The Battle of a lifetime: Klein, Spector, Dodson, Bernard, Williams

NewEra

Who will be our Mike?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. This is nuts

Wth is McB doing at the Mike?? Who will win the job?  Will we add someone?  

I hope Spector can improve and take the job.  

does anyone think Williams is a true contender for the job in 2023?

At least we have Aj Klein as insurance in case none of these kids pan out

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

It's really just a competition between Klein, Spector and Dodson, which after last preseason I think Spector has a chance at winning. With McDermott calling the defense I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams or Bernard playing the "nickel" corner in run/pass situations. Hell, Williams has the size and speed to play safety. It's an interesting pick depending on how the coaching staff utilizes him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Whoever it is will have one of the easiest jobs of any MLB in the league. They’ll be playing behind a line that was very good against the run last year as well as an all-pro WLB, 2 all-pro safeties and a great slot CB making their life easier. The defense will be fine.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Klein will start but I agree with the thinking that it could be Milano with Williams outside by mid season. If these guys can actually make it a battle of a lifetime maybe we won't be as screwed as everyone thinks.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Absurd what they are doing at LB. Two third round picks in a row lit on fire. A team that runs nickel defense 90% of the time and we are gonna carry 25 LBs. And not have a single quality contender for the starting MLB job. 

this!!! Taron Johnson is already essentially the 3rd LB. We already have half the LB room being useless on gameday

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Wth is McB doing at the Mike?? Who will win the job?  Will we add someone?  

I hope Spector can improve and take the job.  

does anyone think Williams is a true contender for the job in 2023?

At least we have Aj Klein as insurance in case none of these kids pan out

Klein is the leader in a platoon, someone else gets the headset in the helmet 

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Maybe we run a lot of nickel and don’t have a true MLB out there a lot? 

No clue.  

But I do refuse to believe they are just ignoring it and hoping it won’t matter.  There has to be a plan 

McD thinks the dime is twice as good as a nickel 

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Klein/Dobson on run downs.

Bernard/ Williams on passing downs

Great. If rotating DL wasn’t enough. Now we’re wasting extra spots on LB to rotate 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Klein will start but I agree with the thinking that it could be Milano with Williams outside by mid season. If these guys can actually make it a battle of a lifetime maybe we won't be as screwed as everyone thinks.

... could ... if ... maybe ...

Exactly.    

Otherwise ... 

27 minutes ago, Process said:

Absurd what they are doing at LB. Two third round picks in a row lit on fire. A team that runs nickel defense 90% of the time and we are gonna carry 25 LBs. And not have a single quality contender for the starting MLB job. 

Seems they think they do. Decided they would load up on O and try to win 38-31 .. since having a top 3 D didn’t work. Think of a LB in the current nfl who really shuts down the best O’s ? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

... could ... if ... maybe ...

Exactly.    

Otherwise ... 

Our LBers could have sucked if we hadn't elected to bolster our depth so maybe we should put a little trust in McD who has demonstrated a history of knowing what he's doing on that side of the ball.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Process said:

At least we didn't take another DT with our first pick.

Baby steps.

5 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Seems they think they do. Decided they would load up on O and try to win 38-31 .. since having a top 3 D didn’t work. Think of a LB in the current nfl who really shuts down the best O’s ? 

I could care less about who are starting lb is. Loading up on offense is the way to go. My problem is continuously wasting day 2 picks on special teams players. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Total waste of a pick @NewEra  complete head scratcher. I’m going with Dodson. Most of These other clowns won’t even dress on game day. 

i love his speed, coverage and tackling ability.  I’m just not sure if he processes fast enough to avoid getting swallowed. I think he has a spot in the league and will get better with time.  Just don’t know if he’s starting Mike material in 2023, if ever

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Process said:

We should have made a harder push for Wagner or Lavonte David in FA. I’m scared shitless about our situation at LB. Not to mention Von probably won’t be available early on so where is the pass rush coming from? 

3 hours ago, VW82 said:

AJ will begin the season as the Mike.  Williams might occassionally rotate in as a situational pass rusher (olb) and eventually Matt will take over.  Unless an udfa comes out of nowhere?  I have no faith that Dotson, Bernard or Spector play much.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

No clue.  

But I do refuse to believe they are just ignoring it and hoping it won’t matter.  There has to be a plan 

it has been suggested that we could run a 3 safety dime, Milano take over the play calling while rotating in a second or third LB when needed. Significant scheme change is coming one way or another. 

• Like (+1) 2

Fwiw- Joe Marino destroyed this pick.  He’s supremely disappointed.  

So am I.  

Beane said they’re starting him out as an outside LB and will compete to be Milanos backup and ST-  🤦🏻‍♂️ round 3- after taking Bernard in rd 3 last year- 🤦🏻‍♂️ Spencer Brown the year before 🤦🏻‍♂️ Zack Moss the year before that 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

sheesh

Thankfully - we also drafted Kincaid and Torrance

3 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

If he's healthy maybe we can bring Zach Cunningham in on a cheap prove it deal...

Cunningham on run downs and rapp on passing downs

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

No clue.  

Yes.  The guys they drafted before to play LB will play LB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think as it sits right now:

Dodson comes into camp as the starter. They like him and he's been in the system a few years. He's the safety net if no one else steps up.

Bernard is the guy that will get first crack to unseat him. He's who they HOPE will come in and take the job away from Dodson. That's why they took him last year.

Spector is a wild card. AJK is here right now if we sustain injury at the position. Wouldn't shock me to see him a roster cut/on the PS when all is said and done if Bernard and or Spector take a step forward.

Williams is starting out at OLB. 

I don't know why this is still shocking to anyone. They have said all along they like the LB room and feel Edmunds replacement is already on the roster. 

6 hours ago, VW82 said:

Our LBers could have sucked if we hadn't elected to bolster our depth so maybe we should put a little trust in McD who has demonstrated a history of knowing what he's doing on that side of the ball.

How do you know that our LBs still don't suck apart from Milano?

Most have already been on the team and haven't been good.  I'm expecting a serious regression in our defense this season.  

All I did was quote the comment.  

Edited by PBF81

8 hours ago, boyst said:

Milano moves to the middle. Klein plays traditional MLB spot when needed to start season but Milano is the only answer. It ain't Williams.

Someone please flag this for a receipt. I will demand apologies.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.