New England Patriots install America's largest outdoor stadium scoreboard - will affect wind pattern

chongli

Didn't see this posted.

From the article:

"Patriots coach Bill Belichick says the giant new video board installed at Gillette Stadium this offseason could affect the game on the field.

The video board is 370 feet wide and 60 feet high and stretches across the north end zone, which had previously been open. Belichick said today that he wants his kickers to get plenty of practice inside the stadium to get a feel for how much the new board will change wind patterns.

“We saw a lot of that in the spring, so we can’t control that, whatever it is, it is. It’s a learning experience for these guys. We’ll kick in the stadium when we can. Obviously those conditions have changed a little bit, so we’ll see how that goes. It’s a work in progress,” Belichick said.

Belichick said it’s clear that kicking in the stadium is different now.

“We were in there this spring a little bit,” Belichick said. “Yeah, there’s some changes. Yeah.”

The Patriots’ new video board is the largest at any outdoor stadium in America."

[end]

I hope this doesn't' give the Pats too much of an advantage. They will know how the wind affect kicks, while other teams will have to learn. I have this nagging suspicion that Belichick is up to something, lol.

[Also, thanks to @Bubba Gump for the title suggestion!]

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 4

Hey, another way to alter the game "legally". They need every advantage they can get and will stop at nothing to do it. 

Should also add "outdoor" to the title. It's a bit misleading. There are bigger scoreboards, Dallas maybe and def So-Fi.

• Agree 1

• chongli changed the title to New England Patriots install America's largest outdoor stadium scoreboard - will affect wind pattern
2 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Hey, another way to alter the game "legally". They need every advantage they can get and will stop at nothing to do it. 

Should also add "outdoor" to the title. It's a bit misleading. There are bigger scoreboards, Dallas maybe and def So-Fi.

Good catch! Corrected.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

How big of a scoreboard is needed to write “0”?

Mac Jones is still their QB after all.

You know they won't be showing the replays of McDorkle kicking players in the nuts or trying to twist their ankles. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

imagine the kicking advantage we are buying with a new stadium

A little side eye to this, as obviously the team was getting the board to engage fans now that the stadium experience is sagging with the team underperforming. That said, May as well make the most of it and get in visiting kickers heads 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

SoFi is not an indoor/enclosed stadium.  It has a canopy.  It is open on the sides.

• Like (+1) 1

This is PFT quoting a football HC as saying the scoreboard, in his opinion, could affect the wind. 

Naturally, PFT headlines:

"Gillette Stadium's giant new video board changes wind patterns, affects kickers."

right on cue, everyone bites.

• Haha (+1) 2

Of course this will impact the wind to a degree...they have basically chosen to wall in an open end of the stadium and cover it with a giant score board.

This is the North end prior as it was...look how open it is.

I never liked this stadium, architecturally.

GettyImages-1235944501.jpg?v=867e41af7e8

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

As Mark Sanchez once said on TV, "I would never say they cheat.  I would say that they're relentless in their search for a competitive advantage"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

As Mark Sanchez once said on TV, "I would never say they cheat.  I would say that they're relentless in their search for a competitive advantage"

HC announcing that the giant TV will mess with opposing kickers isn't the best way to take advantage of hypothetical architectural/meteorological manipulation.

Who does he think he is?! 🤨

Sir August de Wynter?

image.thumb.jpeg.7431bc5008eb30cd0bf283127e1f5acf.jpeg

4 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

He's trying to recreate the weather conditions in Buffalo from a couple years ago.  Their game plans would only involve Mac n cheese attempting 3 passes

:worthy:      MJ🏈10   

• Haha (+1) 2

Wait till one of those Nor'easters comes through and knocks down that scoreboard. Or when was the last time NE got hit bye a hurricane.  Of course when the stadium is empty.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

the biggest thing that needs to be fixed is miami stadium. Miami should be told to have AC areas on the sidelines and not just fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

the biggest thing that needs to be fixed is miami stadium. Miami should be told to have AC areas on the sidelines and not just fans.

With all the Bills Mafia in attendance there I thought they didn't have any fans!

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, chongli said:

Agreed.

Elxbb9uX0AcziZD.jpg:large

Wonder if there are any type of cooling garments they could wear under pads in such high Temps to keep p layers cooled to a safe body temp as they are exerting such energy.

I'd think even simply adding some  areas in current unis to place strategically located slots they can have players toss in some very light ice packs they could just swap them out as they melt throw the melted ones into a freezer in locker room. Don't even know whether a player would need to get approval to alter their undershirts that way if they have to play Miami in extreme heat.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Wonder if there are any type of cooling garments they could wear under pads in such high Temps to keep p layers cooled to a safe body temp as they are exerting such energy.

Well, a quick search yields Mission Athletecare:

https://www.patriots.com/news/cool-ing-technology-to-help-nfl-beat-the-heat-229741

"Founded in 2009 by elite athletes, Mission Athletecare has already gained attention more for its innovative cooling products, which include special towels, arm sleeves and helmet liners, than for the host of star athletes that promote the upstart, including NFL stars Drew Brees and Reggie Bush, NHL All-Star John Tavares, Tennis Icon Serena Williams and NBA Big Man Dwayne Wade.

The company claims its Eduracool "instant cooling" technology uses a chemical-free cooling material for textiles with three key attributes – wicking, moisture circulation and regulated evaporation - that it says together can reduce a fabric's temperature by up to 30 degrees."

But I'm not sure if these are NFL legal, despite endorsements by its retired athletes. I am sure there is a lot more out there.

8 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

So the patriots are buying the whole wind confusion thing haha

The whole saga of the Bills new stadium with wind confusing renderings and  architecture was all an elaborate long game to get in Bellicheat's head and lose focus worrying about kickers.  4d chess

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, chongli said:

Well, a quick search yields Mission Athletecare:

https://www.patriots.com/news/cool-ing-technology-to-help-nfl-beat-the-heat-229741

"Founded in 2009 by elite athletes, Mission Athletecare has already gained attention more for its innovative cooling products, which include special towels, arm sleeves and helmet liners, than for the host of star athletes that promote the upstart, including NFL stars Drew Brees and Reggie Bush, NHL All-Star John Tavares, Tennis Icon Serena Williams and NBA Big Man Dwayne Wade.

The company claims its Eduracool "instant cooling" technology uses a chemical-free cooling material for textiles with three key attributes – wicking, moisture circulation and regulated evaporation - that it says together can reduce a fabric's temperature by up to 30 degrees."

But I'm not sure if these are NFL legal, despite endorsements by its retired athletes. I am sure there is a lot more out there.

I'm thinking maybe individual players just need to jerryrig something for themselves in such conditions.  Don't know how much say the league has in what clothing they wear under their pads.  I doubt they have any say.  

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, chongli said:

Ironic we're worried about the NFL approving cooling aids yet would allow a situation where intolerable temperatures would have to be endured.  Most states have labour laws prohibiting or limiting employees from working in such conditions.

• Like (+1) 1

The lead singer of my band is from Boston and is a die-hard Patriots fan. Unlike the majority of Pats fans, he doesn't rub his teams success in us Bills fan faces. 

When I asked him about this, he was aware of Bellichek's comments, and he said "That's just coach being coach. Won't affect nothing". 

So move along. Nothing to see here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.