Chiefs vs Lions NFL Opener

aristocrat

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

don’t forget Andy Reid. Mahomes is the best but he certainly is set up for success like not many others. 

Chiefs went 12-4 the year they drafted Mahomes and 10-7 the year that he sat. Mahomes is great, but he took over an already good team, a luxury that not many rookie QBs have.

• Agree 1

Hate to say it but I think the Chiefs win (and cover).  The Lions were a nice story last year and do appear to be a legitimate playoff contender going into this season, but they haven’t been in this situation before.  Going to KC for the NFL opener against the defending SB champs is a huge step up, and rarely do teams meet that challenge the first time they experience it.

I don’t care that Kelce may not play and they don’t have Jones.  Mahomes is still Mahomes and I don’t see a Detroit defense that will shut him down.

I really, really hope I’m wrong.  Would love to see KC saddled with an L this early.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

I'm in a 12 team league where the depth gets weak enough that I am considering putting MVS into my second flex spot if Kelce is out

Could be a game where they take some shots.  I have Olave and Waddle ahead of him - the real question is him or Aaron Jones in PPR and I'm probably going to go high floor with Jones.  

1 minute ago, arcane said:

I cannot bring myself to hate Mahomes, it's easier to hate Burrow, though I don't even really hate Burrow. Mahomes seems like a cool guy and is fun to watch. Still want both to lose for seeding purposes obviously 

Mahomes is basically Steve Young, and Allen is more Favre.  I'd say Burrow is probably Aikman in this analogy.  

Obviously different leagues, play styles, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think the Lions could win. They played really well last year.

If Kelce misses significant time, I think the KC offense regresses quite a bit. But he isn’t supposed to be out for long.

Probably not but he is 34. He has played a lot of football so he is getting to that age where he might start slowing down.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I don't see it. I don't trust Goff to string together back-to-back pro bowl type seasons.  I hope I'm wrong, but I expect KC to win this one rather comfortably

That’s my issue with the Lions. I actually don’t trust Goff or Campbell. They deserve credit for last year, and it seems they’ve turned things around, but QB/Coach combos mean everything. Goff has been an up and down player his entire career, and Campbell coaches with an emotional, high energy style. It seems those type of leaders find it difficult to sustain success. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Chiefs went 12-4 the year they drafted Mahomes and 10-7 the year that he sat. Mahomes is great, but he took over an already good team, a luxury that not many rookie QBs have.

He definitely ended up in the best spot possible. With a coach that enhanced his natural abilities to maximize potential. Remember, though, the Chiefs were great in the regular season but always flamed out in the playoffs. They blew multiple #1 and #2 seeds opportunities, including one with Reid. They won 1 playoff game in 30yrs and that was with Reid/Alex Smith. Mahomes was the missing piece that took them over the top. Elite qbs and coaches are judged by playoffs success. They have the perfect combination right now. 

The Lions won 8 of their last 10 in 2022 and got better in the off season.  The Chiefs are without their best defensive player without whom their pass rush has been anemic at best.  They are also very likely missing their best offensive weapon.  KC is ripe for an upset here.  The Lions will score and I think their D can make enough plays to squeak this one out.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I drafted MVS in the final round as well. I don't think he is any good but who else is Mahomes gonna throw to this season? 

I like Justyn Ross. Dude was their leading receiver on Clemson’s title team as a freshman but had some bad injuries since. He’s like 6’4”. 

I feel like mahomes is just playing a video game and it keeps getting harder right now. On paper, one could argue the Lions are more talented. But it’s really tough to bet against Mahomes and Reid. 

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

its in KC

they're the SB champs

Yeah, this is definitely the way I’d lean. Like if the lions win, I’ll be really happy. But if I have money on it, I’d be really mad betting against the chiefs and losing. 

5 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Not to be a prick... but how come the LIONS got that opening game?

They're an entertaining team with an explosive offense, an exciting rookie RB, a funny HC who likes eating kneecaps and they're a feel good story where lots of neutral fans (me included) want to see them do well

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

They're an entertaining team with an explosive offense, an exciting rookie RB, a funny HC who likes eating kneecaps and they're a feel good story where lots of neutral fans (me included) want to see them do well

Agree with all of this. Big lions supporter after watching hard knocks. Would like to see them be competitive in the NFC this season. 

51 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

The Lions can definitely put up some points. At least last year they did. Problem is, they could put up 40 and lose by 7. Even if their D is better, they'll still need some breaks and a turnover or 2. 

Kelce's such a big part of KC and he only hurt his knee on Tuesday.  He's not really replaceable and 2 days isn't enough time to plan for being without him.  Not sure KC will put up 40 in this one.  

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

I'm mentally prepared for the Chiefs to win this game without Jones and Kelce, while everyone acts like Mahomes performed a miracle with no weapons.. even though he has the best IOL in the NFL, along with a Day 2 pick from last year, Day 2 pick from the previous year and Day 1 pick from the year before that.

Agreed. Lions have no chance. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.