The Battle of a lifetime: Klein, Spector, Dodson, Bernard, Williams

NewEra

Who will be our Mike?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. This is nuts

On 4/28/2023 at 10:19 PM, oldmanfan said:

They are not moving Milano anywhere.

I mean seriously.  See the "should we move Milano?" thread.  Both Beane and McDermott have been asked that question and said "no, we like Milano as our matchup linebacker" and people come up with all kinds of notions why he really means something else and that's just "coachspeak" and blah blah.

I think the long-term plan is Williams, but McDermott and Beane don't want to put too much pressure on him

Nick Veronica wrote a pretty good piece where he captures and transcribes about everything Beane has had to say on the subject

https://www.wivb.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-middle-linebacker-competition-bernard-dodson-spector-williams-klein/

Beane made an interesting comment about the linebacker battle while discussing Williams. He indicated Dodson is thought of as having the lead at the moment, given his experience in the defensive system.

“Separate of A.J. (Klein), Dodson has the most experience here. He’s got the most reps in the system,” Beane said. “So today you’d probably have to say he’s the leader in the clubhouse. But these other guys, the second-year guys, Bernard and Spector, are working hard knowing their opportunity, and we got Dorian in here today. We’ll get him up to speed as quick as we can. And when we get to camp, we’ll know by then whether we’re going to truly give him a chance at that MIKE or whether we’ll just say, ‘Hey, Year 1, just learn the outside.’”

Note: Veronica missed noting a game where Dodson didn't start at MLB, but played the majority of the snaps after Edmunds was injured.  He had I believe 2 tackles in that game.

Beane on how the linebacker room looks after the draft: “Starting with Bernard, you know he’ll definitely get a chance to compete for that MIKE spot. So, he’ll do that. Spector will get a chance at that. Tyrel will get a chance for that. We know A.J. can play in there, Klein, or play outside. Obviously Matt’s going to be an outside-only guy and Dorian, we’ll see. We’re not ruling it out. We’re still talking about maybe we’ll look at him as a guy to get in there and compete at MIKE. We’ve just got to see how much we can get him caught up to what it takes to run this defense. It’ll be a big transition for him. Great young man. He’s eager to try it. We’ll see. Worst case though he would be an outside ‘backer for us this year and then we’ll see next year. But yeah, all those guys that you mentioned, Bernard, Spector, Dodson, are all going to get to get in there and compete for that MIKE linebacker starting role.”

Beane on where new draft pick Dorain Williams fits, and similarities to Bernard: “I would say Dorian is … going to be a little bit faster, a little bit more speed. Bernard made a lot of plays at Baylor off his instinct, feel, knowing where to be. He’s probably more in that A.J. Klein mold when he came out of Iowa State. Maybe not as athletic as Tremaine was coming out. But just super instinctive. Size is one thing, but instincts, feel all that stuff. And so we’ll see where Dorian is. But he made a lot of tackles.”

My interpretation of this is Beane really wants to see Williams win the job,but also doesn't want to "set him up" to fail by expecting too much too quickly.

Overall, this is one of the most careful assessments of the LB possibilities that I've seen, worth a read.

My personal take on Dodson is that he played MLB very well against the run, but was "lost in space" vs. coverage.  This is why he racked up a nice tally of "thumps" when playing against Pittsburgh and Cleveland, but not so much against the Vikes where he played 64% of the snaps.  Now - he came in cold and likely did NOT see starter reps against the scout team that week, but that's my overall take on Dodson, he's become a solid run defender at MLB but he's not so good vs coverage.  It's an air traffic control problem that's just kind of a mystery to him.

It probably means something that against Detroit, Klein started ahead of Dodson at MLB after being back on the team only a week.

I think they like Bernard's instincts and potential, but are disappointed with what they've seen so far (thus the decision to draft Williams).  In his limited playing time when he got there he "played small" (as Cosell said) and didn't seal the deal.  This isn't a size thing; Poyer, Hamlin, and Taron Johnson are smaller, but they "thump", when they tackle, the guy knows he's been hit.  I recall Bernard just getting trucked.

• Agree 1

SAM - Bernard and Klein

MIKE - Dodson, Spector, Mata (Williams by year end

Will - Milano, Williams 

The last 3 years Johnson has played 77%, 85%, and 92% of the defensive snaps. I can see that number dropping down. Asking him to basically play LB at 192 pounds seems to have caught up with the team. 

Buffalo has only been a base nickel defense for 2-3 years, basically when AJ Klein was originally signed and really struggled bad in coverage. Team was a base 4-3 in the early years of the McDefense and in Carolina. 

I think we see a return to the roots this year. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

When Tom Donahoe let Pat Williams sign with the Vikings, he said "we believe we have his replacement on the roster".

They didn't. 

The hope was the 3rd round selection from a year earlier, Ron Edwards, would step right in, but he couldn't.   Flop.

I know Tre Edmunds is no Pat Williams but I don't like the "already on the roster" gambit

Edited by CNYfan

I get Bernard was a little bit of a reach. I get he had training wheels on all last season, mainly playing ST's, and not looking like a Rookie who had it all figured out Day 1.

But y'all are out of pocket voting for Baylon Spector more than Bernard. The competition is really Bernard v. Klein v. Dodson. And more likely either Bernard shows he's ready or they just go with the safe option in Klein.

Williams is going to try training at both positions and Beane said if that's too much for him, they'll have him focus on OLB. Doubt with how McDermott brings Rookies along he'll be in the conversation to start at MLB in Training Camp. But who knows, maybe he'll look undeniable.

Either way, barring injuries, I don't even see Spector making the 53. We keep 5 LB's, 6 max on the active roster. And I don't see a spot for him with Milano, Bernard, Williams, Klein, Dodson, and Matakevitch (Core ST's) all above him.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, CNYfan said:

When Tom Donahoe let Pat Williams sign with the Vikings, he said "we believe we have his replacement on the roster".

They didn't. 

The hope was the 3rd round selection from a year earlier, Ron Edwards, would step right in, but he couldn't.   Flop.

I know Tre Edmunds is no Pat Williams but I don't like the "already on the roster" gambit

I Hear You.  A more recent example was releasing Cole Beasley and believing some combo of Crowder, McKenzie, and/or 5th round pick Shakir could take his place. Crowder had played the role with the Jets, McKenzie had looked very good as an injury fill-in, so it should have worked OK. To be fair, the options got thinner when Crowder broke his leg.

But, in this instance, the Bills appear to have allowed even more options: Klein, who played MLB in Carolina and filled-in here.  Dodson, who has played MLB as a fill-in here.  Last year's 3rd round pick Bernard.  This year's 3rd round pick Williams.  and late round pick Spector as the "dark horse".

It's worth noting that McDermott managed to achieve #18 D on points in 2017 with Preston Brown (MLB), Ramon Humber, and Zo Alexander as his linebackers

I feel and have heard that the competition will be for all except Klein . It has been said that Klein already knows the majority of the D & has filled in honorably for Edmunds in the past so he is more of a incase of emergency break the glass veteran which i feel was a really good get .

The main comp will be to see if the younger players can grasp the D and see just how well they can & IMHO work through the beginning of the season to see how well they have learned it to say mid season land the full time starting position all while Klein helps them along .

Good strategy if that is what McD & Beane have in mind . I think McD will have the D a bit different from Frazier too it should prove to be -

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.