Bills expected to sign Darrynton Evans, RB. (now signed to 1 year deal)

BuffaloBillyG

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There are some for sure. But not likely at the price Beane's looking to spend. Would be a good year for some UDFA RB to impress, that's for sure.

This reminds me of my childhood. We never had a lot of money so my parents always ended up buying me the knock-offs. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I'm kind of shocked it's not Taiwan Jones

But I'm ok with it. Hines was likely to play a very small role outside of returning, and I would guess now we just take the ball at the 25 whenever possible this year. 

Idk. Could have sworn there was an article with multiple sources saying Hines would be way more involved on O. I mean he was ridiculously explosive but certainly behind Cook and Harris , was hoping for some Cook/Hines backfields 

Great chess piece and weapon.  Sucks.. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yeah, probably would have used him as 'Mr. Inactive List, 2023-24'.  
Dorsey: "But can he go long?!"

Nooo. At the very least he'd be a minimal part of the O and our main KR.. His speed and explosiveness had no business not being involved in the o on a regular basis 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Liked him coming out but has struggled to find a home. Some upside there.

Had a couple injuries I think.

24 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Idk. Could have sworn there was an article with multiple sources saying Hines would be way more involved on O. I mean he was ridiculously explosive but certainly behind Cook and Harris , was hoping for some Cook/Hines backfields 

Great chess piece and weapon.  Sucks.. 

I don't know about "great". Hasnt done much offensively for the Bills and his Bills career might be over.

3 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Had a couple injuries I think.

I don't know about "great". Hasnt done much offensively for the Bills and his Bills career might be over.

Ya but he was only in a handful of games 

His KR ability was phenomenal and idk why he wouldn't have been more involved given his playmaking ability 

This is the exact type of signing you make to replace Nyheim Hines. I couldn't roll my eyes harder at people saying we should get Saquon or Dalvin when the injury was announced. That would have been like saying "we need Hopkins now" if Trent Sherfield went down. We weren't going to move Cook or Harris down the pecking order because Nyheim Hines got hurt.

Evans was someone Beane liked a lot heading into the 2020 Draft. We visited with him multiple times Pre-Draft. I was honestly a little surprised that we drafted Zack Moss instead. Evans was the next RB off the board. With Hines going down, I knew Beane would be looking for a similar style RB - as the Speed, Return, and Catch Ability is what brought Hines here.

Evans was a converted WR with 4.41 speed. A former 3rd Round Pick who just turned 25. He had some injuries and never really got much of a shot in Tennessee. He's an intriguing prospect and I wouldn't be shocked to see him make the 53 in front of Murray, if he seizes this opportunity to reclaim his career.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There are some for sure. But not likely at the price Beane's looking to spend. Would be a good year for some UDFA RB to impress, that's for sure.

I like the Fresno State kid. I thought he was worth a day 3 pick. Given there is an opening he might have a shot to make the team.

51 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya but he was only in a handful of games 

His KR ability was phenomenal and idk why he wouldn't have been more involved given his playmaking ability 

Sorry for any confusion....two of my comments were merged; one about Evans,one about Hines.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Let me guess … “He could be a real threat in the league … or he could end up not being very good. Mark my words!”

Nah- he just thought he had some upside as potential day 3 pick (that was taken on day 2).  

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I like the Fresno State kid. I thought he was worth a day 3 pick. Given there is an opening he might have a shot to make the team.

The Mims kid? Haven't really looked into him much. Guess I know my homework assignment for tonight🤣

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That's him. Jordan Mims. His name escaped me for a moment.

Just watched a bit of highlights. Not fast, but shifty/slick running style. Actually reminded me a bit of Blacksheer. Seems like a lack of break away speed. Real nose for the end and finishes off runs well. Guy looks like a hitman inside the 5. Haven't seen him as a receiver yet.

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Just watched a bit of highlights. Not fast, but shifty/slick running style. Actually reminded me a bit of Blacksheer. Seems like a lack of break away speed. Real nose for the end and finishes off runs well. Guy looks like a hitman inside the 5. Haven't seen him as a receiver yet.

He reminds me a lot of Singletary.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

? who are you speaking of?  (edit: nvm, I saw you answered.  Jordan Mims, our UDFA RB)

-----------------

Darrynton Evans draft profile.  5'10" 203 lb

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darrynton-evans/32004556-4111-6537-4adc-98552053123e

Like many Appalachian State players before him, Evans has outplayed his two-star recruiting ranking. He was named Sun Belt Conference Offensive Player of the Year in 2019 after ranking in the top 10 nationally with 1,480 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns on 255 carries (5.8 per). He also caught 21 passes for 198 yards and five scores in 14 starts. He was named the Most Valuable Player of the SBC Championship Game and New Orleans Bowl. Evans was a first-team all-conference pick as a sophomore, as well, starting eight of 13 games played and racking up 1,187 rushing yards (179 carries, 6.6 per, seven TDs; also 12-87-7.2, one TD receiving). The Oak Hill, Florida, native contributed on offense as a freshman (48-217-4.5) and then had to redshirt the 2017 season due to a knee injury. Evans was a strong kickoff returner during his career (56-1,439-25.7 in three years), housing one return for a touchdown each seas

Slashing outside-zone runner with glide in his stride and ability to run with elusiveness and creativity. Evans is a little undersized and might be viewed as a change-of-pace option, but he appears to have the three-down skill set to handle committee carries. He can run with patience, but has the loose hips and agile feet to plant-and-go in a hurry. He sees the field and does a nice job of setting up and eluding tacklers with lateral cuts or stacked moves. While he's confident in space, Evans lacks the commitment and finishing force to make a living inside the tackles. His third-down and kick-return versatility increases the likelihood that Evans will hear his name called in the middle rounds with a chance to become a solid RB2.

The part that catches my eye "why this guy?" is that he returned kickoffs in college, and also returned some kickoffs for Tennessee. 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There's one that got away... 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.