RD 5, Pick 150: WR Justin Shorter, Florida

Chandler#81

I think Beane drafts better in round five than in rounds 2-4. Would not be surprised if Shorter turns out to be the "diamond in the rough" for the Bills in the 2023 draft. Shorter was behind WR studs at Penn State, and consequently never saw the field. And at Florida, he had a revolving door at QB, OC, and Head Coach.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Looks like he has good speed, but doesn’t seem to create separation.  Good blocker.  Probably great at jump balls.  I like it.  Why not take a gamble on a physical specimen in the 5th round?

that was my wife’s philosophy.

4 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

From reading this thread some.  Shorter sucks but is awesome at the same time.  He has awful hands at the same time as having good hands. The pick is a reach and is good value.  

he might have a good left hand and a poor right hand.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Smallest LB Corp in league, poor pass rush and overall poor front 7.  They won't get off the field on 3rd down and they are slow.  They haven't upgraded anywhere on defense.  Not physical enough.

I'm not confident in the front 7 outside of Milano at all.  They are not physical at all

Agreed, but I prefer to think of it as a glass half full and I believe the lack of a pick on the Dline means we're extending Daquan and signing a vet DE like Mathis, Ngokue, Houston or Clark. From comments made in the draft press conferences I think they want to run 2 similarly sized LBs this year to help disguise coverages. I think the improvement on D this year if any is going to come from McDermott's attacking scheme vs Frazier's scheme. 

Trying to get Josh some big targets, and still the typical pissing and moaning… on a 5th round pick. Who cares that Beane’s success rate, including drafting WR, has been better than average in the late rounds? 

Who thought last year Benford was going to step in right away and not only start, but play well enough to not be a weak link on a 13-3 NFL team?

The teams Beane built should’ve at the very least went to back to back AFC Championships, likely a Lombardi (two years ago), and last year went 13-3, in the midst of what seemed like non-stop injuries… Trust the process, it’s worked thus far.  It’s not like this is a franchise backing into the playoffs year after year, they are elite, they are knocking on the door, it’s just a matter of time before they kick it in.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Agreed, but I prefer to think of it as a glass half full and I believe the lack of a pick on the Dline means we're extending Daquan and signing a vet DE like Mathis, Ngokue, Houston or Clark. From comments made in the draft press conferences I think they want to run 2 similarly sized LBs this year to help disguise coverages. I think the improvement on D this year if any is going to come from McDermott's attacking scheme vs Frazier's scheme. 

I hope you're right.  I really think they are going to struggle against the run and get pushed around against physical teams like the Bengals

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Yeah looks like he lets the ball come to his body instead of highpointing the catch🤦‍♂️

The catching technique doesn't look ideal in that video, but he apparently only has 1 drop on 114 targets over the past two seasons. If it works it works.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Funny that there are a few that are saying he's got drop issues. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

The catching technique doesn't look ideal in that video, but he apparently only has 1 drop on 114 targets over the past two seasons. If it works it works.

Yeah, dropping 1 pass in 114 targets doesn't sound like a person with drop issues. 

• Agree 4

24 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’d go a step further and say I expect him to be active on gameday at minimum ST and Redzone target.

if he looks strong at camp, he could push for the WR3 role…which is currently up for grabs

I dunno about that.  Historically, we rode into game day with 5 active WR and 2 active TE I think.

6 WR on the roster

We've got Diggs, Davis, they paid Harty at a point where they expect him to be active, I think Sherfield will be active for ST and as a short route target with good RAC

So the 5th WR will be a contest between Shakir and Shorter.  We'll see I guess.....

And then there's the point we may want to roll with 3 active TE and 1 less WR if we're viewing our new TE as a "big slot"

At this point, I think he'll be a competition for game-day inactive with Shakir, and the 2nd year guy def. has an advantage.  But as a big vertical threat, I really like the pick.  "Steel sharpens steel".

Just now, Beck Water said:

I dunno about that.  Historically, we rode into game day with 5 active WR and 2 active TE I think.

6 WR on the roster

We've got Diggs, Davis, they paid Harty at a point where they expect him to be active, I think Sherfield will be active for ST and as a short route target with good RAC

So the 5th WR will be a contest between Shakir and Shorter.  We'll see I guess.....

And then there's the point we may want to roll with 3 active TE and 1 less WR if we're viewing our new TE as a "big slot"

At this point, I think he'll be a competition for game-day inactive with Shakir, and the 2nd year guy def. has an advantage.  But as a big vertical threat, I really like the pick.  "Steel sharpens steel".

Beane already called Harty the WR4 meaning he can play inside or outside. While I’m excited about him, he’s had issues staying on the field.

currently it’s:

Diggs

Davis

______
Harty

Shakir, Sherfield and Shorter all have a shot 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if anyone else is tracking this, but the Bills are adding size, which is a good thing.  Slot receiver Kincaid.  Monster sized guard.  Tall WR.  Now, about that LB...  The Bills are making a bold move not having a true MLB on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Bills two pass catchers selected in the 2023 NFL Draft (Justin Shorter and Dalton Kincaid) COMBINED to drop three passes over the course of the last two years.

So now we have 3 TE's who are great pass catchers ........

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Beane already called Harty the WR4 meaning he can play inside or outside. While I’m excited about him, he’s had issues staying on the field.

currently it’s:

Diggs

Davis

______
Harty

He's calling the 3rd Outside X WR "WR4" with the Slot being WR3. It seems from Beane's words, Harty is not being looked at as a Slot - but as an outside Deep threat.

There's no way we paid Harty what we paid him for him to be behind Sherfield and Shorter on the depth chart and Shakir is a slot.

The slot will be covered by Dalton Kincaid and Khalil Shakir. Harty will be the 3rd X behind Gabe Davis and depending on how both perform, it could be more of a 2A/2B situation.

Sherfield and Shorter will be cycled in at the 5th and 6th spots at WR on the 53, performing mainly on Special Teams unless there's an injury.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Why do you think he won't make 53? If I am not mistaken our 5th rounds picks (almost?) always make roster, and right now he is WR6 with ST ability (which we tend to have every year IIRC, last year it was Kumerow).

Not saying he's a lock but I do expect him to make 53 right now.

Because I just think at this point with the help he needs with Routes and all. I think it is an uphill climb with what we have. That’s all. He could come in and shine. Just trying to project what I saw in him to Bills to give everyone a little insight. 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

currently it’s:

Diggs

Davis

______
Harty

I'm thinking Sherfield is gonna be our #5, Kumerow replacement:

1) he can block downfield and in the backfield as a WR,

2) didn't he played the "personal protector" role for Miami? and despite the "butt fumble" kick in the EZ (not his fault) he did well.  He's fast (4.45) despite being solid-looking.  he might be able to play Gunner.  We have 3 ST roles up for grabs (personal protector and 2 gunners)

3) short passes and YAC

What I'm thinking is that this guy maybe competing with Davis, and would hopefully give us a good back up option for that outside guy.

I think that ______, in terms of playing time, is going to be 65% Kincaid with a smattering of Shakir, Harty, and maybe Hines.

But that's just my premature "crystal ball" here

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.