Are we lacking leadership?

Success

33 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If Josh was getting in teammates faces you would have heard from an ex teammate by now that he was. He’s just not wired like that. 

I was more getting at that some people think the only way to show leadership is to yell at your teammates, in public or behind closed doors. Your right though, Josh isn’t like that at all and I appreciate it

• Agree 2

Without being on the practice field, in the meeting rooms, in the locker room, and on the sideline, I don't know how you're supposed to competently evaluate the Bills leadership.

From the bits and pieces I hear from players, McD seems to possess good leadership skills.  But I wouldn't assert that confidently without far more first-hand knowledge.  As for player leaders, I have no idea.  

• Agree 1

I think we have tons of leaders but we don’t seem to have that alpha dog punch you in the mouth style leader or perfectionist who will rip you.  Nowadays those guys are likely very rare anyway so it’s hard to say how much of a deficit that is or isn’t. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I think we have tons of leaders but we don’t seem to have that alpha dog punch you in the mouth style leader or perfectionist who will rip you.  Nowadays those guys are likely very rare anyway so it’s hard to say how much of a deficit that is or isn’t. 

Who on the Chiefs does that describe tho

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Who on the Chiefs does that describe tho

Heck, I barely know the Bills well enough to guess. 

Mahomes appears more like a perfectionist type than I once thought. If I really had to guess I would say Bieniemy used to be that person for

them. But who knows. 

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Heck, I barely know the Bills well enough to guess. 

Mahomes appears more like a perfectionist type than I once thought. If I really had to guess I would say Bieniemy used to be that person for

them. But who knows. 

Mahomes strikes me as very laid back, extremely competitive for sure but not a psychopath about it

tbh I don't think I can point to one individual thing the Bills lack that's keeping them from a Super Bowl other than winning enough games, I don't think there's some secret formula or anything

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

That said, If next season ends like last season (especially if we’re healthier), I’d be happy if we moved on from him and hired an offensive Hc like your boy Ben Johnson.  

You don't really believe that there's a chance that Pegula would fire McD, do you?  I can't imagine that Beane would, ever.  Pegs just extended both of 'em.  If he even remotely thought that there's a chance he'd fire one or the other after the season, why would he have extended them when they were signed through '24?  

I don't even see that as a possibility.  I do thnk that the wheels come off defensively speaking, and we could be in trouble on offense if our OL isn't good or we get significant injuries there.  

BTW, keep an eye on Press Taylor.  IMO he's going to be a hot commodity for a head coach following this season.  More so than Ben Johnson.  

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

You don't really believe that there's a chance that Pegula would fire McD, do you?  I can't imagine that Beane would, ever.  Pegs just extended both of 'em.  If he even remotely thought that there's a chance he'd fire one or the other after the season, why would he have extended them when they were signed through '24?  

I don't even see that as a possibility.  I do thnk that the wheels come off defensively speaking, and we could be in trouble on offense if our OL isn't good or we get significant injuries there.  

BTW, keep an eye on Press Taylor.  IMO he's going to be a hot commodity for a head coach following this season.  More so than Ben Johnson.  

The Bills would definitely have to at least miss the playoffs for McDermott or Beane to be in trouble after this season. From someone I know who had good contacts inside the building there is next to no internal pressure from Pegula and the extensions were evidence of that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills would definitely have to at least miss the playoffs for McDermott or Beane to be in trouble after this season. From someone I know who had good contacts inside the building there is next to no internal pressure from Pegula and the extensions were evidence of that. 

Yeah, I would have to think that's exactly the case.  

Even if we missed the playoffs, depending upon the reason I'm still not sure I see it happening.  (Allen injured e.g.)  It would be a bad look for Pegula if he fired one or both when they were originally signed only for one more season after this one.  

I also see very little chance of us missing the playoffs as long as Allen remains in one piece.  I can see us getting a wild-card however.  The divisional games will be key.  We're 5-1 in the regular season against all three other teams in it over the past three seasons.  I would suspect that whichever team has the best divisional record will win the division.  

I'm actually pretty jacked, I enjoy it when the division is tough.  It sucks when there's only one good team.  I hearken back to the days of the Kelly v. Marino years for instance, what a great rivalry.  

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Anyone who claims Allen lacks leadership literally knows nothing about Allen as countless players have talked about his leadership and not being like anything they have been around before.  

Yeah, I've gotta say.  Also, he leads more by his play than most as well.  

7 hours ago, Success said:

I saw Broussard say this the other day, responding to Nick Wright's usual deranged lunacy about the Bills.  He couldn't agree w/ some of ol' Nick's ridiculous assessments, but in trying to find some common ground for why Buffalo will never win anything ever at any time, he said that they do lack leadership, from any player, or from McDermott.

Personally, I don't fully agree.  I think Allen leads by example, and is a strong personality at the most important position. We've all seen those moments like the end of the 13 seconds game, where he was exhorting the defense on the sideline after our last score, and getting everyone fired up.

McDermott - who has my support as a fan - I'm not so sure on.  He seems to be in the weeds a lot, focused on the details. And I think he's a detail guy in general. I'm not sure if he truly LEADS this team, like some of the more legendary HC's who really set the tone, set the boundaries, and were able to create a vision everyone could get behind.

Curious what everyone else thinks, and if a "lack of leadership" might be the missing piece that the team needs to figure out, or just develop as they continue to mature.

I believe McBeane are builders . They can build a winning program by instilling culture getting everyone involved hiring the right trainers doing the little things at a extremely high level . But that we’re it stops they have a ceiling whether via scheming or player evaluations drafting and resource allocation there horrible at that. McD is a modern day Marty Schott but maybe even worse since Marty never really had a franchise QB outside of Rivers for a few yrs Bernie Kosar was a borderline elite QB kind of like a Tony Romo but was never considered one of the top 5-6 QBs in the game. 

McBeane I believe have peaked and there are whispers that there losing the locker room . They seem to never really learn from there mistakes as well. They missed a massive opportunity to really build a juggernaut after losing in AFC championship game a few yrs back. They had tons of cap space and a abundance of pks in the draft but never built the Oline into a force because they were to busy using multiple high pks on DEs that were falling in the draft like Epenesa and Basham. They also blew multiple bks on backs that we’re JAG types like Moss or Singletary . Resource allocation to me is where they are the most weak at when it comes to team building. Spending draft picks & top 3 money in the league on a dline that never can dominate games is a travesty. They also used 2 3rd rd picks in a row on Matt Milano backups . 

This regime also can’t find superstar talent in the draft . They actually traded away the #1 QB in the league Mahomes and the #1 Wr in the league in Jefferson but Beane wants to make excuses that u have to stink to find difference makers in the draft . 

Have they blown every decision no but they’ve done enough harm throwing away pks for rotation players that were now living on the cusp of salary cap hell . I can go on and on with this regime failures seems to me like there riding the back of Josh Allen to 12-13 wins per yr and at some point that will end. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

I saw Broussard say this the other day, responding to Nick Wright's usual deranged lunacy about the Bills.  He couldn't agree w/ some of ol' Nick's ridiculous assessments, but in trying to find some common ground for why Buffalo will never win anything ever at any time, he said that they do lack leadership, from any player, or from McDermott.

Personally, I don't fully agree.  I think Allen leads by example, and is a strong personality at the most important position. We've all seen those moments like the end of the 13 seconds game, where he was exhorting the defense on the sideline after our last score, and getting everyone fired up.

McDermott - who has my support as a fan - I'm not so sure on.  He seems to be in the weeds a lot, focused on the details. And I think he's a detail guy in general. I'm not sure if he truly LEADS this team, like some of the more legendary HC's who really set the tone, set the boundaries, and were able to create a vision everyone could get behind.

Curious what everyone else thinks, and if a "lack of leadership" might be the missing piece that the team needs to figure out, or just develop as they continue to mature.

I think the Bills will never win with McDermott and Beane,  they get credit for turning things around but that is because of Josh Allen who is a HOF type of QB.I think it was a huge mistake for Pegula to give them both extensions.

• Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Right- that’s why I mentioned the extension

No, I don’t believe that they will fire him after this season unless the defense stinks. 

if the defense stinks, we probably won’t make the playoffs (in my estimation).  If we don’t make the playoffs, yesc I think he could be fired. 

it’ll take a very bad season.  I don’t think it’s impossible considering the conference and our schedule.

13 hours ago, maddenboy said:

i've always thought that this is not leadership.   Leadership is a skill (not a trait you are 'born with').   Leading is a verb.

"watch me" is not leadership.   At best it is a template.  "hey guys, this is what it looks like to be good.  so take a picture and get to work on building one of your own"

It seems like coach-speak.  Coach says to the players "i know he is not actively teaching you guys.  so just watch him and try to pick up whatever you can"

Also, its not what a leader actually says.   Because leaders approach it as a skill to be learned, practiced, and part of the job of winning.  Of doing everything possible to win and improve others.

Who says "i lead by example?"  It is usually said by somebody else, as in "dont worry:  he leads by example."

When Josh hurdles a defender, stiff-arms and pancakes a would-be tackler, or takes a hit going for a first down, his teammates are thinking, "I need to step up my game." I was always inspired by coworkers who went above and beyond. I felt like I didn't deserve to be their colleague if I didn't strive to improve myself. That's leading by example.  And the most effective managers I had were like McD: they had high expectations, and if you didn't meet them, they offered advice and constructive criticism without chewing anyone out.

My Dad wasn't much of a talker and he rarely lectured, but he was a model citizen, an excellent husband, and a great father. My siblings and I learned from his example.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No, I don’t believe that they will fire him after this season unless the defense stinks. 

if the defense stinks, we probably won’t make the playoffs (in my estimation).  If we don’t make the playoffs, yesc I think he could be fired. 

it’ll take a very bad season.  I don’t think it’s impossible considering the conference and our schedule.

It wouldn't shock me in the slightest to see McD fired and replaced with a dynamic offensive coach if the D blows and we miss the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I have an issue with the bolded part. First, you have no idea if Josh criticizes players behind closed doors-he doesn’t need to make a spectacle of it in front of the world during a game. Which leads to the second part-immature children throw tantrums on the sidelines at their teammates. I don’t understand why so many people think you have to embarrass your teammates on the sidelines in order to be seen as a good leader 

There is absolutely no chance that Josh is lighting into guys "behind closed doors".  None.  He's not that kind of guy--and that's OK.

To be that guy you have to have some authority to do so.  If you are going to point your finger in a teammates face, it better have at least 1 ring on it.  Brady, Jordan, Kobe famously did this--and it worked.  They absolutely made their teammates better. 

Hyde?  Tre?...Dawkins????!!  Nah. Perhaps Miller, if he's around. 

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Look Josh is a firey guy with his play but he also loves his teammates too much to call them out and criticize them.

Every team needs that guy who gets in players faces when they just aren’t playing well.

The Bills honestly really don’t kinda have that. 
And it shouldn’t have to be all on Josh he’s the freaking team. 
Get Steff Diggs to start calling out some these guys on the sidelines he seems like a good candidate. 

In your face is overrated today's players. What you do on the field is in my opinion more important. Yelling has a short shelf life.

• Agree 2

Just now, Dillenger4 said:

They don't lack "leadership".. they simply and truly lack toughness! This is not a tough team. We don't have that "guy" that can wreck an O line like a Watt or Bosa. Even Miami has a "guy" on their D line that wrecks us every game.

Also - Our O is very wimpy.

There it is. Buffalo lacks killers.

Well, OK, but it would help to define "the defense stinks," and "a very bad season."   Those are subjective measures.  

It almost sounds as if you're saying that if the unimaginable occurs, then he could be fired.  I suppose, but that's extreme.  

Also, define "stinks"?  What, ranked out of the top-10?  Worse?  What ranking would it take for that to occur in your mind?  

Also define "very bad season"?  To me a "very bad season," given that we have Allen, would be fewer than 10 wins, going less than 4-2 in the division.  Barring an injury to Allen, I find it all but impossible that we don't make the playoffs, even if only as a 6th or 7th seed.  I don't envision that most coaches with Allen, Diggs, Davis, Knox, Kincaid, Cook, Harris would miss the playoffs entirely, on any team otherwise, even with a 20th ranked D.  

But yeah, I'll take the opposite tack.  

I don't think that our D is going to be very good at all.  Average-ish as I've often suggested.  IMO ranked somewhere in the teens.  But it's sucked in the playoffs anyway, low-end there as I've statistically laid out before, and if there's one thing we've learned it's that offense is what wins championships more often than not these days.  The Chiefs won last season with the 1st-ranked offense but the 16th ranked D.  The year before the Rams won with the 7th ranked offense and the 15th ranked D.  The year prior to that the Bucs won it on offense also, scoring a perfect 31 in three games and 30 in their other playoff game with Brady, they had the 8th ranked D.  D isn't necessary for a championship, why the team is so much more focused on the D, while being another issue, is problematic given that until this past offseason they've all but ignored the offense, and the OL in particular.  

After the heavy draft investment in offense, people are going to be looking for a commensurate improvement there.  If that happens, I see no reason as to why we can't still be 13-4, or let's simply say have 11+ wins, even with a very average D.  As you've no doubt read, I'm of the opinion that this offense is going to set records this season, franchise if not league.  Even if we don't do that but end up with the #1 Offense, and the 18th ranked Defense, I'd view that as bery successful and IMO it would take us to another division win and the best chances for playoff success since our D goes flat and doesn't cut it in the playoffs far more often than not.  

Pegula would look like a jacka$$ if he fired either McD or Beane, under pretty much any circumstances after giving them both extensions months ago when their contracts had one more season beyond this one as it was.  One of the largely held opinions by many in both fandom and media was why he gave them that extension with another year after this one remaining.  I also envision him giving those guys at least one mulligan.  

OTOH, the one thing that could derail the train as it were, IMO, is if we go say 2-4 in the division with Belichick, McDaniel, or Saleh outcoaching McD to the extent that the national media notices, and how would they not, and we finish say 3rd in the division, even if we get a 7th seed, I can see the fans and media forcing Pegula's hand.  But I see absolutely no circumstances under which Pegula would fire either after this season w/o being forced by public/media/fan pressure/opinion.  

It does seem that whatever happens, McD/Beane are here, or not, as a tandem, going to share the same fate if it comes to that.  

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Well, OK, but it would help to define "the defense stinks," and "a very bad season."   Those are subjective measures.  

It almost sounds as if you're saying that if the unimaginable occurs, then he could be fired.  I suppose, but that's extreme.  

Also, define "stinks"?  What, ranked out of the top-10?  Worse?  What ranking would it take for that to occur in your mind?  

Also define "very bad season"?  To me a "very bad season," given that we have Allen, would be fewer than 10 wins, going less than 4-2 in the division.  Barring an injury to Allen, I find it all but impossible that we don't make the playoffs, even if only as a 6th or 7th seed.  I don't envision that most coaches with Allen, Diggs, Davis, Knox, Kincaid, Cook, Harris would miss the playoffs entirely, on any team otherwise, even with a 20th ranked D.  

But yeah, I'll take the opposite tack.  

I don't think that our D is going to be very good at all.  Average-ish as I've often suggested.  IMO ranked somewhere in the teens.  But it's sucked in the playoffs anyway, low-end there as I've statistically laid out before, and if there's one thing we've learned it's that offense is what wins championships more often than not these days.  The Chiefs won last season with the 1st-ranked offense but the 16th ranked D.  The year before the Rams won with the 7th ranked offense and the 15th ranked D.  The year prior to that the Bucs won it on offense also, scoring a perfect 31 in three games and 30 in their other playoff game with Brady, they had the 8th ranked D.  D isn't necessary for a championship, why the team is so much more focused on the D, while being another issue, is problematic given that until this past offseason they've all but ignored the offense, and the OL in particular.  

After the heavy draft investment in offense, people are going to be looking for a commensurate improvement there.  If that happens, I see no reason as to why we can't still be 13-4, or let's simply say have 11+ wins, even with a very average D.  As you've no doubt read, I'm of the opinion that this offense is going to set records this season, franchise if not league.  Even if we don't do that but end up with the #1 Offense, and the 18th ranked Defense, I'd view that as bery successful and IMO it would take us to another division win and the best chances for playoff success since our D goes flat and doesn't cut it in the playoffs far more often than not.  

Pegula would look like a jacka$$ if he fired either McD or Beane, under pretty much any circumstances after giving them both extensions months ago when their contracts had one more season beyond this one as it was.  One of the largely held opinions by many in both fandom and media was why he gave them that extension with another year after this one remaining.  I also envision him giving those guys at least one mulligan.  

OTOH, the one thing that could derail the train as it were, IMO, is if we go say 2-4 in the division with Belichick, McDaniel, or Saleh outcoaching McD to the extent that the national media notices, and how would they not, and we finish say 3rd in the division, even if we get a 7th seed, I can see the fans and media forcing Pegula's hand.  But I see absolutely no circumstances under which Pegula would fire either after this season w/o being forced by public/media/fan pressure/opinion.  

It does seem that whatever happens, McD/Beane are here, or not, as a tandem, going to share the same fate if it comes to that.  

It’s a post on a message board. I don’t have the time nor to I feel the need to break things down into detail in order to satisfy your defining needs.  Thanks for the advice though.  

You’ll know if the defense stinks.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s a post on a message board. I don’t have the time nor to I feel the need to break things down into detail in order to satisfy your defining needs.  Thanks for the advice though.  

You’ll know if the defense stinks.  

But you expect me to break things down in avid detail at times.  

Sure.  

I also didn't realize that to break down in a sentence or two how you define "defense stinks" as being some arduous time-consuming task.  ... given how much you post otherwise.  Just sayin'.  

Edited by PBF81

Not worried about leadership on this team.

I am worried how they handle pressure. Last year was intense but this year will be even greater. Will be interesting to see how they handle adversity. Last year despite not looking like a great team they still won 13 games. 

This year they may play better and look better but win only 10 or 11 games. Will the added losses cause unrest or just make them more ready for playoff football???

This team doesn’t need more leaders, and players criticizing other players isn’t leadership.  Demonstrating an introspective desire for perfection and discipline shows leadership.  Letting your teammates know I won’t personally allow any sloppiness from myself.  I’m going to keep working on each basic skill until I master one.  That’s leadership.  Not tolerating mediocrity and surrounding yourself with like minded others is infectious with groups in the team until you don’t want to not be on the bus.

McD has flipped a horrible culture for 17 years of crap.  It seems some here have a short memory.  I’m 55 and I remember what it’s like when it really sucks.  We just finished 13-3.  Do you know how ridiculous this sounds to Houston fans as an example?  That’s a lack of leadership.  Las Vegas, AZ, and even Dallas.  That’s a lack of leadership.  Players want to come to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

As others have stated, they lack killers and intensity.  

This whole team has a feel of middle manager calm and discipline because that's who Sean McDermott is.   It works until you hit adversity.  

I bet you $50 that Ken Dorsey got talked to about his rage in Miami last year, and how "we all have to act like the professionals we are..."  

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

But you expect me to break things down in avid detail at times.  

Sure.  

I also didn't realize that to break down in a sentence or two how you define "defense stinks" as being some arduous time-consuming task.  ... given how much you post otherwise.  Just sayin'.  

Ok, here’s the breakdown:  If the defense stinks, you’ll know.  

There are different kinds of leadership.

I believe the Bills do have great leaders on the team, ranging from the coaching staff to the players on the field. 

I'm just not quite sure they are the kind of leaders needed to ultimately win an NFL championship.

For example.. The job done last year to keep this team together during the Damar Hamlin situation was amazing.  Nobody should ever discredit McDermott for the way he handled an unprecedented on-field tragedy, and got his team to continue winning games.  He also must receive the credit for transforming a two-decade losing culture at One Bills Drive into one of the most respected franchises in the NFL.  But when you look at situations such as 13 Seconds, or his comments regarding Stefon Diggs absence in mini-camp... it's also fair to question his ability to make quick/wise decisions on the spot.  Which is a vital characteristic for someone in his position.

In terms of Josh Allen, you probably can't find an example of a harder-working Quarterback.  He sets the example and the tone for this offense, and is certainly respected by his teammates.  But he also seems to lack the poise and calm that other top QBs often showcase in the big games.  When things start spiraling out of control, he often does too much, leading to too many turnovers/mistakes.

Teams usually resemble their leaders.  There is probably a reason the Bills are known for making mistakes in the biggest moments.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I was more getting at that some people think the only way to show leadership is to yell at your teammates, in public or behind closed doors. Your right though, Josh isn’t like that at all and I appreciate it

I hear ya man he’s just a an intense player it honestly should be Von the man is going to Canton Ohio on the first ballot 

1 hour ago, Radar said:

In your face is overrated today's players. What you do on the field is in my opinion more important. Yelling has a short shelf life.

I don’t know I still think there’s a place for a fiery leaders not everybody is the this is my job crowd. Tom Brady was legendary for calling out teammates in practice   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.