Boogie traded to Giants

Rc2catch

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Who disagrees? The offense is Diggs...hopefully this Kincaid/Knox thing works out...and not much else. WRs and RBs are the definition of average paired with a shakey OL.

It’s not a Kincaid/knox thing.  It’s a Kincaid is a big WR that we will hopefully pay as a TE for the next 12+ years thing.  And he’ll work out.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

There are 32 teams in the league
If you finish eighth, while winning your division you had a good year

I mean they’re drafting well, but they’re also getting better at bats because they missed the playoffs every year

If Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes are your QB and you finish eighth you had a disappointing season 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This is really the simple reality of drafting. Unless you have the difference maker at the most important position in sports, it’s gonna be a struggle. There are HOFers who’ve never sniffed a ring because they languished on teams without a QB to get them there. 

Drafting JA is one thing, but I give Beane more credit for maneuvering from pick 22 to pick 7 in order to get him, especially because he didn’t give up any future first round picks to do so. That took some doing.

If you want to be consistently competitive. But you also need to either draft well or make smart FA moves if you want to be a super bowl contender. The Bills are inching closer to consistently competitive than Super Bowl contender as the FA and draft misses pile up.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Hey, they were gonna cut him as they were overloaded. At least they got something for him.

I don't want to just throw my hands up in the air saying "we can't keep them all because we are loaded at the position."  Then why are we constantly spending premium picks and huge FA contracts at the same position?

4 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I think most are afraid of going back to the good old days of never making the playoffs 

I think fan bases have collective mentalities. Bills Mafia is constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. Despite our success since 2019, we behave like a bunch of Browns fans. Pats fans are like the opposite. They keep waiting for a return to normalcy where they win all the time. I live in Cincinnati, and "Who Dey Nation" has an "us against the world" mentality. They picked it up from Joe Burrow. Before that they were just like us. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Sometimes those closest are the last to know...😕

oh trust me, i'm a realist. but i don't think this team is in rebuild mode.

i think they should be. i think they should tear some things apart and try to retool to be ready in 2024, 2025 at the latest.

draft OL early and often next year. find a gem WR. develop the young players we have now. trade anyone over 32 years old for whatever we can get. can McDermott (should have last year and kept dabol). get Beane some help drafting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If you want to be consistently competitive. But you also need to either draft well or make smart FA moves if you want to be a super bowl contender. The Bills are inching closer to consistently competitive than Super Bowl contender as the FA and draft misses pile up.  

I don’t think I even remotely suggested that drafting well and making smart FA moves aren’t important ingredients for success. What I did suggest is that all the great drafting and FA signings aren’t enough to get you there without the difference maker at QB ( this is when someone invariably mentions Trent Dilfer and a couple other lesser QBs that won SBs). 

To sum it up, great QBing gets you thru times of poor drafting and FA signings far better than crap QBing gets you thru times of great drafting and FA signings. 

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I think fan bases have collective mentalities. Bills Mafia is constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. Despite our success since 2019, we behave like a bunch of Browns fans. Pats fans are like the opposite. They keep waiting for a return to normalcy where they win all the time. I live in Cincinnati, and "Who Dey Nation" has an "us against the world" mentality. They picked it up from Joe Burrow. Before that they were just like us. 

I think it's more worrying about never winning a SB than any specific regional neuroses tbh

This is as good a QB as we are ever likely to have

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

When is Beane going to be held accountable?

That is a great freaking question!!! The return on these early round draft picks are absolutely garbage!!! To make matters worse to me is at that draft I wanted Buffalo to draft DT Christian Barmore and of course the Patriots drafted him to compound matters even more! We would have had to trade up for him but it would have been worth it! Now after 2 years we trade him for a late rd draft pick in next year’s draft??!!! This is too much, I like Beane but this has gone on far too long!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Does anyone know the exact terms of the trade?  When they're announced can the OP please post them so we don't have to sift through 25 pages of crap that complain about a guy being moved who was never going to contribute to this team this year, anyway?

All that was posted was late round swap in 2025. Not sure about the exact terms.

Bills cutting their losses on this one. I am glad that McBeane is able to do so. There was a log jam at DE. Even with Von on the PUP you had Floyd, Shaq, Groot and AJ there. You then have Von coming back whose going to displace someone on the roster if they were carrying five DE's. Shorten the rotation a bit and see how those four play. Getting even just a late round pick back and stock up on the 2024 draft where you will need to acquire more cheap talent to replace some of the aging components on the team. 

3 hours ago, SWATeam said:

LOL, the Jets are certainly the pinnacle of drafting!  🤣🤣🤣

It's hard to miss with 2 picks in the top ten (#4 and #10) in 2022, although the Jests have a tradition of doing so, especially when drafting QBs.  They missed on 2 of their 3 top ten picks since 2018: Sam Darnold in 2018 and Zach Wilson in 2021. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I get it…. Unfortunately for Beane his 2021 and 2022 drafts were trash… and fortunately for him he drafted the best QB in franchise history. 

Not saying he should be fired, but his last two drafts(and other non transactions) have played a part in holding this team back from reaching a SB. 

I think it's very unfair, Nostradamus, that you already know the results of the 2023 NFL season and haven't shared them with your fellow Bills fans on TSW.

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think Terry already did.  Beane took a team that never made the playoffs and transformed it into a team that always makes the playoffs.  Terry counted up the successes and failures and rewarded Beane with an extension.  

One of the things that made Basham expendable is that Beane has successfully acquired other good DEs.  

I do agree, though, Beane still needs to get better as a GM.  He's given McD a good roster to work with, maybe a very good one, but not a great one. 

I would like to see the Bills try to improve their scouting/collegiate player evaluation staff(s).  I think that would probably improve the Bills drafts somewhat.  As long as the Bills are winning double digit games and drafting in slots #21-32 in the first round regularly, though, they're not going to match the draft successes of teams regularly drafting in the top 5-10 positions.

The other day I googled the Bills all time draft history. I think people are glossing over just how bad the past few years have been in terms of the actual draft and then retaining (or choosing to keep) players who showed some level of promise. It’s really a mess! If you compare it to the drafts that lead to the Super Bowl teams there’s no comparison. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I don’t think I even remotely suggested that drafting well and making smart FA moves aren’t important ingredients for success. What I did suggest is that all the great drafting and FA signings aren’t enough to get you there without the difference maker at QB ( this is when someone invariably mentions Trent Dilfer and a couple other lesser QBs that won SBs). 

To sum it up, great QBing gets you thru times of poor drafting and FA signings far better than crap QBing gets you thru times of great drafting and FA signings. 

Agreed. A lot of folks want to give Beane a pass forever because he drafted Allen. That cannot always be the argument back when discussing how well Beane has done. Its like the only options are getting the QB and nothing else or everything else but no QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Beane has been tossing his 2nd round picks in the garbage since he became GM.

He's not the only gm trading players before their rookie contracts are up, but hey you found something else to complain about. Even 1st rounders (Simmons) have been traded before their rookie contract is up. 

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Because you are never REALLY contenders.  They haven’t even made the AFC Championship game. 

Yes they have.

Just now, Dopey said:

He's not the only gm trading players before their rookie contracts are up, but hey you found something else to complain about. Even 1st rounders (Simmons) have been traded before their rookie contract is up. 

But the Cardinals GM isn't the point of comparison. And he is tossing someone else's 1st rounders... Beane did that when he arrived too. Now he has tossed three of his own day 2 picks before the end of their 3rd season - Ford, Moss, Boogie. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The other day I googled the Bills all time draft history. I think people are glossing over just how bad the past few years have been in terms of the actual draft and then retaining (or choosing to keep) players who showed some level of promise. It’s really a mess! If you compare it to the drafts that lead to the Super Bowl teams there’s no comparison. 

Free agency has been very similar. Since Diggs and Allen there has not been a lot of success. Remember Star, Addison, Trent Murphy, Vontae "retiring Davis", Kroft, Howard, Beasley round 2, Brown round 2, Jefferson, Norman, Sanders, Breida, Obada, Haack and on and on. Miller was the big name deal and many questioned giving that kind of money to him...

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

For a moment ponder what the Bills would look like and what the prevailing opinion of McDermott and Beane would be had the Browns or Jets selected Allen in that draft. 

Same group of people bringing this up. Beane drafted him, end of story. Dumb 💩. Just dumb.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I guess that is up to Poona Ford making the team or not.  He hasn't exactly torn it up this summer.

Colorado, I believe Poona’s making the team.  He was solid not when Carrol went to a 3-4, but the year prior in the 4-3.  He penetrates well.  Besides what’s the over/under on how many games Phillips lasts.  He’s great when he plays, but I just don’t know how long he’ll last so that begs other considerations.  Once Von is back, some of Groot’s snaps may come inside.  Shaq may be expendable.

I trust McD.  He knows what he wants.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes they have.

But the Cardinals GM isn't the point of comparison. And he is tossing someone else's 1st rounders... Beane did that when he arrived too. Now he has tossed three of his own day 2 picks before the end of their 3rd season - Ford, Moss, Boogie. 

So?! It happens. To all GM's. Mountain out of a molehill, guys. Surprised you, of all people got a little riled up about it. 

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Rams got a SB without a ton of hits from the draft, at least not their own drafts. There are other paths. 

8 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Free agency has been very similar. Since Diggs and Allen there has not been a lot of success. Remember Star, Addison, Trent Murphy, Vontae "retiring Davis", Kroft, Howard, Beasley round 2, Brown round 2, Jefferson, Norman, Sanders, Breida, Obada, Haack and on and on. Miller was the big name deal and many questioned giving that kind of money to him...

On offense, the household names acquired via the draft are/is just Josh Allen.

On defense via the draft the household names would be Tre White and only recently Milano. 

1 minute ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

The Rams got a SB without a ton of hits from the draft, at least not their own drafts. There are other paths. 

No argument there. And it’s looking more and more like that’s the path the Bills have chosen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I said it before and I’ll say it again. I do think if we held a TBD poll on who to draft when the pick is up, we’d have a better drafting history than Brandon Beane. BUT only after the 2018 draft. Allen wouldn’t be on this team if it were up to TBD at the time 😅

Isn't that like claiming Miami has a better team than the Bills while ignoring the most important position, QB?

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not really… your rounds 1-2 are where you get the elite difference makers statistically… Beanes been a hot mess there and it shows on the field. 

It would be much easier for the Bills to hit on their first and second round draft picks if they regularly drafted in the top ten spot in both rounds, but I don't miss all the years of the season being over by mid-October ... or even late September.

4 hours ago, RunninRebel37 said:

Hmmm…when are folks gonna really be objective about his drafting. Outside of the 2018 draft, what’s he done? The core of this team was truly drafted by - wait for it…Doug Whaley 

Beane 1st & 2nd round picks 

2018- knocked it out the park obviously 

2019 - Oliver : description of mediocre/ Ford: bust 

2020- Diggs: he’s Him….not a draft choice but I’ll give it to Beane/ Epenesa: we’ll below average to borderline bust 

2021- Rousseau: average to slightly above average/ Bassham: bust 

2022- Elam: BUST/ Cook: TBD (but it’s not to question this pick since this teams used 3 valuable picks since 2019 to draft RB and not one has shown they’re an answer or complimentary for this team

Another Nostradamus!  I'm shocked that you haven't already pronounced Kincaid and Torrence doomed to be busts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Boogie was a bad pick at the time. Head scratcher from Beane. 

At the time a number of post draft write ups criticized Bean for taking Rousseau saying Basham was the better passrusher.  Basham rated well out of school and was easily worth a 2nd round shot.  It didn’t pan out in part because this roster is simply a lot deeper than any Bills roster has been for 20 years. 

Edited by DC Grid
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

On offense, the household names acquired via the draft are/is just Josh Allen.

On defense via the draft the household names would be Tre White and only recently Milano. 

No argument there. And it’s looking more and more like that’s the path the Bills have chosen. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-win-projections-regular-season-super-bowl-chris-simms-josh-allen

They got no impact players

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.