Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo

Bleeding Bills Blue

He didn't have an amazing game at all, but he had what we remember as a frustrating Tyrod game.  He threw a few really nice deep shots (the 4th down one while not caught was a great throw).  He used his legs to avoid some sacks, and created a few positive plays out of nothing.  Did a really nice job on their 3rd downs all game and kept the Bills offense from getting more possessions.  

What he couldn't do was overcome a mostly missing (except for one drive) rushing attack - which was what we probably remember most.  He threw with more rhythm underneath than I remember.  He can be so good between the 20s but once the field condenses he loses that rhythm and is unwilling to throw into tight windows, and the Bills were able to mostly sell out to stop the run.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He didn't have an amazing game at all, but he had what we remember as a frustrating Tyrod game.  He threw a few really nice deep shots (the 4th down one while not caught was a great throw).  He used his legs to avoid some sacks, and created a few positive plays out of nothing.  Did a really nice job on their 3rd downs all game and kept the Bills offense from getting more possessions.  

What he couldn't do was overcome a mostly missing (except for one drive) rushing attack - which was what we probably remember most.  He threw with more rhythm underneath than I remember.  He can be so good between the 20s but once the field condenses he loses that rhythm and is unwilling to throw into tight windows, and the Bills were able to mostly sell out to stop the run.  

Huh?  We had one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL when Tyrod was here including leading the NFL in rushing one year by a wide margin.  What are you talking about?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 6

Just now, Big Turk said:

Huh?  We had one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL when Tyrod was here including leading the NFL in rushing one year by a wide margin.  What are you talking about?

I'm talking about when opposing teams stopped the bills running attack, and buffalo would struggle on third downs and mostly lose games. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201709170car.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201711120buf.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201710080cin.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201609110rav.htm

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Yes, because the Bills passing attack was remedial under Greg Roman...same as it was in Baltimore...best run game in the NFL, passing game was like 8th grade level football.

10 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Tha offense is putrid up front......they did what they could, grind out the runs to limit the pass rush, take a few shots and make a few plays here and there to move the chains.   He is limited but he gave them a chance to win by not making mistakes which is his best trait.

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes, because the Bills passing attack was remedial under Greg Roman...same as it was in Baltimore...best run game in the NFL, passing game was like 8th grade level football.

Right... Thats what I'm saying though.  If the run game is working then Tyrod can usually do enough to win.  

Classic Tyrod Game.

Not going to make the mistakes to lose the football game.

Still deadly accurate outside the numbers on the deep ball.

Legs seem like they are pretty much gone at this point in his age.

Perfect for me, Tyrod Played well coming back to Buffalo and the Bills still won.  So I can be happy both things happend.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Classic Tyrod Game.

Not going to make the mistakes to lose the football game.

Still deadly accurate outside the numbers on the deep ball.

Legs seem like they are pretty much gone at this point in his age.

Perfect for me, Tyrod Played well coming back to Buffalo and the Bills still won.  So I can be happy both things happend.

Totally. To repeat what I said above, the final pass to Waller was perfect, but since they had already called PI the play before, they weren't going to call it again. And the Bills probably knew that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Totally. To repeat what I said above, the final pass to Waller was perfect, but since they had already called PI the play before, they weren't going to call it again. And the Bills probably knew that.

They SHOULD be coached it.  Do not give up the easy touchdown.  Get handsy in the untimed down.  They call it again it is just another untimed down.  I know when I played back in the day this is how our defense was coached in HS and College.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They SHOULD be coached it.  Do not give up the easy touchdown.  Get handsy in the untimed down.  They call it again it is just another untimed down.  I know when I played back in the day this is how our defense was coached in HS and College.

As to your point, check this out. It's pretty funny (and true): https://www.nbcsports.com/watch/nfl/profootballtalk/should-giants-have-run-on-final-play-vs-bills

Tryrod has ALWAYS refused to take chances to move the ball and win games with his arm. It's why season after season his stats look good but he doesn't win and is a backup. You could see it on full display last night... Josh Allen surpassed his career total in comeback wins in just a season and a half. Tryrod is a caretaker QB at best who must be on a team with a great defense and a great running game, because if he has anything else you can't rely on him.

Taylor did everything he could yesterday.  Considering the state of that O-line and who his receivers are, I thought he was pretty spectacular. 

The G-men should have probably won that game.  The decisions to pass at the end of both halves cost them at least 1 TD, and probably 2.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Same - if the TD wins the game, don't let them get it and let the refs sort it out.  

He's the perfect bridge QB. Won't lose the game, but won't win it either.

I didn't even know he was on that team until Jones got hurt. Why they have been starting Jones instead of him I don't understand. Jones is horrible. Paying him was a huge mistake. Paying Barkley was a huge mistake because Barkley is always getting hurt.

32 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I love what Taron Johnson said about it.  He basically said "if they call it they call it, but I was going to play it aggressively."  Love that attitude.

• Like (+1) 3

Tyrod had himself a game last night, easily his best performance in years. You could tell this game meant a ton to him. He wasn’t amazing, and at 34 he isn’t the guy we all knew. 

I really hope Tyrod Taylor had the same respect from this fan base and organization that Ryan Fitzpatrick does when he hangs it up. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He deserves credit for his time in Buffalo, but we saw his limitations last night. The Giants win that game if he doesn’t call an audible on the goal line before the half. He’s great at playing mistake free football, but the mental mistakes are huge. He also did poorly with two minute offense clock management. Too many guys walking back to the line at a leisurely pace. 

9 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Roman wasn't there in 2017 (3 out of 4 of those games).  Not that Roman ran a run and shoot passing attack but his offenses typically were in the top half of the league in scoring.  Dennison was calling the plays in 2017 and Taylor was throwing to one legged Benjamin and Deonte Thompson.  One of my biggest fears was that we'd draft a QB in the first and Dennison would be coaching them.  That said we made the playoffs so we won more than we lost but that was largely the much improved defense.

Edited by Maine-iac

9 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

I honestly think we would have sleptwalked this vs Danny Dimes. He holds the ball wayyyyy too long. Taylor is still a good QB (not great, but good enough). He had them in this the whole game and a lot of that is thanks to his quick release and playing relatively safe.

Nah man. Taylor didn't stop the Bills from scoring for 3 quarters. 

7 hours ago, MJS said:

He's the perfect bridge QB. Won't lose the game, but won't win it either.

I didn't even know he was on that team until Jones got hurt. Why they have been starting Jones instead of him I don't understand. Jones is horrible. Paying him was a huge mistake. Paying Barkley was a huge mistake because Barkley is always getting hurt.

I told my buddy before the game, I would rather be playing against Daniel Jones than Tyrod Taylor

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

I honestly think we would have sleptwalked this vs Danny Dimes. He holds the ball wayyyyy too long. Taylor is still a good QB (not great, but good enough). He had them in this the whole game and a lot of that is thanks to his quick release and playing relatively safe.

Tyrod is so much better than Daniel Jones for the giants current situation 

7 hours ago, eball said:

I love what Taron Johnson said about it.  He basically said "if they call it they call it, but I was going to play it aggressively."  Love that attitude.

The whole thing is much ado about nothing.  Jerseys were gettin grabbed all night (mostly by the giants). Two big uncalled holds killed bills drives 

The fact that he audibled to a run play at the end of the first half with 9? Seconds left and no time outs is absolutely inexcusable. A guys who's been playing 12 seasons in the nfl cannot do that. He had a decent game last night, but thinking back to those Tyrod years with the bills makes me nauseous. The bills were terrible last night, and so were the giants. I'm happy for the win, but it's a great reminder of how bad the bills once were. 

11 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Pretty much a fair assessment of Tyrod.  I remember right after the Bills re-signed him, one of the websites started doing “Quarterback Tiers.”  They ranked Tyrod toward the bottom of NFL QB’s in Tier 3 saying you could win with him if you have solid pieces around but on his own he couldn’t carry an offense.

I remember thinking it was BS because he was OUR QB, but it retrospect it was spot on.  

The Jacksonville game is what solidified it for me, as the defense went balls out and he couldn’t find a way to get the Bills into the end zone.  

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Back in the Rob Johnson days the 49ers kept interfering in the end zone right before halftime and the Bills were forced to kick a FG because they succeeded in running enough time off the clock Wade couldn't risk going into the half without scoring on the drive.  

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Pretty much a fair assessment of Tyrod.  I remember right after the Bills re-signed him, one of the websites started doing “Quarterback Tiers.”  They ranked Tyrod toward the bottom of NFL QB’s in Tier 3 saying you could win with him if you have solid pieces around but on his own he couldn’t carry an offense.

I remember thinking it was BS because he was OUR QB, but it retrospect it was spot on.  

The Jacksonville game is what solidified it for me, as the defense went balls out and he couldn’t find a way to get the Bills into the end zone.  

For the Bills during that time it should have been titled "Quarterback tears"

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Back in the Rob Johnson days the 49ers kept interfering in the end zone right before halftime and the Bills were forced to kick a FG because they succeeded in running enough time off the clock Wade couldn't risk going into the half without scoring on the drive.  

For the Bills during that time it should have been titled "Quarterback tears"

I shed a few watching that QB play, for sure

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.