Schefter: Von to resume practicing this week

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

McDermott just recently said that Tre White is finally coming back to form. That's nearly 2 years after his acl injury.

It's possible that Von is not back to his normal self until next season.

That’s definitely true.  There are also many cases in which the players are back to form much earlier than that.  

some dudes are built different.  Imo, Von is built different.  He’ll be old Von come january at the latest imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

That’s definitely true.  There are also many cases in which the players are back to form much earlier than that.  

some dudes are built different.  Imo, Von is built different.  He’ll be old Von come january at the latest imo. 

this. It was in 2013-14,  but last time Von tore his acl mid season….he came back and recorded 14 sacks the following year. 

I’m just really excited to see the terror Von, Floyd, Greg and Ed cause on 3rd downs

• Agree 2

Thought I heard he was cleared before the season but all parties agreed more time would only help because of the long season.

if true I’m sure he’s been working out already, just not practicing with the team with pads. Obviously game ready will take a couple weeks

4 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Thought I heard he was cleared before the season but all parties agreed more time would only help because of the long season.

if true I’m sure he’s been working out already, just not practicing with the team with pads. Obviously game ready will take a couple weeks

I really doubt he is activated and plays in London.  He comes back in front of the fans for the Giants game is my bet.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, julian said:

Von is a different animal, Tre had to battle his own state of mind in getting ba k on the field, Von has been there and done that already and the mental aspect will not be an issue.

That’s not to say he may not need some time physically.

also, remember Vons tear did not even show up on an MRI. They had to do an exploratory to even find it. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Didn't he say he could've gone Week 1? Wish we had him for tomorrow.

If the Bills lose tomorrow, I think they will bring him back quicker than they would normally. If the Bills are 2-2 overall, and 0-2 in the East, I could see some panic set in. I'd leave him in Buffalo for the London game and maybe bring him back after that.

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

So worst case scenario, he has to be activated to the 53 by the Patriots game in week 7?  Is that correct?

No they get 21 days after he's activated off PUP to make their decision. And they can't activate him until week 4 is over. If he practices next week they would have until after the week 7 game to decide if they wanted. So it could be week 8.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

McDermott just recently said that Tre White is finally coming back to form. That's nearly 2 years after his acl injury.

It's possible that Von is not back to his normal self until next season.

It depends on the player.  Miller tore his ACL back in December of 2013 and was back to his old self playing nine months removed.  He started the 2014 season and had four sacks in his first four games back.  If your definition of insanity holds up he should be his old self when he steps on the field.

3 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Personally I'd play him a little against the Giants & Pats, then ramp him up for Cincy.

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So Floyd normally plays on vons side. anyone know if von or floyd can play on the other end?

Von can play both, not sure about Floyd.

could just line both of them up outside the OT next to each other on 3rd downs…thad be a nightmare for any offensive line

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If they beat Miami this weekend, then keep him on the bench until Cincinnati 

play him whenever he’s ready. Guessing week 6-7

2 hours ago, Tuco said:

No they get 21 days after he's activated off PUP to make their decision. And they can't activate him until week 4 is over. If he practices next week they would have until after the week 7 game to decide if they wanted. So it could be week 8.

I wonder if they can make him active, get dinged in practice and then put on short term disability.

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I wonder if they can make him active, get dinged in practice and then put on short term disability.

I suppose they could. But why? They don't have to activate him this week. They can wait as long as they want. The three week window only kicks in after he's activated.

12 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm going to wait and see how they want to get him back to full time.  I would guess a DE has to get cut to make room for him.

Kingsley Jonathan seems likely to be the guy.  Not sure if he would clear waivers. 

Lawson could also be the guy, I guess.  

Guys get banged up all the time so maybe they'll just take it one week at a time before activating him.  They may need him to start with

a decent number of snaps if another guy is banged up.

I wonder in Kingsley gets "tweaked" somehow the game before Von is activated and he sits on IR for a few weeks.  Funnier things have happened.

We will see how it shakes out for sure and someone heading to IR is always a possibility. But one name to keep an eye on if they do move someone off roster may be Poona Ford. Especially if he's inactive again today.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

My guess is as much we want to see him next weekend, I’m guessing the Jags won’t be the game.

id bet is NYG, and on a pitch count.  He’ll get worked in more and more with each week.

Once we get through the Jags, we could see him sparingly for the next few games.  We need him full court press for the. Engels game.

After we hit the hard part of our schedule with the Bengals, Jets, Eagles, and Chiefs.  We also will definitely need him in Miami towards the end of the year.

You mean "snap count. Pitch count is baseball" 🤪

8 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So Floyd normally plays on vons side. anyone know if von or floyd can play on the other end?

Good question.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

We will see how it shakes out for sure and someone heading to IR is always a possibility. But one name to keep an eye on if they do move someone off roster may be Poona Ford. Especially if he's inactive again today.

Slow the roll on that move. Ford will be valuable vs run heavy teams (the 2 or 3 left😆) and later in season rough weather games. Never forget missing DaQuan Jones against Cincinnati 😫

40 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Slow the roll on that move. Ford will be valuable vs run heavy teams (the 2 or 3 left😆) and later in season rough weather games. Never forget missing DaQuan Jones against Cincinnati 😫

Ford played 10 snaps week 1 against a team that had to lean into the run. He played 13 snaps against the Raiders. Then was a healthy inactive last week against a Washington team that leans to the run. 

He hasn't looked solid when he has played dating back to the preseason. I was excited to see him signed but at this point he's starting to look like a JAG...and they seem to like Kingsley Johnathan. Like I said above, if he's a healthy inactive again today (and Miami has a VERY healthy inside run game) then I think he's likely odd fella out.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ford played 10 snaps week 1 against a team that had to lean into the run. He played 13 snaps against the Raiders. Then was a healthy inactive last week against a Washington team that leans to the run. 

He hasn't looked solid when he has played dating back to the preseason. I was excited to see him signed but at this point he's starting to look like a JAG...and they seem to like Kingsley Johnathan. Like I said above, if he's a healthy inactive again today (and Miami has a VERY healthy inside run game) then I think he's likely odd fella out.

Definitely possible. Plus the potential upside with Jonathan maybe something the Bills don't wanna risk losing. Nicer problems to have compared to back in the day though!👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He just seems out of place in are system.

Kinda like that gut from the panthers

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

He just seems out of place in are system.

Kinda like that gut from the panthers

That's kind of the weird thing. The system we run on D upfront is a lot like what Seattle used when Poona had success. The Seahawks changed and he didn't fit that system. 

Popular thought had been that him coming here would help him bounce back to old form, but that hasn't seemed to happen IMO, either. I'm looking forward to inactive list here in a bit to see if him being a scratch last week was more of a match up thing or if Johnathan has passed him.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The 'Sports Metaphor Police' can be an even more rabid subcategory of the 'Grammar Police'.  Infringe on their territory at your own peril. 😳

I was only quoting this mockingly from an earlier post. My bad.

We could also rightly use the basketball idea of “load management.”

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.