Dawson Knox, 10th Best TE in NFL

hondo in seattle

ESPN polled a bunch of execs, coaches, and players and came up with this Top Ten list for TEs:

1.  Travis Kelce – Kansas City Chiefs

2.  George Kittle – San Francisco 49ers

3.  Mark Andrews – Baltimore Ravens

4.  Dallas Goedert – Philadelphia Eagles

5.  Darren Waller – Las Vegas Raiders

6.  T.J. Hockenson – Minnesota Vikings

7.  Kyle Pitts – Atlanta Falcons

8.  Evan Engram – New York Giants

9.  Pat Freiermuth – Pittsburgh Steelers

10. Dawson Knox – Buffalo Bills

I'm just a bit surprised to see Dawson squeak into the top ten.  

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/best-tight-ends-in-nfl-ranked-by-executives-players-scouts-and-coaches-full-list-here/ar-AA1dOmSj?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5c96caba93df4f4999185e02244fd04c&ei=38

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

ESPN polled a bunch of execs, coaches, and players and came up with this Top Ten list for TEs:

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/best-tight-ends-in-nfl-ranked-by-executives-players-scouts-and-coaches-full-list-here/ar-AA1dOmSj?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5c96caba93df4f4999185e02244fd04c&ei=38

I think he's better than engram but otherwise spot on

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

QB throwing ball to TE factors into list. Move Dawson Knox to somewhere else, say New England, and his rating goes down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Does even Dawson believe this?

10th isnt bad, in my opinion.  He may be a couple of positions higher, as this list is subjective. 

Waller can't stay healthy, so I don't put much stock in him being on the list at all.

There will be a few risers this year as well.  I talked about it in another thread, but keep your eye on Chigoziem Okonkwo in Tennessee.  He is crazy talented!

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

I'd challenge you to name #11😎

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Why did I think engram was with the jags

And it still has waller with the raiders. What's going on here

Engram got traded to Jax last year. Or signed as a FA and had his best year yet

Waller was traded to Giants this year 

As Beane likes to say, regarding Knox, he is a TD maker for sure. 

Another interesting list

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/06/02/top-10-tight-ends-season-league-kelce-kittle#gid=ci02c0b8d590002755&pid=10

Travis Kelce, Chiefs

George Kittle, 49ers

Mark Andrews, Ravens

Darren Waller, Giants

Dallas Goedert, Eagles

T.J. Hockenson, Vikings

Kyle Pitts, Falcons

Dalton Schultz, Texans

Pat Freiermuth, Steelers

David Njoku, Browns

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Engram got traded to Jax last year. Or signed as a FA and had his best year yet

Waller was traded to Giants this year 

As Beane likes to say, regarding Knox, he is a TD maker for sure. 

Knox is pretty good and solid. He is getting paid a lot so that kind of makes many think he should be more productive. Last year was pretty hard to gauge. He was either kind of bad or non existent to very good. I remember him getting very few targets early on and then went ob a nice TD catching spree. I think many of the issues might have been coaching, schemes, etc..

Edited by newcam2012

36 minutes ago, boyst said:

Njoku is better. So is probably another 3-4 I could spend a few minutes thinking about. Maybe fent?

Njoku is better. So is probably another 3-4 I could spend a few minutes thinking about. Maybe fent?

There's not a ton of daylight between Knox and Hunter Henry tbh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Knox is pretty good and solid. He is getting paid a lot so that kind of makes many think he should be more productive. Last year was pretty hard to gauge. He was either kind of bad or non existent to very good. I remember him getting very few targets early on and then went ob a nice TD catching spree. I think many of the issues might have been coaching, schemes, etc..

Ya he started slow, came on very strong. He had a 5-6 game consecutive TD streak...

I have a theory that they were very worried about Browns injury the first few weeks and had Knox blocking way more and once they felt more comfy with Brown , Knox became a major weapon in the pass game 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd put him above Hock, Friermuth and Engram.  Maybe Waller if he's washed up.

Why are people saying Waller is washed up? He is severely injury prone no doubt. He suffered a grade 2 thigh/hamstring injury and missed basically the whole season. I'm no doctor but I would think that's plenty of time to recover. I don't get the washed up talk. 

Is Von washed up? 

Edited by newcam2012

He can hang with Freiermuth and Engram, I'm cool with it. Might even bump him up to 9. 

Trying to think if they missed anybody but this is pretty accurate. I don't know if I'm completely buying that Goedert is one of the best in the league, or perhaps the position has dipped in quality a bit compared to even 5-10 years ago.

4 hours ago, boyst said:

Njoku thrived a bit as Baker's outlet and seemed to have a knack for big plays but it feels like people have been waiting for him to arrive for 6 years now. He's almost identical statistically to Knox except Dawson has a much better nose for the endzone.

16 minutes ago, Nelius said:

He can hang with Freiermuth and Engram, I'm cool with it. Might even bump him up to 9. 

Trying to think if they missed anybody but this is pretty accurate. I don't know if I'm completely buying that Goedert is one of the best in the league, or perhaps the position has dipped in quality a bit compared to even 5-10 years ago.

Njoku thrived a bit as Baker's outlet and seemed to have a knack for big plays but it feels like people have been waiting for him to arrive for 6 years now. He's almost identical statistically to Knox except Dawson has a much better nose for the endzone.

Goedert is really good imo

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'd have him above Engram and Friermuth personally. But as a top goes that is a good list. 

The reason more people don't think Dawson Knox is a top 10 tight end is much more about the Bills than it is about Dawson Knox.

8 hours ago, boyst said:

Njoku is a more talented receiver. He can't block for toffee.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Why are people saying Waller is washed up? He is severely injury prone no doubt. He suffered a grade 2 thigh/hamstring injury and missed basically the whole season. I'm no doctor but I would think that's plenty of time to recover. I don't get the washed up talk. 

Is Von washed up? 

My guess is it is because he hasn't been properly healthy for two seasons now. He was constantly nicked up in 2021 and then the 2022 injury he was "1 week away" for about 5 weeks and then even when he did get back on the field at the end of the year was not moving anything like smoothly. 

I am open to the idea that a change if scenary, fresh S&C regime, and a good offseason and you could see the old Darren Waller again. But I also think it is possible his body is just breaking down and he has another injury hit year.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Where would Gabe Davis ranked for WR2?

Bottom 3rd for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.