Chiefs vs Lions NFL Opener

aristocrat

There's a thread on Kelce's knee and Jones's holdout but haven't seen one for opening night. I'm curious to see the Chiefs new tackles protecting Mahomes and with Shuster gone can MVD step up?  No Chris Jones is such a loss for that defense and curious to see how the lions attack that. 

The Lions are without Jameson Williams for a while and without him stretching the field the lions are a bit limited passing but st brown is a stud.  

Looking at the over of 39.5 yards for Gibbs. Feel like the lions will try and run on the chiefs with Jones out but obviously he's spltting carries with montgomery. hmmm

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm betting Lions Moneyline. Great OL and finished strong last year. They're legit. 

Interested to see young WRs Rice and Ross for KC and if Toney continues to play at a high level. They could be scary

Hutchinson against Donovan smith is a matchup im looking at. Smith is an aging vet protecting Patrick’s blindside. 

• Agree 1

Detroit can make this game hard, and a slog.  Montgomery and Gibbs - early and often.  Gay and Bolton are good linebackers, but i think the lions line can make it a rough day at the office with Jones not in there.  Get some space in that 10-15 range on play action.  If they have a good red zone plan i think they can absolutely win this game.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Interested to see young WRs Rice and Ross for KC and if Toney continues to play at a high level. They could be scary

Kadarius Toney averaged 2 catches and 25 yards for the Chiefs last year (7 games with the team).  That is after completely flaming out with the Giants, who drafted him in the first round and then gave up on him in less than 2 seasons.  

Rashee Rice and Justyn Ross are both rookies.  The latter is a UDFA.

Maybe they all turn out great.  But right now all I see is inexperience and question marks. 

If any other franchise besides Kansas City fielded this WR room, everyone would be talking about it being a massive weakness.

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Kadarius Toney averaged 2 catches and 25 yards for the Chiefs last year (7 games with the team).  That is after completely flaming out with the Giants, who drafted him in the first round and then gave up on him in less than 2 seasons.  

Maybe they all turn out great.  But right now all I see is inexperience and question marks. 

If any other franchise besides Kansas City fielded this WR room, everyone would be talking about it being a massive weakness.

Toney's missed time in camp i think, and is up in the air for week 1.  I assume Kelce doesn't play.  

This is likely a skyy moore, MVS deep shot game if i had to guess.  Pacheco and the offensive line, and then you attack in play action.  

The lions have all the talent to take the ball and sit on it and have 38 minutes of T.O.P. tonight keeping it away from the insurance guy.   However if they don't finish the drives with TD's they will lose.

I really hope its not close late and the insurance guy has a game winning drive, not in the mood for that already this early in the year.

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Toney's missed time in camp i think, and is up in the air for week 1.  I assume Kelce doesn't play.  

This is likely a skyy moore, MVS deep shot game if i had to guess.  Pacheco and the offensive line, and then you attack in play action.  

From what kelsey's brother said yesterday it sounds like he is playing. Its just a swelling issue apparently.

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

The lions have all the talent to take the ball and sit on it and have 38 minutes of T.O.P. tonight keeping it away from the insurance guy.   However if they don't finish the drives with TD's they will lose.

I really hope its not close late and the insurance guy has a game winning drive, not in the mood for that already this early in the year.

From what kelsey's brother said yesterday it sounds like he is playing. Its just a swelling issue apparently.

Interesting... i wonder if he's on a pitch count?  I'm hitting him on every single snap he's out there 🙂.  Honestly i think this should always be the strategy

• Like (+1) 1

The Lions definitely have a great shot, especially with Jones out and Kelce's knee/possibly out.

I like the Detroit oline and their o-coordinator (Ben Johnson) is extremely good.  People thought Gibbs was overdrafted, but he could be the next Kamara/has the talent.  Chiefs gave up a ton of RB receiving yards LY, I think Detroit has a mismatch there and with St Brown.

Defensively, Lions have an improved secondary with some key FA additions.  Should be a great game!

24 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

wow. Didn’t realize that about Toney. Thought he put up bigger #s. Ya Rice and Ross are definitely question marks. I'm just saying if 1 or both is legit, they'll have alot of unpredictability.  Also Sky Moore, question mark but potential 

24 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

He had 16 catches for 170 yards in 9 games.

wow i was way off. geez

48 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Detroit can make this game hard, and a slog.  Montgomery and Gibbs - early and often.  Gay and Bolton are good linebackers, but i think the lions line can make it a rough day at the office with Jones not in there.  Get some space in that 10-15 range on play action.  If they have a good red zone plan i think they can absolutely win this game.  

Thats gotta be the gameplan. Then hit the dagger with some classic Goff play action 

27 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

KC could sign 10 UFA's off the street to play offense and still be scary 

I mean... a bit of an overstatement.  Even potentially missing kelce and toney they still have... a top i dunno, 3 offensive line?  Thuney and Humphrey are all-pro's inside with Trey smith who started 17 games as a rookie.  Steady hand at left tackle in Donovan smith.  Added a fairly big money deal to Taylor from Jacksonville. 

Even missing some playmakers, they still will be able to create time and space for mahomes to operate, and lanes in the run game for pacheco to put you into makeable 3rd downs.  Between Moore, MVS, and Mckinnon they have weapons to attack you at all 3 levels, and if Kelce plays you have to flow defense towards him.  

39 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I mean... a bit of an overstatement.  Even potentially missing kelce and toney they still have... a top i dunno, 3 offensive line?  Thuney and Humphrey are all-pro's inside with Trey smith who started 17 games as a rookie.  Steady hand at left tackle in Donovan smith.  Added a fairly big money deal to Taylor from Jacksonville. 

Even missing some playmakers, they still will be able to create time and space for mahomes to operate, and lanes in the run game for pacheco to put you into makeable 3rd downs.  Between Moore, MVS, and Mckinnon they have weapons to attack you at all 3 levels, and if Kelce plays you have to flow defense towards him.  

Honestly, I don't know why people don't properly cover Kelce unless there's just magic/misdirection in how the plays for KC develop. We had a really good gameplan against them during both regular season wins with Tre or Neal just shadowing Kelce, getting in his face and if he caught the ball tackling him hard and making him feel it. Kelce is a bit of a finesse player at this point who works zones well but you can throw him off his game if you bump/rub him at the LOS to throw off timing and making him pay dearly for every catch he does make.

31 minutes ago, uninja said:

Honestly, I don't know why people don't properly cover Kelce unless there's just magic/misdirection in how the plays for KC develop. We had a really good gameplan against them during both regular season wins with Tre or Neal just shadowing Kelce, getting in his face and if he caught the ball tackling him hard and making him feel it. Kelce is a bit of a finesse player at this point who works zones well but you can throw him off his game if you bump/rub him at the LOS to throw off timing and making him pay dearly for every catch he does make.

They do work your zones, and there aren't a lot of defensive players who can match up with him in man.  

They like to have him stop sort of between the Linebacker and the safety, and he's really good at picking a side to create space.  Your options in zone as the SAM are to either take him, or take away the back who's probably leaking out up the sideline and let the mike move in and cover kelce.  You then have the nickel or will trying to pick up some sort of other crosser.  Basically they just keep stabbing you with kelce and then end up taking the other stuff if you prioritize it.  

Kelce was recruited to UC as a dual-threat QB so he sees the field like a quarterback. Remember, Edelman was always open too because he would find the soft spots in zones by reading the defense as the play was happening. Kelce does the same thing. He adjusts routes to find the gaps in the zone and Mahomes finds him because they are both reading the play in the same way. Here's Kurt Warner talking about it

I'm mentally prepared for the Chiefs to win this game without Jones and Kelce, while everyone acts like Mahomes performed a miracle with no weapons.. even though he has the best IOL in the NFL, along with a Day 2 pick from last year, Day 2 pick from the previous year and Day 1 pick from the year before that.

Edited by SCBills

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

No other franchise have Mahomes. Master chef at making chicken salad out of chicken *****. 

Kelce is game time decision and Jones is out.

The Chiefs also have had a pretty good turnover in players which hasn't been talked about too much.  On paper they have replaced

the losses but it's going to come down to how well/fast the new guys fit in.

Chiefs starting DL and the DL depth is going to be interesting to watch how they play together and MVS, Moore and Toney got some

pressure on them to prove they're a threat. Chiefs do have some depth at TE with Gray and Bell.

Could be a high scoring game if the KC D is not allowed to hang on to jerseys.

Go Lions!

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm mentally prepared for the Chiefs to win this game without Jones and Kelce, while everyone acts like Mahomes performed a miracle with no weapons.. even though he has the best IOL in the NFL, along with a Day 2 pick from last year, Day 2 pick from the previous year and Day 1 pick from the year before that.

don’t forget Andy Reid. Mahomes is the best but he certainly is set up for success like not many others. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.