What Would Happen if the Bills Cut Damar Hamlin? (Dan Patrick)

wppete

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Why would they? He was an ascending player and was starting to play really well

Cmon. Ascending player and starting to play really well??? I really like him as a person and hope the best for him would love to see him become a star but the truth is he was a liability on the field playing Safetyand was not playing “really well”. He was In There because of injury and a weakness on the Defense. He was a decent player on special teams but not much than that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

Cmon. Ascending player and starting to play really well??? I really like him as a person and hope the best for him would love to see him become a star but the truth is he was a liability on the field playing Safetyand was not playing “really well”. He was In There because of injury and a weakness on the Defense. He was a decent player on special teams but not much than that. 

The Dolphins set him on fire in December

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Good discussion here with Dan Patrick. What do you guys think? I think there is a good chance he doesn’t make the 53 and gets cut. 

Sorry, off topic, but I enjoy Dan Patrick and listen to the show often in the morning. I watched on Peacock for a while, but at some point the morning show on TV became the show from the day before. Anyone else run into that? What’s up? Is there a fix? I don’t see an explanation anywhere. Even updated the app, which may be part of the problem?  🤷‍♂️

I did hear the topic come up and I think Damar will be on the PS at worst. Getting picked up by another team is a real possibility. Somehow, somewhere he will be fine. He’s already The Big Winner! 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is Hamlin or Marlowe. I think Hamlin will get the benefit of the doubt if it is close. If Marlowe clearly beats him out then it is what it is.

I agree with this, but I do think that if this happens, he is offered a spot on the PS.

The dude can hit, hard. But that's about it. He has no sense of the field and should be on the PS. I have wondered about this since the start of camp especially with Rapp in place now. Hamlin - we love ya man but I bet he get's cut.

Nothing will happen. The world understands the reality of the situation. Unfortunate circumstance. I wish him well.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Good discussion here with Dan Patrick. What do you guys think? I think there is a good chance he doesn’t make the 53 and gets cut. 

The Bills drafted him, he has starting experience and he’s a young player who can still improve.  If he’s able to mentally continue getting past what happened I don’t see him getting beat out by by players who couldn’t beat him out before.  He’s not physically unhealthy.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Definitely would NOT be a media "firestorm."  LOL

It would make the news, only b/c of his health scare...then be forgotten about 3 minutes later.

The Bills don't owe him a career.

I don’t think so. I think Florio and some in the media would try to make it a big deal.

9 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

The Bills medical staff saved his life.

Do they owe him more than that?

He’ll be on the team only if he deserves it. 

not only this. But if Damar Hamlin is beat out for a roster spot well that's NFL football. It is a business and he has seen others cut before him. It is what it is. Its NOT Personal

would we all love to see him excel this season and make the squad? Of Course!   But moreso I want the best team period. If he is deemed a member of the final 53 Hallelujah! Practice squad? Could be!

🍿

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, wppete said:

The first few games sure...but like any player who hadn't played much he improved quite a bit over the time he was playing to the point Cover 1 did a video on him and said he was turning into a star...but hey, what do they know.

I love the argument that a 10th CB won’t make a difference. Very obtuse.

Maybe a 10th CB wouldn’t make a difference, but 3 safeties and an extra OL or DL would.

I'm not sure if he makes the team but if cut the Bills should definitely put him in the practice squad if his play hasn’t significantly deteriorated from the “injury”. 

Air quotes on “injury” because it was much more than your run of the mill fooseball injury.

Edited by JDubya76

8 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'd be PISSED if they kept Cam Lewis over Damar!! I'll NEVER forget Vikings game 

What if...and hear me out...what if Cam Lewis actually IMPROVED from last year and earned a spot? 

Why hold such a grudge over that 1 play? Do you hold the same hard feelings for Hyde, Poyer and White who did the same thing with Hail Murray? 

There were about 4 plays that cost the Bills that Vikings game. Josh handles the snap in the end zone and Lewis not knocking it down is a footnote.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

It would be a media firestorm. 

Best case scenario if Damar is in danger of being cut would be to stash him on IR.

It would be story nationally for part of a day, locally for a day or two.

No firestorm.

Sports are pretty high stakes - especially for an NFL team that is still searching for its first title.

There won't be any sentimentality or emotion in whatever decision they make.  I think he makes the team - he's a great tackler, and good depth.  But his skills and how he fits will dictate whether he makes it or not.

It would certainly get a headline if he was cut, but it wouldn't be some scandal or outrage.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Bills would have kept Dean Marlowe but they were very cap strapped so they let him go and brought him back when they had a need.

I think he is competing again Dean Marlowe who is a better special teams player.

They can put Hamlin on PS in 2023 so he can get his insurance if necessary and other teams (i.e. Giants) can choose to pick him up.

honestly, I think it’s a good race between the two and lean towards Marlowe on the 53, with Damar on the PS 

I think all damar can ask for is a fair evaluation where he’s not penalized for the injury but likewise shouldn’t be specially rewarded. He’s either 4th or 5th on the chart and we will see how it shakes out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

It would be a media firestorm. 

Best case scenario if Damar is in danger of being cut would be to stash him on IR.

There absolutely would be a media firestorm but that just speaks to how idiotic and emotional the media and average person is.

My friend was talking yesterday about how people are acting like he’s this amazing player just because of what happened in the Bengals game. They let emotion get in the way of reality. Maybe a poor example because Hamlin seems like an amazing person but just to show how people treat you different after tragedy.  My cousin Bobby is a complete POS in every way imaginable. Had heart issue due to drugs and died after surgery. He was revived and is still continuing strong as a POS but if you call him out on his BS everyone jumps to defend him oh he died in 2002 you need to be nice to him he’s a good person. No, that’s not reality. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Why would they? He was an ascending player and was starting to play really well

He wasn’t playing very well on the first Bengals drive before the incident. He was out of position and scrambling a lot even if the ball didn’t go near him. Took poor angles and bad in coverage pretty much all year. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

So let's look at this from a football perspective.

The Bills currently have 7 safeties on the roster:

Dr Poyer (incumbent starter, age 32)

Mr Hyde (incumbent starter, age 32)

Damar Hamlin (age 25, primary backup last season, played after Hyde injury)

Taylor Rapp (age 25, FA acquisition, former 2nd round pick, 4 years with Rams, won Superbowl with them)

Dean Marlowe (age 31, 7 year vet, backup on Bills last season)

Jared Mayden (age 25, 2020 UDFA, has bounced around SF, Eagles, Bills, Jets PS - was on Bills PS when Hyde was injured)

Zayne Anderson (age 26, PS player signed from KC)

I believe the Bills usually keep 4 safeties on the 53 man roster.  Looking at it purely from the viewpoint of demonstrated talent level and counting Poyer and Hyde "in", Hamlin and Rapp would probably be the next two in terms of demonstrated playing ability. 

Dean Marlowe looked old and slow last season, I don't think he looks faster and younger this season.

So if Hamlin plays at anything close to last year's level, it seems likely that he's still "next man up" along with Rapp.

There's a possibility that Mayden or Anderson outplay Hamlin and Rapp, but I haven't heard any noise from them yet.

There's also the possibility that Hamlin gets hit on a tackle a few times, suffers mental effects, and decides to pursue philanthropy full time.

If the Bills cut Hamlin, it will be for football reasons that will be clear, and will be a 48 yr wonder - no more.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Definitely would NOT be a media "firestorm."  LOL

It would make the news, only b/c of his health scare...then be forgotten about 3 minutes later.

The Bills don't owe him a career.

Cold man, real cold....

25 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

There absolutely would be a media firestorm but that just speaks to how idiotic and emotional the media and average person is.

My friend was talking yesterday about how people are acting like he’s this amazing player just because of what happened in the Bengals game. They let emotion get in the way of reality. Maybe a poor example because Hamlin seems like an amazing person but just to show how people treat you different after tragedy.  My cousin Bobby is a complete POS in every way imaginable. Had heart issue due to drugs and died after surgery. He was revived and is still continuing strong as a POS but if you call him out on his BS everyone jumps to defend him oh he died in 2002 you need to be nice to him he’s a good person. No, that’s not reality. 

He wasn’t playing very well on the first Bengals drive before the incident. He was out of position and scrambling a lot even if the ball didn’t go near him. Took poor angles and bad in coverage pretty much all year. 

On the Bengals drive before the incident, I didn't think any of the Bills D was playing well. 

We can all tell Hamlin was in position to make the tackle when he got the hit that stopped his heart.

Isn't it just amazing how Hamlin started 13 games and was 3rd on the Bills in combined tackles,  4th in solo tackles - while taking poor angles and being bad in coverage all year?  And Wow - a Safety who takes poor angles and is bad in coverage, playing with another Safety who had multiple injuries or with a STer 3rd string safety, and yet somehow the defense was #2 in Points Against.

Seems very odd - almost miraculous

• Like (+1) 1

I've been thinking about this scenario for a long time now, and if his play doesn't warrant a roster spot, it does put the Bills in a difficult position.

Football-wise, he made the team last year and started most of the season due to injury. When Hyde went to IR, it's not like the team was like "we better go find somebody." I would say that makes him a legitimate backup for this team. I would also say for his draft position and salary, he gave the team terrific value last season. What is hard to measure or know, is if the incident affected his play in any negative way we don't know about. If he's not playing as well as before, then there's the question of TIME. Does he simply need more time? Should the team give him more time? etc.... tricky tricky.

All said, I hope he plays better than ever and makes the team.

Edited by CheshireCT
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Nothing would happen. He's a career backup safety. At its' core, he got injured just like thousands of other players that get hurt and can't play at the NFL level again. He was not playing at a very high level before he got hurt. He was vastly better than Johnson for sure. 

He goes on with life hopefully with some money saved and a healthy mind and body. 

All that said he still seems like the 4th best safety on the team. What might get him cut is if they keep an extra smurf linebacker and use him as a big nickel instead of a fourth safety. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is Hamlin or Marlowe. I think Hamlin will get the benefit of the doubt if it is close. If Marlowe clearly beats him out then it is what it is.

I think at this point in their careers Hamlin is the better player, all things being equal.  However, Hamlin is going to have a struggle mentally to ramp up to full contact and there is no guarantee that he will be able to play at his best initially, or maybe ever.  I am rooting for him, but there would certainly be no shame in it if he could not get back.  In any event, I do not expect any separation from the Bills to be contentious, not that the media would not try to make it so.

Just now, FLFan said:

I think at this point in their careers Hamlin is the better player, all things being equal.  However, Hamlin is going to have a struggle mentally to ramp up to full contact and there is no guarantee that he will be able to play at his best initially, or maybe ever.  I am rooting for him, but there would certainly be no shame in it if he could not get back.  In any event, I do not expect any separation from the Bills to be contentious, not that the media would not try to make it so.

Maybe. I think Marlowe is a tad underrated by a lot of fans. I think it is pretty close.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

On the Bengals drive before the incident, I didn't think any of the Bills D was playing well. 

We can all tell Hamlin was in position to make the tackle when he got the hit that stopped his heart.

Isn't it just amazing how Hamlin started 13 games and was 3rd on the Bills in combined tackles,  4th in solo tackles - while taking poor angles and being bad in coverage all year?  And Wow - a Safety who takes poor angles and is bad in coverage, playing with another Safety who had multiple injuries or with a STer 3rd string safety, and yet somehow the defense was #2 in Points Against.

Seems very odd - almost miraculous

Yeah, but cousin Bobby is a POS. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe. I think Marlowe is a tad underrated by a lot of fans. I think it is pretty close.

Count me among the under-raters.

There was a reason why the Bills let Marlowe move on in 2021 FA.

There's also a reason why the Lions gave him a 2 yr contract but moved on after a year,

And why the Falcons gave him a 1 yr contract in 2022 FA but were willing to trade him in November for a 7th.

Marlow is 31.  Hamlin is 25.  If it's close, Youth Wins

It's a very valid point that we don't know how Hamlin will react when it's for-real tackling, or whether he's able to be back to his pre-incident form.

I could be totally off the wall but I'm not sure the competition is between Hamlin and Marlowe.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree with those who thought he played poorly.  I watched him very closely.  Did he have a lot of tackles?  Yes.  But I noticed a lot of them were after guys got past him.  But, he has a lot of things going for him:  

1. Young
  2. Cheap
  3. I don't think he has ever been on the PS.  Legitimate backup 2 years running right?
  4. Poyer and Hyde are no spring chickens and have been injured.
  5. The Cinderella Story sells seats and merch.  NFL might put pressure on the Bills to keep him in order to keep TV happy. 
  6. But most of all - Kim is coming back from cardiac arrest and resuscitation as well.  Terry might think twice about letting him get cut.  
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Count me among the under-raters.

There was a reason why the Bills let Marlowe move on in 2021 FA.

There's also a reason why the Lions gave him a 2 yr contract but moved on after a year,

And why the Falcons gave him a 1 yr contract in 2022 FA but were willing to trade him in November for a 7th.

Marlow is 31.  Hamlin is 25.  If it's close, Youth Wins

It's a very valid point that we don't know how Hamlin will react when it's for-real tackling, or whether he's able to be back to his pre-incident form.

I could be totally off the wall but I'm not sure the competition is between Hamlin and Marlowe.

I am not arguing Marlowe is any sort of stud. He is a backup level safety. The Lions gave him a deal to be a starter and soon realised he isn't that and moved on.

I just think Hamlin wasn't actually brilliant before what happened happened. He also to me looked like a backup doing a starter's job because that is what he is. 

I agree if it is close Hamlin will get the edge. And that is what I expect to happen. But I do think that is the competition for spot #4. 

I feel bad for what happened to the kid but this stuff (heart attacks) happen everyday to people, young and old and they are owed nothing. If he deserves it so be it. But I'm sure I'm not the only one here who was screaming at the TV whenever he was out of position or took a horrible angle to the ball carrier that ran by him. 

IMO he's not very good and is a liability when he's on the field. I wouldn't cut a potential difference maker (Morris, Isabella, Sternberger or take your pick) for a Safety I hope doesn't see the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I feel bad for what happened to the kid but this stuff (heart attacks) happen everyday to people, young and old and they are owed nothing. If he deserves it so be it. But I'm sure I'm not the only one here who was screaming at the TV whenever he was out of position or took a horrible angle to the ball carrier that ran by him. 

IMO he's not very good and is a liability when he's on the field. I wouldn't cut a potential difference maker (Morris, Isabella, Sternberger or take your pick) for a Safety I hope doesn't see the field. 

They are going to need 4 safeties on the team…

The position does trouble me a little heading into this season given Poyer and particularly Hyde’s injury woes last season ..

The other players you mentioned won’t enter into the thought process around keeping Hamlin …

Hamlin ain’t great but I think he has the edge on Marlow…who is the player he is competing against …

I would be happy if neither of them saw action outside of garbage time and Special Teams next year ..

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Wow… normally you can’t wait to usher any player 29 or older out the door … your opinion of Hamlin must be low

Edited by Aussie Joe

24 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They are going to need 4 safeties on the team…

The position does trouble me a little heading into this season given Poyer and particularly Hyde’s injury woes last season ..

The other players you mentioned won’t enter into the thought process around keeping Hamlin …

Hamlin ain’t great but I think he has the edge on Marlow…who is the player he is competing against …

I would be happy if neither of them saw action outside of garbage time and Special Teams next year ..

Is Jaquan Johnson still on the team? As long as he and Cam Lewis are gone I'll be ok.😋

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.