Marcell Dareus on Dr. Pimple Popper 🤣

Dablitzkrieg

• Dablitzkrieg changed the title to Marcell Dareus on Dr. Pimple Popper 🤣

Saw that last night.  They had a hilarious part where Dr. Lee dared Marcell to get by her, she charged him, and he just lifted her about 7 feet off the ground while she screamed.  Dude got a lipoma just above his left eye from a TFL in 2016 for the Bills.  Dude's only 32.  Hall of Fame talent with Hall of Shame desire.

• Like (+1) 8

2 hours ago, Johnnyp566 said:

One of the most disturbing careers ever. This guy should be still playing and should be on a hall of fame trajectory. It’s a shame. 

What if he doesn't want to destroy his body anymore for your entertainment. What's a shame is people judging others for living their life how they want to. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Johnnyp566 said:

One of the most disturbing careers ever. This guy should be still playing and should be on a hall of fame trajectory. It’s a shame. 

Having thought about this in various sports over the years, I genuinely believe MOST pro athletes are passionate about the game they play.  Some love it so dearly they can't let it go, even when they are too old to play.

But that is NOT everyone.  Some guys are out there for other reasons and they are collecting paychecks.

The NHL is filled with these guys, IMO.  Guys who saw they had the talent to play hockey at a young age, and knew they could make a lot of $$$ being average in a way overpaid league.  But they'd rather be doing something else.

I always think of Dareus when this topic comes up.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a big stretch to say he was a hall of fame talent. Getting into the hall of fame requires supreme talent, longevity, and elite stats for a long time. Sometimes that isn't even enough.

The NFL is littered with failed talents like Dareus. Supremely gifted athletes who don't put in the work, aren't smart enough, or get injured too much to have a great career. Dareus is not unique. There are thousands of other players like that. He is more normal and typical than a guy who puts it all together and has a hall of fame career.

I also think he benefited a lot from playing with a very talented defensive line with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Hall of Fame talent with Hall of Shame desire.

I remember relatively early in his career Kyle Williams said in training camp “he’s a hall of famer if he wants to be” and that was such a red flag that the front office missed prior to his huge contract. I don’t think Beane/McDermott regime makes that same mistake.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I just have missed this part 

“Conclusions: The existence of a pathogenic link between blunt soft tissue trauma and the formation of post-traumatic lipomas is still controversial“

I’m assuming you were meaning that I must have missed the conclusion… Do you take “controversial” to mean there is definitive evidence that trauma does NOT cause them, because I was suggesting that Dareus believing that trauma was responsible for it was not as far fetched as it was being made to seem.

10 minutes ago, transient said:

I’m assuming you were meaning that I must have missed the conclusion… Do you take “controversial” to mean there is definitive evidence that trauma does NOT cause them, because I was suggesting that Dareus believing that trauma was responsible for it was not as far fetched as it was being made to seem.

Nope. I take controversial as evidence that there’s no proof that trauma DOES cause them. Marvell Dareus was also suspended multiple times for missing or testing positive for drug tests. Was arrested for possession of a controlled substance. Has been in an out of rehab. Was involved in misdemeanors regarding bad decisions like racing cars on public roads. I will say that he might have believed that the trauma caused the Lipoma. I’ll just say that he is a poster child for bad decisions, bad ideas, and mistakes. 

I’ve got Lipoma. Have had them removed as well. I guess there’s theory behind it that it could be the result of trauma. I’d say not likely in my experience. But I’m no doctor. 

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Remember when everyone was psychoanalyzing Dareus who was "possibly suicidal"?  By everyone I mean BigCat.

Turns out "rehab" was hanging out with famously clean living Bruce Smith at his "lakefront villa"...

5 hours ago, transient said:

4 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

They've said on the show many times that lipomas and cysts can be caused by trauma.

It's a TV show.

2 hours ago, transient said:

There's no known causal relationship, let alone "50%".  Most have been found to be "pseudolipomas"--subfascial fat that ruptures through fascia due to traumatic injury to the latter.  Also, even the study you cited (read it) found that the mean presentation time from trauma to the appearance of these lipomas in questions is 2 years.  Dareus said his appeared 1 week after his hit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Turns out "rehab" was hanging out with famously clean living Bruce Smith at his "lakefront villa"...

It's a TV show.

There's no known causal relationship, let alone "50%".  Most have been found to be "pseudolipomas"--subfascial fat that ruptures through fascia due to traumatic injury to the latter.  Also, even the study you cited (read it) found that the mean presentation time from trauma to the appearance of these lipomas in questions is 2 years.  Dareus said his appeared 1 week after his hit.

The real question is do you touch STM's on the face or do you send them out

Edited by FireChans

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The real question is do you touch STM's on the face or do you send them out

If it is cutaneous I refer to Derm for Mohs surgery.  If it is cyst or lipoma, I would do it other than around nose or mouth (never seen one there).

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The “at least 50%” was a reference to mrags “100% correct” comment, not in reference to lipomas at all.  

As I responded upthread, the point of the case series, regardless of the specifics, was to suggest Dareus believing this to be the cause wasn’t as ludicrous as it was being made to seem. Conclusive or not, there is a whole body of literature exploring whether there is a causal relationship between trauma and lipomas, and yet somehow Dareus is a fool for believing this might have had something to do with his.

As mrags made clear in his response, it’s about his litany of past sins… not anything to do with the bump on his head at all. 

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Having thought about this in various sports over the years, I genuinely believe MOST pro athletes are passionate about the game they play.  Some love it so dearly they can't let it go, even when they are too old to play.

But that is NOT everyone.  Some guys are out there for other reasons and they are collecting paychecks.

The NHL is filled with these guys, IMO.  Guys who saw they had the talent to play hockey at a young age, and knew they could make a lot of $$$ being average in a way overpaid league.  But they'd rather be doing something else.

I always think of Dareus when this topic comes up.

It's also really tough to play DT at a high level for a decade 

He all prod and just couldn't keep it up ... Yes it' sucked in the moment but that's the reality

Most don't have 12 year all pro careers 

His body , mind and passion all gave Way 

19 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Saw that last night.  They had a hilarious part where Dr. Lee dared Marcell to get by her, she charged him, and he just lifted her about 7 feet off the ground while she screamed.  Dude got a lipoma just above his left eye from a TFL in 2016 for the Bills.  Dude's only 32.  Hall of Fame talent with Hall of Shame desire.

Crazy to think he is out of the NFL..

He just didn't love football enough to do what he needed to do...talented enough to get by with less for a long time tho.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.