Terrel Bernard Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

6 minutes ago, Prospector said:

Inigo Montoya: "Vizzini, I do not think that response is as clever as you think it is"

Mabe not but I certainly was wise enough not to disparage Bernard as our starting MLB.  I certainly wasn't expecting such a solid start to his handling that position especially with no real preseasoning.  He's just ready to serve right out of the box.  It's gonna be fun as we watch Milano and Bernard duke it out to see who can impact the games more each week.

Edited by AuntieEm

15 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Man was this board wrong about Bernard !

Meh.......sure there were a few people who thought they'd seen all they needed to see of Bernard even though he'd hardly played......

But the larger takeaway is how wrong SO MANY people were in excusing Tremaine Edmunds for never making plays.  

This defense is designed to create opportunities for the MLB to make plays.  

It was always correct to be critical of Edmunds for the lack of instinctiveness and the subsequent, near-complete lack of game changing plays for 5 years.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I laughed when the excuses for Edmunds not making any plays was that “he had too much on his plate/it’s not his job/he doesn’t play the same position as Milano, doesn’t have the same freedom to roam.” No, he just wasn’t a playmaker. Bernard undoubtedly has a nose for the football and is making the plays our last LB could not. 

and doesnt it feel like, in some ways, he decided not to be a playmaker? 

I mean, that's part of the frustration.  We keep thinking of all the things Tremaine could be doing.   If only . . . .

"dude.  . . . You were standing RIGHT THERE!   . . . wtf Tremaine?"

It seemed like he had a limit to how much injury risk he was going to take.   Like he had some higher responsibility (to family?) to not risk a second contract.

Edited by maddenboy

So funny - I was looking at the thread from when Bernard and Benford were named starters.  Everyone was ready to flush Bernard -- wasted pick, he's being forced in because McBeane picked him in the 3rd.  What BS.  He is a young Milano - very similar games.  Speed and instinct.  He will grow in bulk like Matt did.  Two-headed monster.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

I mean, that's part of the frustration.  We keep thinking of all the things Tremaine could be doing.   If only . . . .

It seemed like he had a limit to how much injury risk he was going to take.   Like he had some higher responsibility (to family?) to not risk a second contract.

No. He had a complete lack of anticipation. He was not computing fast enough. It was never a question of want-to, I would never question his heart.

Just now, TheWeatherMan said:

Dear Chicago,

Thank you for pricing us out of the Edmunds market!  We now have a significantly better beast of a MLB secured with 4 year cheap cost controlled rookie contract.  

Sincerely,

Brandon Beane 

and for likely a comp pick in the same round we got his replacement.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not to make this an Edmunds thread but watching him against the Chiefs and I saw him week 1 he really is just a big body who doesn’t know what he’s doing out there. Bernard has made more game changing plays in 3 weeks than he did in 5 years and that’s not an over exaggeration 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, Blank Stare said:

I’ll admit, while I wasn’t a TB hater, I wasn’t expecting this. His injury in the preseason really contributed to my uneasiness about him. That said, he started one game last year as a rookie and a lot of people were done with him. Ridiculous to think he couldn’t improve after one rough outing. 

It’s a consistent theme on TBD that players are judged to be boom/busts immediately with no opportunity or expectation that they can learn and improve.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Not to make this an Edmunds thread but watching him against the Chiefs and I saw him week 1 he really is just a big body who doesn’t know what he’s doing out there. Bernard has made more game changing plays in 3 weeks than he did in 5 years and that’s not an over exaggeration 

I watching him too, and there’s no big play out of him. And there should be at least a few, if he was that guy .. because KC is giving him plenty of opportunities lol 

45 minutes ago, Steptide said:

After 5 seasons with the bills, we still question beane and McD, and time after time, they're often right 

They were wrong to trade up for Tremaine and start him for 5 years.

I'll give them a little credit for not extending him on a monster contract.  

46 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

Well he got his 17 million even if he's only worth 1/3 of that.  Thank God we made the decision to move on.  Bernard so far is special and may just "out-splash" Milano.

14 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

It’s a consistent theme on TBD that players are judged to be boom/busts immediately with no opportunity or expectation that they can learn and improve.

To be fair, Bernard was a healthy scratch in the divisional game last year. The coaches gave him less and less snaps after his starting opportunity against the Jets until he wasn't even on the gameday roster. Then in training camp he had lost the job to Dodson and then suffered a hamstring injury that kept him out of the preseason. Nobody in their right mind thought he was going to take over the job and suddenly start lighting it up. Mostly I was just hoping to get replacement level play from that position. I would bet if you asked McDermott in confidence even he'd admit to bring surprised by Bernard's play. Out of nowhere he is playing like a superstar.

• Like (+1) 3

If he and Cook continue roughly on this trajectory, the McBeane drafts don't look as bad as the many have assumed. 

Small sample size for Bernard but I'm hopeful he can be a top-15 MLB which, for the money, is all we need him to be. If he's simply average and not good or a liability, that's acceptable too but maybe he's a little more.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well he got his 17 million even if he's only worth 1/3 of that.  Thank God we made the decision to move on.  Bernard so far is special and may just "out-splash" Milano.

The way Bienemy talked about Milano I wouldn't be surprised if they specifically avoided Milano today, Berard must have been a nasty surprise.

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think they compliment each other well and they seem to feast off each other in a friendly competitive way so I expect we are gonna see some amazing play from their tag teaming  opponents.

There isn’t much I don’t love about his game. 

keeps this up he will be a top 5 Mike. 

me personally think he is still a bit light but no false steps, no wasted movements. Great vision and reaction. 

I defended Edmunds a lot but I must say the areas that Edmunds struggled for me reaction times and instincts Bernard has them in spades. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's been real quiet from people who declared him a bust. Kinda wish I had the time and patience to go through my notifications and find the guy who was telling me he's just a bad football player and couldn't possibly develop.

Is it REALLY worth it? No. Move on, it's cool. The Bills dominated.

NOTE: I was not one of those people.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.