WGR speculating the Bills will make a trade

78thealltimegreat

16 minutes ago, mrags said:

If the speculation is that there’s a reasonably sizable trade involving the Bills (not something like a 5th for a backup QB). Then I think it would almost have to involve Elam. There’s likely nobody else on the roster that’s movable for anyone worth a damn. 

I agree the Bills fringe players, or “depth,” are not desirable around the league. And even Elam can only go to a select few teams. It worries me Beane will throw a high pick at another veteran quick fix out of desperation.

• Eyeroll 2

10 minutes ago, buffblue said:

I think Rudolph is better than Kyle Allen. Not saying much I know, and their career stats are similar. He throws a better deep ball for sure. Grasping for straws here

Yeah I don't very much like Rudolph but I think he's probably less accident prone than Kyle. Not saying much unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Rudolph makes a ton of sense. They liked him in 2018, he’s started games in the league is on the bottom of the depth chart in Pittsburgh 

I watched him play sitting at a bar in Nashville and I was sure he was going to to a solid starter.

Did I mention I was sitting at a bar? It was a great afternoon, but a lousy take. But I’m all for the best options! Always look to improve at everything. 

Can I pipe dream an Elam for Taylor scenario here? I mean the cap is just a pretend number that can be circumvented any number of ways right?

I'm not entirely unhappy with our backfield, but starting Taylor over Cook sounds pretty damn good to me! Id move some chips in for that, make it happen Beane!

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Sal C who actually works for the team was just on believing the Bills are working on a trade.
Gotta believe after the Trey Lance news they are looking to upgrade backup QB. I wonder if that doesn’t involve someone like Mason Rudolph who is just kinda going through the motions in Pitt. 

As much as hate our backups as our options (great guys though), not sure Rudolph makes me feel any better. Right or wrong, I just see him getting smashed with helmet and losing his backup job consistently.

• Agree 2

Just now, babulator said:

Can I pipe dream an Elam for Taylor scenario here? I mean the cap is just a pretend number that can be circumvented any number of ways right?

I'm not entirely unhappy with our backfield, but starting Taylor over Cook sounds pretty damn good to me! Id move some chips in for that, make it happen Beane!

Just make sure they do it before my keeper fantasy draft next week. Need to know whether or not to keep Cook. And this is highly important.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Airseven said:

What Bills players do you consider trade ammo?

I would say one of the DEs, going to be a tough cut down, a lot of talent. Maybe Basham, AJ, Jonathan or Shaq. We have a lot of talent at CB, maybe Elam? Also have a lot of talent at Guard. Maybe  Boetger or Mancz. I also think we have 9 draft picks next year….. so Beane has the assets if wants to make a move. 

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Damar is a PR nightmare. I thought he sucked last year and then…

He was better than Lewis or Jaquon Johnson.  But he did often get beat and lacks size......he is an OK 4th safety though IMO....it was not all bad there was a lot of good/ok and then some bad too.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Rudolph makes a ton of sense. They liked him in 2018, he’s started games in the league is on the bottom of the depth chart in Pittsburgh 

I couldn't stand him as a prospect in that draft. Does he really offer much as a backup?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I agree the Bills fringe players, or “depth,” are not desirable around the league. And even Elam can only go to a select few teams. It worries me Beane will throw a high pick at another veteran quick fix out of desperation.

That all depends on the fix imo. A pick at a fix of OT, good. A high pick on a RB, bad. 

at the same time I wouldn’t hate the idea of going for Taylor. But I highly doubt that’s in the cards. 

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Damar is a PR nightmare. I thought he sucked last year and then…

Disagree about Damar sucking.  You have to remember that he was a 6th round draft pick  in his second season and starting for the first time.    IIRC the Bills tried starting Jaquan Johnson after Hyde was injured.  He had 4 years in the system and was terrible.  Damar stepped in and while he wasn’t perfect, he was good enough to steady the ship.  

Damar played the run pretty well and even caused what could have been a game changing fumble against NYJ.  Where he struggled at times was defending against the past.  The Bills gave up more long balls than I remember, and a big reason why IMO is the absence of Hyde.  

He’ll probably never be an All-Pro or even a player you bring in to start.  But I see him as a capable fringe starter somewhere in the NFL

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

I couldn't stand him as a prospect in that draft. Does he really offer much as a backup?

Besides Wentz, I don’t see many better options out there. He’s won games in the NFL, that’s more than most backups can say. 

I don’t love Rudolph by any means, but a reasonable target who could offer a small

upgrade? Rudolph is a decent option

I would have loved Josh Dobbs. Smart gritty dude who played well in a tough spot last year 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I agree. If Josh gets hurt long-term, our season is done anyway.

Rather than giving up on the season..., MY hope is they find a QB who can keep the team going if Josh is out. If he can maybe play .500 ball that might save their playoff chances.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I thought Boogie looked great in preseason, so I don't want him gone. He seems like he's in much better shape and ready to have a breakout year.

I'm hoping I'm wrong. Maybe one of them shines enough to stay on this roster. I don't take much from preseason games any more than how I hit the ball on the driving range.  We'll see tomorrow?

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

I would say one of the DEs, going to be a tough cut down, a lot of talent. Maybe Basham, AJ, Jonathan or Shaq. We have a lot of talent at CB, maybe Elam? Also have a lot of talent at Guard. Maybe  Boetger or Mancz. I also think we have 9 draft picks next year….. so Beane has the assets if wants to make a move. 

Those are rotational bodies, marginal backups. Nobody wants them. Or at least wouldn’t be willing to give up value in return. 

Elam is the obvious answer. But it’ll be tricky to find a partner with a similarly underachieving player w/ upside. Perhaps they can nab a 4th for him and then flip a pick in a separate deal.

Unfortunately, the trade ammo is draft picks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

As much as hate our backups as our options (great guys though), not sure Rudolph makes me feel any better. Right or wrong, I just see him getting smashed with helmet and losing his backup job consistently.

Yeah, I like the idea of a better backup, but are they really out there? I just looked at Mason Rudolph vs Kyle Allen stats, and they’re similar, with a smaller sample size from Rudolph. Additionally, I don’t trust Rudolph and Dodson together. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Disagree about Damar sucking.  You have to remember that he was a 6th round draft pick  in his second season and starting for the first time.    IIRC the Bills tried starting Jaquan Johnson after Hyde was injured.  He had 4 years in the system and was terrible.  Damar stepped in and while he wasn’t perfect, he was good enough to steady the ship.  

Damar played the run pretty well and even caused what could have been a game changing fumble against NYJ.  Where he struggled at times was defending against the past.  The Bills gave up more long balls than I remember, and a big reason why IMO is the absence of Hyde.  

He’ll probably never be an All-Pro or even a player you bring in to start.  But I see him as a capable fringe starter somewhere in the NFL

Agreed. Damar held his own last year under some tough circumstances. There were some good film clips from cover 1, as I recall, showing him play really strong in run support.

I think the Bills are going to be patient with him and his up and down preseason based on what they saw out of him last year, and the need to give him more time to get back from the heart scare.

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Sal C who actually works for the team was just on believing the Bills are working on a trade.
Gotta believe after the Trey Lance news they are looking to upgrade backup QB. I wonder if that doesn’t involve someone like Mason Rudolph who is just kinda going through the motions in Pitt. 

Did Sal C say “I believe the Bills are working on a trade”

or was it more like…..they could look to make a trade

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Did Sal C say “I believe the Bills are working on a trade”

or was it more like…..they could look to make a trade

I heard this and Sal was referencing another reporter who said Elam may be traded because he is the 3rd outside corner on the depth chart. Sal went on to say he could see that happening.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Besides Wentz, I don’t see many better options out there. He’s won games in the NFL, that’s more than most backups can say. 

I don’t love Rudolph by any means, but a reasonable target who could offer a small

upgrade? Rudolph is a decent option

I would have loved Josh Dobbs. Smart gritty dude who played well in a tough spot last year 

Wentz will want to wait to get paid more than vet minimum or slightly more.  I personally don't like his playstyle.

I want a younger guy on the PS.

Beane just can't afford a top-level backup.

1 minute ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

I heard this and Sal was referencing another reporter who said Elam may be traded because he is the 3rd outside corner on the depth chart. Sal went on to say he could see that happening.

I mean, if that’s the speculation then we can just shut this thread down. Sal says stuff like that all the time. Doesn’t mean he thinks it’s happening or heard it could be happening. Just means he COULD SEE IT happening 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With our glut of WRs and need at LB, I'm wondering if Shaq Thompson might be an option. He's obviously at the end of his career and the Panthers aren't winning anything this year. There's the obvious Carolina Joke/tie-in/McBeane connection, but they need WR talent almost as bad as we need off-ball LBs to support Bryce Young. Shakir and a 4th or 5th feels like a no brainer to both sides, to me...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I mean, if that’s the speculation then we can just shut this thread down. Sal says stuff like that all the time. Doesn’t mean he thinks it’s happening or heard it could be happening. Just means he COULD SEE IT happening 

At this time of year Beane is always working the phones.  I bet Sal doesn't know more than that.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Those are rotational bodies, marginal backups. Nobody wants them. Or at least wouldn’t be willing to give up value in return. 

Elam is the obvious answer. But it’ll be tricky to find a partner with a similarly underachieving player w/ upside. Perhaps they can nab a 4th for him and then flip a pick in a separate deal.

Unfortunately, the trade ammo is draft picks.

It’s going to be a tough day tomorrow, Beane will have to cut some good players so hopefully he gets something in return before the cuts. 

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

A few Miami fans with “sources” are convinced the Bills are also after JT 

That would be quite interesting…

but I’d rather we sign Kirksey and look to add QB2 + OT3 

Trading Elam would be a mistake IMO

Where are they claiming this?

13 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Didn't we use a former 1st rounder as our 3rd outside CB when McDermott got here in Kevin Johnson? 

21 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The problem is as a safety, he lacks the instincts and positioning to play the position well.  He's a willing hitter, but the majority of plays I've ever seen him he took a bad angle or was out of position to make a play.  This is not a good issue for a safety to have.  And it's not necessarily something that will come with experience - he has shown the exact same issues with positioning and angles this preseason - which has nothing to do with his injury - it is he just lacks the instinctual talent to play the position at a high level.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

With our glut of WRs and need at LB, I'm wondering if Shaq Thompson might be an option. He's obviously at the end of his career and the Panthers aren't winning anything this year. There's the obvious Carolina Joke/tie-in/McBeane connection, but they need WR talent almost as bad as we need off-ball LBs to support Bryce Young. Shakir and a 4th or 5th feels like a no brainer to both sides, to me...

None of our WRs are proven besides Diggs and Davis. After Davis’s game on Saturday some might think going for a legit #2 WR is on the table. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.