How do you feel about the Bills going into the 2023 season vs going into 2022?

billsfan89

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm curious what you base the much better team part on.  I keep reading this from other posters.

I don't see dramatic improvements to this team this offseason at all.

You might argue we don't need improvements, but that's a different issue entirely.

The rest of my post, after what you quoted, lays out where I feel we're better than last year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I'm curious what you base the much better team part on.  I keep reading this from other posters.

You might argue we don't need improvements, but that's a different issue entirely.

Agreed. It seems fans are still trying to convince themselves additions like McGovern, Harris, Sherfield, Harty, Ford, etc. are impactful. The roster is deeper at certain positions and hopefully a couple rookies can contribute, but overall it feels much the same as last season. Perhaps they get lucky with health issues to counteract the tougher schedule/competition.   

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Upgrading our Guards is definitely an upgrade.  We should have much more success with a power run up the middle, especially with Harris.  Also, when you have good guards, that takes some pressure off their neighboring center and Tackles. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I feel a little bit worse this year even though it's pretty easy to convince myself that the roster improved this offseason. 

Going into last offseason, with how Josh played against the Patriots and Chiefs in the playoffs, it felt like we could only lose to Mahomes or maybe Burrow in a playoff game. 

Going into this offseason I've been reminded that this team will pull a disappearing act for at least 1 game per season under McD, and if it happens in a playoff game again we're obviously toast. 

21 minutes ago, Airseven said:

QB - same old rollercoaster ride

RB - better

WR - shuffling deck chairs

TE - better

OL - shuffling deck chairs

DE - worse

DT - better

LB - worse

CB - same old rollercoaster ride

S - worse 

ST - meh

Coaching - meh

Overall - worse (mostly due to how much AFC peers are improving around them)

What exactly did you need to see in order to believe the OL has been improved?  McGovern is an above average pass blocker / below average run blocker.  Is that not better than what we had in Saffold?  We drafted one of, if not "the" top OG in the Draft.  That's a step up from "shuffling deck chairs".  That's potentially 2/5th's of our OL being addressed by a mid-tier FA and top tier draft prospect.

DE "worse" ... ok, explain.  Von, Floyd, Rousseau & co. is worse than Von, Rosseau & co.?  Alright. 

S "worse" ... ok, explain.  Hyde/Poyer/Rapp is worse than Poyer and backups?  Alright. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

The team we have going into 2023 is significantly better than last year's team, imo.

I think for the 1st time in the JA era, we'll have an o-line that doesn't have a weak link or 2.  Also for the 1st time, we'll have an actual running game - that doesn't involve Allen.  Harris is going to change the dynamic of this offense.

We also have an improved pass rush, imo, and will be tougher & more physical overall.

Tougher schedule this year (on paper) - but I love this team heading into the season.  I feel as optimistic as I ever have.

Major weakness is still there and not going to change, but I'll say it:  McBeane are the primary issue.  Why?  Because their vision of NFL football with a franchise QB has not changed much since Josh elevated his play.  

McD still loves his defense too much for a HC originating from that side of the ball.  He can't help himself to add another DLineman that supports his demand for an ultra deep DL.  Every year they have to add another 2-3 UFAs there at rates above market value.  They can spend another 10M+ on Floyd, Ford, Phillips, but shudder the thought of adding a better WR2.  It's been rare the offense was a priority in UFA when relatively proven veterans were available.       

And their drafts haven't been stellar either.   Too many 1st-3rd round picks that have been pedestrian or underwhelming which forces them to go UFA shopping which impacts their cap. 

Lot of people here always talking individual position improvement, but I'm waiting for the HC and GM to start getting better in off-season decisions.    

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think we are overhyping the improvements made at OL and WR. 

OL - I am hopeful McG can be an upgrade over Saffold. But to call it a sure thing is naive. The rest of the line is the same. I think much of the hope will be on Spencer Brown playing better, he was worse than Saffold last year. If Edwards or Torrence beat out Bates is that a major or minor upgrade? Bates is already a serviceable G. Torrence could be the long-term answer though. We are splitting hairs if we are debating the depth. The most important depth is at C and we still are in trouble if Morse goes down.

WR - I don't buy the Harty and Sherfield hype. Both guys have been in the league four years and done nothing. Yet we call them upgrades over Crowder and McK who had accomplished a lot more. The real story here will be G Davis (assuming we dont get Hopkins) and how he plays this year. If he is bad it does not matter much what Harty and Sherfield do.

I also think we are underestimating the loss of Edmunds. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

It depends on how you define better. We lead the NFL in FPI last year and went 13-3, but the later part of the season was ugly. Sometimes, having an episode like Bills went through can cause you to deal with problems you might otherwise not have. I think they've done that and without repeating what others have said I can imagine an outcome where we win the whole thing. They might not be 13-3 again, but without expectations of being the favorites they have a chance!

20 hours ago, arcane said:

The general vibe in my mind is much darker and more malicious right now compared to last summer. This is mostly due to places like here because when I snap out of it i see a better team, and wonder why I was as high on them last year as I was given the state of the weapons

Speaking for myself, last pre-season I pretty much drank the Kool-Aid that Saffold would return to the form he had with the Rams and that Aaron Kromer would weld together a workable OL that could both run and pass protect.  I had a second glass around the notion that Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie were both ready to Take That Step and that Shakir would contribute as a 5th round rookie from a small program.

In hindsight, I feel a bit foolish, but we did win 13 reg season games and end as the #2 offense in football, so not too foolish.

This season, I feel that Kromer legitimately has more to work with on OL including Conner McGovern and a top OG from the draft.  Still a bit concerned about OT, especially RT, though I think if Edwards is fully recovered from his concussion he may compete there.  Also interested by Brandon Shell.

I feel that Trent Sherfield is solid and Harty is that low risk, high reward guy.  Overall I feel the talent level is potentially higher on offense, it just remains to see how Allen and the coaches can meld it together.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Speaking for myself, last pre-season I pretty much drank the Kool-Aid that Saffold would return to the form he had with the Rams and that Aaron Kromer would weld together a workable OL that could both run and pass protect.  I had a second glass around the notion that Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie were both ready to Take That Step and that Shakir would contribute as a 5th round rookie from a small program.

In hindsight, I feel a bit foolish, but we did win 13 reg season games and end as the #2 offense in football, so not too foolish.

This season, I feel that Kromer legitimately has more to work with on OL including Conner McGovern and a top OG from the draft.  Still a bit concerned about OT, especially RT, though I think if Edwards is fully recovered from his concussion he may compete there.  Also interested by Brandon Shell.

I feel that Trent Sherfield is solid and Harty is that low risk, high reward guy.  Overall I feel the talent level is potentially higher on offense, it just remains to see how Allen and the coaches can meld it together.

As you know I was never as sold on what they did on offense last offseason. But McGovern, Edwards, Torrence, Harty, Sherfield and of course Kincaid is a more encouraging offseason for my money. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

What exactly did you need to see in order to believe the OL has been improved?  McGovern is an above average pass blocker / below average run blocker.  Is that not better than what we had in Saffold?  We drafted one of, if not "the" top OG in the Draft.  That's a step up from "shuffling deck chairs".  That's potentially 2/5th's of our OL being addressed by a mid-tier FA and top tier draft prospect.

DE "worse" ... ok, explain.  Von, Floyd, Rousseau & co. is worse than Von, Rosseau & co.?  Alright. 

S "worse" ... ok, explain.  Hyde/Poyer/Rapp is worse than Poyer and backups?  Alright. 

The thread asks to compare feelings going into '22 vs. '23.

McGovern may prove to be an upgrade over Saffold, but that isn't saying much. I don't consider him a viable starter. Very pleased with the Torrence pick, but he's a rook and so sets expectations. The same tackle group is hard to fathom.

If Floyd was signed to replace Epenesa then great. But he was signed to replace Miller at least for the short-term. I don't expect Miller to have an impact until late season - if at all.

Hyde and Poyer coming off significant injuries and another year older is obviously a worse scenario than a year ago (Poyer didn't get much interest in FA). Rapp - a backup - was my favorite signing of the off-season.  

Edited by Airseven

Cautiously optimistic. O better, D might be statistically worse, but in the long run more aggressive and better under McDermott. Hoping Josh better, finally becomes patient. Team is no longer the media darling, if anything they are now looked at as chokers. They will play all year with Boulder on their shoulder. Barring injuries, I believe they have a good chance of winning it all 

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The wr room was definitely upgraded overall. I'm still not sold on RT and Gabe.

I really thought Saffold had 1 to 2 years left. 

I am concerned about play design on the offensive side of the ball and our ability to adjust when defensive coordinators take away what we do best.  My hope is with an offense with less free lancing and more designated routes, it helps us from being predictable. 

The IOL honestly should be improved with replacing the walking stiffs we have had in there

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Major weakness is still there and not going to change, but I'll say it:  McBeane are the primary issue.  Why?  Because their vision of NFL football with a franchise QB has not changed much since Josh elevated his play.  

McD still loves his defense too much for a HC originating from that side of the ball.  He can't help himself to add another DLineman that supports his demand for an ultra deep DL.  Every year they have to add another 2-3 UFAs there at rates above market value.  They can spend another 10M+ on Floyd, Ford, Phillips, but shudder the thought of adding a better WR2.  It's been rare the offense was a priority in UFA when relatively proven veterans were available.       

And their drafts haven't been stellar either.   Too many 1st-3rd round picks that have been pedestrian or underwhelming which forces them to go UFA shopping which impacts their cap. 

Lot of people here always talking individual position improvement, but I'm waiting for the HC and GM to start getting better in off-season decisions.    

This 100 percent. 

A few of my mafia brothers and sisters mention the tougher schedule.

I don't really care about that.  As long as the Bills stay reasonably healthy, they'll be AFCE champs once again.  

And, if healthy, they have a chance to make a run in the playoffs.  

Though with 31 other teams - maybe a dozen of which are legitimately good - it's foolish to predict, or demand, a SB appearance. 

But I probably feel better about the Bills this offseason than I have since the early 90s.  

As always, the wild card is how healthy a team can remain through a ridiculously long season. 
On paper, the team should be better. Another year of experience for Josh and Dorsey. Another year for last year’s promising rookies. 
I believe the LB play will be improved. Sorry, but Edmunds was not I instinctive and was easily pushed around. He made some progress over 2021, but more often than not he was Mr. Johnny Come Lately or second man in stopping ball carriers. For all the praise he received in passing situations, I saw him as a liability.

But, as the Bills have improved, so has the other teams in the division. I believe New England is being unfairly overlooked. I don’t see them winning the division, but they will be spoilers. Jones led them to the playoffs as a rookie, and they still have a HOF head coach. 
Hopefully, the Bills will win most of their division games and let the other three beat up on each other. 
If they stay healthy and focused, they have what it takes to win it all. 

My feeling is that the Bills will win fewer regular season games in 2023 than they did in 2022. However, I think the 2023 team has a legitimate shot at performing better in the playoffs than the 2022 team.

My reasoning is that the AFC as a whole is better this year than last, but that the other “top” teams (KC and CIN) are not necessarily any better off this year than last.

Edited by schoolhouserock

If your not concerned you aren't paying attention.

Diggs feud with Allen has come to a climax (since Josh got with Diggs then GF, a local bartender pregnant, so Diggs retaliated by hooking up with @brittwill and Josh found out the night before the Bengals game).

This led the team to cancel practice since everyone was butthurt about the whole situation. 

The roster is currently in shambles because Beane drafted a TE who's role will be almost exclusively to block when their biggest need was at pass catcher and they spent the money they freed up with the Oliver extension on a washed pass rusher instead of Dhop.

On top of the fact they decided to pointedly ignore the offense this offseason and also failed to retain Edmunds, I don't see how you can see this offseason as anything other than an abject failure.

I'll be surprised if the Bills win even one game this season.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hermes said:

Diggs feud with Allen has come to a climax (since Josh got with Diggs then GF, a local bartender pregnant, so Diggs retaliated by hooking up with @brittwill and Josh found out the night before the Bengals game).

This led the team to cancel practice since everyone was butthurt about the whole situation. 

The roster is currently in shambles because Beane drafted a TE who's role will be almost exclusively to block when their biggest need was at pass catcher and they spent the money they freed up with the Oliver extension on a washed pass rusher instead of Dhop.

On top of the fact they decided to pointedly ignore the offense this offseason and also failed to retain Edmunds, I don't see how you can see this offseason as anything other than an abject failure.

C'mon.  Even the ''68 Bills, who went through 5 quarterbacks, won one game.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I think the over investment on defense was a true concern in 2021 and 2022. But this past offseason the Bills spent their top 2 draft picks on what we’re largely regarded to be the best TE and Guard in the draft. They also spend their biggest free agent contract (McGovern) at guard. McBeane also kept Hines, added Hardy and signed a pair of power RB’s. 

While the cap space was more limited what little they could do was shifted more towards the offense this offseason. Outside of Floyd who doesn’t cost much I haven’t seen too much added to the defense. 

The Bills are also still in on Dhop at the very least attempting to address the WR core.

55 minutes ago, Hermes said:

cool story, I got a laugh!

Edited by snamsnoops

On 6/14/2023 at 6:39 PM, billsfan89 said:

Secondary - Even 

The Bills were really shaky at CB going into 2022. Tre was coming off a serious injury and likely to miss time and not come back to form. Elam was drafted in round 1 but still a rookie. Outside of T.Johnson there wasn't much stability. But the back end at safety induced more confidence going into 2022. Not only were Hyde and Poyer a year younger but they weren't coming off major injuries. Going into 2023 I like Tre to have a return to form and Elam, Benford, and Dane Jackson are all more experienced this season. But I am also less confident in Po and Hyde both a year older and Hyde coming off a serious injury and Po coming off a year where he was really banged up. The Bills do have better depth at safety with Hamlin getting some snaps and Rapp a solid vet backup. Overall even money for me. 

Linebacker - Worse in 2023

The Bills entered into 2022 with Milano and Edumonds two high-quality young LB's and Edumonds was entering into a contract year so extra motivation on him, the depth at LB was not really all that great. Going into 2023 Milano is still there but Edumonds is going being replaced by Klein a decent vet and a third-round pick in Dorian Williams. I know a lot of people on here weren't Edumonds fans and I agree with the decision not to resign him. But the Bills will likely see a decline in LB play unless Williams or another player on the roster overachieves. 

Defensive line - Even 

If it weren't for Von's injury I would rate 2023 as having an edge with the Poona Ford and Floyd additions. But despite getting a second quality NT and a nice vet pass rusher in Floyd Von coming off a serious injury causes a lot of concern. Feeling about equal, I think the Bills should have a top-quality D-line going into both 2022 and 2023. 

The defense overall - Slightly worse going into 2023

I liked the defense in 2022 to be the best defense if not at least a top 3 unit going into 2023. But with the likely decline of LB play I think the Bills defense may regress a bit but should still be a top 7-10 unit in the league and could easily be a top 5 unit. But I do think that the defense will feel the absence of Edumonds and there are some more holes going into 2023. Still, the defense should be a good unit. 

Ok, so ... having Tre White and Micah Hyde completely healthy and Kaiir Elam in his second year is "even."

Makes sense. You're saying there won't be much of a difference.

But then ... you're saying that because Von Miller is not completely healthy, the defensive line is "even" despite adding good players in Ford and Floyd?

...what?

To some it up, I think the Bills are strained. They're trying to keep as much of the 2020-2022 team together as possible, fighting age, cost and morale/confidence with three straight Playoff loses. 

The cap is strained. Beane has done everything he possibly can to retain as much of the 2020 jump team as he can. 

While Frazier doesn't feel like a big loss, his departure, combined with Daboll the year before, and Joe Schoen, and Chad Hall, there is some outward trend. 

The team largely took the same approach on Offensive Line - solid veterans, fringe starter types, but no bank breaking. Obviously, Torrence is the big play here. Banking on Spencer Brown at RT, risky to me. 

The team turned over the bottom 3 WRs as they should have - no more McKenzie, Kumerow or Crowder, now Harty, Sherfield and Shorter. I think that's warranted. 

At running back, they have a mixture of size, power, speed, receiving. The National media keeps calling for more and more, but I don't see the need. 

Defensively, can't argue with low-cost signings of Rapp & Floyd. But same as offense, largely focused on bringing as much back as they could. 

McDermott is garnering more scrutiny, not from ownership it seems, but more from the fanbase. Now he is coordinating the defense as well, no more Frazier excuses come Playoff time. 

Pressure is on Dorsey to perform. 

Allen is saying he is more focused on football than ever, and admitted he is working out more as before (Kyle Brandt's basement interview) he said his talent helped him get bye. 

Diggs has been frustrated since the Bengals game, and I think he's been consistent in his frustration with the Playoff loses going back to the Rich Eisen interview at the Super Bowl. He's 29/30 and starting his 4th year in Buffalo. 

Von Miller is getting old, and is coming off another injury. 

Feels like one last hurray with this core to get it done. At this moment I don't fear the Jets or the Dolphins, even if they got by us, no way they are better than Cincinnati or the Chiefs. But in the end, I want to see what Allen can do this season. He's been at the same production level for the past 3 seasons, so is there a (small) higher gear? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

There is not a doubt in my mind that the talent on this team is better overall than it was a year ago.

That said, do I feel better about the team right now as I did heading into the season as I did last year?  I don't know.

The fact is, while I feel the talent is better overall, the coaching on this team is still a concern to me.  They consistently have been out-coached in big games every year.  Until I see evidence that this has changed, I am not sure how I can feel better.  Getting rid of Frazier on the surface seems like an upgrade.  But make no mistake about it....McDermott has been a big part of this defense since the day he got here.  So, how much of a change will we see on that side of the ball?  Guess we'll have to wait and see.  As for Dorsey, he didn't have a creative bone in his body last season.  Will that change this year?  Who knows.

So do I feel better overall?  I am not so sure until this coaching staff shows me something positive.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Ok, so ... having Tre White and Micah Hyde completely healthy and Kaiir Elam in his second year is "even."

Makes sense. You're saying there won't be much of a difference.

But then ... you're saying that because Von Miller is not completely healthy, the defensive line is "even" despite adding good players in Ford and Floyd?

...what?

Poyer was banged up all last year and is a year older while Hyde is a year older coming off a serious injury so while I like the corner play to be better due to the factors you mentioned, I am concerned about decreasing play from an aging safety tandem.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:51 PM, Process said:

It's the best roster we've had in the Josh Allen era for sure. 

Last off-season felt way better because the way the season before ended compared to this year. 

But the roster is as good as ever. Hopefully they can put it all together.

Agree with your sentiments Process.  Roster looks great on paper this year.  See a lot more potential on O line.  Love drafting Kincaid and signing Harris and Murray at RB.  Signing Ford and Floyd on D line are good moves also.  Letting Edmunds and Frazier go was smart.  Edmunds was certainly not a game changer.  And our defense was predictable and passive under Frazier.  I think McDermott puts a different spin on how we play on D.  Tough schedule in the second half of the year.  But I think this will be a very good team that gets better over the course of the season.  And Josh Allen is going to dominate.  With a decent O line and a big time TE in Kincaid to go with our other weapons, who is really going to stop our offense?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Feel this is a very good roster but is possibly not going to get as many wins and may not win division. Just more competitive this season division wise particularly in my opinion. Put me down as cautiously optimistic.

15 hours ago, Hermes said:

Do you think the plan is to have Knox and Kincaid to run routes and end up in the same spot together and get in a single file line?

You see just one tall white guy standing with his arms down.  And then all of a sudden, 4 arms go up!  There's no way you can throw an incomplete pass to four arms can you?

image.png.fefa8b5402e97eb5d034b5ee54d64918.png

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

C'mon.  Even the ''68 Bills, who went through 5 quarterbacks, won one game.  

Apparently that ties the '87 Patriots for the most Qbs to start in a season. (They went 8-7! But missed the playoffs lol)

I can't imagine how a modern NFL team would fair under those condition. The game is so nuanced now that having a QB who presumably wasn't on the roster to learn the offense would be a nightmare. 

Realistically, I'm jaded from the way that last season ended. That being said, I think the Bills have as good a shot as any team to win the Superbowl.

40 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you think the plan is to have Knox and Kincaid to run routes and end up in the same spot together and get in a single file line?

You see just one tall white guy standing with his arms down.  And then all of a sudden, 4 arms go up!  There's no way you can throw an incomplete pass to four arms can you?

image.png.fefa8b5402e97eb5d034b5ee54d64918.png

I heard rumblings they're calling it the Vishnu formation but I didn't want to post about it because I think that's the Bills secret weapon this year. How many times did we see McKittrick and Gabe try it out last year? The height difference was simply insurmountable...

Edited by Hermes
  • Haha (+1) 1

I feel significantly less optimism than I did last season.

I feel our decision not to acquire a starting caliber MLB was a gross misstep. There are still players ont he market I'd be happy with, but they seem content to roll with a bunch of 220 lb third-rate prospects. I expect this to be a constant point of pain for our defense this season and won't be shocked if it's ultimately our undoing.

Our decision to not address WR2 is another area where I think we've intentionally shot ourselves in the foot. By not addressing the position, the Bills have put an implicit vote of confidence behind Gabe Davis, and I expect him to fail to rise to the occasion. People will point to Kincaid, but the history on production of Rookie Tight Ends is pretty clear that we shouldn't be expecting massive production, even if he turn into a top player.

Our RB room, while marginally improved, is still a RB by committee without a truly elite threat. Lots of teams win without elite threats, but I'd feel better if we had a player back there that gave us a way to win without Josh Allen.

I don't expect our offensive line to be massively improved, despite investments. Dawkins is still a middling LT, Morse is a middling and aging C who is a concussion away from retirement and Spencer Brown is still a liability at RT until proven otherwise. I don't see a medicore veteran guard or unproven rookie guard being the difference makers others do.

I wouldn't feel ok betting on the bills to win the superbowl at anything lower than +3000. I just can't draw a path to them winning it all that doens't involve injuries to other teams

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/14/2023 at 6:44 PM, GETTOTHE50 said:

and we are better at LB with edmunds gone. that was textbook addition by subtraction. 

The Bills have allowed 19.5 ppg and 306 ypg since 2018. During that same time they allowed 25.4 ppg and 346 ypg in games that Edmunds missed. The defense has been objectively much worse without Edmunds since he was drafted. Like it’s not even up for debate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.