Dion Dawkins

Toledo Bill

30 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Leadership and attitude are ok actually great.  His weight seems like an issue to some outside but the bills have no made that a thing. Publicly. 

By leadership I was referring to his appearing to be out of shape and being more of a comedian than a take charge leader.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

To go turtles

oh, come on he doesn’t weigh 400 pounds

Does he?

I wish he did them the devwould have a lot more running around to do and with that much weight behind it he'd have a great pushoff that would knock defenders off their feet more than is happening now.  He's just causing his own movement to be effected in a negative way imo.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I have wondered for a while if he may have some long Covid stuff going on.

Could be, hope not for his sake,

3 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Dawkins is horrible and should never have been paid. This is one of the worst OLs in the league and it’s pathetic 

Lol relax. Worse ol is a bit crazy but more importantly it's on the coaches to scheme up easier, quicker reads for Allen . Tired of these long developing plays with subpar protection 

We're stuck with dion til next year, hope they draft a high OT and coach him up for 25, at the very least compete with Dion at LT and try him at G which he was considered while coming outta college 

Edited by JerseyBills

2 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

I am amazed that Dawkins has not had a serious injury. A 400 pound out of shape NFL player is a huge risk for a leg injury. With our tackle “depth” we could end up in even worse shape than we are. 
I hope he stays healthy and turns things around but right now he is a huge liability.

Is he really 400 pounds? I haven't seen the games or photos of him. Is it really that bad? He's always been soft and fat, but he got the job done. 

27 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

For me, I've never said the guy is Tyron Smith.  He isn't.  He isn't a lockdown LT because he isn't as athletic as guys like Smith, Stanley, or Trent Williams.  But to say he's replacement level, given his track record in the league, id say that's wrong. 

And therein lies the problem with Dion. If you’re not some sort of athletic specimen at LT you have to work even harder and maximize what you do do well. He wasn’t always a bad body player, go back and look at his build during his early years. His body - specifically his midsection - has just gotten worse as time goes on and I don’t have faith he’ll suddenly hire a nutritionist and personal trainer to become the best version he could possibly be. I can’t call him an above average LT anymore. At this point he’s average, trending towards replacement level. He was out there losing reps not against TJ Watt, but 4th round rookie Nick Herbig. 

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Agree 1

The Bills need to create some cap space and other than waiving a few key guys at cut down, it would seem an extension is possible.    Dion's contract could create space if they extended him but I am hoping they just let it stand.  I feat him or Tre will get extended.  Daquan Jones or Taron Johnson are the guys I would consider extending.

• Like (+1) 1

He's legitimately fat and that impacts his range of motion and quickness.  Look at Trent Williams, Lane Johnson, Laremy Tunsil.  Those guys are well-conditioned tackles.  Dion Dawkins needs a trainer and a nutritionist.  

The Eagles run game was so dynamic last year because that OL was in shape.  They were able to play at 1st quarter energy in the 4th quarter because they were in shape.  I think the Bills OL overall are strong but they are strong men with slow feet.   They wind fast, and quick defensive linemen can get around the tackles as the game goes on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Our offensive line is in rough shape for the future.

LT - Dawkins is turning 30 this upcoming year and looks like he doesn't have many seasons left.

C  - Is a walking concussion and I'm honestly shocked he is even still playing

RT - Just horrendous.

Meh…

McGovern, Bates and Torrence are all locked up long term.  

You can find top tier Centers where we typically draft in the 1st and 2nd. 

Tackle is an issue.  Especially if we end up needing two of them after this year.

Worst case scenario, we may need to let Gabe, Dawkins, Floyd, Daquan, Hyde and Poyer all walk so we can to bring in some new, proven Tackles. 

Backfill WR, S, DL with draft picks and/or vet FA’s willing to take cheap deals. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dpberr said:

He's legitimately fat and that impacts his range of motion and quickness.  Look at Trent Williams, Lane Johnson, Laremy Tunsil.  Those guys are well-conditioned tackles.  Dion Dawkins needs a trainer and a nutritionist.  

The Eagles run game was so dynamic last year because that OL was in shape.  They were able to play at 1st quarter energy in the 4th quarter because they were in shape.  I think the Bills OL overall are strong but they are strong men with slow feet.   They wind fast, and quick defensive linemen can get around the tackles as the game goes on.

it has always felt with him, since the day after he got his long term deal, that he never strives to get actually Better.

it feels like every off season his goal is to . . . eventually . . . hopefully by week 2 or 3, get 'back to my old self.' 

And as you get older, of course, its harder to get back to where you used to be.   Especially if you arent reaching for anything beyond that.

42 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

And therein lies the problem with Dion. If you’re not some sort of athletic specimen at LT you have to work even harder and maximize what you do do well. He wasn’t always a bad body player, go back and look at his build during his early years. His body - specifically his midsection - has just gotten worse as time goes on and I don’t have faith he’ll suddenly hire a nutritionist and personal trainer to become the best version he could possibly be. I can’t call him an above average LT anymore. At this point he’s average, trending towards replacement level. He was out there losing reps not against TJ Watt, but 4th round rookie Nick Herbig. 

Your dead on about his physique.  He carries his weight in his belly and hips.   I'm in no position to speak about weight but I'm also not paid to be in peak physical shape.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He talks a mean game and tries to be a vocal rah rah guy, but clearly didn't put in the work this offseason. Its a shame because he can be good when in shape. He's the fattest and most out of shape I've ever seen him. He will be eaten alive this year. 

This also concerns me because we are 3 weeks into camp/preseason and that usually trims guys down some, especially linemen still in their 20s. Makes me wonder about the conditioning and tone of camp. 

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Didn’t he load up his cart at Target with candy in his going to camp video? I really think he is.

All you have to do is look at the pics for these articles. And he’s our LT. What a freaking joke. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2023/7/14/23795526/buffalo-bills-lt-dion-dawkins-2023-espys-red-carpet-interview-damar-hamlin-pat-tillman-award

Such a fat slob 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Well I could tell you about pro bowls and PFF grades.  I could tell you about him being a captain on the team but all 3 of those things are subjective.

For me, I've never said the guy is Tyron Smith.  He isn't.  He isn't a lockdown LT because he isn't as athletic as guys like Smith, Stanley, or Trent Williams.  But to say he's replacement level, given his track record in the league, id say that's wrong. 

PFF grades his as an average left tackle.  What else you got?

8 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Ugh this is such a tough one because he's such a great guy off the field and a pillar in the community but yeah his play is just so disappointing at times.  I was really hoping he would come into this season as motivated as ever but so far looking like the same Dion that has struggled heavily the past two seasons :(

Yeah, that’s for sure. 

• Haha (+1) 1

the O-line altogether will be the demise of this team. this isn't 2000 where defense wins championships yet instead of addressing the key positions, the positions that protect the QB and have success in run blocking, they failed to do so. 5 years and the O-line has been the weakest link, they don't have 5 more years to resolve this.  I'm no GM, I don't scout nor make draft selections but even I can see the glaring needs on the offensive Line.

• Agree 1

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

the O-line altogether will be the demise of this team. this isn't 2000 where defense wins championships yet instead of addressing the key positions, the positions that protect the QB and have success in run blocking, they failed to do so. 5 years and the O-line has been the weakest link, they don't have 5 more years to resolve this.  I'm no GM, I don't scout nor make draft selections but even I can see the glaring needs on the offensive Line.

They did address them at guard.  Interior line looked fine last night.  And I’m sorry but I watched every down the offense played the first half, focusing on Brown specifically, and he was OK.  Dawkins sucked last night.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

They did address them at guard.  Interior line looked fine last night.  And I’m sorry but I watched every down the offense played the first half, focusing on Brown specifically, and he was OK.  Dawkins sucked last night.

we'll see. like I said, they don't have 5 years the window is narrowing with a quickness. as for dawkins, seems to be a likeable guy but he does not take his game serious enough otherwise he wouldn't be in his present shape. if he turns out to be the weak link and it affects his game as evident in last nights glorified practice game then they need to find another direction for his position. I'm not going to name call or fat shame him like many have. I'm no choir boy but do have more respect than that. I agree with 29 years that he should get a conditioning coach and take his diet more seriously.

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

we'll see. like I said, they don't have 5 years the window is narrowing with a quickness. as for dawkins, seems to be a likeable guy but he does not take his game serious enough otherwise he wouldn't be in his present shape. if he turns out to be the weak link and it affects his game as evident in last nights glorified practice game then they need to find another direction for his position. I'm not going to name call or fat shame him like many have. I'm no choir boy but do have more respect than that. I agree with 29 years that he should get a conditioning coach and take his diet more seriously.

If they think the Dutch kid can handle it I wonder if they’d trade Dawkins.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

.Dawkins is such a poor reflection on our coaching staff. Ok, I know he has a big contract and would be hard to move on from but it is ridiculous to have this guy show up every year more out of shape.

He shows no leadership skills and comes across as a fat clown.

He holds a premier position and has turned into, at best an average left tackle.

I really am disappointed that something can’t be done about this. Maybe behind the scenes McD is all over him but I doubt it.

I really feel that his attitude and conditioning has negatively affected the entire team.

Don’t worry, this guy keeps McDermott up at night. 

39 minutes ago, Chaos said:

PFF has graded out Dawkins in the 70's (which indicates above average to good play) every season he has been in the league except his rookie year and 2018 (His rookie year he was graded out as a very impressive 83 and in 2018 he was 69.9 which is right at the above average line). 

To my eye test Dawkins every year has been a solid LT. Not an elite player but a better than average starter at a premium position. Now I am concerned that he might be putting on weight as he pushes 30 and he is coming off a bad pre-season game. 

It's three weeks until the regular season, hopefully, it was just a bad game for Dawkins and maybe he can lose a little weight and get in a bit better shape in these upcoming weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dion is a fat tub of goo. Useless. Probably beats his dog.  Pegula is an idiot for allowing him to be on the team. Such a low rent team. The entire city sucks so bad.  I’m leaving for good. 
Go Dion! Go Bills! Go Buffalo!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, 97bills said:

Our entire oline needs upgraded , we’ve spent big money on defense, while our oline is a hope and prayer every year..When we drafted Allen we should’ve put a top tier oline in front of him. I guess we’re going by the colts play book , and we’re going to wait until it’s to late. All that money on defense, and Allen still has to run around for his life and score 35 points… big baller bean lol 

this. So much this... It's actually criminal what they are doing IMO. 

I do think the bills are better than what we saw on saturday though, but what you are saying is basically true and very evident these past years.

Cover 1 has a breakdown of Torrence up. One play that stood out was a play I felt Dawkins got beat on yesterday. The pass rusher nearly got Allen’s arm in a similar way that damaged his UCL last year.

Well cover 1 points out that Allen’s drop was too far. Making it easy for the pass rusher.

These are things the typical fan never sees. We think Dawkins got beat but the QB didn’t help.

• Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

It’s a legit fair question to ask 

“Is this core group still hungry?”

Watch Dawkins on Judon - then watch how Dawkins finished this play at the end

What is that thing Diggs is doing after he catches the ball?? Looks so unfamiliar. 

Still hungry is a good question. But yes, Dawkins super hungry. All the time. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I've always thought Dawkins was decent to average. The poor play of others just masked a lot of his short comings.

42 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If they think the Dutch kid can handle it I wonder if they’d trade Dawkins.

He looks good thus far. 

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Was Dion following a medical doctors advice when he decided to delay taking the Covid vax?

Who?

Asking for a NY Giant friend.

Count down to toxicity…5…4…3…2…1.

Edited by HIT BY SPIKES
  • Eyeroll 1

54 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Great post!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 days before a Playoff game and our starting LT is helping eat 1,000 wings.

I get it, lineman aren’t peeled, but are we shocked Dion’s conditioning is subpar.

This is why I was on Allen (who has since admitted he needs to workout more - K.Brant podcast) and why I question this notion that Gabe is the hardest worker ever when he has zero definition and a flabby gut in a photo taken one week after the season ends. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

It’s a legit fair question to ask 

Is this core group still hungry?”

Watch Dawkins on Judon - then watch how Dawkins finished this play at the end

I would say……maybe Dawkins is TOO hungry! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

What are you taking about ? How would you have any knowledge of this? He would not playing if so. And the Bills are required to inform the league if he has an injury or illness. Due to HIPPA they can’t state the issue, just that he unavailable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.