McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

13 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

Yep. Coward. Jelly fish. Grow a backbone, call people racist then hide, you'll be safe .

I don't have to hide, the world already knows what you are based on you what you post and assuredly by the way you act in real life.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

just consider the risk in what you guys are saying. We have a combo that has turned this franchise around and now has us in contention every year. Free agents want to come here, and we are re-signing our own guys. Not only that, they have already spawned their own successful GM and coaching tree. 

And instead you would prefer to roll the dice to get probably some unknown commodities at GM and HC, and head back onto the carousel of doom we experienced for like 25 years. 

people’s expectations are so skewed. All you can do is build a team into one that can make the playoffs and be in contention to win. When you get there, it is a total crap shoot and all about matchups, player execution, and good health as to which teams ultimately win the SB. 

"When you get there, it is a total crap shoot and all about matchups, player execution, and good health as to which teams ultimately win the SB."

Partly true but definelty doesn't tell the whole story. 

Coaching, play calling, schemes, game time adjustments, etc.. all factor in as well. 

I'd ask you to take a hard look at the McD playoff games track record for his tenure as a Bill's HC. 

Edited by newcam2012

1 hour ago, Radar said:

I've been around since the AFL days. Drought actually makes me enjoy this team more. Those Super Bowl losses were tough but I still got to watch a great team. I like football for the game . I would rather have consistent winner year to year than just one year run to the championship. Point is is the championship all we want. Of course we want a ring  but all is not lost if we don't get it either.

Would you rather have the Bills get to playoffs 5 straight years and win 1 Super Bowl or get to playoffs 10 straight years and win 0 Super Bowls?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

Even the media speculated McDermott could be on the hot seat if the Bills suffered another playoff disappointment. It's understandable the fans would feel the same way. But the only opinion that count's is Terry's and he sees it differently.

The football show talking heads rarely know what is going on with teams, unless it’s an after the fact type of thing, the are all a bunch of “breaking news wagon jumpers”  sadly most sports fans fall for their schtick over and over…

• Like (+1) 1

I am confused about where the notion that Beane is riding his pick of JA17 and that otherwise he is not a good drafter started. I compiled all of his draft picks between 2018 and 2021 and I see very few flat out misses. 

Josh Allen

Tremaine Edmunds – 74 career games played (74 started). 2 Pro Bowls. Signed a massive deal with the Bears in FA

Harrison Phillips – 62 career games played, 45 in Buffalo (28 started). Signed with Vikings in FA

Taron Johnson – 71 career games played (50 started). Considered one of the top nickel CB in the game

Siran Neal – 80 career games played (1 started). Special teams ace

Wyatt Teller – 66 career games played, 8 in Buffalo (59 started). 2 Pro Bowls

Ray-Ray McCloud – 65 career games played, 10 in Buffalo (10 started) – 2020 2nd team all pro KR

Austin Proehl – Cut and never played a down in the league

Ed Oliver – 62 career games played (53 started). 2019 All Rookie Team. Signed an Extension with the Bills

Cody Ford – 49 career games played, 38 in Buffalo (32 started). Traded to Cardinals, currently with the Bengals.

Devin Singletary – 61 career games played (56 started). Signed with Texans in FA

Dawson Knox – 57 career games played (47 started). 1 Pro Bowl. Signed an extension with the Bills

Vosean Joseph – Never played a snap in the league

Jaquan Johnson – 60 career games played (4 started). Primarily ST. Signed with the Raiders in FA

Darryl Johnson – 38 career games played, 31 in Buffalo (1 started). Traded to panthers, currently with the 49ers

Tommy Sweeney – 24 career games played (4 started). Signed with Giants in FA

AJ Epenesa – 43 career games played (3 started)

Zack Moss – 39 career games played, 31 in Buffalo (3 started). Traded to the Colts

Gabe Davis – 47 career games played (30 started)

Jake Fromm – 3 career games (2 started) Never played a snap for the Bills, currently with the Commanders

Tyler Bass – 49 career games played. Signed an extension with the Bills

Isaiah Hodgins – 11 career games, 1 with Buffalo (5 started). Released by Bills and signed by the Giants

Dane Jackson – 37 career games played (22 started). Signed a 1 year deal with the Bills

Greg Rousseau – 30 career games played (30 started)

Boogie Basham – 23 career games played (0 started)

Spencer Brown – 27 career games played (24 started)

Tommy Doyle – 12 career games played (0 Started)

Marquez Stevenson – 5 career games played (0 started). Currently with the Panthers

Damar Hamlin – 29 career games played (13 started)

Rachad Wildgoose – 20 career games played (3 started) Never played with the Bills

Jack Anderson – 14 career games played (3 started) Never played with the Bills

Is he drafting superstars with every pick? Of course not. Does he draft guys that have sustainable careers in the NFL? Yes, with darn near every pick. Out of 31 picks between 2019 and 2021, only 2 are not currently in the league and 14 no longer play for the Bills, but are still in the league. 

Do I wish he would have hit on a few more big-time players? Of course, I do. But he has consistently added quality depth through the draft. The notion that he cannot draft or has a terrible draft record outside of JA17 is just flat-out wrong. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You have no idea if a new staff would experience regression. This is a common assumption and thinking error. 

A new staff might propel the team to a SB win. 

correct, but how much value is there theorizing on the hypothetical results of an unnamed, hypothetical new staff?

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The slightest pushback and this is your response..

I could counter and debunk quite a few things you said here, but it will all be deleted soon, as it likely should.   Examples have been provided ad nauseum on the OT board. 

This is why people like YOU are responsible for LGBTQ acceptance dropping in this country.

“Everyone who disagrees with what Pride has become in the slightest is homophobic”

Not me.  Love and let live.. I have no issues with anyone being who they want to be at an adult age.

I grew up marching in Pride for my uncle who was cared for by his husband on his death bed for two years as he fought cancer. 

You have to grow thicker skin and/or learn a new pushback.

The point remains.  If McDermott was gay, it would be highlighted.  Saleh being Muslim was highlighted.  So why the issue from the person I responded to for McDermott being highlighted for beliefs core to his being?

This right here is your grift. I didn’t bring up LGBTQ, neither did the person you responded to. YOU did! And then you’re acting like people “like me” are somehow imposing this on you when you have a serious obsession with this topic. You’re not being “forced” to celebrate anything. 

I don’t have an issue with anything being highlighted for anyone if that’s what’s important to them. I don’t bring up the very worst of Christians and Christianity to demonize McD or Pegula for being proud of being Christians. We literally have Federal holidays and public celebrations for these religions, why aren’t you whining about that? You think those institutions are perfect?

People knock on my door and sing Christian songs at me during Christmas. I have every right to shut the door in their face if I don’t want to hear it. I don’t even though I have many issues with their religion and beliefs, but I don’t see that as me being forced to celebrate it. You and many others have made yourselves out to be such victims over this. 

I’m defending Sean here even though I can’t stand him as a coach and I don’t like his religion. That’s what a consistent stance is all about. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Draconator said:

Are you the love child between Einstein and Airseven?

“IT LIVES…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You have no idea if a new staff would experience regression. This is a common assumption and thinking error. 

A new staff might propel the team to a SB win. 

I have every idea that a new staff would experience regression. Unless, of course, you can cite an historical reference to a new coaching staff immediately improving upon a 13-3 record from the previous season and winning a SB. 

I suspect you’d be hard pressed to do so as coaches coming off a 13-3 record the previous season and .650 winning percentage over the last five are rarely, if ever, fired in the first place. 

That said, Pegula can still choose to fire McD anytime over the next five years, regardless. 

39 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Probably pretty close to the truth. The deals for both of them have been done. Yeah they decided to announce them now, probably because it’s June and nothing else is going on.

Thank you, does this mean I won the free hat contest?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

I am confused about where the notion that Beane is riding his pick of JA17 and that otherwise he is not a good drafter started. I compiled all of his draft picks between 2018 and 2021 and I see very few flat out misses. 

Josh Allen

Tremaine Edmunds – 74 career games played (74 started). 2 Pro Bowls. Signed a massive deal with the Bears in FA

Harrison Phillips – 62 career games played, 45 in Buffalo (28 started). Signed with Vikings in FA

Taron Johnson – 71 career games played (50 started). Considered one of the top nickel CB in the game

Ray-Ray McCloud – 65 career games played, 10 in Buffalo (10 started) – 2020 2nd team all pro KR

Ed Oliver – 62 career games played (53 started). 2019 All Rookie Team. Signed an Extension with the Bills

Cody Ford – 49 career games played, 38 in Buffalo (32 started). Traded to Cardinals, currently with the Bengals.

Devin Singletary – 61 career games played (56 started). Signed with Texans in FA

Dawson Knox – 57 career games played (47 started). 1 Pro Bowl. Signed an extension with the Bills

Jaquan Johnson – 60 career games played (4 started). Primarily ST. Signed with the Raiders in FA

Darryl Johnson – 38 career games played, 31 in Buffalo (1 started). Traded to panthers, currently with the 49ers

Zack Moss – 39 career games played, 31 in Buffalo (3 started). Traded to the Colts

Jake Fromm – 3 career games (2 started) Never played a snap for the Bills, currently with the Commanders

Isaiah Hodgins – 11 career games, 1 with Buffalo (5 started). Released by Bills and signed by the Giants

Dane Jackson – 37 career games played (22 started). Signed a 1 year deal with the Bills

Marquez Stevenson – 5 career games played (0 started). Currently with the Panthers

Rachad Wildgoose – 20 career games played (3 started) Never played with the Bills

Is he drafting superstars with every pick? Of course not. Does he draft guys that have sustainable careers in the NFL? Yes, with darn near every pick. Out of 31 picks between 2019 and 2021, only 2 are not currently in the league and 14 no longer play for the Bills, but are still in the league. 

Do I wish he would have hit on a few more big-time players? Of course, I do. But he has consistently added quality depth through the draft. The notion that he cannot draft or has a terrible draft record outside of JA17 is just flat-out wrong. 

Agreed. He’s made several good picks, not just Josh Allen. I suppose an argument can be made that the most recent drafts have yielded diminishing returns, but overall I think Beane’s done a great job.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

correct, but how much value is there theorizing on the hypothetical results of an unnamed, hypothetical new staff?

With respect, I think your mindset is flawed. " unnamed, hypothetical new staff." 

So many incorrect assumptions here. You act like the ownership is going to play pin the tail on the donkey and choose their coaching staff. 

There are several solid options available. 

4 hours ago, Airseven said:

Emulate? The point is that these extensions are gestures not commitments as previously exemplified around the league. McDermott and Beane don’t have a multi-year free pass if the team continues to sputter. 

So you’re saying it’s Kinda like how the Mods here think about you…, 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, thanks for the injection of humor at the end there.  It's very much appreciated and not lost on me.  :) 

Here's the point though, Allen can't play like he has forever, it's unlikely that he'll be playing that way for more than 4 or 5 more seasons, assuming he doesn't get injured, elbow or worse, so it's important to take full advantage of that, which we're simply not doing.  

Here's a hypothetical scenario.  Suppose we continue, post good to great regular seasons, continue to underperform/underachieve in the playoffs, and in three seasons Allen suffers an injury that disallows him from being anything close to what he was, whatever that injury may be.  

Suppose by that time all we've done is "gone to the playoffs" those three more seasons, gone 1-2 in the Wild-Card around, and lost in unceremonious fashion in the Divisional Rounds, which at the present time is the standard.  

What would be the talk amongst Bills Mafia do you think?  

Yeah completely valid points.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I have every idea that a new staff would experience regression. Unless, of course, you can cite an historical reference to a new coaching staff immediately improving upon a 13-3 record from the previous season and winning a SB. 

I suspect you’d be hard pressed to do so as coaches coming off a 13-3 record the previous season and .650 winning percentage over the last five are rarely, if ever, fired in the first place. 

That said, Pegula can still choose to fire McD anytime over the next five years, regardless. 

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse here. Been there done that with respect. 

17 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

Josh Allen

His first few drafts started solid and then it may have tapered in 20 and 21

epensesa while not a total bust hasn’t lived up..moss was jag… Fromm sucks…Hodgins did nothing here 

21- boogie hasn’t done much…brown has potential but done not much … Doyle non existent… Stevenson nope, wildegoose nope

He does seem to find solid defensive backs late

Edited by Buffalo716

It makes sense to keep them under contract, McD is not going anywhere for the next 2 seasons and likely next 3. Unless the failures in the playoffs are completely catastrophic he is the coach for the next three seasons and at least the next two. Pegula is not shy about spending money so if he has to eat 2-3 years on those deals he likely will.

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

No offense….. but that’s really the only thing that I can recall you doing.  Beating a dead horse. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

With respect, I think your mindset is flawed. " unnamed, hypothetical new staff." 

So many incorrect assumptions here. You act like the ownership is going to play pin the tail on the donkey and choose their coaching staff. 

There are several solid options available. 

Sure okay - name some.

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Dead horse? We have had one exchange on the idea that a new staff would immediately improve and win a SB. But ok. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It makes sense to keep them under contract, McD is not going anywhere for the next 2 seasons and likely next 3. Unless the failures in the playoffs are completely catastrophic he is the coach for the next three seasons and at least the next two. Pegula is not shy about spending money so if he has to eat 2-3 years on those deals he likely will.

But the failures in the playoffs have been catastrophic… Absolute blow out in the AFCC followed up by a head scratching 13 seconds loss to the Chiefs again the following season… Now the addition of a no show against the Bengals… 

Personally would have liked to see the extensions next year if the results are different. At least for McDermott. 

Just now, BBFL said:

But the failures in the playoffs have been catastrophic… Absolute blow out in the AFCC followed up by a head scratching 13 seconds loss to the Chiefs again the following season… Now the addition of a no show against the Bengals… 

Personally would have liked to see the extensions next year if the results are different. At least for McDermott. 

13 seconds is the only catastrophic failure in my opinion. 2020 the Bills were simply banged up at WR and not used to the playoffs. I can write that off. The Bengals were simply better and the Bills who had the season from hell were exhausted so I don't count that as catastrophic given the circumstances. McD will get put on the hot seat if playoff failures mount but just not yet in my opinion. 

Luckily there are no salary caps for coaches. So much like the Rex deal Pegula can just eat the deals and move on. Better to have a good coach and GM locked in and have to eat money than risk losing them on expiring deals.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

His first few drafts started solid and then it may have tapered in 20 and 21

epensesa while not a total bust hasn’t lived up..moss was jag… Fromm sucks…Hodgins did nothing here 

21- boogie hasn’t done much…brown has potential but done not much … Doyle non existent… Stevenson nope, wildegoose nope

He does seem to find solid defensive backs late

I'm dying at pointing to 6th and 7th Round picks not finding a spot on a stacked roster as justification that his Drafts suck.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm dying at pointing to 6th and 7th Round picks not finding a spot on a stacked roster as justification that his Drafts suck.

Ummm basham and AJ were 7th rounders? Zack moss? Fromm? He spent a fourth round pick on a quarterback whos not back up level

brown? His résumé in the second and third round is not that inspiring

He’s definitely not terrible…he’s solid…  But if it’s Beane or McDermott I’m taking McDermott

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

For me I don't quantify by how far they make it, rather than what they look like getting there. 13 seconds was tough to take...but even in the loss it felt like the team took that step forward. Last year was IMO a huge step back based on level of play.

I can get behind this sort of analysis except for the bolded...last season the team dealt with unprecedented challenges and still went 14-4.  We just remember that last game and think they stunk all year.  Remember how they shot out of the gate?  Every team has up-and-down moments in a season...and this year will be no different.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

They deserve it. Last year was an abberation. Just freaky bad luck. I personally think we had a great off-season, especially with the cap situation. I'm excited to see what the year brings.

Why not acknowledge the fact the cap situation is of their own creation? It’s not like Beane is dealing w dead cap from a former GM, this mess is his. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ummm basham and AJ were 7th rounders? Zack moss? Fromm? He spent a fourth round pick on a quarterback whos not back up level

brown? His résumé in the second and third round is not that inspiring

He’s definitely not terrible…he’s solid…  But if it’s Beane or McDermott I’m taking McDermott

Agreed.

• Like (+1) 1

Great news even though there are those stuck in the drought that would rather have the Bills go back to their old ways of changing coaches every 2 or 3 seasons only to keep them irrelevant .

I'm glad that the Pegs can see that they have a very good pair to keep the Bills relevant for years to come !! GO BILLS !! 

43 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This right here is your grift. I didn’t bring up LGBTQ, neither did the person you responded to. YOU did! And then you’re acting like people “like me” are somehow imposing this on you when you have a serious obsession with this topic. You’re not being “forced” to celebrate anything. 

I don’t have an issue with anything being highlighted for anyone if that’s what’s important to them. I don’t bring up the very worst of Christians and Christianity to demonize McD or Pegula for being proud of being Christians. We literally have Federal holidays and public celebrations for these religions, why aren’t you whining about that? You think those institutions are perfect?

People knock on my door and sing Christian songs at me during Christmas. I have every right to shut the door in their face if I don’t want to hear it. I don’t even though I have many issues with their religion and beliefs, but I don’t see that as me being forced to celebrate it. You and many others have made yourselves out to be such victims over this. 

I’m defending Sean here even though I can’t stand him as a coach and I don’t like his religion. That’s what a consistent stance is all about. 

Again .. your premise that “nobody is forced to celebrate” has been disproved plenty of times on the OT board. 

Id respect your post much more if you didn’t resort to calling people “homophobic” when you know nothing about them.  

A growing number of people who have always advocated for gay rights (such as myself) wish people like you would chill out with the name calling and bizarre aggression to those who pushback against a movement that is more about BlackRock and Vanguard than it is gay rights. 

If you truly cared about the community, you’d restrain from flying off the handle anytime someone invokes anything that tangentially involves them. 

LGBTQ acceptance has dropped precipitously in recent years.  It’s not because people have become less tolerant.  It’s because people are sick of forced compliance and people, such as yourself, that can’t help but go 0-100 in regards to name calling. 

I brought it up because we’re on a month where we focus so heavily on one subset of peoples identity and/or beliefs. 

McDermott being a Christian is fundamental to who he is.   The poster i responded to had a problem with that being highlighted.   My question to that person is why?   

Then here you come with the name calling and aggression that too often accompanies this discussion nowadays.   To the detriment of the community you claim to care about. 

Edited by SCBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.