Christian Kirksey is retiring

Dablitzkrieg

7 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

I have to question your reading comprehension here my dude. Wtf does counting or 5th grade math have anything to do with my post? Chill out man. Not that serious. 

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

You exaggerate Klein's age - I exaggerate your ability to subtract current year from year Klein was born. 

I think the miscalculation of his age had to do with an error in the "order of operations."

Remember PEMDAS: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, and Division (from left to right), Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

He wasn't released, he retired.  He's a 9-year veteran and could have signed with any team, anytime, on or off a practice squad.

I know he wasn't released . I guess i should have worded it differently meaning that after his paper work was done with the Bills and he was free to if he wanted to that including the possibility of changing his mind to then sign again with another team that he could .

But i didn't want to write all of that so i worded it the way i did . But thanks for giving me the info about him being able to sign with who ever i figured that he may have been able to but usually other teams come looking for the player not the other way around most times .

• Like (+1) 1

That's too bad.  I think he would have been at the very least a decent backup for Bernard.  Klein can play, but McDermott will have to tweak the defense if Klein has to start for an injured Bernard at some point.  Klein's skill set is different from Bernard's and he can't do some of the things the Bills are asking Bernard do.  At least he can't do them as well.  I wonder how Dorian Williams fits in the Bills' plans now.  Has that changed with the departure of Kirksey?

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, maddenboy said:

i suspect it might also be that whatever McBeane told him he needed to do (to improve himself) in order to pass Bernard, Kirksey just decided he didnt have it in himself to do all that, at this point in his career. 

Because otherwise, he might have (and he might have behind the scenes) asked to be cut or traded so he could catch on somewhere else.

Kirksey doesn't have to ask to be cut or traded or go behind the scenes to catch on somewhere else.  He's on the practice squad.  He's a free agent.  Any other team can sign him to their 53 man roster at any time.

I think a vet player like Kirksey doesn't have to be told what he needs to do.  He has eyes.  He watches the same film as the coaches.  He gets feedback and GPS data after every practice, I think the players have access to this routinely.   Remember when he came here, Bernard was a big unknown.  He hadn't played in any pre-season games due to hammy.  So Kirksey looks over the Bills MLB roster and says "I can beat out this Dodson guy, who else they got?  I'll be elevated to the roster and playing by week 3 if not week 2, easy peasy."

But after 2 weeks, Bernard has played pretty well and his arrow is trending up.  Kirksey goes "hmmmm, I might be on this practice squad for a while and it's not for me."  All 31 other teams could have signed him before and after he joined the Bills PS, so his agent is telling him "no interest, sorry".

So he retires.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/21/2023 at 9:29 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

Bc Bernard took his job pretty much. Sucks not having the depth, but Klein should be adequate 

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Kirksey doesn't have to ask to be cut or traded or go behind the scenes to catch on somewhere else.  He's on the practice squad.  He's a free agent.  Any other team can sign him to their 53 man roster at any time.

I think a vet player like Kirksey doesn't have to be told what he needs to do.  He has eyes.  He watches the same film as the coaches.  He gets feedback and GPS data after every practice, I think the players have access to this routinely.   Remember when he came here, Bernard was a big unknown.  He hadn't played in any pre-season games due to hammy.  So Kirksey looks over the Bills MLB roster and says "I can beat out this Dodson guy, who else they got?  I'll be elevated to the roster and playing by week 3 if not week 2, easy peasy.

But after 2 weeks, Bernard has played pretty well and his arrow is trending up.  Kirksey goes "hmmmm, I might be on this practice squad for a while and it's not for me."  All 31 other teams could have signed him before and after he joined the Bills PS, so his agent is telling him "no interest, sorry".

So he retires.

Excellent breakdown. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

20 hours ago, T master said:

Well that's a huge change from what he was saying when they brought him aboard I wonder if it was because they kept him on the practice squad & didn't bring him up ASAP ?? 

I guess we will find out if after he is released he signs with another team ... If that be the case then the Bills didn't need him around anyway !! 

If another team he wanted to sign with made him an offer, he didn't need to wait.  He could have signed right off the Bills practice squad.

11 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Bc Bernard took his job pretty much. Sucks not having the depth, but Klein should be adequate 

Excellent breakdown. 

Thanks!  Yep this.  Bills looked at him and said "as a backup stashed on the practice squad, Christian Kirksey >> AJ Klein.  Kirksey, you willing, you in."

Fans made it all into "We signed Christian Kirksey!  Yeah, he's on the practice squad, but that's just until he learns the calls.  He's better than Bernard, he's gonna be our new MLB!" ignoring that if a team really wants to be able to count on a guy, they usually find space on their 53 man roster. 

Vet players typically (not always) wind up on practice squads because no other team in the league wants to roster them.  See Beasley, Cole.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

First Shell, now Kirksey.  Who knows what's behind this.  Could be both those guys were just tired of the physical punishment and the challenges of staying in shape.  Could be they didn't want to back up someone, they wanted to play.  Maybe it was their wives, who were tired of moving and were not looking forward to seeing just how interesting a Buffalo winter might be.

I don't blame Beane for this unless he had inside info that we don't, that whispered that either or both were likely to retire.  There does seem to be a dearth of OTs and MLBs for whatever reason.  

5 minutes ago, Utah John said:

First Shell, now Kirksey.  Who knows what's behind this.  Could be both those guys were just tired of the physical punishment and the challenges of staying in shape.  Could be they didn't want to back up someone, they wanted to play.  Maybe it was their wives, who were tired of moving and were not looking forward to seeing just how interesting a Buffalo winter might be.

I don't blame Beane for this unless he had inside info that we don't, that whispered that either or both were likely to retire.  There does seem to be a dearth of OTs and MLBs for whatever reason.  

Guys retire while on team rosters all the time.  The Patriots have had 3 players retire this year, the Jets 2 and Dolphins 1.

Tampa leads this year with 4 retirees leaving the team.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/retired/

This is no big thing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/21/2023 at 8:17 AM, Logic said:

I think it was more so the "I was just waiting for Bernard to get hurt and Kirksey to take over" wording that I objected to.

Also, Kwon Alexander is 227. Fred Warner is 230. Lavonte David is 233. Matt Milano is 225.

Bernard is a bit slight, yes, but he's not tiny. His size compares reasonably well to some top flight linebackers around the league who have managed to have good to great careers.

I remember several seasons ago, early in Milano’s career, a color commentator referring to him as “… the undersized linebacker, Matt Milano.”  Of course, no one calls him that now. 

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Wall of fame!

Thurman Thomas is on Miami Wall Of fame. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Miami_Dolphins_in_the_Pro_Football_Hall_of_Fame

You need to re-read page.  It is a list of Players, coaches and personnel who can never get the fishy smell off them at NFL Hall of Fame.

The list of inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame includes players, coaches, and contributors (e.g., owners and team or league officials) who have "made outstanding contributions to professional football". The "charter" class of seventeen was selected in 1963.[1]

image.png

19 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Guys retire while on team rosters all the time.  The Patriots have had 3 players retire this year, the Jets 2 and Dolphins 1.

Tampa leads this year with 4 retirees leaving the team.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/retired/

This is no big thing.

Exactly.

The Bills retirements seems disproportionate because we follow the Bills closely.

Lots of veterans see/feel the writing on the wall during this time of the NFL calendar.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Exactly.

The Bills retirements seems disproportionate because we follow the Bills closely.

Lots of veterans see/feel the writing on the wall during this time of the NFL calendar.

It's also more prevalent with good teams. Vets who are on the fence to begin with think "I'll stick it out another year because I have a chance at a Lombardi". Then they come in and realize they really don't want to put that work in.

I think Kirksey was probably thinking about it already but saw an opportunity here with Bernard being a big question mark. Now that it seems he's got the MLB position on lock and Kirksey would probably be sitting on the PS making peanuts and would only being called upon if Bernard got hurt - he decided he'd rather be with his family, my guess.

• Agree 1

I don’t get the too small comments, at 6 1 225 he’s about an inch shorter & 15 lbs lighter than the average (6 2 240)  NFL LB.  

What he does lack in size he makes up in speed, instinct & aggression.

Kirksey wanted to play, his path was blocked.

Edited by PayDaBill$

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2023 at 8:30 AM, PayDaBill$ said:

I don’t get the too small comments, at 6 1 225 he’s about an inch shorter & 15 lbs lighter than the average (6 2 240)  NFL LB.  

What he does lack in size he makes up in speed, instinct & aggression.

Kirksey wanted to play, his path was blocked.

Looks like a path has been cleared!

Kirksey needs to come back and Klein needs to get up.

Sadly our LB and scheme is so specific that it's not easy to replace Milano no matter how good he is.

Klein has played multiple roles for under McD so maybe there is something there. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's retired. He doesn't want to play.

Why not tell Mario Williams it's time to come back.

How do you know?

He signed here. It's not impossible to think he saw Bernards emergence and realized he doesn't have a chance to start, so he retired.

I certainly don't know, but there is precedent for players unretiring when a team suddenly has a void at their position.

It's not like he retired years ago, it was this camp and it's week 5

• Like (+1) 1

Did he actually retire and turn in papers?  Believe there's a difference WRT eligibility to return if actually retired.  Just last week read how Matt Ryan did NOT turn in retirement papers so he could come back and play.  Not sure what it all means or doesn't mean, but apparently there is some type of difference.

3 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

How do you know?

He signed here. It's not impossible to think he saw Bernards emergence and realized he doesn't have a chance to start, so he retired.

I certainly don't know, but there is precedent for players unretiring when a team suddenly has a void at their position.

It's not like he retired years ago, it was this camp and it's week 5

he played 9 seasons--one complete one in the past 5 years....and he retired because he didn't want to be a backup?  He was released by his last 3 teams!!

Come on...lol

he got tired of the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.