Rodgers out for the year (UPDATE: Rodgers wants to return for playoffs)

chongli

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Capture.JPG

I’m too dumb to know how to add pics here haha but cover 1 has his route percentage at nine route 19% of the time and corner 5.6%, post 15.3%  for last season.  Shouldn’t have been too hard for him to sell a go route there he just made absolutely zero effort.  Kind of reminds me of that last play against the ravens a few years back where he ran a very much uncrisp slant route and couldn’t beat the single coverage 

not sure a route chart from one individual game from 2022 is all the jets are lookin at lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

49 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

The good news for Bills fans is our coaches have a solid ten weeks to figure out this dynamic Zach Wilson/ Nate Hackett offense... perhaps by then they can crack the code 🤓

It's so complex. I mean sometimes they hand it off to Breece Hall going left but other times they hand it off going to the right! I mean, wow!!

• Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Jets can't win games like that all year. They forced 4 TOs and won on a punt return TD in OT. Its just not a sustainable method of winning.

Bills blew it, but I'd rather walk into next week with Josh Allen than Zach Wilson

I don’t know man. Second half, Wilson was better than Allen!

Obviously kidding. But I just get over how depressed that stadium was after the Rodgers injury and Wilson’s terrible INT. How do you not beat that team???

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m too dumb to know how to add pics here haha but cover 1 has his route percentage at nine route 19% of the time and corner 5.6%, post 15.3%  for last season.  Shouldn’t have been too hard for him to sell a go route there he just made absolutely zero effort.  Kind of reminds me of that last play against the ravens a few years back where he ran a very much uncrisp slant route and couldn’t beat the single coverage 

not sure a route chart from one individual game from 2022 is all the jets are lookin at lol 

Good grief.   Of course the route chart from one individual game isn't all the Jets are looking at.  You said that Davis is always running go routes.

The point is, he's not.

The second point is, the defense, the safety in particular, isn't looking at Davis routes in isolation.  They are looking at patterns, route combinations.  What are the other receivers running?

I'm not sure what "last play against the Ravens a few years back" you're talking about.  I think you might be confused between Davis and another, sometimes un-crisp route runner John Brown and the 2019 Ravens game.  There was a last play where Brown was unable to pull in a contested catch in tight coverage where it was clear if he'd run a better route, he could probably have gained some separation and made the catch.   Our two more recent games against the Ravens have been wins, and Gabe Davis was not involved in the last couple of series much less a "last play".

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Obviously kidding. But I just get over how depressed that stadium was after the Rodgers injury and Wilson’s terrible INT. How do you not beat that team???

"What's in your head?  In your head?  Zombie Zombie Zombe e e e" - question for Joshua Patrick Allen

That's how.  And yes, Wilson was better in the 2nd half than a QB who throws two picks, muffs a shotgun snap and then fumbles it

Edited by Beck Water

Yep good eye on the "balling up" effect. For those not sure what you're looking at, here's the most obvious example all time of the carpet rolling a torn muscle turns into but on a pec

@16sec mark 

9 hours ago, Simon said:

I think this angle shows it better

image.thumb.png.8288ae6b5ee951b19c0785f2887b029e.png

8 hours ago, QCity said:

Christ that is brutal. You can tell it snapped and his calf is already balling up. *shudder*

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I said to my wife that the Bills needed to get to 20 points and this game was over. No reason to lose that game. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Good grief.   Of course the route chart from one individual game isn't all the Jets are looking at.  You said that Davis is always running go routes.

The point is, he's not.

The second point is, the defense, the safety in particular, isn't looking at Davis routes in isolation.  They are looking at patterns, route combinations.  What are the other receivers running?

I'm not sure what "last play against the Ravens a few years back" you're talking about.  I think you might be confused between Davis and another, sometimes un-crisp route runner John Brown and the 2019 Ravens game.  There was a last play where Brown was unable to pull in a contested catch in tight coverage where it was clear if he'd run a better route, he could probably have gained some separation and made the catch.   Our two more recent games against the Ravens have been wins, and Gabe Davis was not involved in the last couple of series much less a "last play".

I mean that first part was a bit of a joke  I don’t think it was worthy of a good grief  😂. But the point is he predominantly runs go routes when you look at the season statistics and easily could have sold one there had he put in any amount of effort.  This idea that he has run so many corner routes that it is telegraphed is a massive over exaggeration imo and cherry picking one single game route chart doesn’t prove anything. And to the pats fans original point, ‘staring down a receiver’ does not give away the route when the throw is out before he makes his break.  If anything, it could further make the defense think a go route is coming. 

Ah yes that was brown you are correct.  Either way davis’ terrible route last night reminded me of that.  It is objectively an issue with Davis that has cropped up quite a few times but I definitely misidentified him on that play for which I apologize. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

26 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Gabe is wide open if he runs a crisp route there literally for the reasons you mentioned earlier in the post lol other teams have seen the movie before and he’s usually running a ton of go routes.  Probably the laziest route I’ve ever seen.  Still an off target throw though 

The safety was lined up with such inside leverage, Josh was "baited" into that throw.  @Beck Water pointed out, we've ran that route concept ALOT. 

Gabe's route was just average.  With the safety lined up that far inside Gabe was getting to his "spot".  Yes it was 'rounded off' route, but Josh put that ball in a horrible spot AND late (bigger problem in general).

I thought Diggs was coming open on the underneath crosser, would have to go back and watch.

But to me, this was another 90% Josh mistake.  Gabe could have ran a better route, ball was still late though.  Dorsey could have dialed up something better.  But if Diggs is coming open (as I expect to see), it's mostly all on Josh.  He wasn't seeing the field well and made poor decisions.  Same story as end of LY.   

(Not directed at you, but just thoughts):

There were a few moments Josh "anticipated" and made great reads.  The Diggs pass down the seam in 1st half, then the end of 4th qtr drive was amazing.  That's what he's capable of every drive and what he should be doing.  Somehow he's become hesitant/lacking confidence/too emotionally low at times/in his own head...thats where the coaches and leaders need to sit him down.  Week 1 is just week 1, but it becomes concerning when it's a "mini trend" (Bengals game to this one). 

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

The safety was lined up with such inside leverage, Josh was "baited" into that throw.  @Beck Water pointed out, we've ran that route concept ALOT. 

Gabe's route was just average.  With the safety lined up that far inside Gabe was getting to his "spot".  Yes it was 'rounded off' route, but Josh put that ball in a horrible spot AND late (bigger problem in general).

I thought Diggs was coming open on the underneath crosser, would have to go back and watch.

But to me, this was another 90% Josh mistake.  Gabe could have ran a better route, ball was still late though.  Dorsey could have dialed up something better.  But if Diggs is coming open (as I expect to see), it's mostly all on Josh.  He wasn't seeing the field well and made poor decisions.  Same story as end of LY.   

(Not directed at you, but just thoughts):

There were a few moments Josh "anticipated" and made great reads.  The Diggs pass down the seam in 1st half, then the end of 4th qtr drive was amazing.  That's what he's capable of every drive and what he should be doing.  Somehow he's become hesitant/lacking confidence/too emotionally low at times/in his own head...thats where the coaches and leaders need to sit him down.  Week 1 is just week 1, but it becomes concerning when it's a "mini trend" (Bengals game to this one). 

Agree to disagree I guess…route looked far from average to me.  Throw was off target though no question…wouldn’t disagree with that at all.  I’m not trying to put all the blame on Davis by any means…this all came up in the context of ‘josh stared him down which caused the int’

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

And it wasn’t even close to being a hard hit or viscous tackle. Compare that tackle where AR got hurt to all the times in the game JA17 was twisted, pounded, beat, etc. 27 is way more durable than 39, I guess!

had nothing to do with the hit, everything to do with the turf imo seeing the pics. wouldve been josh or anyone else too. that turf is an abomination

So if Rodgers' career is over, what's the cap hit to the Jets? I heard their trade parameters mean they only end up giving GB a 2nd Rd pick because Rodgers didn't play enough snaps. But what about that massive guaranteed contract? Do they owe him that full amount plus the cap hit that comes with that for the next several years? If so, yikes. They might as well sell the team or try and make the move to the Big 10

That sucks for them and Rodgers, I’m not a fan of his, and was happy he left the game bc I figured they were going to be tough with him, but season ending/possibly career ending injuries are awful.  

Worst yet for Bills fans, Wilson has actually looked pretty good this pre-season and wasn’t too bad last night.  They may be alright with him.   He made one bone headed mistake vs JA w 3+, it would suck even more if he develops.

I wonder which fanbase is feeling worse at the moment - the Bills or the Jets?

I suppose the latter. The Bills have hope Josh can turn it around again, whilst the Jets are left with Wilson. I did think it was a daft trade by them, though. They took a risk on a QB whose years are behind him.

2 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

Is he really out for the year? I am hearing different reports.

Regardless of reports, the video of his calf rolling up into a ball is exactly what happens when an Achilles goes.

He's done for the year and is going to have a very tough time coming back from that at his age.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

So if Rodgers' career is over, what's the cap hit to the Jets? I heard their trade parameters mean they only end up giving GB a 2nd Rd pick because Rodgers didn't play enough snaps. But what about that massive guaranteed contract? Do they owe him that full amount plus the cap hit that comes with that for the next several years? If so, yikes. They might as well sell the team or try and make the move to the Big 10

I've been looking into it. First, nothing happens this year because the Jets are sprinting to file the IR form.

But from what I've read retirement is effectively the same as cutting a player in terms of cap. And after the Jets rolled over almost all salary from 2023 and 24 as prorated bonuses, those all would come due the year Rodgers retires or gets cut.

Which, at my current count, would be $63-66 million in dead cap 

EDIT: I think they can weasel out of that hard number if they beg Rodgers to ride the pine in 2024, but their only leverage is another $30 million they are going to pay in 2025 which is going to force the issue. Currently in 2025 they have to choose to pay $51 million for 41 year old QB with injury history or cut him for $49 million in dead cap. Or, you know, give him more money up front and add on to $35 million they have in void years.

The Jets really boxed themselves in on this one

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

I'll fully admit I've been shielding myself from Bills misery this morning by reading Jets boards.

They can't even celebrate the win. Pyrrhic victory for sure.

They won the battle, but lost the war (season).

All those months of hype flushed in an instant. Suck it, Hard Knocks.

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Packers now owe the Jets a second round pick, because Rodgers won't play 65% of the snaps this season.  

I believe it's that the Jets now owe the Pack a 2nd instead of a 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Oh wow, Packers day just gets better and better

I mean I am sure they wanted the 1st, but if Rodgers had stayed healthy the Jets probably make the playoffs and pick in the 20s, and now opposed to now likely mid high 40s

So they don't love it, but my Packers fan coworker is being joyously vindictive today

From the NYT official story:

There was hope that could change this season after Rodgers was acquired in an April trade in exchange for draft picks. His long career has put him in the top 10 of many passing categories, he has won four Most Valuable Player Awards, and in the 2010 season he took the Packers to their only Super Bowl victory of this century.

The fit seemed good: Rodgers threw himself into the life of the city, turning up at the Tony Awards, Knicks and Rangers games, the U.S. Open, and a Taylor Swift concert at MetLife.

That's all well and good, going to the Tony Awards, Taylor Swift, Knicks and Rangers games.

Did he do all the additional stretching/conditioning a 39 year old should be doing? Calf strain to torn Achilles ...

https://wisportsheroics.com/aaron-rodgers-new-york-jets-training-methods/

He blamed the Jets training regimen for the calf strain, saying they had him doing things he hadn't done for 19 years. So maybe the Jets broke him, or maybe he should've started integrating additional conditioning into his off-season as he got old?  Was there time for that with all the dark house sitting, celeb dating, psychedelic mind resetting?

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

From the NYT official story:

There was hope that could change this season after Rodgers was acquired in an April trade in exchange for draft picks. His long career has put him in the top 10 of many passing categories, he has won four Most Valuable Player Awards, and in the 2010 season he took the Packers to their only Super Bowl victory of this century.

The fit seemed good: Rodgers threw himself into the life of the city, turning up at the Tony Awards, Knicks and Rangers games, the U.S. Open, and a Taylor Swift concert at MetLife.

That's all well and good, going to the Tony Awards, Taylor Swift, Knicks and Rangers games.

Did he do all the additional stretching/conditioning a 39 year old should be doing? Calf strain to torn Achilles ...

Rodgers Is a consummate professional, it's a freak injury for an older player. Have a feeling the turf did him no favors even though they Apparently upgraded it this season.  Awful upgraded to bad, is still bad. 

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The Jets really boxed themselves in on this one

Such a shame. 😁

I actually don't hate the Jets. They're not the Pats. They're kind of ... us? I mean, as long as it isn't at the Bills expense I'd like to see their fans share in a little success. For whatever (AFL/AFC I guess) reason I always wanted them to be New York's #1 team.

Whatever. Good to have them out of the way until they bring in their next old QB. They are now officially in Colts 2018-21 territory.

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Rodgers Is a consummate professional, it's a freak injury for an older player. Have a feeling the turf did him no favors even though they Apparently upgraded it this season.  Awful upgraded to bad, is still bad. 

I see zero reason to blame the turf. His leg slid on the wet turf just as it would've on wet grass/mud. 

15 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I wanted the Bills to beat the Jets at full strength with Rodgers in there, but they would have blown us out if Allen’s play remained the same. 

hard to say...D was getting great penetration, but Zach is pretty elusive.   Rogers might have been better at getting the ball out but not at escaping 

the pass rush.

Remember when Marino tore his. He was dropping back to pass with no one within at least 5 yards. Wasn't a turf issue as it was in Miami. And age- he's 40 the body is not as pliable or flexible.

Had  a prof in his  40s  that tore his in a pickup b-ball game. He was on crutches for 9 months and limped a year  after his tear.

Edited by Wacka

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.