PFF says we have the 8th WORST pass rush?

Virgil

On 10/6/2023 at 3:03 PM, Gugny said:

In no universe is Ed Oliver remotely close to Bosa. 

Just because they throw a bunch of numbers at you that somehow make sense to them (they don’t), doesn’t mean they’re accurate in any way. 

Bunk. 

I would imagine that Oliver may have more hurries, sacks, and QB hits than Bosa but I would also imagine that Bosa soaks up way more double and triple teams than Oliver who may get double sometimes but not consistently yet. That's why PFF and football "analytics" in general are flawed. I think PFF and football outsiders and these analytics are somewhat useful data points I think because there are so many moving parts and assignments that are unknown by whoever is watching. 

Always take PFF or any football analytics with a grain of salt. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I would imagine that Oliver may have more hurries, sacks, and QB hits than Bosa but I would also imagine that Bosa soaks up way more double and triple teams than Oliver who may get double sometimes but not consistently yet. That's why PFF and football "analytics" in general are flawed. I think PFF and football outsiders and these analytics are somewhat useful data points I think because there are so many moving parts and assignments that are unknown by whoever is watching. 

Always take PFF or any football analytics with a grain of salt. 

Oliver has consistently been at the upper end of the rankings in terms of facing double teams. 

EDIT: though to your point through 4 weeks of the 2023 season nobody has seen a higher rate of double teams than Nick Bosa in the entire league.

On football analytics generally, anyone taking them as gospel is an idiot. They are useful tools and I don't agree with anyone who calls them worthless. But you are right that you have to take with a grain of salt. Football is a more complex game than is easy to distill into any set of numbers.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.