Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo

Bleeding Bills Blue

10 hours ago, MJS said:

He's the perfect bridge QB. Won't lose the game, but won't win it either.

I didn't even know he was on that team until Jones got hurt. Why they have been starting Jones instead of him I don't understand. Jones is horrible. Paying him was a huge mistake. Paying Barkley was a huge mistake because Barkley is always getting hurt.

That scramble at the end of the game was pretty stupid, just incredible he didn't get caught in bounds.

15 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He didn't have an amazing game at all, but he had what we remember as a frustrating Tyrod game.  He threw a few really nice deep shots (the 4th down one while not caught was a great throw).  He used his legs to avoid some sacks, and created a few positive plays out of nothing.  Did a really nice job on their 3rd downs all game and kept the Bills offense from getting more possessions.  

What he couldn't do was overcome a mostly missing (except for one drive) rushing attack - which was what we probably remember most.  He threw with more rhythm underneath than I remember.  He can be so good between the 20s but once the field condenses he loses that rhythm and is unwilling to throw into tight windows, and the Bills were able to mostly sell out to stop the run.  

Take a look at his passing location chart for this game.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/single/all/team/2023/week/tyrod-taylor/TAY764868

This is just the kind of thing we'd see with the Bills. Tons of short stuff. A bunch of longer stuff to the outside. And very little to the intermediate or deep middle. 

This predictable pattern made it easier for teams to defend him.

He's a great person, and he gave his all to this team. But nobody should want him as a starter.

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

Tyrod's a class act who takes care of the football but he just isn't starter material

He has a really good deep ball that always seems to be exactly on the money.

He'd be a significant upgrade from Kyle Allen just based on that + his legs alone

I would trade for him today if I was Beane. 

14 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Roman wasn't there in 2017 (3 out of 4 of those games).  Not that Roman ran a run and shoot passing attack but his offenses typically were in the top half of the league in scoring.  Dennison was calling the plays in 2017 and Taylor was throwing to one legged Benjamin and Deonte Thompson.  One of my biggest fears was that we'd draft a QB in the first and Dennison would be coaching them.  That said we made the playoffs so we won more than we lost but that was largely the much improved defense.

I think it was plainly obvious that it was both Tyrod being incapable of running that style of offense, and Dennison being incapable of designing a functioning offense.  

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/single/all/team/2023/week/tyrod-taylor/TAY764868

This is just the kind of thing we'd see with the Bills. Tons of short stuff. A bunch of longer stuff to the outside. And very little to the intermediate or deep middle. 

He's a great person, and he gave his all to this team. But nobody should want him as a starter.

Keeps the linebackers closer to the LOS so it hurts your run game.  He's still capable of buying time to create some intermediate gains, but not as much as he used to.  He did a good job against buffalo attacking single high looks and attacking 1x1's, and just generally letting it fly pretty quickly. 

23 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Classic Tyrod Game.

Not going to make the mistakes to lose the football game.

Still deadly accurate outside the numbers on the deep ball.

Legs seem like they are pretty much gone at this point in his age.

Perfect for me, Tyrod Played well coming back to Buffalo and the Bills still won.  So I can be happy both things happend.

That wasn't a classic Tyrod game it was about as good as I've seen him play since his fast start to 2015.

And his legs are so shot that he avoided a bunch of sacks and ran thru what should have been an easy Ed Oliver sack to make a play and get out of bounds and extend the game with 2 seconds left.

He was making good reads, getting the ball out quick and dropping bombs in a bucket.

Bonehead decision at the goal line at half time but if anyone thinks Danny Dimes would have played that well they are kidding themselves.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Warcodered said:

That scramble at the end of the game was pretty stupid, just incredible he didn't get caught in bounds.

Once he evaded the Oliver sack there wasn't anything incredible to it.   The back 7 defense were all in the end zone he didn't even come close to Neal tackling him in bounds.

Ed Oliver had his worst game of the season.   He made a few plays but he has to tackle Tyrod there.

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bonehead decision at the goal line at half time but if anyone thinks Danny Dimes would have played that well they are kidding themselves.

I heard Chris Simms talk about this, speaking from his own experience playing QB in the NFL. He says you'd like to see Tyrod as a long-time veteran manage that situation better, but mostly it falls on coaching. He says anywhere he's ever played, the coach would be in the QB's ear before the play making sure they understand the situation and knowing not to check into a run regardless of the look they get. He also said "Daboll likes to let people know when something isn't his fault," like how after the game Daboll in his presser basically blamed Tyrod for that mistake instead of holding himself accountable. Not a good look.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I think he would be a great back up to Allen.  I would feel much better with Taylor coming on for a few games than Kyle Allen

• Agree 4

33 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I heard Chris Simms talk about this, speaking from his own experience playing QB in the NFL. He says you'd like to see Tyrod as a long-time veteran manage that situation better, but mostly it falls on coaching. He says anywhere he's ever played, the coach would be in the QB's ear before the play making sure they understand the situation and knowing not to check into a run regardless of the look they get. He also said "Daboll likes to let people know when something isn't his fault," like how after the game Daboll in his presser basically blamed Tyrod for that mistake instead of holding himself accountable. Not a good look.

Yeah Daboll is running a real Sh!t show of disorganization down there this year.    From the opener on there was clearly a lack of attention to detail going into the preparation for the season.   With 20 something young men.........you can't expect to just add-on and not re-trace your steps......you gotta' methodically re-lay a foundation every season.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Daboll is running a real Sh!t show of disorganization down there this year.    From the opener on there was clearly a lack of attention to detail going into the preparation for the season.   With 20 something young men.........you can't expect to just add-on and not re-trace your steps......you gotta' methodically re-lay a foundation every season.  

And then you have him making a show of throwing his tablet and shouting at his QB on the sidelines, as if he doesn't know the camera will pick that up. He's not so subtly gone into pointing fingers mode, trying to buy some time with the fans by insinuating that his players make it impossible for him to be competitive.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

And then you have him making a show of throwing his tablet and shouting at his QB on the sidelines, as if he doesn't know the camera will pick that up. He's not so subtly gone into pointing fingers mode, trying to buy some time with the fans by insinuating that his players make it impossible for him to be competitive.

Fans ALWAYS respond well to that sort of signaling from coaches. 😬

On 10/16/2023 at 11:53 AM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Tryrod has ALWAYS refused to take chances to move the ball and win games with his arm. It's why season after season his stats look good but he doesn't win and is a backup. You could see it on full display last night... Josh Allen surpassed his career total in comeback wins in just a season and a half. Tryrod is a caretaker QB at best who must be on a team with a great defense and a great running game, because if he has anything else you can't rely on him.

No Tyrod did not ALWAYS refuse to take chances EasternOgggBillsFan - when he first came to Bills he took chances and after a bad game Rex clamped down on him and then he became the no chances QB fans started to hate.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No Tyrod did not ALWAYS refuse to take chances EasternOgggBillsFan - when he first came to Bills he took chances and after a bad game Rex clamped down on him and then he became the no chances QB fans started to hate.

You're kidding, right??? I fail to find any evidence that this was true, unless you think that him getting sacked 8 times in a 3 INT performance against the World Champion Cheatriots was that "bad game"..... where is your proof of this?

On 10/16/2023 at 10:04 AM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He didn't have an amazing game at all, but he had what we remember as a frustrating Tyrod game.  He threw a few really nice deep shots (the 4th down one while not caught was a great throw).  He used his legs to avoid some sacks, and created a few positive plays out of nothing.  Did a really nice job on their 3rd downs all game and kept the Bills offense from getting more possessions.  

What he couldn't do was overcome a mostly missing (except for one drive) rushing attack - which was what we probably remember most.  He threw with more rhythm underneath than I remember.  He can be so good between the 20s but once the field condenses he loses that rhythm and is unwilling to throw into tight windows, and the Bills were able to mostly sell out to stop the run.  

I made a post about Tyrod last summer that got a lot of negative backlash and asked why guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick got more love over a guy that never even got us to the playoffs. To me, Tyrod definitely has a role in the story of the Buffalo Bills. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.