PFF says we have the 8th WORST pass rush?

Virgil

They also hate ocyrus Torrence lol I don’t think pff even normalizes their score based on opponents so there’s really nothing to support the bills having a bad pass rush.  If they got less points for beating up on bad olines maybe that would hold them back a bit but I don’t think it works that way 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Are these calculations all over the map intentionally ? To cause conversation ? I’m not sure why some of these results are so absurdly contradictory to what you’re actually watching.

Are they just determined to be smarter than the old guard prior to analytics. Strange.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That was an article with someone referencing PFF. Not actually a PFF site. The author is probably using data from last year after Von went down. 

Seems just poorly written.

I suspect, either poorly written or poorly researched.  It should read something like: "After Von Miller's Thanksgiving Day injury last year the Bills pass rush ranked...........according to PFF but this year they rank them _________ after 4 games.

But I could be wrong if what Einstein has reported is accurate.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

41 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Ed Oliver is literally 3rd in the league in pressures from the DT position but he’s their 43rd rated DT. 
I’m at a loss for words but it is what it is. 

And he has 6 TFLs in the run game so not like that is dragging him down.

• Agree 1

And this is why people laugh at pff, 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They also hate ocyrus Torrence lol I don’t think pff even normalizes their score based on opponents so there’s really nothing to support the bills having a bad pass rush.  If they got less points for beating up on bad olines maybe that would hold them back a bit but I don’t think it works that way 

Never forget their crusade pushing Josh as a failure, until they had no choice but to admit Josh is elite.

F# pff

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

When will we stop with PFF. Whether it's good or bad for the Bills, THEY SUCK REGARDLESS.

They're grades are trash. Stop giving them internet traffic.

They know a lot of our fans get upset and flood their pages when they do stuff like this so they keep doing it. IIRC they’ve admitted to doing it. 

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

When will we stop with PFF. Whether it's good or bad for the Bills, THEY SUCK REGARDLESS.

They're grades are trash. Stop giving them internet traffic.

Just because you do not like or agree with the grades do not mean that they are trash. 

Every single NFL team as well as 80+ college teams pay PFF for their data. And it's not because these teams like to waste money.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Just because you do not like or agree with the grades do not mean that they are trash. 

Every single NFL team as well as 80+ college teams pay PFF for their data. And it's not because these teams like to waste money.

subscriber cope

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, wppete said:

More evidence PFF is a joke and a huge scam for whoever pays for the nonsense. 

The Bills pay for it.

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Ed Oliver is literally 3rd in the league in pressures from the DT position but he’s their 43rd rated DT. 

I’m at a loss for words but it is what it is. 

The PFF metrics are essentially indicating that Ed Oliver is doing well due to DaQuan Jones dominance next to him. They have Jones as a top 5 DT in the entire NFL - right next to Aaron Donald and Chris Jones. Oliver is tied for 27th in QB hurries. He is 24th in hits. 

12 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

PFF grades are whatever Chris "I'm in love with Patrick Mahomes like legit manlove" Collinsworth thinks at given moment, and there's a whole army of unpaid interns who have to back the math into it, im convinced

PFF has graded Mahomes fairly poorly this season. He is tied with Kirk Cousins.

Edited by Einstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yes, I can confirm this is true. I have to dig into the numbers to see why (on the road right now).

Edit; PFF is assigning much of our pass rush success to excellent coverage.

Definitely do not agree with this and very little would.

For instance, I know all of our sacks on Sam Howell came when he held the ball for 4 seconds.  That doesn't just mean coverage sack.  Howell had to move around in the pocket because he was getting pressured from multiple areas which causes him to hold the ball longer as well.  We have very tall Defensive ends and Rosseau rushes from the middle which blocks the QB's vision....causes the QB hold onto the ball.

Tua had only been touched 5 times prior to playing us.  We got to him several times.

We took away Tua's first read and got to him before he could comfortably get to his second read.  

We've seen this DL collapsing pockets constantly.  There isn't a better pass rusher from the interior than Oliver right now.

You know I am not a PFF grades/rankings person and this is a prime example of how this is pretty poor subjective grade.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Definitely do not agree with this and very little would.

For instance, I know all of our sacks on Sam Howell came when he held the ball for 4 seconds.  That doesn't just mean coverage sack.  Howell had to move around in the pocket because he was getting pressured from multiple areas which causes him to hold the ball longer as well.  We have very tall Defensive ends and Rosseau rushes from the middle which blocks the QB's vision....causes the QB hold onto the ball.

Tua had only been touched 5 times prior to playing us.  We got to him several times.

We took away Tua's first read and got to him before he could comfortably get to his second read.  

We've seen this DL collapsing pockets constantly.  There isn't a better pass rusher from the interior than Oliver right now.

You know I am not a PFF grades/rankings person and this is a prime example of how this is pretty poor subjective grade.

but muh analytics

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

They aren't paying for the same data that the casual fan gets.  I am 100% positive Beane and McDermott are paying $12-$15 a month to review position player and team grades/rankings.  

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They aren't paying for the same data that the casual fan gets.  I am 100% positive Beane and McDermott are paying $12-$15 a month to review position player and team grades/rankings.  

Agreed, definitely not $12-$15/mo. From what i've heard teams are paying over $100k for the data.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/fantasy/football/player-news?playerNewsId=0000018b-04e4-dc36-a9fb-cfe525860000

Sorry, won’t embed.  But that can’t possibly be correct, can it?

This is exactly why stats are for losers. Because stats can be brought up to make any argument.

Replace the word “best” in the linked video with “stats” and you have the answer. ***NSFW***

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Agreed, definitely not $12-$15/mo. From what i've heard teams are paying over $100k for the data.

Do you think with this data, our opponents are going to start to game plan going downfield more against us?  Since our pass rush is so poor, the QB will have time to throw or get to their 3rd or 4th read?

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/fantasy/football/player-news?playerNewsId=0000018b-04e4-dc36-a9fb-cfe525860000

Sorry, won’t embed.  But that can’t possibly be correct, can it?

We have 16 team sacks, which is tied for #1 in the league. I know that this is not the only stat that matters for pass rushing, but it is definitely an indicator of success.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/stat/passing/table/passing/sort/sacks/dir/desc

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Since our pass rush is so poor, the QB will have time to throw or get to their 3rd or 4th read?

To be honest I don't agree with PFF's take on our pass rush. It doesnt match with what i've seen on the field.

However, I think we find out if they're correct this week. Tre is obviously out and Benford is practicing with a red jersey, so he may be out. If the pass rush is really a benefit of great coverage then we may realize it on Sunday morning.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.