Terrel Bernard Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

14 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

So, now when we know that Bernard might actually be a good player, isn't it time to start bashing Beane for drafting Dorian Williams? Why did we need him, when we already have two Pro-bowl LBs? :)

I'm glad you brought this up, because I think he's going to be a good pick too. The Beane bashing is ridiculous. 

• Agree 2

One of the best guys I can remember a Bills LB ever having (Kiko, Spikes, Paup are other ones who stand out). So happy for the guy and he should be DPOY of the week.

I still am blown away but how small he looks. I don’t know how a team doesn’t look at LBs and not try to pound with the run.  But I love the match up with Miami. 

let’s hope this continues. Amazing, amazing game. 

On 9/25/2023 at 9:58 AM, Clyde Smith said:

Bernard's plays so far is giving me flashbacks of Kiko Alonso rookie year. No one really expected him to ball out like that.

Agreed but he fell off really quick. Let’s hope this last longer.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/24/2023 at 5:23 PM, TheWeatherMan said:

Dear Chicago,

Thank you for pricing us out of the Edmunds market!  We now have a significantly better beast of a MLB secured with 4 year cheap cost controlled rookie contract.  

Sincerely,

Brandon Beane 

It doesn't stop there either.

Don't forget, because Chicago paid him so much, we are getting a 3rd round comp pick for Edmunds as well.

So, instead of paying Edmunds $18M per year, we essentially get Ed Oliver on a long term deal, Terrel Bernard at MLB, and another third round pick.

Not bad!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/24/2023 at 8:21 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Bernard will have times he’s washed away from the play or gets blown up.  Especially if the OL get to the second level.

But over the course of the game, were the mostly effective or mostly non-effective.

A few plays here or there doesn’t prove a point.

Bernard is playing very well so far.  We have a lot more of the season to declare him good or not.

He absolutely jumped off the page for me against the Commanders. He stood out in all 3 games actually.  I actually joked during the last game that Milano was wearing Bernard's jersey. It will be so fun to watch if we have 2 above average to elite LB's, to go along with that D-line.

That being said, I agree that this is a very small sample size, and now he needs to show consistency.

But if he does, boy will it be fun...

• Agree 1

On 9/17/2023 at 8:46 PM, Captain_Quint said:

For what it's worth, Belicheck is playing 3 safeties tonight against Miami. I think Bernard will have tough games on teams wanting to run on us, but against the pass he looks good so far. 

I could be mistaken, but I do believe the Raiders wanted to run on us.  Now it could be they can't run on anyone right now, and that's a big problem for them because their offense is built to work around the run game. 

Against Denver, 29 rush attempts to 20 pass attempts.  Against us, even split between run and pass.  Against the Stillers, they could taste that come from behind victory so they started to pass more at the end.

But the "want to run on" was there. 

On 9/26/2023 at 1:27 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

One of the best guys I can remember a Bills LB ever having (Kiko, Spikes, Paup are other ones who stand out). So happy for the guy and he should be DPOY of the week.

I still am blown away but how small he looks. I don’t know how a team doesn’t look at LBs and not try to pound with the run.  But I love the match up with Miami. 

let’s hope this continues. Amazing, amazing game. 

Agreed but he fell off really quick. Let’s hope this last longer.

As for his size I have to admit I overreacted. Partly this was because I think he looks smaller than he actually is. It is not unreasonable to expect that he will benefit from the Bills strength and conditioning program. Add just between 5 and 10 pounds to his frame and he is in exactly the same neighbourhood as almost all of the best coverage linebackers in the League. 

I'm watching the Cover 1 breakdown of Bernard and want to highlight 1 play that tells you a lot.

Look at this run fill at 16:25.

Bernard blocks the initial read and forces Brian Robinson to the right in a heavy formation. He then has the instincts and quickness to follow the pulling guard and tight end into the open lane. This run play would have been a huge gain with Edmunds. I'm sure of it. It also gives me confidence that Bernard can use his lateral quickness to overcome power run schemes.

We might have ourselves a keeper.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I'm watching the Cover 1 breakdown of Bernard and want to highlight 1 play that tells you a lot.

Bernard blocks the initial read and forces Brian Robinson to the right in a heavy formation. He then has the instincts and quickness to follow the pulling guard and tight end into the open lane. This run play would have been a huge gain with Edmunds. I'm sure of it. It also gives me confidence that Bernard can use his lateral quickness to overcome power run schemes.

Yeah I liked seeing him hide in the junk and then explode to the ball carrier. London Fletcher said playing MLB in run fits is a lot like a RB picking a hole to explode through. You gotta know where to fill and you have to do it fast. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Again on the long(est) run by Robinson, he fills the correct hole and is ready to tackle him when he cuts to the right, but gets blocked in the back (again, no call) and falls over, allowing Robinson to get by.

26 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Quieter game on the box score but Bernard popped in some Baldy Breakdown and that fumble recovery was huge. It's only four games in but Bernard is looking like a steal. I know it's his second year but it feels like we got another draft pick hit. 

You got the Baldy he popped in?  Been watching Baldy, didn't see

28 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Quieter game on the box score but Bernard popped in some Baldy Breakdown and that fumble recovery was huge. It's only four games in but Bernard is looking like a steal. I know it's his second year but it feels like we got another draft pick hit. 

I just think it’s amazing how people were pointing to him and talking about draft busts not that long ago

Sometimes people just need to be patient

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I just think it’s amazing how people were pointing to him and talking about draft busts not that long ago

He did look pretty crummy last preseason. A step slow, a size small. I dismissed his scoop and score as a lucky bounce. His regular season reps were as unremarkable as Edmunds really, but you'll take that for $1m rather than $20m or whatever it is.

This year, that '22 preseason scoop and score is looking less like an outlier and more like an indicator.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

“Not every team has a Milano and Bernard…”

-an analyst on ESPN today when asked about if the Bills put the blueprint out to stop the leagues best offense going into Week 4. 

Life is good. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It was on one of his Twitter breakdowns. Bernard shot the backdoor while Milano made the stop. It's not a stat line play but it sealed a hole on a run

Iirc cover 1 showed the same clip, it was excellent play by Bernard,

45 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

2022 Draft which was looking pretty awful last year coming back with a vengeance:

Elam, Cook, Bernard, Shakir, Benford.

Some key players in here. As well as some guys who will need to be counted on in the near future. 

Could end up being a good draft class even if Elam does not hit. 

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

People focused on his size. 

Benard is the same size as his teammate, All Pro Matt Milano.  It is the size of your LBs are when your defense is focused on stopping the pass. If the opponent runs, then you need to have the DL tie up blockers and let the LBs run to the ball. 

Edited by Bob in STL

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

“Not every team has a Milano and Bernard…”

-an analyst on ESPN today when asked about if the Bills put the blueprint out to stop the leagues best offense going into Week 4. 

With respect to the DL, I think Milano and Bernard are far and away the #1 reason for our defensive shutdowns over the past 3 weeks. Honorable mention to Taron Johnson. Our 2nd level is the best in the league and it isn't close. They're getting their hands on a lot of balls and they aren't letting anyone get past them.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/28/2023 at 11:20 AM, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah I liked seeing him hide in the junk and then explode to the ball carrier. London Fletcher said playing MLB in run fits is a lot like a RB picking a hole to explode through. You gotta know where to fill and you have to do it fast. 

....and that's where Tremaine's instincts failed him. He always chose the wrong hole. Terrell damn near had another int to go with his fumble recovery.  This kid is going to be incredible to watch develop. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.