Do the Bills need a " Quarterback Whisperer?"

Returntoglory

1 hour ago, DeltaDigital said:

had one. his name was brian daboll. should have shown clapdick the door, and promoted dabs. 

Everytime I hear the word "dabs" I throw up a bit in my throat. 

He might available after this year though if he sinks the ship with Daniel Jones at the helm.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You do realize that one reason Josh and other players (Davis, Mitch Morse, Knox) wanted Dorsey IN the booth is that they felt he got too emotional on the sideline?  Mitch Morse referred to it as "The Holy Spirit comes out of him".

When Dorsey was the QB coach and not responsible for decoding the defense and calling plays, evidently he managed to rein that in, but no promises he'd do better on the 

I meant more dorsey might wanna before he's shown the door

Allen has regressed since the " covid lockdown year" it's a combination of mental and physical...the lack of crowds meant psychologically he was able to zone out and play within structure without the " yips" he struggles with when he gets hyped up..

and daboll wud get on him I don't see anyone holding him accountable now other than diggs and that's not good for the team . 

Dorsey isn't a good o.c but Josh continually bypasses checkdowbs and underneath routes to go for homerun balls similar to late career Favre.

Edited by bills11

2 minutes ago, bills11 said:

Allen has regressed since the " covid lockdown year" it's a combination of mental and physical...the lack of crowds meant psychologically he was able to zone out and play within structure without the " yips" he struggles with when he gets hyped up..

and daboll wud get on him I don't see anyone holding him accountable now other than diggs and that's not good for the team . 

Dorsey isn't a good o.c but Josh continually bypasses checkdowbs and underneath routes to go for homerun balls similar to late career Favre.

First of all, I don't think you know what "yips" are.  You're not using that word correctly.

Second, holding a player accountable should not be "performance art" for the fans and casual bystanders.  That's why, after one game where Daboll was seen screaming at Josh on the sideline, he was sent up to the booth.

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is just ridiculous with Allen at this point. 

He's in his 6th year. 

This feels like Trent Edwards again where we're constantly concerned about his mindset. 

Constantly? Come on. When we were 13-3 you were constantly fretting?

there’s something up but…

Im sure there is someone on that sideline that has mentioned to Josh to 1) throw it away 2) throw it in the dirt at your receivers' feet 3) take a sac, punt and put your defense in the best position possible. Im at least confident he should have figured out by now not to force it or just heave it up there when your not sure, in a close game vs a good D like the Jets you have to be smarter. 

52 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I believe the Bills do have a sports psychologist on staff.

Mental acuity isn't the question.

Jordan Palmer has said so in a recent interview on OBL.  He also said he works with Josh and others on Mon/Tues during the season, reviewing film for lapses in technique.

Thanks.  I don't think it's a Palmer problem.  I think Josh can look at film and see things.

It's developing the right thinking habits. Being emotionally prepared for the game (I don't think he was last night.  He had the deer in the deadliest look.)  And it's having the right habits when he's looking and processing pre- and post-snap.  Last night I noticed when they showed him looking g at the defense pre-snap, his facial expression made me think he was trying to figure out what he was seeing.  It should be automatic.  It should be quick, orderly.  It should be a habit.

That's brain training. 

4 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

Im sure there is someone on that sideline that has mentioned to Josh to 1) throw it away 2) throw it in the dirt at your receivers' feet 3) take a sac, punt and put your defense in the best position possible. Im at least confident he should have figured out by now not to force it or just heave it up there when your not sure, in a close game vs a good D like the Jets you have to be smarter. 

You see, I think sitting on the sideline and just talking, Josh can tell you all of that.  He knows it.  The problem is when faced with those decisions under fire, his brain reverts to old habits.  His brain needs to be trained to recognize the situation and to do the right thing.  It isn't enough just know it.  

It's the same thing as hitters trying to lay off the high fastball.  It isn't enough to know you shouldn't; checking the swing has to become a habit. 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Fitz might have better things to do 

Like drinking beer and getting paid a lot for making silly commercials.

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen so much, almost universal, annoyance/frustration at a player before.  

It’s as if the entire football world knows how great Josh Allen can be and are completely disgusted that he won’t grow up and stop with the bs. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

Age 27, sixth season in the league, presumably this talk happened at some point well before now.  

If not, then coaching has to be quite seriously questioned.  

It's difficult because what can you say to him? You're going to bench him? Trade him? Fine him? Possibly the latter. The other two options aren't truly there at the moment.

Yesterday does feel like a watershed moment. During previous games where he struggled, there have been excuses - particularly a poor O Line and dropped catches. Last night  the O Line was ok and, as far as I can recall, no one dropped a catch. This is the first game where there is no mitigation. It is ALL on him. Where does he go from here? Does he bounce back or completely fall apart? Five days to find out.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Nope. Josh needs to have FUN to perform at his best. There's no "growing up" in ball security. Just part of playing football. Taking the fun out of his playing would hurt, not help. 

Did it look like he was having fun last night?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

It's difficult because what can you say to him? You're going to bench him? Trade him? Fine him? Possibly the latter. The other two options aren't truly there at the moment.

Yesterday does feel like a watershed moment. During previous games where he struggled, there have been excuses - particularly a poor O Line and dropped catches. Last night  the O Line was ok and, as far as I can recall, no one dropped a catch. This is the first game where there is no mitigation. It is ALL on him. Where does he go from here? Does he bounce back or completely fall apart? Five days to find out.

He is getting ROCKED in the media today. 

And it’s not criticism of his ability .. it’s questioning his focus and desire.  Everyone acknowledges he’s as talented, maybe more talented, than anyone in the league … but the overwhelming commentary today is an annoyed refrain of “he doesn’t get it” and that’s a really wild narrative to see everywhere about a consensus elite QB. 

…it’s also accurate. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s right. He looked completely unprepared.

I wouldn't say that. At one point with 35+ passes thrown he had something like 5 incompletions. The problem? 3 INTs.

Just gotta stop trying to make every game into a blowout, that's the real issue. It's OK to win games 16-6 sometimes.

He needs to get a better understanding of how he needs to play within games when it's not necessary for him to take so many risks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I knew it was getting bad when after unnecessary contact, McDermott pointed to his own head and shouted to Josh “use your head”! as in Be Smarter.  I recall seeing McD do that last year as well.

Alas....who will tell McD to "be smarter"?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Kind of nice having media being honest. I'm the biggest JA fan around, but there needs to be a conversation had between coaches and him. I have no idea how josh is treated by the coaches behind closed doors but I hope he's not being treated like a God. He was given the keys to the franchise, and he lost the game and let his teammates down playing completely undisciplined.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

And it’s not criticism of his ability .. it’s questioning his focus and desire.  Everyone acknowledges he’s as talented, maybe more talented, than anyone in the league … but the overwhelming commentary today is an annoyed refrain of “he doesn’t get it” and that’s a really wild narrative to see everywhere about a consensus elite QB. 

…it’s also accurate. 

HoooooooooRAY for Hollywood!

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

…it’s also accurate. 

And this adds to the coaching decisions at OP. Everywhere he looks, Josh is being shredded. I don't think he's the kind to deal with bad press well. I am seriously concerned about Sunday because of this, the added pressure and everyone lining up to have a pop, what it's going to do to him.

The coaches will be wanting to understandably lay into him about yesterday as well, but is that the right response considering the outside noise? What is the correct reaction? They have to get it right, otherwise the Bills could lose to the Raiders and the season, possibly even Josh himself, will be at risk of spiralling.

Am I being melodramatic? I don't think so. A lot of us have been saying the coaching team is part of the problem, as they don't know how to manage him. If this is an accurate assessment, then they may not react adequately to the issue.

• Like (+1) 2

He just looked broken last night. He had no answers most of the night and he turned to what he knows best, taking off and running or trying to make a backyard go for broke type of play or heave the ball downfield. Diggs is definitely in his head too. Hopefully he can snap out of it but he also went through an entire offseason and it still looks the same. We are at a really weird point right now

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

And this adds to the coaching decisions at OP. Everywhere he looks, Josh is being shredded. I don't think he's the kind to deal with bad press well. I am seriously concerned about Sunday because of this, the added pressure and everyone lining up to have a pop, what it's going to do to him.

The coaches will be wanting to understandably lay into him about yesterday as well, but is that the right response considering the outside noise? What is the correct reaction? They have to get it right, otherwise the Bills could lose to the Raiders and the season, possibly even Josh himself, will be at risk of spiralling.

Am I being melodramatic? I don't think so. A lot of us have been saying the coaching team is part of the problem, as they don't know how to manage him. If this is an accurate assessment, then they may not react adequately to the issue.

He responded pretty well to the bad press a few years ago. He’s not playing well, but I wouldn’t bury him just yet. Especially due to some negative media types. 

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Very fair point.  

That guy out there last night looked completely lost. 

Everyone responds to different coaching.  Some need to be criticized and some need to be lifted up.  

I don’t know how he is, but whatever we’ve been doing post-Daboll isn’t working.  

However, as you point out, the staff needs to factor in that Josh wasn’t just criticized today … he’s being challenged to grow up from every corner of football media.  

Thats very specific and unique criticism for someone who’s ascended to where he is. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

He responded pretty well to the bad press a few years ago. He’s not playing well, but I wouldn’t bury him just yet. Especially due to some negative media types. 

I'm more concerned about how the coaches react. I imagine, a few years ago, it was the moment Daboll sat him down, showed him the great plays he did and reminded him he can do it to build his confidence back up. Is this what needs to be done now? Or will it just encourage him to keep pushing heroball?

ETA - Or if they go in strongly, will he just second guess himself further, start making more mistakes because he tries to trust the pocket when he shouldn't, or miss the big plays because he becomes too nervous to make them.

To me, it does feel like a crossroads for him and the coaching staff. Get this right and this season can be a great one. Get it wrong...

Edited by UKBillFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.