Trevor Lawrence or Josh Allen? Dual threat or pocket passer?

ChronicAndKnuckles

Put all of your feelings aside. Pretend you’re a GM and you have to build a football team from scratch. Who do you choose to become the leader and face of your franchise? Do you go for the unpredictable generational phenom or the pocket passer w/ longevity? 

Trevor Lawrence is really catching on and by the end of this season I think he will be firmly in the top 5 supplanting the overrated Justin Herbert. He’s not as fast or strong as Josh, but I feel his athleticism is an underrated aspect of his game. He is more than capable of picking up a tough 1st down w/ his legs. Although he threw 4 picks in the Wild Card, he’s usually been great at protecting the ball and letting his playmakers shine. A lot of people compared him to Andrew Luck coming out of the draft and that’s exactly who I think he’ll turn out to be. Andrew Luck w/ a much longer career plus a ring. 

Allen’s stock took a 2nd hit last Sunday dropping his last 2 games and many in the media and this board are wondering if the league has finally figured him out. There’s a lot of speculation that his style of play is just not sustainable, too reckless, and he will hit a wall like Cam Newton did. He continues to throw costly interceptions and take unnecessary hits. Regardless, he is 52-25 in the regular season and has proven he can win games solely on his own. John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Diggs have all posted career years w/ Allen under center so he does make the players around him better. 

If I am building a team I still would pick Allen because when he is fully locked in, he is the best QB in the league bar none. Josh plays off emotion and instincts. He needs to a better job of harnessing his strengths and taking chances only when needed. Talent is is no longer an issue. Diggs, Kincaid, Knox, and Davis are all very solid pieces. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2

I think all of this talk about Allen's style of play being figured out and he has hit a wall etc. is insane right now.  Yes he is going through some struggles but to me it all appears to be mental, he has all of the physical skillsets and tools in the world you need to be a successful Quarterback in the NFL.  Once he gets past his mental hurdles and gets back on track he is going to be one of the Top 3-5 QB's in the NFL again

People on Twitter are talking like he is going to be out of the league in another year or two...Yikes!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Put all of your feelings aside. Pretend you’re a GM and you have to build a football team from scratch. Who do you choose to become the leader and face of your franchise? Do you go for the unpredictable generational phenom or the pocket passer w/ longevity? 

Trevor Lawrence is really catching on and by the end of this season I think he will be firmly in the top 5 supplanting the overrated Justin Herbert. He’s not as fast or strong as Josh, but I feel his athleticism is an underrated aspect of his game. He is more than capable of picking up a tough 1st down w/ his legs. Although he threw 4 picks in the Wild Card, he’s usually been great at protecting the ball and letting his playmakers shine. A lot of people compared him to Andrew Luck coming out of the draft and that’s exactly who I think he’ll turn out to be. Andrew Luck w/ a much longer career plus a ring. 

Allen’s stock took a 2nd hit last Sunday dropping his last 2 games and many in the media and this board are wondering if the league has finally figured him out. There’s a lot of speculation that his style of play is just not sustainable, too reckless, and he will hit a wall like Cam Newton did. He continues to throw costly interceptions and take unnecessary hits. Regardless, he is 52-25 in the regular season and has proven he can win games solely on his own. John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Diggs have all posted career years w/ Allen under center so he does make the players around him better. 

If I am building a team I still would pick Allen because when he is fully locked in, he is the best QB in the league bar none. Josh plays off emotion and instincts. He needs to a better job of harnessing his strengths and taking chances only when needed. Talent is is no longer an issue. Diggs, Kincaid, Knox, and Davis are all very solid pieces. 

If I were a random GM and not a Bills fan in 2023, I’d probably take Lawrence.  I’d have to take into consideration their age (23 to Allen’s 27), cumulative damage taken and current level of play.  

Definitely wouldn’t have said that a year ago.  I’ve always thought the world of Lawrence.  He was the best freshman QB I’ve ever seen.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Oof you start it off with put your feelings aside and then you say you pick Josh because he's the best QB in the league bar none. Mahomes is going to go down as the 1st or 2nd best QB of all time. Josh isn't even close. Let's stop this nonsense please. It makes it hard to interact on this board.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Last year I would have said Allen. 

He's a great playmaker, hurdles over the Chiefs, the dime throw to Knox. 

But more offseason reports about the partying he does, the laissez-faire attitude towards working out, the age gap. 

I would still go Allen because he has proven to be durable over 5+ seasons, gutting it out thru the UCL last year, and playing with pedestrian skill position talent, but I am less convinced now that he has the maturity to beat these up and coming Quarterbacks who seem more disciplined. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m sorry.  But if we’re at the point you’re wondering about the QB - it’s the coaches.  

I think McD is a great coach and I love the guy.  

All my instincts after 13 seconds were correct.  You just don’t recover from that.  And I do believe last year they were all in and got totally screwed by injuries including Josh.  It’s unfortunate and that’s why we keep hearing “window this” and “window that.”  Everyone knows.  

My personal opinions need to go out the door and face reality before my dual threat QB is suddenly 33 years old - more importantly, that you’d be dealing with a revolving door of OCs.  Where if we are lighting it up, he’s getting a HC job.  And we repeat.  

My non Bills Goggles buddies here in DC tell me constantly - you guys should have got Sean Payton.  

I don’t know if that was the answer.  But the fact they were thinking exactly what I am and along the lines of “you need an offensive guy” they’re right. 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think all of this talk about Allen's style of play being figured out and he has hit a wall etc. is insane right now.  Yes he is going through some struggles but to me it all appears to be mental, he has all of the physical skillsets and tools in the world you need to be a successful Quarterback in the NFL.  Once he gets past his mental hurdles and gets back on track he is going to be one of the Top 3-5 QB's in the NFL again

People on Twitter are talking like he is going to be out of the league in another year or two...Yikes!

Twitter is the worst, but a part of myself questions if Allen will be one of those QBs who remains productive into their mid-30s and beyond. For this to happen, he really needs to become a student of the game and play more calculated situational football. I think he tries too hard to get by on physical ability alone. Against 90% of teams it may works, but not against the truly elite defenses like the Jets. This is where he should settle more into a point guard role, get the ball out quick and distribute it to his playmakers. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

So you spend most of the post talking about how amazing Lawrence is, mention how bad Josh is, and then you say you would pick Josh? Not only that, but you even said it yourself-in Lawrence’s only playoff game, he threw 4 interceptions! 
Seems like you wanted to pick Lawrence but ended up going with Josh because you didn’t want any downvotes 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

You mean the Trevor Lawrence who threw 4 INT's in the FIRST HALF of his playoff game.  Yea I know he also threw 4 TD's and the Jags won.  But last I looked folks on 2BD won't give Allen credit for his 3 TD's against Miami in the Bills playoff victory focusing only on his 3 TO's.

IMO the jury is still out on Lawrence and this year will go a long towards answering your question.  But right now I would take Allen without a moments hesitation.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

You mean the Trevor Lawrence who threw 4 INT's in the FIRST HALF of his playoff game.  Yea I know he also threw 4 TD's and the Jags won.  But last I looked folks on 2BD won't give Allen credit for his 3 TD's against Miami in the Bills playoff victory focusing only on his 3 TO's.

IMO the jury is still out on Lawrence and this year will go a long towards answering your question.  But right now I would take Allen without a moments hesitation.

What about Burrow? 

Lawrence played the Colts who can’t stop a cold this year. Allen played arguably the best Defense in football.

Trevor was supposed to be the most qB ready prospect since Andrew Luck in addition Doug Pederson is his coach. 

There’s things working in Trevor’s favor that aren’t in Josh’s but Josh is a more talented football player. 

14 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I'd take Lawrence.  Always go with the QB that can manage the pocket better.  That's Lawrence.  

Completely agree with you that Lawrence is catching on.   IMO he'll rival Mahomes for top dog eventually.  It also seems that coaching has a lot to do with it.  I'm keeping an eye on Press Taylor.  

But perhaps the biggest reason is that at this rate I don't expect that Allen can go much longer without sustaining a serious injury.  There were a few close calls on MN.  Lawrence is much smarter in that regard too.  So I'd rather have either one, healthy.  But the odds of Allen getting hurt, particularly as he ages, appear to be notably greater.  

As a personality, Allen's a better fit for Buffalo. 

But in building a team you have to consider durability and longevity.  Allen isn't going to be running like that much into his 30s.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/15/2023 at 6:35 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Ok, doing this in a fair way, I would take Lawrence. Now let me explain if they are both rookies and being drafted in the same year, Lawrence was NFL ready and considered a generational talent at QB while Allen was considered a project. I don’t think any GM takes a rookie Allen over a rookie Lawrence. 

Before you say “Allen of now to a Lawrence of now” that just isn’t fair! Lawrence is just entering year 3 and Allen is in Year 7?  So the only fair comparison would be both coming out as rookies.  As rookies it’s a no brainer and that’s not a knock on Allen. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/15/2023 at 6:35 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

i am not a lawrence fan AT ALL but i want a guy with enough brains between his ears not to kill us.  i'll let the mafia decide which guy that is.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, jester43 said:

i am not a lawrence fan AT ALL but i want a guy with enough brains between his ears not to kill us.  i'll let the mafia decide which guy that is.

A bad game and OT loss on the road is a far cry from killing the Bills. Over the last 3 seasons (2020 - 2022) the Bills have gone 37 - 12 in the regular season winning 3 straight AFC East titles.  In the playoffs the Bills have gone 4 - 3 and Allen did not kill them in any of those games and in fact played great in several of them.

• Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.