Elam a healthy scratch part deux (now part TRES) (now part QUATRO)

FireChans

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

He and his scouting team selected him. It’s looking like Beane’s worst 1st round pick and he traded up no less. 

The worst part in my opinion is that the Chiefs jumped in front of us to pick Trent McDuffie. Who looks like an absolute stud.

GunnerBill and I have debated whether the Bills would have taken McDuffie had the Chiefs not jumped us, but regardless, it’s a bad look.

So, either:

1) Beane wanted McDuffie but let the Chiefs outmaneuver him.

or

2) Beane had Elam in front of McDuffie on the draft board, which is probably even worse. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, benderbender said:

He needs to study Sauce's ability to have officials throw flags for OPI and ignore his Deshaun Watson hands

He should legally change his name to Tom Brady. Then the officials would like him.

Either that or Jack. If they were still making westerns, he could try that.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The worst part in my opinion is that the Chiefs jumped in front of us to pick Trent McDuffie. Who looks like an absolute stud.

GunnerBill and I have debated whether the Bills would have taken McDuffie had the Chiefs not jumped us, but regardless, it’s a bad look.

So, either:

1) Beane wanted McDuffie but let the Chiefs outmaneuver him.

or

2) Beane had Elam in front of McDuffie on the draft board, which is probably even worse. 

Number 2 would definitely be worse! 😂

I agree with trading him even though CB depth is always needed. But I’d only do a player for player deal. 1st round picks aren’t supposed to be depth, maybe he can become another team’s Jerry Hughes equivalent, or we can luck into another.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Who wants to trade for a player that is bad at playing football?

Lots of former first rounders that may not have secured a full time starting job have some trade value. Now, if their team puts them in street clothes every week, that goes down.

If Elam was rotating in on defense, some team may think he’s a fit for their press scheme and give up a fourth. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

2nd healthy scratch in a row...time to trade him.

How can we trade him when he has no value to anyone? If he's not on the field contributing no one knows what he can do. It's horseshit. 

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Elam is a unitasker.  Can only play man

Who cares? If he has talent and can play he needs to be put ont he field and worked around 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Who cares? If he has talent and can play he needs to be put ont he field and worked around 

You know better than anyone else that the Bills play primarily zone. The coaches obviously see something in his zone coverage that leads them to this decision.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

How can we trade him when he has no value to anyone? If he's not on the field contributing no one knows what he can do. It's horseshit. 

I think he's so messed up right now he can't even play man coverage well. I feel bad for the kid.

It was up to the coaching staff to incorporate his particular skills. They tried to turn him into something he's not.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

23 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It's really a numbers game, more than anything else.

• Benford beat him in camp and played well last week
  • Dane Jackson is the veteran 3rd CB
  • Cam Lewis offers positional flexibility because he can play CB and safety in a pinch
  • Elam doesn't play special teams

But it is at this point a really poor draft pick

I agree with everything.  It is a poor draft pick grading opportunity cost.  My eye test Elam looked great in playoffs.  Iron sharpens iron.  Marv said that you can never have too many CBs.  Elam might again be a very useful player- on the field or for in a favorable trade.   I am going to reserve my judgement on Elam

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Draconator said:

You know better than anyone else that the Bills play primarily zone. The coaches obviously see something in his zone coverage that leads them to this decision.

Ok, then why is he on the team? What value does he have? It's equal to everyone else inactive. Hamlin, etc. 

It's stupid.

• Agree 1

Beane should have cut his losses before the season started. It’s got to be humiliating for Elam as a first rounder. Give his the benefit of the doubt and trade him to a team that can use him in their scheme. Instead, we held on to him and now his value is plummeting each week as he’s inactive. Bad look all around. 

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 2

I think he was an expensive insurance policy. Not knowing what we were going to get from White and when he would be back. Benford has been a pleasant surprise. Plus letting Wallace go, it was a neccesary position to fill. Was really hoping he could pick up zone concepts better, just hasn't panned out...yet....🤔

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah, I think it’s obvious that Elam is a bust as far as this team is considered.

Maybe he can resurrect his career with a team that runs more man.

I'm hoping they use him to jam Tyreek Hill when they play the Dolphins. Disrupting their timing be the only way to slow down that express train since Tua gets rid of the ball so quickly. Bonus is shopping him to teams that play mostly man defenses. He's a good player, just can't play zone well, evidently. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.