9/24/23 Week 3 GAMEDAY Bills vs Commanders Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

Happy 🍂 Autumn!

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Allen. One is dangerously reckless and will turn a happy victory into a horrible loss. The other will be the ‘excellence of execution’ and be honored with many Player of the Week awards. As evidenced in our 1st 2 games, whichever one shows up on Gameday goes a very long way in determining the outcome. 

We witnessed James Cook’s breakout performance last Sunday who, along with hard earned runs by Murray & Harris and a true commitment to ground & pound were a treat for our sore, longing eyes. When Mr. Allen’s rushing stats read 3 carry’s for 7 yrds and we amass nearly 200 yards rushing and over 40 minutes TOP, it means we’re not last years’ Bills. Our overhauled receiver group seems to get someone open every play and Kincaid continues to improve impressively! Will he find the endzone today? Perhaps more impressive is the play of our new & improved OL. It may be too early to anoint O’cy the Chosen One, but his insane streak of consecutive games without a penalty or sack allowed remains intact! With the addition of McGovern, 4/5ths of our OLine have improved significantly. We’ll found out how much so today! With such a dominating performance by the Offense, it’s a little tougher to gauge our new Defense. We didn’t get a sack but the rush looked very good. Oliver is earning his raise though stats don’t show it. Our Secondary seems noticeably slower or are taking bad angles. But we can pen in Milano for All Pro. By the way, Congrats to Coach McDermott coaching his 100th game while winning 63!

The true strength of the Washington Whatevers is their DLine. They’re virtually the same excellent group we faced 2 years ago with the only different player being Tim Settle, who now wears Scarlet Red and Royal Blue. What their defensive Secondary lack in excellent players, they try to make up for in numbers. They typically use as many as 6 DBs in their heavy ‘Buffalo Nickel’. Expect Diggs & Davisn to be doubled all day and for us to counter their full house Dbackfield with speed. Sherfield, Cook, Shakir & Harty can expect extra duty utilizing multiple crossing routes to free one up. 

There is so much familiarity with the coaching and managerial staffs that they know each other like Division opponents rather than out of Conference foes. Offensively, they seem to be a collection of jags and unknowns, with 2nd year Sam ‘Howling’ Howell starting at QB. Ron Rivera has built a solid coaching staff and the franchise is thrilled to be rid of Snyder as owner. They’re optimistic but not very talented, sans DL.

The weather is expected to be ‘Buffalo Weather’, so there’ll be familiarity with that as well. As long as it’s Mr. Allen getting off the plane, we should give ourselves the opportunity to tie Miami for the Division lead next week.

Enjoy the game!

Go BILLS!

Matt Bove’s 3 keys to the game
https://x.com/matt_bove/status/1705649966515949920?s=61&t=s-bkdDXJMtQhYqbJSiNmsQ

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Happy game day everyone! It's a rainy lazy Sunday, so sit back, relax, and enjoy an extra coffee today, and then get ready for the game. Time for Josh and the boyz to re-establish themselves as beasts of the AFC East. Sorry Commando's, you will be just a speed bump on the way back to the top today.

LETS GO, BUFFALO !!!!

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

The only players I know on the commanders are chase young, Terry mclauren, Logan Thomas and this Sam Howell guy who is a 5th round pick. Should be a good day right? 

I wouldn't judge (howell) by where he was selected in the draft. he can sling it and has a couple good weapons. that said, I still feel confident the D will keep him in check and JA and the offense will walk away with a victory.

33-17

Buffalo Bills Dion Dawkins will be the top player to watch against the Washington Commanders

01hb29x1ej8mebga193r.jpg

The Buffalo Bills offensive line will get what could be their biggest test of the season and possibly the biggest test they will face all season. The Washington Commanders have arguably the best defensive front four in the NFL, with multiple first-rounders all across the front.

I'm knocking on wood as I say this, but Dion Dawkins is off to a great start this season and has been rock solid through the first two weeks of the season. He's been in on 93 pass block snaps and has not given up a sack. Additionally, Dawkins has not committed any penalties in the young season.

He's earned a pass protection grade of 80.7, according to PFF and an overall grade of 77.2, which ranks him tenth among NFL tackles.

buffalowdown.com

• Like (+1) 2

Weather update onsite, its doing exactly what was predicted over the last couple days.  It’s a drenching rain this morning as the core of the depression is moving through DC/MD.  The rain is moving north and is supposed to lighten up as we get closer to Noon.  Maybe some light showers for the Anthem and start of the game and possibly no rain at all as it moves to the second half. At 7:50am The east side of the beltway where the stadium is, showing less precipitation than the western and north sides.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Happy GameDay…the first “normal” one for me this season!

Cooking up a little crabcake Benedict in a bit for brunch (with mimosas of course) and plan on enjoying a day of football starting with a big Bills win.

Let’s Go, Buffalo!!!

19-1, Babyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the D will hold Washington to 25 points or less. What worries me is the D line dominating the Bills O line, especially Brown. Yes, you can chip on that side, even keep Knox or fifth lineman in to help, but then you have seven players covering four receivers, with pressure coming up the middle and from the left, forcing short throws all day into rolled-up coverage. Basically the formula that helped the Bucs beat the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Consider too that the Wash. D-line may be better than the Bucs was, and the Bills O-line worse than Chiefs O-line back then. 

I still think the Bills prevail, simply because the Wash. linebackers and DBs aren't particularly strong, so YAC should be significant. And while Brown truly sucks in pass pro, he's an effective run blocker. So let Brown and Torrence cook for Cook, work in some play action off that. I'm also looking for a break-out game for Kincaid.

Bills 28-21

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, finn said:

I think the D will hold Washington to 25 points or less. What worries me is the D line dominating the Bills O line, especially Brown. Yes, you can chip on that side, even keep Knox or fifth lineman in to help, but then you have seven players covering four receivers, with pressure coming up the middle and from the left, forcing short throws all day into rolled-up coverage. Basically the formula that helped the Bucs beat the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Consider too that the Wash. D-line may be better than the Bucs was, and the Bills O-line worse than Chiefs O-line back then. 

I still think the Bills prevail, simply because the Wash. linebackers and DBs aren't particularly strong, so YAC should be significant. And while Brown truly sucks in pass pro, he's an effective run blocker. So let Brown and Torrence cook for Cook, work in some play action off that. I'm also looking for a break-out game for Kincaid.

Bills 28-21

Yea this worse case scenario. Bills need to run the damn ball in their 12 personnel w RBs. Blow up their light box. Pass game comes off that . Play action. Or try and go deep if wash comes out to 4-3

Edited by balln
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, finn said:

Bills 28-21

This OL is much better than the chiefs OL that lost to the Bucs.  There is not doubt. Not sure why you would think THAT OL is better than any OL evver.  It was all backup bums and is the reason they invested so much in the OL since that game  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Some interesting stuff:

With 4 catches today, Dalton Kincaid would be the first Bill ever to get 4+ catches in their first 3 games.

Since 2020, the Bills lead the league in PPG for and PPG against

Reid Furguson's 100th game for the Bills

Edited by Slippery Rubber Mats
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This OL is much better than the chiefs OL that lost to the Bucs.  There is not doubt. Not sure why you would think THAT OL is better than any OL evver.  It was all backup bums and is the reason they invested so much in the OL since that game  

You might be right. I was lazy, assuming the Chiefs line was always good, or at least better than ours. The product of long-standing envy. I stand corrected. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Washington Whatevers😀. They have a great DLine, but nothing special outside of that on D. They can get after the passer, but have been fooled by different formations, misdirection and by simply mixing things up. They are going to have problems with Buffalo's offense. Big problems. Denver put up 33pts against them. 

I smell another statement game coming. A blowout even. The Whatevers are in for a wake up call. Go Bills!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

The only players I know on the commanders are chase young, Terry mclauren, Logan Thomas and this Sam Howell guy who is a 5th round pick. Should be a good day right? 

Chase Young hasn't been good since 2020.

If our O schemes & executes like last week, this could be a laugher.

Anyone looking for pregame excitement, head out to North Collins this morning. Operation Lifesaver, railroad crossing safety, at 1130 will be running locomotives into automobiles🙂

Edited by MarkyMannn

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Happy 🍂 Autumn!

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Allen. One is dangerously reckless and will turn a happy victory into a horrible loss. The other will be the ‘excellence of execution’ and be honored with many Player of the Week awards. As evidenced in our 1st 2 games, whichever one shows up on Gameday goes a very long way in determining the outcome. 

Very true.

Go Bills! 

16 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Chase Young hasn't been good since 2020.

If our O schemes & executes like last week, this could be a laugher.

Anyone looking for pregame excitement, head out to North Collins this morning. Operation Lifesaver, railroad crossing safety, at 1130 will be running locomotives into automobiles🙂

I live about 11 minutes away. At the gym in Hamburg now may take a look on my way home 👍

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Spencer Brown is going to be the guy we saw last week, we are going to be a problem.

Spencer Brown did not have a “great” game if that is what you are implying.  He was given tons of help and was still beaten pretty regularly by Crosby…the Bills simply had a good plan and Allen got the ball out quickly.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.