Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I assumed that when the team restructured Diggs they had spoken to him and had a reasonably accurate temperature on the situation. It feels like checking in after the way we ended the CIN game would have been a slam dunk...apparently not? 

In a worst case, doomsday scenario, Diggs could tank this roster by forcing his way out. 

(Most NFL contracts are written with permission for restructures up front. Teams do not need to get approval before restructuring)

Most of the time teams don't talk to player before restructuring because it's built into their contract that they can do it and it is highly beneficial to the player since they get more money upfront, so what would they be upset about?

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I understood Diggs being upset in Minnesota, because they were a run-first offense and showed no signs of changing, and he felt he was being underused and wasn't being allowed to reach his vast potential.

I'm a lot less understanding of his being upset now. As others have pointed out, he's paid very well, he's on a very pass-first offense with a top five quarterback, and he's the focal point of the passing game.

Besides, what does he really think he could get on another team that he doesn't have here? Short of joining the Chiefs, who does he honestly feel like would give him a better chance to win a ring at this point?

Yes, I understand why he'd be aggravated with the coaches and potentially even Josh Allen, but I don't think that he's going about it the right way.

A good teammate simply does not take his ball and go home when the going gets tough. You want changes to the way the offense is called or to what Josh is looking at when he drops back to pass? Fine. Come to offseason meetings (at LEAST the mandatory ones) and sit with the coaches and the QB and give input. Help shape the offense. Help improve the team from a scheming and play-calling perspective.

I'm not bent out of shape about it. He's not the first player to skip mandatory camp and won't be the last. I DO think he's going about things the wrong way and is being unreasonable, though.

Good post. The nature of this situation almost seems to guarantee he will be out there when the games count, and as you stated this is hardly unprecedented.

That being said, he is starting to wear my patience thin with how he approaches things. I've always defended Diggs and love his competitiveness. Let's hope this is an issue that doesn't linger through the summer.

23 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I defended Diggs a lot to this point, but this is inexcusable IMO

Yup. This is the first time I've actually thought he's a problem. The rest was just passion.

No excuse for not showing up... ESPECIALLY after you sign a big extension and are named team captain. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, jletha said:

I cant possibly understand what in the world Diggs could be protesting. He signed a new deal last year, hes on a top 3 offense with a top 3 QB.

Whats the angle here? He wants to be traded...to where? He wants more money...based on what?

Cut bait and sign Hopkins if this gets any uglier.

Same, I have no idea why he’s sitting out. 

19 minutes ago, jletha said:

I cant possibly understand what in the world Diggs could be protesting. He signed a new deal last year, hes on a top 3 offense with a top 3 QB.

Whats the angle here? He wants to be traded...to where? He wants more money...based on what?

Cut bait and sign Hopkins if this gets any uglier.

He didn't sign a new contract. He was restructured. Most NFL contracts include approval for future restructures. From a contractual point of view there was no need to notify Diggs at all. 

Although after the way he behaved at the end of the season, one would think a team would make sure they weren't handcuffing themselves to a player who would refuse to show up. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Either way if he shows up tomorrow I can’t imagine Mcd lets it slide and trots him right out there. It’s essentially going to be a wasted camp for him. 

Like Diggs needs camp 🤣

And he'll be right out there with the starters the day he shows up.

8 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Maybe Diggs isn’t satisfied that they have done enough to help him out at Wr2?

Maybe he has another photoshoot of some trendy clothes to model for everyone.. 

I don’t know, I really thought he would be there today..

He is still unbunching his undies.  Should have them on soon.  

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I hope Josh Allen goes to meet with Diggs at his house after practice. 

Logically, there is either an issue between them or the coaching staff. Perhaps both.

You would have thought that Josh would have worked things out with Diggs by now.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

People need to relax.   Give it time.  I’m sure there’s something going on in his personal life that needs attention.  

If there was a serious issue at hand, Diggs could of at least given the team a heads up/excuse…McD’s response suggests he did neither…Not only is it unprofessional, but most certainly not the actions you would expect from a captain…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

His brother(not Travon) was involved in some serious legal trouble.  Not sure if this is related to him not showing up at camp, just throwing that out there.  

Then McD wouldn’t have called it “concerning.”

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

I guarantee he has a rift with Dorsey. 

I think it's mostly this. And a bit of McD being soft.

At the MNF game, Diggs was the only player getting ready to re-take the field and pumping his teammates up before McD pulled the plug.

At the Cincy playoff game, Diggs was one of maybe 3 players (Milano and kinda Edmunds) that showed up to play.

I think he wants more fire from the coach. Plus a different Offensive philosophy.

Again, totally guessing.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JaCrispy said:

If there was a serious issue at hand, Diggs could of at least given the team a heads up/excuse…McD’s response suggests he did neither…Not only is it unprofessional, but most certainly not the actions you would expect from a captain…

He won't be a captain if this goes on for too much longer!

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Most of the time teams don't talk to player before restructuring because it's built into their contract that they can do it and it is highly beneficial to the player since they get more money upfront, so what would they be upset about?

Right, that is what I am saying. Haha 

I included that portion because in the mini-camp thread somebody replied to me that Diggs had to sign off on a restructure. I didn't want to re-hash it over here. 

My point about reaching out to Diggs was that we knew we would be totally handcuffed to him with a restructure. And we know the way he behaved to end the season and his series of super weird and cryptic tweets. It would be professional due diligence in this scenario to try and get a reality check. 

All I take from him not showing up today (even if he shows up tomorrow), his offseason oddities, and the way he ended last season is that Diggs is willing to blow this season up if he becomes unhappy. 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Like Diggs needs camp 🤣

And he'll be right out there with the starters the day he shows up.

Diggs may not "need" camp. But if he was as big of a "competitor who wants to win" maybe showing up and working with his team and the new faces in the WR room is a better way to accomplish that. It's kinda how a team captain may be looked at to perform. 

Stef is being all about Stef. Not he team. Not winning. Not improving. He's had months to get over any squabble he had with coaching or Allen or whatever else has his knickers in a bunch.  Did his photo shoots get in the way? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.