Do the Bills need a " Quarterback Whisperer?"

Returntoglory

Who is with JA on the sidelines to keep his head in check? To talk him down or talk him up?

It's obvious to everyone that Josh has free reign to do what he pleases with apparently no restrictions.

Crazy high-risk throws and disregard for his body. McD does not seem to talk with him during the game.

I say bring someone in that states by his side and keeps his head in check.

Fitz would be a perfect candidate!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 9

There was someting magical about the Allen/Daboll relationship.  It's a rare one in football, imo.

Opposing fans have been saying that Allen is regressing without Daboll. It's hard to argue right now - though he was brilliant for long stretches last season.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

There was someting magical about the Allen/Daboll relationship.  It's a rare one in football, imo.

I agree.

I fully recognize that it sounds ridiculous and there is little (or perhaps zero) precedence for it, but we should have let McDermott go and kept Daboll. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is just ridiculous with Allen at this point. 

He's in his 6th year. 

This feels like Trent Edwards again where we're constantly concerned about his mindset. 

I'd say that's more a reflection on the fans than on Allen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Don’t usually like Colin Cowherd but he said two things that got me thinking…

”Josh is a heavyweight fighter who lost his cornerman…” 
“The greatest talents need someone in the sidecar…”

This isn’t a Daboll retread comment but something went wrong when those two separated. Josh is rather sloppy with his mechanics by the general consensus of gurus. There is a major concern here that after the past few outings the wheels are starting to vibrate. God help this franchise again if they come off…

Something needs to be done. Maybe he goes back to working with Jordan Palmer? Maybe we bring in some seasoned and regimented offensive coordination? Either way, Josh needs something different in his corner cause this past year of football has way too many ups and downs in his play. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He needs a sports psychologist. He said he hasn't tried one. Seems like an obvious thing to try. Instead of/in addition to he should try hypnosis. They can get people to stop being self destructive. That's exactly what Josh is doing. Some kind of mental block where he seeks chaos or something. I see it in my wife's friends. They won't date nice guys, too boring, they have to go for a-holes because they enjoy the drama!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

Don’t usually like Colin Cowherd but he said something that got me thinking…

”Josh is a heavyweight fighter who lost his cornerman” 

This isn’t a Daboll retread comment but something went wrong when those two separated. Josh is rather sloppy with his mechanics by the general consensus of gurus. There is a major concern here that after the past few outings the wheels are starting to vibrate. God help this franchise again if they come off…

Something needs to be done. Maybe he goes back to working with Jordan Palmer? Maybe we bring in some seasoned and regimented offensive coordination? Either way, Josh needs something different in his corner cause this past year of football has way too many ups and downs in his play. 

People misremember the 2021 season. All they remember is the perfect game and the 13 seconds game. The Bills were 7-6 after week 14. They scored 6 points against the Jags. He's always been hot and cold, even with Daboll.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Said in a soft voice:

"We love you Josh.

Stop throwing interceptions.

We love you Josh.

Stop taking unnecessary hits.

We love you Josh.

Slide or step out of bounds.

We love you Josh.

Secure the GD football.

We love you Josh.

Take the easy 5 yd pass for Christ sake.

We love you Josh.

Please throw the ball a little faster 

We love you Josh.

Switch to decaf & no sugar on game day.

We love you Josh.

Let's work a bit more in the off-season & eat healthier.

We love you Josh.

Maybe get a haircut.

We love you Josh."

So did I get the job?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Said in a soft voice:

"We love you Josh.

Stop throwing interceptions.

We love you Josh.

Stop taking unnecessary hits.

We love you Josh.

Slide or step out of bounds.

We love you Josh.

Secure the GD football.

We love you Josh.

Take the easy 5 yd pass for Christ sake.

We love you Josh.

Please throw the ball a little faster 

We love you Josh.

Switch to decaf & no sugar on game day.

We love you Josh.

Let's work a bit more in the off-season & eat healthier.

We love you Josh.

Maybe get a haircut.

We love you Josh."

So did I get the job?

Sir, this is a Wendy's drive-thru

• Haha (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

People misremember the 2021 season. All they remember is the perfect game and the 13 seconds game. The Bills were 7-6 after week 14. They scored 6 points against the Jags. He's always been hot and cold, even with Daboll.

I 100% agree. 

Daboll took the same flak for jet sweeps that would come and go, abandoning the run, sticking in 4-wide/5-wide all game (always in Shotgun) of course. 

Now I would agree Dorsey is worse in terms of play-flow, for instance after the first first down in the game, he runs Cook twice and puts the team in 3rd down, after the first two plays (slant to Diggs and pass to Harty) working easily. 

Just now, Trust The Process said:

Allen regressed under Dorsey. Allen needs a premier OC, one that he respects and is held accountable. Dorsey is Allen's buddy and does what he pleases. Daboll on the other hand is someone who Allen respected, someone who coached up Allen. 

I just don't buy any of this. 

"Held accountable"  - give me a break. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

This is true, but Daboll flat out said he had to pull Allen aside, sit him down, make him watch videos of all the incredible plays he makes and remind him how special he is. He said Josh was borderline despondent. He could show a lot of tough love, but he was able to reel Josh back in and help him get his head straight.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I 100% agree. 

Daboll took the same flak for jet sweeps that would come and go, abandoning the run, sticking in 4-wide/5-wide all game (always in Shotgun) of course. 

Now I would agree Dorsey is worse in terms of play-flow, for instance after the first first down in the game, he runs Cook twice and puts the team in 3rd down, after the first two plays (slant to Diggs and pass to Harty) working easily. 

It's basically the same playbook.

Just now, Aimee75 said:

This is true, but Daboll flat out said he had to pull Allen aside, sit him down, make him watch videos of all the incredible plays he makes and remind him how special he is. He said Josh was borderline despondent. He could show a lot of tough love, but he was able to reel Josh back in and help him get his head straight.

Dorsey was in the quarterback room at the time so must know that might be needed at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

He needs a sports psychologist. He said he hasn't tried one. Seems like an obvious thing to try. Instead of/in addition to he should try hypnosis. They can get people to stop being self destructive. That's exactly what Josh is doing. Some kind of mental block where he seeks chaos or something. I see it in my wife's friends. They won't date nice guys, too boring, they have to go for a-holes because they enjoy the drama!

I agree.  Josh needs to get his head on straight for games. He has to learn how to focus and stay focused.  It's a mental skill, and that's what sports psychologists do.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Trust The Process said:

Allen regressed under Dorsey. Allen needs a premier OC, one that he respects and is held accountable. Dorsey is Allen's buddy and does what he pleases. Daboll on the other hand is someone who Allen respected, someone who coached up Allen. 

Josh needs a calming voice, one settling down the space between his ears. I don’t think Mr Tablet Smasher fits the bill. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  Josh needs to get his head on straight for games. He has to learn how to focus and stay focused.  It's a mental skill, and that's what sports psychologists do.  

There was a sports psychologist in our tennis group. Everybody knew if you moved in a little bit to challenge his second serve, he would double fault on cue. 

Don was a nice guy, but I never saw him professionally.  😋

Josh needs a GOOD sports psychologist. Like the one from Ted Lasso who could magically change seats on you moving closer. 

• Like (+1) 1

We all love Josh.  Yesterday was an aberration, but clearly he needs to accept that less us sometimes more.  I would try two things:

1.  Have the team leaders sit with him, tell him they have his back, but that he has to play the offense as designed

2.  Bring the Manning brothers in (or Brady) for skull sessions and show him where he’s making bad reads.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Returntoglory said:

Who is with JA on the sidelines to keep his head in check? To talk him down or talk him up?

It's obvious to everyone that Josh has free reign to do what he pleases with apparently no restrictions.

Crazy high-risk throws and disregard for his body. McD does not seem to talk with him during the game.

I say bring someone in that states by his side and keeps his head in check.

Fitz would be a perfect candidate!

Fitz?  Mr Aggressive Pick 6?  That's your choice to keep Josh in check?

I do think that Dorsey, a former college and NFL QB, was helpful to keeping Josh focused.  I think Kyle Allen is too much of a buddy and too junior to be able to rein Josh in or to be able to pick out what the defense is doing.

That's supposedly Joe Brady's job, but I felt the role Dorsey filled was absent this year.

Just now, Beck Water said:

I do think that Dorsey, a former college and NFL QB, was helpful to keeping Josh focused.  I think Kyle Allen is too much of a buddy and too junior to be able to rein Josh in or to be able to pick out what the defense is doing.

That's supposedly Joe Brady's job, but I felt the role Dorsey filled was absent this year.

Fitz has the mental acuity to do the job. 

I didn't really like Daboll as a coordinator, but he definitely did a better job keeping Allen grounded.  Personally, I think two things...

1. They need to hire someone for the sidelines that can keep Allen grounded or find an OC than can and fire Dorsey. The QB coach and Dorsey are not getting this job done.

2. I think they are trying too hard to coach Allen out of Allen with regards to him running with the football.  I understand the injury risk but now I think he thinks too much about not running and that is not only going to get him hurt because of his fighting himself thinking about it and not committing to running and also he now is forcing the ball more often than he would have been because he would have took off and run for a first down instead.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I believe the Bills do have a sports psychologist on staff.

3 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Mental acuity isn't the question.

13 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Does Josh still work with Jordan Palmer in the off season ? ... If not, why ?

Jordan Palmer has said so in a recent interview on OBL.  He also said he works with Josh and others on Mon/Tues during the season, reviewing film for lapses in technique.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Dorsey should get out the booth

3 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

There's no reason for Josh to listen to him though. He'll be telling Josh not to do what he himself revelled in doing.

The only good thing would be perhaps Fitz could explain his regrets to Josh, and see if that has any impact.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, goldenboy81 said:

Dorsey should get out the booth

You do realize that one reason Josh and other players (Davis, Mitch Morse, Knox) wanted Dorsey IN the booth is that they felt he got too emotional on the sideline?  Mitch Morse referred to it as "The Holy Spirit comes out of him".

When Dorsey was the QB coach and not responsible for decoding the defense and calling plays, evidently he managed to rein that in, but no promises he'd do better on the sideline.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.