Bills @ Bears Game Day Thread?!?!?!?

EmotionallyUnstable

Preseason games are for getting your starters in sync and evaluations of bubble players.  I think today's game did just that, so it was a win.

Beane has to do something at MLB.  Kyle Allen may have to start the season as QB2 but Beane needs (at a minimum) to bring a better

prospect at QB for the PS with hope he moves Kyle of the 53.  At most get a qualified QB2 on the team before the 1st game.

Look to upgrade (if possible) the OT situation.  Depth at WR/TE/RB all look ok for the other offensive positions.

The rest of the D (other than MLB) looks good enough for me.

Let's get this done and start the season!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

True but that is a rotational position. The whole point of the Bills staying in nickel the whole time is they can play run or pass with two do it all backers. If their LB packages show their hand it negates one of the strengths of the scheme.

Fair point but the statistics on defense say that he played on 98% of Atlanta’s defensive snaps last year with well over a third of them being in a passing (presumably nickel) personnel. It isn’t looking pretty with anything we have on the roster. A cast off isn’t going to be worse and for a defense that lines up in a pass defensive unit more often than not, the biggest changes are for those at the front for gap control and technique. I’d rather they exhaust all options. He produced in Atlanta last year and did collegiately. We’ve seen it in the past where we’ve struggled to get off the field or make stops at crucial times in crucial games with this core staff and roster… with the way the LB play is looking, that might be rearing it’s head again. 

I am not, like most fans I’m sure, asking not expecting an All-Pro LB to be slotted into the need we have but there has to be an upgrade out there these coming weeks who is available for the team. 

Edited by BBFL

29 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Is it too soon for the Bears to take the GSH off their uniforms?  George Hallas has been dead for 40 years.

A common misconception.  The year after Hallas' death, those were meant to signify his initials.  Ever since then, it has been related to the Bears' performance on field:

'Golly!  Sure Hurts!'

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Preseason games are for getting your starters in sync and evaluations of bubble players.  I think today's game did just that, so it was a win.

Beane has to do something at MLB.  Kyle Allen may have to start the season as QB2 but Beane needs (at a minimum) to bring a better

prospect at QB for the PS with hope he moves Kyle of the 53.  At most get a qualified QB2 on the team before the 1st game.

Look to upgrade (if possible) the OT situation.  Depth at WR/TE/RB all look ok for the other offensive positions.

The rest of the D (other than MLB) looks good enough for me.

Let's get this done and start the season!

Go Bills!

Kyle Allen might be one of the worst Bills backups I've seen in 20 years.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

To be truthful I thought he was a good signing for the backup position.  I was wrong.  Barkley isn't any better, so they need another lotto ticket.

As for the "worse" I won't go down that road.  There wasn't even a decent starter through most of that time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

He's a vet backup/situational back at this stage. I think he can adequately fill that role for this season and bring knowledge and experience for the young ones.

I like the fact that he has fumbled 3 times in his last 1000 carries and lost none of them. Not a single lost fumble in the last 7 seasons

I just think we have 4 or 5 guys better than him. It’s not a game for slow guys. At this stage, I want young legs at all the skill positions. I don’t expect him to make the team

46 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This sounds like a fun game.  I don't like Kyle Allen either but let's plumb those depths. Bills QBs since 2003 not named Josh Allen. Not listed in any particular order. Rank em. If I missed anybody my apologies.

Kyle Allen

Jeff Tuel

Nathan Peterman

Brian Brohm

Derek Anderson

Joe Webb

Thad Lewis

Travis Brown

Levi Brown

Tyler Thigpen

Cardale Jones

JP Losman

Kelly Holcomb

Trent Edwards

Ryan Fitzpatrick

EJ Manuel

Shane Matthews

Drew Bledsoe

Alex Van Pelt

Davis Webb

Case Keenum

Matt Barkley

edit: Tyrod Taylor

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Angry 1

Gabe Davis - 1 reception on 4 targets (15 yards)

Stefon Diggs - 2 receptions on 2 targets (20 yards)

Didn't watch the full game, just the game broken down into a 30 min cut, but looks like Gabe is still inconsistent in pulling down those passes despite the many chances.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Didn't watch the full game, just the game broken down into a 30 min cut, but looks like Gabe is still inconsistent in pulling down those passes despite the many chances.

One is a bad throw become an interception and another is a good defense play where the cornerback has his hand on the ball. Can’t recall the 3rd one, but don’t get an impression Davis is inconsistent pulling the ball in when watching the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Nathan Peterman says, "hello," from the Bears' sideline. And, LABILLBACKER. You must have been at that Chargers game at Stubhub, right?

6 minutes ago, syhuang said:

One is a bad throw become an interception and another is a good defense play where the cornerback has his hand on the ball. Can’t recall the 3rd one, but don’t get an impression Davis is inconsistent pulling the ball in when watching the game.

I disagree. The interception was a terrible route, where Davis gained zero leverage. It was also a terrible throw, but one that shouldn't have been made. The PBU was also a bad route with zero separation, and another was a drop. 

I would love to believe in Davis, but today did little to inspire, IMO.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

A “target” provides no context. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. Well coughing up a return today defeinitely hasn't helped his case. I don't think Harty has been stand out at all in pre-season. But I do think he is making the team. As their main returner if nothing else. His usage on O will be interesting to track.

Sharty has shown ZERO juice in preseason.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Nathan Peterman says, "hello," from the Bears' sideline. And, LABILLBACKER. You must have been at that Chargers game at Stubhub, right?

I disagree. The interception was a terrible route, where Davis gained zero leverage. It was also a terrible throw, but one that shouldn't have been made. The PBU was also a bad route with zero separation, and another was a drop. 

I would love to believe in Davis, but today did little to inspire, IMO.

the post I replied to is about Davis having trouble pulling in the ball thrown to him, which I don’t have this impression during the game. The reply you made is about bad route, which may or may not be true, but is not what was discussed originally (have trouble pulling in the throws)

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, syhuang said:

The "3rd" one was the first pass of the game where Allen put a slant right on his hands and he just plain dropped it.

Excusing him for passes defended and interceptions ignores the fact that he doesn't play the position well enough to get open on the short and intermediate routes that move the chains.  

When you can't get open on most of the routes in the tree you gotta' be good at catching contested passes at least.........and he's not.    That's why he can't be an efficient WR2.

Last year Josh Allen's QB rating dropped a staggering 40 points when targeting Gabe(80) versus WR1 Diggs (120)..............and passes to Davis result in INT's more than any other target on the Bills.  

He does two things well.........run deep routes(like 9's and post routes)........ and then come back to the ball on very slow developing plays or scrambles.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, syhuang said:

He had 2, including the first play of the game, that hit him in the hands and he dropped. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

On 8/26/2023 at 5:13 PM, BuffaninSarasota said:

A “target” provides no context. 

It provides a start. No stat provides ALL context, but in conjunction with what we've seen before, it still has value.

2020 - 35 receptions on 62 targets (58%)

2021 - 35 receptions on 63 targets (56%)

2022 - 48 receptions on 93 targets (52%)

So do QB's just throw worse every time they target Gabe? Or was Gabe 1 for 4 today because he either doesn't run the best routes, drops passes, or isn't able to get seperation & fight off defenders? 

By comparison, here's Diggs:

2020 - 127 receptions on 166 targets (77%)

2021 - 103 receptions on 164 targets (63%)

2022 - 108 receptions on 154 targets (70%)

Guess Allen just throws better when targeting Diggs...

Edited by BigDingus
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The "3rd" one was the first pass of the game where Allen put a slant right on his hands and he just plain dropped it.

Excusing him for passes defended and interceptions ignores the fact that he doesn't play the position well enough to get open on the short and intermediate routes that move the chains.  

When you can't get open on most of the routes in the tree you gotta' be good at catching contested passes at least.........and he's not.    That's why he can't be an efficient WR2.

Last year Josh Allen's QB rating dropped a staggering 40 points when targeting Gabe(80) versus WR1 Diggs (120)..............and passes to Davis result in INT's more than any other target on the Bills.  

He does two things well.........run deep routes(like 9's and post routes)........ and then come back to the ball on very slow developing plays or scrambles.   

I'm a Davis fan but have no defense for him today. Another flat out drop and the stats are what they are. 

Diggs needs 20 more targets during the season than compared to last year. They need to ride him to the SuperBowl and use him like the top 3 WR he is. 

Kincaid and Knox need to be option #2/3 on this offense. Let Davis pick up the scraps until he can prove he won't drop the easy ones and kill drives.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Starters did what they needed to do except:

Davis - bad drops, almost fumbled his first down wide open catch, did not defend on the interception and could have knocked the ball down. 
Harty - Not seeing the extra gear we hear about. His punt returns sucked, both were long kicks that gave him a ton of space. 
Kincaid - Will need to rewatch but he got shut out. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Starters did what they needed to do except:

Davis - bad drops, almost fumbled his first down wide open catch, did not defend on the interception and could have knocked the ball down. 
Harty - Not seeing the extra gear we hear about. His punt returns sucked, both were long kicks that gave him a ton of space. 
Kincaid - Will need to rewatch but he got shut out. 

Kincaid drew two defensive penalties. I am pretty sure they are keeping some of what Kincaid will do under wraps.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.