It's a "W"

Wizard

I am at a loss for words about how poorly this game went, yet it's still a "W."

We saw the 49ers and Eagles lose.

The good news is that the Chiefs, Bengals, Dolphins, Ravens, and Jacksonville are all very flawed teams.

The bad news is we are a really good team about 50% of the time.

Hopefully the games that matter the most for playoff seeding and playoffs will look like how we played Miami.

More questions than answers on this offense. It's really good or really bad. Shoot, even Bass-O-Matic had to be inconsistent tonight.

Still, it's a "W" 😕

Edited by Wizard
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

It’s a win but it’s hard not to look at our issues and how they project going forward. 

We narrowly beat one of the worst teams in the league and our offense looks like it can’t do much of anything. At least the defense has an excuse for having shortcomings. Can’t really think of any for the offense which makes it even more frustrating 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It’s a win but it’s hard not to look at our issues and how they project going forward. 

We narrowly beat one of the worst teams in the league and our offense looks like it can’t do much of anything. At least the defense has an excuse for having shortcomings. Can’t really think of any for the offense which makes it even more frustrating 

hey - the Chiefs fans were probably saying mostly the same thing about 72 hours ago!

• Agree 1

I don't think we can win a SB with Dorsey at the helm, he's not creative, the shotgun run play was a friggin joke, he doesn't run the ball enough, he doesn't adjust in game, did we run a single screen pass other than the 1st TD to Harty? I don't feel good about where we're at, how do you only score 14 on a team with literally half the starters out? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The 49ers lost to the Browns today.  So you can never take a win for granted.  With that being said I think a lot of the fire that you get from this board isn’t about today or tomorrow or even next week.

During the drought years I lived and died each Sunday with this team.  I couldn’t even think about the playoffs, getting there was accomplishment enough.  But this team is different.  They are in their Super Bowl window so when you are struggling mightily with the same things each week that’s the concern.  Our offense has problems.  This isn’t a playoff offense.  You can’t run shotgun draws with your season on the line.  You can’t line up in shotgun on 3rd and short.  You can’t be inches away from the goalline and come out in pistol.  You can’t abandon the run game and suddenly remember it 2 quarters later.  That doesn’t win playoff games.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

It stinks tremendously. Neither Gabe or Knox have taken a step forward with arguably the most fun QB in the league. James Cook once again looked explosive however

Has he been the most fun QB in the league this year? I feel like he's either been hand-cuffed or is is finally heeding advice to stop putting himself in harms way. I suspect the former.  I'd prefer the latter - fully acknowledging it could jeopardize a season.

16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You sound like you would be happier if they lost. Bang head too much?

• Haha (+1) 1

As I stated in the 2nd half thread. The 1990 Bills which went 13-3 and went to the Super Bowl beat a 1-15 Patriots team that year 14-0. We were 8-1 coming into that game and the Patriots were 1-8. They held off our no huddle offense all game. And we are talking about the greatest Bills team ever and one of the Bills greatest offenses ever. These games happen. The Chiefs have been off all season as well. We have at least blown some teams out. I don't think the Chiefs have at all yet. This game was not pretty and at the end felt like a drought era Bills game but I guarantee you, the drought era Bills teams lose that game. Let's just be happy we came away with the W

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

They will say a win is a win and it's hard to win in this league...but we have eyes. This one stinks 

And it was Taylor's clock-management idiocy that gave us the win.  

13 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

I know it was ugly, but it counts all the same. I bet the Eagles and 49ers would have preferred an ugly win today.

The question boils down to whether Dorsey can string three, maybe even four good games together, in order to achieve the ultimate goal. 

If we posted a poll, I don't think he'd have too many believers.  

• Like (+1) 1

After last week's performance, I'm definitely concerned.

Quarters 1-3 of both games: 10 combined points. 1 TD and 1 FG... through 6 quarters.

4th Quarter of both games: 27 combined points. 4 TDs through 2 quarters. 

Craziest part is that our defense is the unit suffering from all the terrible injuries to key players. The offense doesn't have the same excuse.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Casual fan said:

I wake up this morning and I says to myself, I bet they're complaining it wasn't a winny enough win.

Sure enough plenty are. Oh Lord you guys are spoiled.

pffft

They won. No complaining.

This is where i'm at. I'm confident the offense will snap out of whatever's going on at some point.

The OL is still playing better than last year, the run game is improved. Whatever is going on is between Allen and Dorsey

• Like (+1) 1

Eh I’ll take an ugly W over a pretty L any Sunday

It’s only game 6. I’d rather they start to get it together mid season and peak towards the end of the season/playoffs.

I’m just not confident Dorsey is the guy to do it but we are stuck with him. I don’t care what the stats say. We can all use our eyes and see that there is no identity or flow to this offense. It’s back to Allen/Diggs and they’ve cut Josh’s legs off of him.

I’m all for Allen taking less hits and sliding/get out of bounds BUT you can see he’s over thinking it. When he’s rolling and there’s green in front of him he needs to just take off and get the easy yards. There have been way too many first downs left on the field because he hesitates and then throws incomplete or short.

Gotta let the horse run.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

As I stated in the 2nd half thread. The 1990 Bills which went 13-3 and went to the Super Bowl beat a 1-15 Patriots team that year 14-0. We were 8-1 coming into that game and the Patriots were 1-8. They held off our no huddle offense all game. And we are talking about the greatest Bills team ever and one of the Bills greatest offenses ever. These games happen. The Chiefs have been off all season as well. We have at least blown some teams out. I don't think the Chiefs have at all yet. This game was not pretty and at the end felt like a drought era Bills game but I guarantee you, the drought era Bills teams lose that game. Let's just be happy we came away with the W

Chiefs also lost last year to the Colts. Any given Sunday, blah blah blah. Sometimes you just don’t live up to your standard. This was just one of those games, but we pulled off a win and that’s all that matters. Our team has been on the other side of these games so often I sometimes forget how it feels to eek out a win.

5 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Chiefs also lost last year to the Colts. Any given Sunday, blah blah blah. Sometimes you just don’t live up to your standard. This was just one of those games, but we pulled off a win and that’s all that matters. Our team has been on the other side of these games so often I sometimes forget how it feels to eek out a win.

Exactly. The Chiefs lost to the Colts last season and probably should have lost to the Zach Wilson lead Jets this season. They almost lost to Malik Willis last year in Arrowhead last season. Games happen like this. We are never gonna always be on our game. The early 90s Bills were the same way. It just happens

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Wizard said:

I am at a loss for words about how poorly this game went, yet it's still a "W."

We saw the 49ers and Eagles lose.

The good news is that the Chiefs, Bengals, Dolphins, Ravens, and Jacksonville are all very flawed teams.

The bad news is we are a really good team about 50% of the time.

Hopefully the games that matter the most for playoff seeding and playoffs will look like how we played Miami.

More questions than answers on this offense. It's really good or really bad. Shoot, even Bass-O-Matic had to be inconsistent tonight.

Still, it's a "W" 😕

I think the answer on O is that Allen is having trouble setting blitz protections properly in some looks he is getting...saw it in the Bengal playoff loss, saw in the Jags game, saw it last night.  Appeared to improve in 2nd half...

Guys were getting free when they had the people to block them, they simply were not in the right position to do so, and that is on Allen...and Morse if he is helping Allen still with those line calls.

We peaked early last season.

Maybe it's a flip this season.  It's been the case for a lot of title teams that they had a few games like yesterday.  I agree it's concerning on the heels of the Jags game, but the main thing right now is that we're 4-2.  We CAN have games like the Miami game.  

Dorsey has to improve.  The playbook seems too thin right now, and plays like going shotgun on the half yard line are just head-scratching.

Edited by Success

12 hours ago, Chugga said:

The 49ers lost to the Browns today.  So you can never take a win for granted.  With that being said I think a lot of the fire that you get from this board isn’t about today or tomorrow or even next week.

During the drought years I lived and died each Sunday with this team.  I couldn’t even think about the playoffs, getting there was accomplishment enough.  But this team is different.  They are in their Super Bowl window so when you are struggling mightily with the same things each week that’s the concern.  Our offense has problems.  This isn’t a playoff offense.  You can’t run shotgun draws with your season on the line.  You can’t line up in shotgun on 3rd and short.  You can’t be inches away from the goalline and come out in pistol.  You can’t abandon the run game and suddenly remember it 2 quarters later.  That doesn’t win playoff games.

The Chiefs who have won 2 super bowls the last 4 years don't have a playoff offense this year either

Maybe a little adversity will help this team get over the hump when it matters.

Every year they go on a tear all season just to get eliminated before reaching the SuperBowl.

Reaching and winning a SuperBowl isn't easy but maybe lessons learned from a hard season will put em over the edge at the end of the season. 

Regular season wins are nice but SuperBowl wins are forever.  

Ugly win will always be better than a pretty loss. It hasn’t been discussed at all, but I think it’s a very valid point: 

This was the Giants Super Bowl. Dabs and Tyrod brought it. Dabs built the offense the Bills still run and looked like he knew how to play Dorsey.

McD just knew how to play Dabs. 

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson said:

I'm soooo tired of these two stumbling dolts, Dawson Drops and Butterfingers Davis. Can we please get rid of them?

I hear this, BUT, Davis is having a solid year. His catch percentage is over 70, yes he has a drop or two but he also has 4 TDs.

Big down year for Knox, but he’s legit played injured all year AND has been helping chip/block. The constant chipping might explain why he’s averaging 6 yards per catch. 

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

You sound like you would be happier if they lost. Bang head too much?

Not happier.  Even that win against that team is better than a loss. But the reality is without Tyrods brain fart on the last play of the first half and the PI not called on the last play of the game it would not have been a W.  Anyone happy with anything but the final score last night has a koolaid overdose.

We'll see what happens next.

2 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Not happier.  Even that win against that team is better than a loss. But the reality is without Tyrods brain fart on the last play of the first half and the PI not called on the last play of the game it would not have been a W.  Anyone happy with anything but the final score last night has a koolaid overdose.

We'll see what happens next.

There is no guarantee that if last play of first half was played different the second half would play the same way.  Being down at half time might have resulted in changes of play calls in second half or players reacting differently.   If you truly were a codemonkey you would understand that.

16 hours ago, Bangarang said:

This has been 2 weeks where I thought this... If our offense even played average, we should have won both games by 2 touchdowns

I dunno how long some of y'all been watching this team but I've seen much uglier wins. 

Nobody wants to admit that the Giants defense came out and had a solid game. They have a legit DL and they appear to have a pair of young linebackers on their way up. 

The two drives that ended in turnovers, the offense was clicking. Gabe gets the ball knocked out on a good play from the defender. The ball nearly rolled out of bounds as well. It bounced for the Giants. Sometimes that's the game. Then later on, another good looking drive gets ended with the tip drill INT. Again, all you can really do is say hey, hats off to the Giants, they made a good play.

At the end of the day, the Bills put together what, a 16 play drive that ate up nearly 10 minutes and ended in the go-ahead TD? They then closed in to field goal range twice (technically three times, that early punt selection from McDermott was kind of a wuss call) but Bass uncharacteristically pushed both kicks wide. Again...stuff happens. 

And I don't think it can be understated the effect Daboll had on the game. Dude knows Josh better than anyone, knows what makes him tick, knows the things he struggles with... they mixed up their defenses quite a bit and uh, yeah... it happens. 

It's like, if this team isn't winning 63-0 every week then half of y'all are unhappy about it. I've said it for a while now but the expectations on this team are sometimes a bit nuts. 

A win is a friggin' win. They don't come easy and they don't all come pretty. I've sat through some of the crappiest football you could imagine during the drought. Oldheads around here suffered through some awful seasons in the 70s and 80s. Sometimes I wonder if some of youse never went through those times or just don't wanna remember it. After watching yearly crap-shows from 2000 to 2017, I ain't about to complain too much about a team that has put up insane numbers, made it to and won playoff games, has found their franchise QB, has made the right moves to acquire talent to put around that QB, consistently fields a top five defense almost every season despite missing four major starters right now. If all of that plus a victory ("but not the type of victory I wanted or expected!!!") somehow bums you out then I really don't know what to tell youse guys.

Could they have played better? Sure. I can't say I was too thrilled to see a shotgun formation on 2nd and goal from inside the one. You just kinda wanna yell at Ken, hey man, it does not have to be that complicated. You're half a yard away with a flippin' monster man at QB. I know they're working super hard to protect him this year but he's the guy, sneak the friggin' thing. 

And I dunno when everyone is gonna learn that these teams at the bottom are almost always gonna ante up to play a contender like the Bills. I'm certain those guys are tired of losing and being embarrassed. I'm sure they had a little extra juice this week wanting to get a win for their coach over his old team, or even score a win for their backup QB over one of his old teams. Nobody should've expected them to roll over. You've got a buncha guys out there who rarely get opportunities, they're gonna play hard. They aren't just gonna step aside and be like, "Oh are you Josh Allen and the Bills? Please, right this way into our end zone. Visit as many times as you'd like!" Bah.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As more time passes I'm not happy but a little more accepting of the result.

Benefit of the doubt calls from the ref, karma, whatever it is I'm confident for sure the Bills lose this type of game during the Drought.  

Also, Daboll and Tyrod I'm sure had a little extra motivation in them last night to ball.  And hey beating a much bigger market team on Primetime TV as well that's won 4 Super Bowls.  

Edited by Another Fan

On 10/16/2023 at 3:00 PM, Limeaid said:

There is no guarantee that if last play of first half was played different the second half would play the same way.  Being down at half time might have resulted in changes of play calls in second half or players reacting differently.   If you truly were a codemonkey you would understand that.

Sip that koolaid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.