Over-reaction Three Weeks In.... Offense seems disjointed

Billsfan1972

26 minutes ago, Dan said:

I truly don’t know what people expect anymore.  I used to think people were spoiled at the end of the 2021 season, and the perfect playoff game against NE.  But, now, I think people just like to complain.  Or maybe people just aren’t happy unless they can drag other people down?  

Once again the Bills offense controlled the ball, had good balance running and passing, got everyone involved, limited mistakes, …punted once!  

And yet, it’s disjointed, players are under utilized, and lets just throw out entire quarters of play to prove how bad it was.  I’m sorry none of this is critical discussion.  This is just bitchin for the sake of bitchin.   

I’m sure there’s plenty of room on the Dolphin bandwagon for everyone that insists you're only good if you win by 50 or more points every week.  Although I imagine there fin fans upset that they didn’t score 80.   

Read the title.  I said over-reacting..  I also after a win made observations as to what I saw.  Better to address areas for concern after a win, then come here and do it after a loss.

Do a search leading up to the playoffs last year and these are pretty much the same concerns and the playoff opponents were not the LV Raiders and Washington Commanders.

Trust me, I hope I am over-reacting. 

Edited by Billsfan1972

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Have the Bills won 6 Super Bowls?  Did I miss something?

LOL, you just went against your own argument.  You want the game all on Josh Allen and his arm.  Have the Bills won any Super Bowls

with that scheme?  No.  So, the counterpoint is trying to blend some of the features that a team like New England did with Brady and

you post THAT reply. 

LOL, you "trolled" yourself with that post and I bet you can't even see it.

You're not worth the effort and I should know better, but that post is a gold nugget I couldn't resist!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here is what I will say.  The team has to execute on the schemes Dorsey is putting in place.  He is running a short to long progression for Josh, which from the last two games looks to be pretty effective.  Is Josh unloading shots downfield all game?  No.  But, he is working the flats more and engaging the short field in rythym.

What I think is an adjustment for most, Josh isn't moving around as much over the past two games.  He is getting a set pocket, standing tall, and delivering short route gains consistently.  When Josh moves around, it creates a bit more buzz, and a little more excitement to the offense.  That excitement leads some to believe its more effective to play that way.

Honestly, the offense I've seen over the past two weeks is completely sufficient for this team to win with.  It's not sexy, but it's consistent and effective in both phases.  You can tell, the Bills want to run the ball, impose in the trenches, and will unleash Allen as needed.  I dont mind it

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Read the title.  I sad over-reacting..  I also after a win made observations as to what I saw.  Better to address areas for concern after a win, then come here and do it after a loss.

Do a search leading up to the playoffs last year and these are pretty much the same concerns and the playoff opponents were not the LV Raiders and Washington Commanders.

Trust me, I hope I am over-reacting. 

You are overreacting.  

There’s one thing I’m certain of… no game, play call, or anything in September is going to win the Super Bowl in February.   Enjoy the wins while we get them.  

I'm just going to point out that I can't believe we're experiencing an era of Bills football that I'm alive for where the major topic of conversation on the board is that our offense looks 'clunky' or 'disjointed' despite literally being one of the top 5 scoring offenses the last few years.

Most NFL teams would KILL for our offensive production and all we can do is moan that it doesn't look pretty enough 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, uninja said:

I'm just going to point out that I can't believe we're experiencing an era of Bills football that I'm alive for where the major topic of conversation on the board is that our offense looks 'clunky' or 'disjointed' despite literally being one of the top 5 scoring offenses the last few years.

Most NFL teams would KILL for our offensive production and all we can do is moan that it doesn't look pretty enough 🤣

Better in September than in January/February.  Still however looks like some of the issues we saw from the Jets game on in 2022, 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It was only 16-0 through 3.  If Howell didn't make mistake after mistake and yes score on the 4th & goal, it was a game.  

While the game was never in doubt, it certainly was closer then it should have been through 3.

And what was he then doing in 2020 and 2021????  

Geez he was awful vs. The Jets I've been told, but what happened to 2020 Josh that some here thinks he needs to be neutered by McD? 

To start with he got his a really injured by not avoiding contact.  I know he sometimes can't avoid it if his oline gets beat but the extra stuff like dragging the defender out of bounds with him which ended up as the defender falling on Allen as he fell to the ground. May have caused some initial bruising at area he got injured  later in game. 

I think Bills fans are starting to suffer from "Dolphins Envy." The reason that the Bills offense looks "disjointed" nor "not crisp" is that it is designed to take advantage of Josh Allen's huge right arm and to get most of the passing yards through the air. The Fins and 49ers, on the other hand, have collected track teams with point guards at QB. 5-yard crossing routes with 10 yards of YAC look "smoother" than a 15-yard pass with no YAC. I've seen this all over this board. The OP in this thread. @Shaw66 Rockpile Review. @balln post-game comments. I think that fans long for the 49ers or Fins because as a fan it is much easier to watch your team play that way. Everything looks easy and low-risk. Well, we can't have that. Bills Mafia is on the Josh Allen rollercoaster so strap in.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cray51 said:

Honestly, the offense I've seen over the past two weeks is completely sufficient for this team to win with.  It's not sexy, but it's consistent and effective in both phases.  You can tell, the Bills want to run the ball, impose in the trenches, and will unleash Allen as needed.  I dont mind it

Sunday will be the first real showcase of this defense. The first three weeks have been

• W1: Nincompoop Never Was QB,
  • W2: Brady-Boosted Nincompoop Head Coach, and
  • W3: Rookie QB Finally With Enough Tape To Scheme Him Quiet.

Hopefully McDermott has the answers on D for all that Miami brings to the table. That's the only way you can afford not to get the guns ablazin'.

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Miss you too......  And I miss 300 yard passing games.  No way Allen shouldn't be throwing for 300+.  215 only yesterday.

But of course take it personally like you work for the Bills offense.

I made an observation and as expected the usual excuses fly. 

It was a very good win yesterday, but no way does this work vs. Miami.   

This offense is attempting to provide balance. Knowing without that the physical and mental burden on JA is too much.

I see this as a slow build. They are running and protecting the QB with more consistency. It’s a change that has to be made. It really doesn’t matter imho his yards total. Every D has fear of this throwing offense and its potential.
Let them fear the running game. Have JA under center more and then watch out. Thought Dorsey called a good game.. with the exception of shot gun on 4th and 1. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep 75 points the last two weeks (7 by the defense) and a very scary Miami team this week.

Yesterday was never in doubt, but face it the Bills only had 16 points entering the 4th.

Been said in other threads and not ready to state this is a serious issue, but the Offense just seems a little off (and let's forget about the Jets game).

Week two I commented the red zone was somewhat of a slog and while the Bills moved up and down the field, it was primarily dinks and dunks and little over the middle.  No screens, TE's seem underutilized and none of those 20 yard lasers Allen is great at. 

Yesterday a great TD pass to Davis (his only catch of the day) and a few bb's to Diggs, three big scrambles by Josh and the last drive 64 yards rushing (with the game over), but again the offense I hope is a work in progress as I am not seeing a team firing on all cylinders. 

As said hope it is just an over-reaction.

I believe we can boil your complaint down to Josh Allen didn’t pass for 300 yards.

Yep 75 points the last two weeks (7 by the defense) and a very scary Miami team this week.

Yesterday was never in doubt, but face it the Bills only had 16 points entering the 4th.

Been said in other threads and not ready to state this is a serious issue, but the Offense just seems a little off (and let's forget about the Jets game).

Week two I commented the red zone was somewhat of a slog and while the Bills moved up and down the field, it was primarily dinks and dunks and little over the middle.  No screens, TE's seem underutilized and none of those 20 yard lasers Allen is great at. 

Yesterday a great TD pass to Davis (his only catch of the day) and a few bb's to Diggs, three big scrambles by Josh and the last drive 64 yards rushing (with the game over), but again the offense I hope is a work in progress as I am not seeing a team firing on all cylinders. 

They have absolutely no idea how to use 1 TE let alone 2.  Everything they get is a dump off or thrown to them running towards the sidelines. Nothing attacking the center of the field. We are seeing a lot of 2 high safeties? Hmm, where is the hole in that defense I wonder....

Unlike last year, I think the last two weeks was unspectacular but highly efficient. The problem for fans is they are used to the over the top down the field offense that is humming at all times. Teams have stopped that. Now we must be boring and matriculate more often. The reason the Dolphins can do it is there is just so much damn speed on that offense. 

Just now, That's No Moon said:

They have absolutely no idea how to use 1 TE let alone 2.  Everything they get is a dump off or thrown to them running towards the sidelines. Nothing attacking the center of the field. We are seeing a lot of 2 high safeties? Hmm, where is the hole in that defense I wonder....

They are doing that because the Right Tackle sucks and they have to chip for him all the time. They chip and release to the flat like 35% of the time I would bet. 

• Like (+1) 1

Week 1, our quarterback refused to take what the defense gave him.  He forced throws into coverage, and ended up turning the ball over 4 times.  It's hard to judge how anything else is working when your QB is playing like this.

Week 2, the offense played fantastic.  

Week 3, we moved the ball pretty well all game, but struggled putting it into the endzone.  There were a couple drives killed due to penalties.  My opinion is that our short-yardage play calling was iffy too.

From my seat, it seemed that Ken Dorsey went away from the short/quick pass game again this week.  The quarterback was back in shotgun (instead of under center), and the goal was attacking mostly downfield.  The tight ends were almost invisible in the passing game.  This kind of offense is fun to watch, but it's much more inconsistent.  Not sure if Dorsey has a reason for continually going back to this strategy.  Maybe it was how Washington was playing us.  But it seems the offense clicks WAY better when we attack with check-downs and underneath throws.

The offense is still a work in progress with 2 new starters at OG, and a OC that is still figuring out the 12 formation and how to use Kincaid.  

We are better at RB and the left side of the OL has been very good.   We need better and more consistent play from the RT and WR2.  

Dorsey makes some ponderous calls, especially short yardage.  

Not worried right now as long as they keep the turnovers down and stay healthy -  I hope they peak later in the season when it really counts.  

• Like (+1) 1

We are 5th in the NFL in rushing, without Josh Allen carrying the rushing load.  This is part of what comes with Balance.  

The Bills had the game totally in control Sunday, they did not need to be hyper aggressive on offense, they played smart football while the defense was dominating the other side.  

Josh Allen has specifically talked about how he has been sat down and talked to about full game and situational awareness, which specifically includes knowing your opponent, understanding who the opposing QB is and the opposing offense on when to gauge being more aggressive, take more chances, etc.

In a game like Washington, where the D is playing like it is, the Bills offense isn't going to take as many chances or higher risk throws than needed.  In a game where the opponent is a more dangerous QB and offense like the Miami game coming up, I think we will see the offense crank the aggressiveness up.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, eball said:

I haven’t looked at the play-by-play but it appeared to me the Bills made a concerted effort to run the ball on 1st and 2nd downs in the first half yesterday, and those plays were simply stuffed.  It wasn’t the game plan, it was the execution and Washington was prepared to defend the run.

I know everyone is up in arms about the 4th down call.  I get it, I really do, but the Bills had not been “successful” all game in short yardage and it was a safe play call, the DL just made a good play.

Only in the 4th quarter did the Bills finally wear down the Commandos and find success running.

The Davis drop was a big drive killer.

I think Dorsey is doing fine…we are spreading the ball around and still getting it to Diggs.  Not every game is going to be the offense moving like a hot knife through butter.  Washington has talent on defense.

Yes, the announcers made it abundantly clear Was had a great front four, to the extent I would of thought we was playing the 85 Bears if I couldn't see the game

Nitpicking:

• You can see when the pass is being forced to Diggs.  I'd like to see additional pass distribution to different receivers to include some critical downs.  Develop other players, be less predictable, prepare in case Diggs is out a game. Knox and Shakir only had one reception each.  Glad to see Sherfield get involved.
  • The Bills will win when Allen is patient.  I choose victories over crazy athletic highlight plays.  Get me to 3rd and 2 in the most boring manner rather than counting on some extended highlight play to convert from 3rd and 9.
  • The long interception was a reversion to Week 1.  

What I'm tired of reading is the # who have turned on Allen and ready to turn him into an athletic game manager and Dorsey and McD need to reign him in.

Look at this thread and how many seem so happy with "Game Management" Josh (especially vs. the Raiders).

I'm sure that's what Chiefs fans want from Mahomes too.....🤪

• Vomit 1

13 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Get me to 3rd and 2 in the most boring manner rather than counting on some extended highlight play to convert from 3rd and 9.

This is part of the problem.  We are in third and long too many times.

3rd and 10, 8, 9, 8, 8, 12, 10, 2, 4, 2  That was the first half (not in order as I put the shorts last.)

3rd and 20 (this was the int,) 5, 7, 2, 2, 2  This was the second half.  Some of it was just running game burning clock.

That doesn't even include all the second and longs where a lot of times it's greater than 10.  Josh is having to make perfect plays on third down too often and this is where the dink and dunk and poor play calling like draws on 2nd and 12 that everyone in the world knows is coming will collapse against teams like Miami that can put up points.  If they want to dink and dunk, that's fine. They need to do a better job on first and second down though.  Play calling needs to be better too.  The first two games the play calling was ok but this game it was pretty bad.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What I'm tired of reading is the # who have turned on Allen and ready to turn him into an athletic game manager and Dorsey and McD need to reign him in.

Look at this thread and how many seem so happy with "Game Management" Josh (especially vs. the Raiders).

Talk about purposely misconstruing what those people were saying.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The simple problem is they don’t have anyone besides Diggs who can consistently win his one on one matchups.  So they have to rely on scheme and Allen’s heroics if the defense takes Diggs out of the equation.

Kincaid and Knox have been pretty consistent. I honestly believe the offense is so much different than last year, they are still figuring things out. 12 personnel is pretty foreign considering they only did it 3% of the time last year.  Running the ball with RBs instead of relying on a read option and Josh possibly running is new. Josh is actually taking the snap and handing off in one smooth motion instead of scanning the D and trying to decide whether to hand off or keep it himself while the defense closes in. You can't  really tell how good the running game is going to be until you actually start doing it against different defenses. It's early in the season. The offense is learning some new tricks.

It will be interesting to see what new wrinkles they add throughout the season, but it is still early. Not everything will go as planned against a great defense, so the only thing you can really do is learn from mistakes and keep pushing the bar higher. If the players were so doubtful, they've all ready lost.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rockinon said:

Kincaid and Knox have been pretty consistent. I honestly believe the offense is so much different than last year, they are still figuring things out. 12 personnel is pretty foreign considering they only did it 3% of the time last year.  Running the ball with RBs instead of relying on a read option and Josh possibly running is new. Josh is actually taking the snap and handing off in one smooth motion instead of scanning the D and trying to decide whether to hand off or keep it himself while the defense closes in. You can't  really tell how good the running game is going to be until you actually start doing it against different defenses. It's early in the season. The offense is learning some new tricks.

It will be interesting to see what new wrinkles they add throughout the season, but it is still early. Not everything will go as planned against a great defense, so the only thing you can really do is learn from mistakes and keep pushing the bar higher. If the players were so doubtful, they've all ready lost.

The Bills scored on all but 3 drives. The offense largely in the red zone played very conservatively because they knew how much the defense was dominating. They knew that field goals would build a big enough lead so why take risks? That's playing complementary football to supplement a defense that is playing well. 

Next week the Bills offense will likely need to play pedal to the metal so we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Too many attempts to run Cook up the middle.  The Commander's D line is above average (not as good as advertised, though) yet Dorsey kept trying to get Cook through the middle. 

And the red zone futility is going to kill them against strong teams.  

I don't see Josh as the problem.  I think it's Dorsey.

14 hours ago, gobills404 said:

I just took the Chiefs 2nd quarter vs the Bears “out of the equation” for no reason and it turns out they only scored 14 points, not 41. I think their offense might be a little disjointed as well. 

The Broncos didn’t show up for all 4 quarters so if you take those away…the Dolphins scored zero points.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I don't think anyone has turned on Josh. And speaking only for myself but I certainly don't want McDermott or Dorsey to reign him in. I just want Josh to make consistently better decisions. He lost us the game at the Jets with his decision making. He was exceptional in that regard against the Raiders. He was somewhere in between against the Commanders. Didn't mind the interception - that was a calculated risk (and I thought while it wasn't catchable for Gabe he could have played defense on it) but there was an earlier throw down the middle of the field into double coverage on 3rd down where he had an easy completion for a first down to Kincaid that he should have taken.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think anyone has turned on Josh. And speaking only for myself but I certainly don't want McDermott or Dorsey to reign him in. I just want Josh to make consistently better decisions. He lost us the game at the Jets with his decision making. He was exceptional in that regard against the Raiders. He was somewhere in between against the Commanders. Didn't mind the interception - that was a calculated risk (and I thought while it wasn't catchable for Gabe he could have played defense on it) but there was an earlier throw down the middle of the field into double coverage on 3rd down where he had an easy completion for a first down to Kincaid that he should have taken.

So I used a little hyperbole in some posts.  I'm just making a point.  

The question is why is Josh not making better decisions and what happened to the Josh that was in 2020 & 2021.  Somewhere around the middle of 2022 things changed and my worry is that the game plans and schemes have resulted in frustration and Allen thinking he needs to do more.

Look at Diggs and how he reacted during and has after the Cincy game.  Sorry tells me something is off. 

Didn't watch the Jets game (and happy for that).

Miami will be the test and I look forward to a week of armchair coaches going on about Allen managing the game, TOP and keeping Miami off the field.

Sorry I think Allen needs to throw for 350 (maybe 400+) and the Bills convert in the red zone.  

• Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So I used a little hyperbole in some posts.  I'm just making a point.  

The question is why is Josh not making better decisions and what happened to the Josh that was in 2020 & 2021.  Somewhere around the middle of 2022 things changed and my worry is that the game plans and schemes have resulted in frustration and Allen thinking he needs to do more.

Look at Diggs and how he reacted during and has after the Cincy game.  Sorry tells me something is off. 

Didn't watch the Jets game (and happy for that).

Miami will be the test and I look forward to a week of armchair coaches going on about Allen managing the game, TOP and keeping Miami off the field.

Sorry I think Allen needs to throw for 350 (maybe 400+) and the Bills convert in the red zone.  

There has definitely been a drop off of sorts since the middle of last year.... and there are a lot of factors but Josh's performance is one of them. There were excuses last year with the piss poor OL and the injury. This year he has to be consistent. To an extent the excuses are removed.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There has definitely been a drop off of sorts since the middle of last year.... and there are a lot of factors but Josh's performance is one of them. There were excuses last year with the piss poor OL and the injury. This year he has to be consistent. To an extent the excuses are removed.

I just haven't seen Dorsey putting him in good positions to succeed.  Look at all the second and longs vs. Washington.  Nothing seems simple.  When was the last simple screen that gained chunks yards, a quick slant or well designed red zone td pass?

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Dislike 1

On 9/25/2023 at 6:57 AM, Billznut said:

I think what we are witnessing is the evolution into what the Bills braintrust sees as their “blueprint” to taking the next step for winning in the postseason. It’s no secret McD would like to see more running and more control by the trenches. I think we are witnessing Buffalo making the transformation from the pass happy offense of the last few years into what they think and hope will finally get them over the finish line in Jan and Feb. It will be a work in progress with peaks and valleys all season, seeing what works and what doesn’t. I expect the plan is to be firmly comfortable with this “new” style balanced offense by December for the home stretch. And I bet by next season they have it even more perfected. 

Post Josh—we never had a running game like this.  Cook is not a grind out the yards when defenses expect the run—he’s best at getting to the edge and cutting back between the tackles.   Neither lend themselves to picking up those tough 2-4 yards you need when the D knows you have to run because Josh running with his Superman cape as our RB1 on every tough rushing down was Russian Roulette.  I want him to retire a Bill and Murray and Harris are strong runners who can and have gotten us those tough  yards.  OL keeps up good work and we have a team that could have held off the Jets with a 13-3 halftime by pound the ball and grind D and the clock. Protect Josh while being able to win those battles.

Edited by biggerdaddynj

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I just haven't seen Dorsey putting him in good positions to succeed.  Look at all the second and longs vs. Washington.  Nothing seems simple.  When was the last simple screen that gained chunks yards, a quick slant or well designed red zone td pass?

Dorsey did not call a good game against Washington. I agree. But actually we did run a few slants well in the game. We are bad at screens. It is partly we telegraph them and partly teams don't surge upfield in their rush v us anyway because of Josh's legs. The Ravens have had the same issue with screens and again it is because teams hold back on their rush a bit anyway because of Lamar's legs. 

And I think the redzone design is a legit critcism too. But over the first two games I thought Dorsey did a good job with gameplans and playcalling. This past week was a bit of a clunker for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think anyone has turned on Josh. And speaking only for myself but I certainly don't want McDermott or Dorsey to rein him in. I just want Josh to make consistently better decisions. He lost us the game at the Jets with his decision making. He was exceptional in that regard against the Raiders. He was somewhere in between against the Commanders. Didn't mind the interception - that was a calculated risk (and I thought while it wasn't catchable for Gabe he could have played defense on it) but there was an earlier throw down the middle of the field into double coverage on 3rd down where he had an easy completion for a first down to Kincaid that he should have taken.

The pick to gabe was a punt that could turn into PI

on 3rd and 20 Im great with that and would encourage Gabe to worry less about playing defense and more about trying to draw a foul because it’s the rare time that OPI or an interception dont matter at all. Go make a play towards the ball not the defender.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I pick to gabe was a punt that could turn into PI

on 3rd and 20 Im great with that and would encourage Gabe to worry less about playing defense and more about trying to draw a foul because it’s the rare time that OPI or an interception dont matter at all. Go make a play towards the ball not the defender.

Yea he coulda done that as well. He did nothing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.