Bills to work out TE Jace Sternberger (now signed to 1 year deal)

JohnNord

I really like this move for Buffalo.  I became aware of Sternberger in the USFL because he was having such a great year.  

IMO it’s worth trying him out.  Who knows if they sign him, he may have a shot to compete at TE with Quinton Morris who hasn’t shown to be a great blocker

• Like (+1) 8

• JohnNord changed the title to Bills to work out USFL Standout TE Jace Sternberger on Monday
24 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Another camp body to push Morris. Can't hate that. 

That was my first impression but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him beat out Morris.  Morris did some good things as a receiver at TE but he was a terrible blocker.  

I wouldn’t put money on it but I think Jace has a chance

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He was in the good TE class of 2019, from which the Bills drafted Dawson Knox. 

From memory I think they had Sternberger in for a pre-draft visit that spring. They looked hard at that group and were determined to draft one. They took a flier on Kahale Warring a couple of years ago on the practice squad as well. He was the same, came out of that class, went in the 3rd, flamed out in Houston. 

So I suspect this is another guy who has been on their radar a while.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, stuvian said:

I have always liked Tight ends named Jace

I hear he pronounces it “ Jackie” 

🤣

• Haha (+1) 2

An upgrade from Morris.  His college scouting report says he as OK speed though he's not fast.  He runs routes like a receiver, is a bit undersized and not a great blocker.  He's not an awful blocker, but it's an area where he needed to improve.  He's quality depth though.  I imagine he could start in a pinch and not be an embarrassment.

I’m actually pretty pumped about this signing, it’s a lot of IFs, but if he’s healthy and has his head on right, he could be the #2 TE behind Knox, send him and Knox on the line and Kincaid in the slot, now you have some size to deal with out there.  To me, it would make a ton of sense for the Bills to pivot their game inside the 20’s which is where they really struggled (relative term), vs between the 20s where there’s more space to operate.  Diggs is the only proven guy that can separate in tight quarters and he shouldn’t be the biggest threat to teams when you get to the redzone, no offense to him, he’s small.  Having potentially 4 guys out there over 6’2” if you roll 3 TEs, all capable of running routes and Davis, with Diggs working the soft spot, it’s going to be a mismatch somewhere or teams match it and open up opportunities to run, throw to RBs etc.   I’d love to see something along the lines of what the Pats used to do with Gronk and Hernandez and let Kincaid play a slot role, that would be something else.  With teams going to a smaller/faster D, you should look to pivot towards size and power to punish them for it.  Let’s hope that’s part of the plan at least. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I’m actually pretty pumped about this signing, it’s a lot of IFs, but if he’s healthy and has his head on right, he could be the #2 TE behind Knox, send him and Knox on the line and Kincaid in the slot, now you have some size to deal with out there.  To me, it would make a ton of sense for the Bills to pivot their game inside the 20’s which is where they really struggled (relative term), vs between the 20s where there’s more space to operate.  Diggs is the only proven guy that can separate in tight quarters and he shouldn’t be the biggest threat to teams when you get to the redzone, no offense to him, he’s small.  Having potentially 4 guys out there over 6’2” if you roll 3 TEs, all capable of running routes and Davis, with Diggs working the soft spot, it’s going to be a mismatch somewhere or teams match it and open up opportunities to run, throw to RBs etc.   I’d love to see something along the lines of what the Pats used to do with Gronk and Hernandez and let Kincaid play a slot role, that would be something else.  With teams going to a smaller/faster D, you should look to pivot towards size and power to punish them for it.  Let’s hope that’s part of the plan at least. 

This is a creative look at Sternberger.   Big Al said this:

7 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

His college scouting report says he as OK speed though he's not fast.  He runs routes like a receiver, is a bit undersized and not a great blocker.  He's not an awful blocker, but

Sternberger went ahead of Knox in the draft, and Big Al's description actually sounds a lot like Knox.   OK speed, OK route runner, undersized for a blocker, but that's undersized for a traditional tight end.  

Take another Knox and put him on the field just as DC said, in the red zone, and you've got something.   Diggs is a guy who separates like Beasley, and he's valuable, but teams were taking him away in the red zone, the Bills didn't other have good options.  I like Davis, but he hasn't been effective in the red zone.  Knox has.  Kincaid should be.   If there's a Knox clone on the field, that's four legitimate short-route targets, and it should be a simple thing for Allen to find the mismatch and go there.   Knox. Sternberger, and Kincaid all running tight curls, some small back will be boxed out by a big body.  

• Like (+1) 5

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I wonder if they might consider him as a practice squad stash especially if we plan on running more 12 personnel this year

Well if they DO run more 12 what good does he do on the practice squad? Looks like he provides quality competition for guys like Morris.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is a creative look at Sternberger.   Big Al said this:

Sternberger went ahead of Knox in the draft, and Big Al's description actually sounds a lot like Knox.   OK speed, OK route runner, undersized for a blocker, but that's undersized for a traditional tight end.  

Take another Knox and put him on the field just as DC said, in the red zone, and you've got something.   Diggs is a guy who separates like Beasley, and he's valuable, but teams were taking him away in the red zone, the Bills didn't other have good options.  I like Davis, but he hasn't been effective in the red zone.  Knox has.  Kincaid should be.   If there's a Knox clone on the field, that's four legitimate short-route targets, and it should be a simple thing for Allen to find the mismatch and go there.   Knox. Sternberger, and Kincaid all running tight curls, some small back will be boxed out by a big body.  

I'm a big fan of Knox.  I think this young man has much better hands.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

An upgrade from Morris.  His college scouting report says he as OK speed though he's not fast.  He runs routes like a receiver, is a bit undersized and not a great blocker.  He's not an awful blocker, but it's an area where he needed to improve.  He's quality depth though.  I imagine he could start in a pinch and not be an embarrassment.

I feel like people underestimate Morris. If you want to see great college tape, Morris has a ton of it. I feel like he has major potential.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Had concussions as a rookie and landed a substance abuse suspension after falling asleep behind the wheel after drinking while on anti-depressants. Wouldn't be shocked if the concussions and anti-depressants were connected. If he's gotten healthy he could be a contributor.

Did he happen to be in Virginia Beach at a stoplight when he fell asleep behind the wheel 😂

Edited by Bubba Gump

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

I'm a big fan of Knox.  I think this young man has much better hands.

riiiight.. 🤦‍♂️ Both were 3rd Round picks, 1 stuck with his team, became a starter in his 2nd season and is now recognized as a critical player on a perennial Playoff team. The other was cut, couldn’t catch on with another NFL club, couldn’t catch on with a CFL team and is now bouncing around on scrap heaps. But he’s a better receiver.

Please keep your insane humor coming. We all need numerous interludes.

Anyway, I like this signing. Even figuring McDermott to continue with his maddening penchant to sit rookies, Kincaid represents a significant departure from our Offense, especially with letting Beasley walk for a 2nd time. 2 TE sets are a growing trend but must be manned by players with excellent skill sets. The premise alone is an advantage to nickel coverage.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

This is a move I like. He has a legit shot at making the 53 if we keep 3 tight ends. 

Based on BB’s comments about Dalton playing the “Big Slot”, I expect 3 TEs on the roster. Possibly 4 if they decide FB isn’t in the plans. 🤷‍♂️ 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.