Allen to Sherfield times two

BillsFan619

We’ve been hearing good things about him. Starting with Dolphin players and fans sad to see him go to JA bragging on him to having a solid camp. What do you guys think Sherfield’s ceiling is with this team?

I know it’s just training camp, but just when you thought you’ve seen all the throws from JA, check this out! Nice grab too.

And check out this one handed grab.

Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 10

• BillsFan619 changed the title to Allen to Sherfield times two

Sherfield is a big body at 220-plus pounds but seems to have better than average speed and reports (I haven't watched him play in games) of good hands. Clips like this inspire hope but even mediocre players make great grabs in camp once in a while.

I'd be very happy if the camp reports aren't another summer illusion but point to what we can expect in the regular season. I think with Diggs, Kincaid, Knox, and Davis, there's not a lot of pressure on Sherfield but I'm hoping he turns into a pleasant surprise as maybe WR 3 (not including Kincaid who is said to be a bigger slot WR than TE).

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

We’ve been hearing good things about him. Starting with Dolphin players and fans sad to see him go to JA bragging on him to having a solid camp. What do you guys think Sherfield’s ceiling is with this team?

I know it’s just training camp, but just when you thought you’ve seen all the throws from JA, check this out! Nice grab too.

Go Bills!

Most impressive thing there is he isnt wearing gloves. THAT is impressive 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go Bills!

honestly no idea what to think or make of this guy yet. He’s had a great camp. Hopefully he fills out that WR3/WR4 gap and gets his numbers. His numbers basically being what he put up last year in Miami. His catch% is not great though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

honestly no idea what to think or make of this guy yet. He’s had a great camp. Hopefully he fills out that WR3/WR4 gap and gets his numbers. His numbers basically being what he put up last year in Miami. His catch% is not great though.

Hopefully he’s gold. Not fool’s. In conversing with a few of Miami fans they are bitter about not retaining him. Even more so that he came to us. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

That throw is absurd. Allen routinely attempts passes that very few QB’s in NFL history could dream of converting.

When a human drives a football on a rope like that, they engage the brachialis, forearm flexor, extensor muscles and ucl.

Suffice it to say, his elbow is healed.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffblue said:

Not overly enthused about Sherfield. He's far from a top 3 option but will probably make some sporadic plays for us 

I think that’s the role they want for him. If he plays his way on the field for more snaps, hey, bonus. He’s not a top 3 option right now…that’s Diggs Gabe and 🤞 Kincaid. Knox and Cook out of the backfield. 

He’s not a prime option but injuries can and will happen - if this guy shows up that’s fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

Don’t know anything about him.

From those two catches, he looks to have soft hands and smooth runner.  Hope he can elevate to become a productive 3rd or 4th.  Hopefully Shakir can fill out opposite him.

Harty and Shorter are probably 5 and 6?  Who else we got! Isabella?

8 hours ago, buffblue said:

Not overly enthused about Sherfield. He's far from a top 3 option but will probably make some sporadic plays for us 

He was the third option in the best receiving corps and most efficient passing offense (with Tua in, or at least close to it) in the league last year 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Sherfield has a real chance to push Gabe for serious playing time. If anyone on the roster is going to take Gabe's spot it would be Sherfield. As others have mentioned, at 6'1" 220lbs he's not a small receiver. Seems a good chance that one of Gabe or Sherfield will be on the roster in 2024 but not both. 

Sherfield could be a be a temporary fill in as we wait for Shorter to come along. As I agree I think Gabe is gone as not sure we can afford him unless he does a Milano below value contract to stay here. 

Looks like between Harty, Shakir and Sherfield there is a lot of quality depth at the #2 and #3 WR spots.   Assuming they can stay healthy and with the addition of Kincaid, I think the offense could have its best year yet under Allen.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Seems like a good player, but how much can we really expect?

Thats not a knock against him.

But you for sure have Diggs, Kincaid, Gabe, Cook, Knox ahead of him for touches.

I think his most valuable assets will be run blocking and special teams

Depends how much playing time he gets, I think 35 catches with 500 or so yards with 4 TDs is realistic if he in 60% or more of our offensive plays (see slot WR). Yet think he's also below Harty in terms of touches.  

I barely knew who Sherfield was when we signed him.  So I read some articles and watched some highlights and came away impressed.   Last year a healthy Sherfield might have been better than a gimpy Gabe.   But this season?  Unless Sherfield wins the slot position, I don't see how he starts.  And even if McD and Dorsey award him the slot position, he'd still be sharing reps there with Shakir, Harty and Kincaid.  It's hard to see Sherfield playing a major role this year if we stay healthy.  

But if someone ahead of him gets hurt, we'll be really glad we have him.  Otherwise, he's going to have trouble competing for targets with folks we're more invested in.  

As SWR mentions, if Sherfield continues to do well, he could be a cheaper-than-Gabe WR#2 option in 2024.  Though Beene and McD both seem to love Davis.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Magox said:

Looks like between Harty, Shakir and Sherfield there is a lot of quality depth at the #2 and #3 WR spots.   Assuming they can stay healthy and with the addition of Kincaid, I think the offense could have its best year yet under Allen.

Agreed.  Although the starting lineup isn't much different; I think the depth of our receiving corps is much better than last year.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Sherfield could be a be a temporary fill in as we wait for Shorter to come along. As I agree I think Gabe is gone as not sure we can afford him unless he does a Milano below value contract to stay here. 

The only situation where I think we afford, Gabe is if he balls out and we back up the Brinks truck to keep him.

Otherwise, I just don’t think the team sees value in paying him 8M to 12M a year for what you can bring to the team.

To start, it would be nice to see Sherfield take all the snaps that Diggs sits out on.  Diggs does pull himself a lot in games.

Lined up with Gabe, it will show if he can do his job without an elite WR opposite of him.

Add those snaps to breaks for Kincaid and 3 WR sets, and he could put up some decent numbers.

I know some fans will disagree, but I'm feeling pretty good so far about the pass catchers Josh has this season.

Edited by ColoradoBills

10 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Sherfield is a big body at 220-plus pounds but seems to have better than average speed and reports (I haven't watched him play in games) of good hands. Clips like this inspire hope but even mediocre players make great grabs in camp once in a while.

I'd be very happy if the camp reports aren't another summer illusion but point to what we can expect in the regular season. I think with Diggs, Kincaid, Knox, and Davis, there's not a lot of pressure on Sherfield but I'm hoping he turns into a pleasant surprise as maybe WR 3 (not including Kincaid who is said to be a bigger slot WR than TE).

Seems to be disagreement on his size. I've read anywhere from 206 to 219.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I really appreciate the optimism but based on these guys’ track record, I am skeptical. It’s like people expecting McKenzie to turn into a star when he averaged like 300 yards a season.

that said, much like Mahomes, we are going to need Allen to turn dime a dozen talents into contributors. And those were some special throws. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I really appreciate the optimism but based on these guys’ track record, I am skeptical. It’s like people expecting McKenzie to turn into a star when he averaged like 300 yards a season.

that said, much like Mahomes, we are going to need Allen to turn dime a dozen talents into contributors. And those were some special throws. 

yea um.. I disagree with you on this one.. Some WR's take time to shine in this league. Many WR are late blossoms.

Last year with Miami, he had over 400 yards and that was BEHIND The best WR duo in the league. He had 30 receptions last year 400 yards. Every new WR from another team that has joined us has had a better career because of the dude named Josh Allen. The dude has come to camp and I have been live to see it in person a few times... The guy is Balling. Cant tell me this guy cant consistently get 400 yards a year under Allen. 

No one is asking this dude to be even in Gabe Davis shoes.. But this guy can run... he can do one thing we have not had a guy that we have not had on this roster since JA was drafted. a 50/50 catcher that catches in 65% on those type of plays. 

There is just a different feel about this guy. To early to jump a gun but if he balls like this in preseason... heh... look out. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What dime a dozen talent had Mahomes turned into contributors?

He has had a lot more to work with than Allen. 

Plenty, if you look at contributors as getting 200-500 yards a season with a high catch rate that pick up some TDs and 1st downs.

Typically, those catches are down the progression line and if the catch rate is high, it results in sustained scoring drives.

These low target guys have to perform well when the ball is thrown to them.  That has been missing with the Bills.

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He has had a lot more to work with than Allen. 

Kelce and Hill are elite talents. Nobody disputes this.

Beyond them? The Chiefs WR roster has been a bunch of nobodies and dime-a-dozens for years.

Mecole Hardman, Marquez Valdes Scantling, Demarcus Robinson, Justin Watson, Byron Pringle, the ghosts of Josh Gordon and Sammy Watkins...

Like...none of those guys are scaring anybody. Journeymen and replacement level players, all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go Bills!

Stupid and stupider.

To the Board members, we are about to be disgustingly spoiled with what's brewing between Josh and some of his receivers.

Fat, sloppy, dirty, rotten, slobberingly spoiled, with three giant scoops of ice cream and a cherry on top to finish it off.

Hopefully a ring.

GO BILLS!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

11 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Yea, it’s tough. There are a lot of guys that can get some highlights in camp at wr that aren’t elite nfl guys. They are all top tier college pass catchers and obviously there is amazing competency in playing catch at that tier of talent. 

doing it on Sunday in January in double coverage at playoff intensity is much different 

I think sherfield will be a good contributor but I’m not expecting him to substantially change the quality of player he has been. 

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

Seems to be disagreement on his size. I've read anywhere from 206 to 219.

Yeah, you're right.

However this bodes well:

"Brown tweeted, “New #Bills WR Trent Sherfield was the highest graded blocking receiver by @PFF last year. He also played about half the Dolphins special teams snaps. Think Jake Kumerow but with maybe a bit more potential as a pass catcher.”

Regardless of weight, he's physical. 

Imo, Sherfield has the “ potential “ to be another Gabe Davis level WR or even better.  Being that I can not see into the future, I or we can’t know with certainty, but at this point the needle is pointing up. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not a chance. Career JAG vs a guy in contract year looking to prove a lot of people wrong in his role as WR2.

The odds of Davis making it through the season without injuring his ankle like he has every season are not good, Sherfield is his very likely his replacement under said circumstance. He has size speed and the hands to do so, will that happen? You and I can’t say with certainty, we can only guess, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.