RD 5, Pick 150: WR Justin Shorter, Florida

Chandler#81

2 hours ago, par73 said:

He was a bust with two major college programs. May have been available as a FA. This after the baffling Williams pick.

He wasn’t a bust.  He played with crappy QBs at UF that couldn’t hit an intermediate route with accuracy or timing.  Speaking of, I can’t believe Richardson went 4th overall. This guy has the physical talent and is a solid blocking WR and hasn’t ever played with a decent QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm guessing he's calling the 3rd Outside X WR "WR4" with the Slot being WR3. It seems from Beane's words, Harty is not being looked at as a Slot - but as an outside Deep threat.

I didn't take that from what Beane said at all - I agree they aren't looking at Harty as the primary slot, but traditionally #4 was the "gadget guy" - McKenzie's role prior to 2022, the Gadget guy who runs jet sweeps and reverses, played from the slot where he gets a free release, ran deep crossers.

Outside deep threat - wouldn't you think he'd get jammed and held at 5'7", 170?

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The catching technique doesn't look ideal in that video, but he apparently only has 1 drop on 114 targets over the past two seasons. If it works it works.

yeah. He’s almost trapping that thing on those twitter highlights. Whatever coach him up I guess he’s a late 5th round pick. If he can figure out catch mechanics he could be very good

30 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Looks like he has good speed, but doesn’t seem to create separation.  Good blocker.  Probably great at jump balls.  I like it.  Why not take a gamble on a physical specimen in the 5th round?

This exactly!  Lots of peeps complain about this regime not taking chances on physical specimens with huge upside.  Love a pick like this in the 5th!  

Dudes a beast and if we’re lucky, he shows out. Imagine him, Knox, Kincaid, and Diggs lined up. Would be silly trying to cover all of that. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I didn't take that from what Beane said at all - I agree they aren't looking at Harty as the primary slot, but traditionally #4 was the "gadget guy" - McKenzie's role prior to 2022, the Gadget guy who runs jet sweeps and reverses, played from the slot where he gets a free release, ran deep crossers.

Outside deep threat - wouldn't you think he'd get jammed and held at 5'7", 170?

If you watch his highlights from 2021, he was working on the outside in that role quite a bit. Beane even said when we signed him that he sees him more of an Outside WR than Slot.

Maybe he moves inside and out. But there's no way we paid him what we paid him when we paid him for him to be declared behind Sherfield (a guy we paid a 1 year 1.7m dollar deal after the 2nd wave of FA) and Shorter (a late 5th Round developmental prospect).

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

my grade was 6th rounder with biggest thing I have written alot can he separate. questions.

think a more athletic Kumerow here. I have better six speed candidates on my list. 

So who would you have preferred at that spot?

21 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If you watch his highlights from 2021, he was working on the outside in that role quite a bit. Beane even said when we signed him that he sees him more of an Outside WR than Slot.

Maybe he moves inside and out. But there's no way we paid him what we paid him when we paid him for him to be declared behind Sherfield (a guy we paid a 1 year 1.7m dollar deal after the 2nd wave of FA) and Shorter (a late 5th Round developmental prospect).

Where did I say he would be behind Sherfield?  Sherfield is #5.

As I said, I didn't take the message "we see him more as an outside WR than slot" from what Beane said when we signed Harty.  He said nice things about his ability to track the ball downfield, doesn't make him an outside WR.

I defer to what you saw if you watched him in 2021, but I have questions about how he can release and separate from "sticky" coverage on a routine basis,  I assume the highlights are gonna be the "ooohs" and "aaahs" plays, but they may not represent snap to snap.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

He wasn’t a bust.  He played with crappy QBs at UF that couldn’t hit an intermediate route with accuracy or timing.  Speaking of, I can’t believe Richardson went 4th overall. This guy has the physical talent and is a solid blocking WR and hasn’t ever played with a decent QB. 

I haven't watched too many games on him yet, but from what I saw in the couple I did watch, and from gathering other opinions as well, it seems as though there were a lot of plays left on the field for this guy because of bad QB play or a breakdown in other areas at times.  Will have to watch more, but those are some impressions I have already taken away.  Can't wait to do a little more work on him.  

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Did they cover this on TV? ESPN seems to be chatting about each pick. 

In a random Bills segment they talked about him as being an underwhelming WR given his traits but as having all the potential in the world.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Thanks for posting this. I am very impressed. Just like with Shakir last year. They are different, but I really like them both and will root for them a lot.

Apparently he didn't realize his potential on college from some reason but he seems mentally tough and dedicated to football.

4 hours ago, Srw1525 said:

He’s a reach. Has a history though of dropping balls. Time will tell.

I thought I read that last year, though, he did not drop one ball.

This true?

If so, I think it is an excellent late pick--big, good hands, and a big play receiver.

Rated best wide receiver prospect in country out of high school.

21 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I thought I read that last year, though, he did not drop one ball.

This true?

If so, I think it is an excellent late pick--big, good hands, and a big play receiver.

Rated best wide receiver prospect in country out of high school.

6 drops in 177 targets isnt exactly a drop issue

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Justin Shorter verses AT Perry both 6’4”.

Bills take Shorter in the 5th

Saints gets Perry in the 6th

The yards, catches, touchdowns all favor Perry, the combine also favors Perry.

One key difference the Bills must be banking on is Shorter is 30 pounds heavier at the same height. 

and built like a greek god muscular wise

4 hours ago, Srw1525 said:

He’s a reach. Has a history though of dropping balls. Time will tell.

So he will fit right in.😂

2 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Brady made history taking washups and failures and making them all stars.  Josh can do the same

4 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

So he will fit right in.😂

for the last time in this thread

He does NOT have an issue with drops

The Bills two pass catchers selected in the 2023 NFL Draft (Justin Shorter and Dalton Kincaid) COMBINED to drop three passes over the course of the last two years.

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

for the last time in this thread

He does NOT have an issue with drops

The Bills two pass catchers selected in the 2023 NFL Draft (Justin Shorter and Dalton Kincaid) COMBINED to drop three passes over the course of the last two years.

So, what you’re saying is they DO drop passes! I knew it! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's calling the 3rd Outside X WR "WR4" with the Slot being WR3. It seems from Beane's words, Harty is not being looked at as a Slot - but as an outside Deep threat.

There's no way we paid Harty what we paid him for him to be behind Sherfield and Shorter on the depth chart and Shakir is a slot.

The slot will be covered by Dalton Kincaid and Khalil Shakir. Harty will be the 3rd X behind Gabe Davis and depending on how both perform, it could be more of a 2A/2B situation.

Sherfield and Shorter will be cycled in at the 5th and 6th spots at WR on the 53, performing mainly on Special Teams unless there's an injury.

I'm betting that it comes down to how Shakir and Harty end up fitting that will decide who is doing what.  You add Kincaid and there is too many

different possibilities to sort out now.  Camp will be interesting!

Diggs and Davis start as WR1 and WR2.

Sherfield is the WR5.  Shorter starts at WR6.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm betting that it comes down to how Shakir and Harty end up fitting that will decide who is doing what.  You add Kincaid and there is too many

different possibilities to sort out now.  Camp will be interesting!

Diggs and Davis start as WR1 and WR2.

Sherfield is the WR5.  Shorter starts at WR6.

That much is certain - Diggs and Davis are 1 and 2 on the outside (barring any unlikely Hopkins trade) and Sherfield and Shorter fill out the bottom of the 53 as Outside X's and Shakir as the 3rd Slot.

Harty has the versatility to play Outside and Inside. I get the feeling he'll be cycled in and out between Diggs and Davis on the Outside and Kincaid on the Inside depending on the package. And be the first to start if there's injuries on either side.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Beane sure seems to talk about Shorter like he’s making the 53. 

A Hopkins trade could change things, but Hopkins doesn’t play ST’s and they clearly envision Shorter as a core ST’s guy and big WR to develop behind Gabe. 

The UDFA WR is also a wild card given reports he’s a monster gunner. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That much is certain - Diggs and Davis are 1 and 2 on the outside (barring any unlikely Hopkins trade) and Sherfield and Shorter fill out the bottom of the 53 as Outside X's and Shakir as the 3rd Slot.

Harty has the versatility to play Outside and Inside. I get the feeling he'll be cycled in and out between Diggs and Davis on the Outside and Kincaid on the Inside depending on the package. And be the first to start if there's injuries on either side.

I kind of think your right, as of now.  Things could really change up if Shakir is improved.  It would be a great problem to have.

I would have preferred some of the other WR’s on the board but this seems like a case of the Bills drafting an athlete and hoping to take a year or two to develop him. 

Shorter certainly is a tremendous athlete. Great build and good speed for his size. But for various reasons he never put together consistent production in the NCAA. 

Hopefully the Bills coaches know how to take his raw tools and turn him into a good pro. Likely won’t see the field much his rookie year unless it is ST but still as a WR6 having a guy with that athletic profile is not a bad thing.

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Beane sure seems to talk about Shorter like he’s making the 53. 

A Hopkins trade could change things, but Hopkins doesn’t play ST’s and they clearly envision Shorter as a core ST’s guy and big WR to develop behind Gabe. 

The UDFA WR is also a wild card given reports he’s a monster gunner. 

keep 7 WR’s

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's calling the 3rd Outside X WR "WR4" with the Slot being WR3. It seems from Beane's words, Harty is not being looked at as a Slot - but as an outside Deep threat.

There's no way we paid Harty what we paid him for him to be behind Sherfield and Shorter on the depth chart and Shakir is a slot.

The slot will be covered by Dalton Kincaid and Khalil Shakir. Harty will be the 3rd X behind Gabe Davis and depending on how both perform, it could be more of a 2A/2B situation.

Sherfield and Shorter will be cycled in at the 5th and 6th spots at WR on the 53, performing mainly on Special Teams unless there's an injury.

This is almost certainly correct. 

• Like (+1) 2

After watching him against LSU, I am surprised that the draft gurus had him rated so low.  Clear physical tools outstanding size and very good speed for that size.  41 catches in 2021, missed some games with injury in 22 but averaged 19+ per catch.  He is reportedly a special teams Gunner, as well.  Also, remember that Florida was floundering enough that they fired their coach after 2021.

For the 5th round, there appears to be plenty of talent to justify the pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

After watching him against LSU, I am surprised that the draft gurus had him rated so low.  Clear physical tools outstanding size and very good speed for that size.  41 catches in 2021, missed some games with injury in 22 but averaged 19+ per catch.  He is reportedly a special teams Gunner, as well.  Also, remember that Florida was floundering enough that they fired their coach after 2021.

For the 5th round, there appears to be plenty of talent to justify the pick.

Former #1 HS WR recruit over Waddle, Chase and St.Brown. physical tools are there, worth a flier. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He might not have a problem with drops (per the numbers) but he doesn't win contested catches like you expect from someone that big.  Saw it in two other places and ESPN put it in their article also.  If he's playing outside and can't out quick people and isn't sudden in space then he needs to win contested catches at that size and there are a lot of reports saying he doesn't do that very well.  Don't get me wrong, the pick is in and you have to love the one your with so hopefully our  scouts and coaches know what they are doing.  A 5th round pick for WR is a crapshoot anyways.  Who knows maybe he ends up at TE.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.