Diggs doesn't move on running plays

MikeSpeed

I hate starting topics, and I'm not sure if this was already discussed if so feel free to remove this if it has. I was watching Diggs during the game and if we are running the ball he never moves. Now he had a great game, but if I am a D coordinator I would let my guys know not to bite on the play fake if he's running because it's going to be a pass. I'd have the corner that's covering him to be yelling pass the second he starts running.

I'm not trying to stir up anything and this could very well be a non-issue. I was just pointing out what I saw.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

I hate starting topics, and I'm not sure if this was already discussed if so feel free to remove this if it has. I was watching Diggs during the game and if we are running the ball he never moves. Now he had a great game, but if I am a D coordinator I would let my guys know not to bite on the play fake if he's running because it's going to be a pass. I'd have the corner that's covering him to be yelling pass the second he starts running.

I'm not trying to stir up anything and this could very well be a non-issue. I was just pointing out what I saw.

LBs are not going to be looking outside at Stefon Diggs at the snap.

And having a corner yell something at them is not going to work.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 8
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

The amount of time it takes you to realize that Diggs isn't moving and to yell out "Pass" or whatever, the play fake has already happened and the defenders have either bitten or not.

The only regrettable thing about this is that Diggs is not participating in run blocking, which usually does not matter much when you are way out wide.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'm not sure if this mean anything or not, but I hear that teams will do things to put out tape that show different tendencies. I haven't watched for this specifically so I can't say one way or another. Good catch.  

Dorsey intentionally did things against Miami that went away from the tendencies they showed the first 3 games...the first TD pass to Davis off the fake swing to Cook was one of those.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So this was a little funny lol.

He gets pushed by the DB when he wasn’t paying attention.

I like how the DB isn't remotely keyed into the running play coming towards him either.  Him and Diggs might as well have been on separate planets.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Dorsey intentionally did things against Miami that went away from the tendencies they showed the first 3 games...the first TD pass to Davis off the fake swing to Cook was one of those.

The entire season is just one long ass game of chess

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

I never said I would tell my guys not to move, just not to believe it's a run if Diggs is running. For all I know it's like the guys above said Maybe they are setting up the Jags for a big play this weekend by showing a "fake" tendency.

Yea maybe they have a delayed screen pass to Diggs once they bite on a fake run hsndoff.  

• Like (+1) 1

If he's split out wide and the action is in the middle, there really isn't much for him to do.  The DB in coverage isn't going to be able to make much of a play on it, and theres 10 other defenders nearer the ball so he probably would rather save his juice for covering diggs.  If the run action is outside, then obviously get up field and throw a block.  

I suppose he could run a "route" but wouldn't you rather him save that kind of thing for when we are calling pass plays?  

6 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I put this in the category of Bruce Smith’s practice schedule 1985-1999. He’s earned the right to do whatever he wants. 

Yea never hurt he took off preseason much of the time but when real games came  he was there. 

37 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

I never said I would tell my guys not to move, just not to believe it's a run if Diggs is running. For all I know it's like the guys above said Maybe they are setting up the Jags for a big play this weekend by showing a "fake" tendency.

Are you under the impression that the D front is looking at Diggs when the ball is snapped?

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

This play has been in the playbook since Allen’s rookie season. He threw a TD to an obscure TE off this same design when we beat Minnesota in the ‘Barr Leap’ game.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So this was a little funny lol.

He gets pushed by the DB when he was walking and not paying attention.

Whoa.

See also, btw, on GD touchdown: Kinkaid accidentally dumps Murray, ass-over-teakettle, as they cross routes.

Gotta clean that up boys.

Edited by Dukestreetking
Not Cook
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

It’s not the end of the world, but ideally he’d be blocking on running plays. Obviously if the play is wide to his side, but also for plays to the middle or even the other side of the field. He should be looking for a deep safety or other downfield player in case the run breaks. WRs blocking downfield are often the difference between a long run and a long TD.

Edited by vincec

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.