards, which would make sense given that Daboll had just overseen a legendary offensive performance and then McDermott ruined it, robbing Daboll of the chance to win a Super Bowl for his hometown team and for Josh on his way out.

Someone else suggested that Daboll made a power play for the head coaching job in Buffalo after 13 seconds.

Yet another suggested that McDermott is jealous of the love that players clearly have for Daboll, which they absolutely do not have for McDermott.

Something else I thought of is that this might have something to do with the fight to secure Dorsey's services. As I recall, both McDermott and Daboll wanted him.

There could be a lot of layers to this onion.

Yesterday, McDermott said that he respects Daboll "as a coach," and there was something there to suggest that he was subtly saying that is the only manner in which he respects him.

all 3 coaches were having words - McD, Daboll, Frazier. McD defended Frazier and the issue. per understanding and even public speaking mcdermott said there would be accountability. the ST Co was the scapegoat.

the players were arguing and it was essentially the last straw with Hughes being written off for the division in the lockerrom. but he was never coming back, anyway.

by 2021 sources said McD seemed frustrated that the offense belonged to Daboll and McD resented that the O had their own coach, their own identity, and not part of McChumps faux "Process."

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

all 3 coaches were having words - McD, Daboll, Frazier. McD defended Frazier and the issue. per understanding and even public speaking mcdermott said there would be accountability. the ST Co was the scapegoat.

the players were arguing and it was essentially the last straw with Hughes being written off for the division in the lockerrom. but he was never coming back, anyway.

by 2021 sources said McD seemed frustrated that the offense belonged to Daboll and McD resented that the O had their own coach, their own identity, and not part of McChumps faux "Process."

What?

I don’t think it was ever reported that Hughes left because of 13 seconds?

I also don’t think McD is upset that the OL has its own coach. He’s been around the sport a long time. 

This is bonkers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea they were very strongly rumoured to have fallen out by the end of Dabes' time here. He then also tried to nick Dorsey when he got hired which probably didn't help. 

One of the most overrated players of the last decade IMO. 

Sammy Watkins has to be on your list as well as. Mack is, at least, still contributing to his team 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

What?

I don’t think it was ever reported that Hughes left because of 13 seconds?

I also don’t think McD is upset that the OL has its own coach. He’s been around the sport a long time. 

This is bonkers. 

Hughes fate was sealed when he and others were getting very argumentative and nearly coming to blows after the 13 seconds.

and McD was annoyed that the Bills O was more loyal to Daboll than him.

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Hughes fate was sealed when he and others were getting very argumentative and nearly coming to blows after the 13 seconds.

and McD was annoyed that the Bills O was more loyal to Daboll than him.

I don't know about you, but I heard that the flight home from 13 seconds was bonkers.  Guys screaming, crying, punching seats out.  I suspect that Hughes was one of the emotional ones after that mess, but I didn't get confirmation of that point. 

I also observed, personally but from a little bit of a distance, that Daboll seemed to be not his jovial self during 2021.  Normally he's an extremely nice, personable, outgoing guy.  He just seemed unhappy during the latter half of 2021. 

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I was paying attention because it interested me.  During his 4 years in Buffalo, it was like Daboll went to Charm School.  You could see it in his pressers. 

2018 and early 2019, he was curt and veered close to throwing players under the bus (Beasley deflected catch that went for a pick-6: "maybe the throw is a little low, you still have to catch it"). 

By the time he left, he was relaxed, he acted as though he were personally concerned about each reporter's health, he was gracious, he seemed fun.

I can't say it was McDermott, but someone during Daboll's time in Buffalo re-cast him.  Dick Vermeil used to send his coaching assistants to Dale Carnegie, wouldn't surprise me if McDermott did something similar. 

Daboll came to Buffalo with a reputation for screaming and yelling at his players.  In particular, he was reported to be ridiculously brutal to Colt McCoy:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ms-silver_colt_mccoy_browns_brian_daboll_112411.html

Josh Allen tells a story his rookie year about going off-script and having Daboll just launch into him, screaming at him through the helmet radio, then calming down on the sideline, then thinking about it and coming back to scream at him some more.  He was seen screaming at Josh in 2019 during the NE game, at the same time that there were complaints about delays getting plays called.

After that, Daboll went up to the booth and he never game down.

I agree with you, not just sports but any venue, screaming and yelling at someone in public does not help performance

I think McDermott is probably very intense, and a player knows when he's "on the carpet" but he doesn't need to scream in public to convey that impression.

I am sure he took some executive coaching at some point when he realized he was a head coaching candidate. Outside of being good at your job, it's probably the best way to move ahead in management.  And some people who even suck at their job get promoted on "executive presence".

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Sammy Watkins has to be on your list as well as. Mack is, at least, still contributing to his team 

No because by overrated I mean once they are in the league. Sammy Watkins didn't live up to his draft stock, but once in the league I think he was rated for what he was. Khalil Mack's accolades since he has been in the NFL - 4 x all pro, 7 x pro bowl, 1 x DPOTY, in the 2010s all decade team.... 

I mean he has been a good player. But I don't think he has been a great player and when you read that list of accolades it appears like a great player. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Tenhigh said:

I am sure he took some executive coaching at some point when he realized he was a head coaching candidate. Outside of being good at your job, it's probably the best way to move ahead in management.  And some people who even suck at their job get promoted on "executive presence".

Too many LinkedIn career gurus, and BANG!  Now were stuck with Dorsey.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Say your McDermott and the team you helped build is the reason Daboll is getting serious head coaching consideration. 

Then the Flores report comes out that Daboll doesn't like you, most likely because you did your job and told him what you needed to see from the offense.  Would you have a lot of respect for the guy? 

I get the sense that Daboll is a guy whod be cool to have a beer with.  But not necessarily the type of guy with oodles of maturity.    Love Daboll as a play schemer.  But I am going with McDermott in this one.  

I assure you, that’s not tobacco 😂

Daboll seems cool as hell to hangout with.  Me personally, I don’t care but something like this to the general public isn’t a good look.  This is the draft in which like 50 million are watching…there’s also a video on the sidelines of him ripping a vape.

• Haha (+1) 1

I am predisposed to not liking Daboll. He's a raging hothead. I remember him on the sidelines (before he went upstairs) raging at rookie Allen for his mistakes. That Allen's play improved when Daboll went to the booth is no coincidence.

I've worked for hotheads before. It's miserable.

McD is the opposite of hothead and maybe he doesn't like Daboll for his.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Coaching NFL football is obviously insanely intense and demanding, I have no doubts they've butted heads during their time together. I'm also pretty certain McD has fantasized about a single leg take down and some ground and pound work :P. I'm guessing he'd have to use the single over the double due to Dabolls... proportions. O

😇

• Haha (+1) 2

Who cares if McDermott and Daboll aren't besties?  It has absolutely no bearing on the Bills play going forward. 

My guess is that neither coach was particularly happy at the end that game for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with the coaches' personal feelings toward each other.  

• Agree 3

I mean, the Giants let him down huge. That no call at the end of the game probably infuriated him. I’m also sure that McDermott and Daboll talked during the week. Im also sure that Daboll is the kind of guy you just leave be when he’s angry. 

I get that people on Twitter need to stir up the pot to get likes and retweets or whatever, but this seems like nothing. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Blackbeard said:

Wait.  What?

His seething rage?  What am i missing?  Dude ALWAYS seems to be cool calm and collected.  

Seething rage?  Do explain.  

I thought the same thing. If Bruffalo has some insight into McD's emotional tells, I'd love to hear it. 

Having said that, it looks evident there is static between these two, at least based on the three seconds of video of the exchange. 

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Something else I thought of is that this might have something to do with the fight to secure Dorsey's services. As I recall, both McDermott and Daboll wanted him.

This is probably the most likely aspect of any ill will on McDermott's side

It's often not a good idea to try and raid the staff of the job you're leaving to fill your own staff at a new job

It's one thing to take one or even two guys with you but wouldn't shock me with the gm being from buffalo if they went hard after all the guys still staffed in buffalo 

3 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Having said that, it looks evident there is static between these two, at least based on the three seconds of video of the exchange. 

Yeah, i'd actually love to know what that was about.  Must've been some friction last couple years.   I wanna hear the dirt!

Good, I really dislike the narrative that all these guys a chummy, teams should hate other teams, it’s the American way, 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Blackbeard said:

Yeah, i'd actually love to know what that was about.  Must've been some friction last couple years.   I wanna hear the dirt!

I have one. He juts the jaw out when he is raging. It is like he is really steeling himself for what is to come and the jaw juts. When he is relaxed the jaw is less protruding. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I was paying attention because it interested me.  During his 4 years in Buffalo, it was like Daboll went to Charm School.  You could see it in his pressers. 

2018 and early 2019, he was curt and veered close to throwing players under the bus (Beasley deflected catch that went for a pick-6: "maybe the throw is a little low, you still have to catch it"). 

By the time he left, he was relaxed, he acted as though he were personally concerned about each reporter's health, he was gracious, he seemed fun.

I can't say it was McDermott, but someone during Daboll's time in Buffalo re-cast him.  Dick Vermeil used to send his coaching assistants to Dale Carnegie, wouldn't surprise me if McDermott did something similar. 

Daboll came to Buffalo with a reputation for screaming and yelling at his players.  In particular, he was reported to be ridiculously brutal to Colt McCoy:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ms-silver_colt_mccoy_browns_brian_daboll_112411.html

Josh Allen tells a story his rookie year about going off-script and having Daboll just launch into him, screaming at him through the helmet radio, then calming down on the sideline, then thinking about it and coming back to scream at him some more.  He was seen screaming at Josh in 2019 during the NE game, at the same time that there were complaints about delays getting plays called.

After that, Daboll went up to the booth and he never game down.

I agree with you, not just sports but any venue, screaming and yelling at someone in public does not help performance

I think McDermott is probably very intense, and a player knows when he's "on the carpet" but he doesn't need to scream in public to convey that impression.

That's great to learn about Dick Vermiel. Dale Carnegie works. I was skeptical when my work signed me up years ago. But it helps you communicate with your staff more effectively and hash things out in a productive manner.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

That's great to learn about Dick Vermiel. Dale Carnegie works. I was skeptical when my work signed me up years ago. But it helps you communicate with your staff more effectively and hash things out in a productive manner.

Oh, screw off...

😉

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So what is calling fans idiots for merely having observations over three seconds of video? I'd say rude and uncalled for.

I call 'em like I see 'em.  Feel free to ignore me. :)

33 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I get that people on Twitter need to stir up the pot to get likes and retweets or whatever, but this seems like nothing. 

Sorry but this is ridiculous. There is more than enough circumstantial evidence, including information contained in a lawsuit, to show that Daboll and McD are not friendly.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I doubt McD is a likable guy, he always seems like he’s barely controlling seething rage.

The Daboll/Allen relationship is cool though. He did a lot for Allen and Allen did a lot for him. 

Edit: I’m not saying McD is a bad coach at all. But come on, even the clapping is aggressive. 

Maybe because he is in shape and has testosterone flowing thru his body unlike most of the coaches who are fat butterballs that have more estrogen in their bodies from fat cell production than their wives do?  Mike Tomlin seems the same way.

Would you rather McDermott try to steal Josh Allen's "nuggies"?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Sorry but this is ridiculous. There is more than enough circumstantial evidence, including information contained in a lawsuit, to show that Daboll and McD are not friendly.

Oh sorry, I didn’t realize that there was a lawsuit over their non-existent friendship. I’ll take my foolish speculation to another part of the internet. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.