Von Miller-I feel great and positive that I'll be ready to go early in the season

dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Yeah, but thats just Von.   

As I said elsewhere, he tore his ACL at the same point of the 2013 season (game 10) and was an all pro the next season. Didn't miss a game. And it's not like he had a catastrophic tear this time around. It was the opposite. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CoffeeDrip said:

I’d rather he miss a few early games to make sure we have him when it really matters - December to February 

I dunno - the AFC east is going to be tougher and they need to win the division first. And that means piling up wins throughout the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

As I said elsewhere, he tore his ACL at the same point of the 2013 season (game 10) and was an all pro the next season. Didn't miss a game. And it's not like he had a catastrophic tear this time around. It was the opposite. 

He wasn't 34 years old in 2013 though.  Tre White in his prime was a shell of himself coming back last year and came back way later than he or anyone else expected too.  

So while I remain hopeful, I am also not banking on a 34 year old to recover the same he did when he was in his early 20's or be the same player after injury either.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He wasn't 34 years old in 2013 though.  Tre White in his prime was a shell of himself coming back last year and came back way later than he or anyone else expected too.  

So while I remain hopeful, I am also not banking on a 34 year old to recover the same he did when he was in his early 20's or be the same player after injury either.  

White had a different injury. I know they both had "acl tears," but from what I read White sustained more damage than a simple tear - he had significant meniscus damage. Miller and the doctors didn't even know his injury was a tear until a couple of weeks later. Anyway, he's older, but he's still obviously elite. He was one of the best DEs in the league last before getting hurt. Call me crazy, but I fully expect him to be playing at a high level very early on next season. I don't think the injuries are as comparable as one might think, and anyway for Miller it's clearly not presenting mental hurdles (as it did for White).

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think he's referring to the fact that Von didn't think he'd miss more than 1 game when he originally injured it, hence the that's just Von.

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Von has toxic positivity!  It’s a good sign he’s practicing w/o a brace though I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start the season on PUP

His message has been consistent since about 10 days after surgery when he was on the Pat Mcafee show. Doctors told him he should be back by August and he was hoping to beat that time frame.

Apparently a 2nd ACL surgery is easier if holes that were drilled in your bone are still in good shape and can be reused. They were, per Von. He said it cuts down on recovery time and rehab can be accelerated because you don't have to wait for the bone to heal up.

He also said he didn't use a brace or crutches after the 1st few days and was walking up and down stairs in a week with a normal gait. Something that did not happen after his 1st ACL surgery.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

At this moment- I hope von just takes his time.  Just be healthy for the playoffs. Considering our schedule and the improvements in the AFCE, we may not even make the playoffs without him. We

may need him to come back somewhat early 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Von is 10 years older, so I do think that while Von won't miss as much time and take as long as Tre did to come back I do think that him not missing any games AND picking up right where he left off is unlikely. I suspect that at worst Von will start on the PUP list and miss the first 6 games and take a few games to round into form. Which honestly would be a good scanario. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

White had a different injury. I know they both had "acl tears," but from what I read White sustained more damage than a simple tear - he had significant meniscus damage. Miller and the doctors didn't even know his injury was a tear until a couple of weeks later. Anyway, he's older, but he's still obviously elite. He was one of the best DEs in the league last before getting hurt. Call me crazy, but I fully expect him to be playing at a high level very early on next season. I don't think the injuries are as comparable as one might think, and anyway for Miller it's clearly not presenting mental hurdles (as it did for White).

I get what you are saying, and not saying Von is doomed.  But, an ACL tear is an ACL tear.  As far as Tre goes, not sure the meniscus had much to do with his delayed return and sub par play once he returned.  I had a meniscus surgery and went on a bar hopping bike ride for 18 miles just 20 days after surgery.  

Totally get why you still see Von is elite based on last season, but if we are being honest, a lot of that was front loaded in the first part of the season.  Von only had 2 sacks and 9 tackles in his last 5 games before getting hurt.  Not sure I would refer to that stretch of 5 games as elite level production.  He certainly looked elite at times, especially earlier in the season.  But as the season wore on, his impact lessened and I remember some games where a lot of us were wondering why he wasn't showing up more. 

So for me, its a lot to ask to expect any 34 year old DE to come back and still be consistently at an elite level over a season and playoffs.  To expect one coming off an ACL injury to be elite still at age 34 is an even bigger ask.  And to think he can get that injury in week 10 and then be back at an elite level to start the season feels like a stretch.

I am rooting for Von, so fingers crossed he beats the odds and can get back to being at an elite level for us this year.  But I definitely think bringing him along slow using PUP list and getting into form and having fresh legs ahead of playoffs is the better plan than trying to get him out there as soon as possible.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

I hope he is right but 34 coming off the injury he had I don't see him coming back early in the season. Hoping he can dominate in the playoffs which is when we really need him.

Yeah, I have to agree. This contract is going to age poorly but the goal is to win a SB so I completely get it. Hopefully some of the young guys are learning From him. Maybe we load management him like the nba.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I am hopeful for von, of course but I keep on hearing this thing about well. It wasn’t so bad this time ACL tears or ACL tears. The procedure for fixing them is the same whether it’s a complete tear or a partial tear.

You could say that there’s a positive that it’s happened before, so he knew what to expect in the rehab I guess

45 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get what you are saying, and not saying Von is doomed.  But, an ACL tear is an ACL tear.  As far as Tre goes, not sure the meniscus had much to do with his delayed return and sub par play once he returned.  I had a meniscus surgery and went on a bar hopping bike ride for 18 miles just 20 days after surgery.  

Totally get why you still see Von is elite based on last season, but if we are being honest, a lot of that was front loaded in the first part of the season.  Von only had 2 sacks and 9 tackles in his last 5 games before getting hurt.  Not sure I would refer to that stretch of 5 games as elite level production.  He certainly looked elite at times, especially earlier in the season.  But as the season wore on, his impact lessened and I remember some games where a lot of us were wondering why he wasn't showing up more. 

So for me, its a lot to ask to expect any 34 year old DE to come back and still be consistently at an elite level over a season and playoffs.  To expect one coming off an ACL injury to be elite still at age 34 is an even bigger ask.  And to think he can get that injury in week 10 and then be back at an elite level to start the season feels like a stretch.

I am rooting for Von, so fingers crossed he beats the odds and can get back to being at an elite level for us this year.  But I definitely think bringing him along slow using PUP list and getting into form and having fresh legs ahead of playoffs is the better plan than trying to get him out there as soon as possible.  

I will say this about the latter part of the games he was in — he had what seemed like 62 pressures on Jacoby brisset but never got to him. He just missed about 5 times and I am not exaggerating. Regardless, he was ragdollling his opponent on play after play in that game.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I will say this about the latter part of the games he was in — he had what seemed like 62 pressures on Jacoby brisset but never got to him. He just missed about 5 times and I am not exaggerating. Regardless, he was ragdollling his opponent on play after play in that game.

One thing that you can’t deny is that whenever Vaughn was on the field, groot was really getting there, and when we lost von groot d production died off

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I just think Von falls in that category (diff dude). I also noticed the production, but feel that he just turns it on in big games, like the Opener and against KC. I had zero doubts about his impact, when needed. I felt like our season was over when he went down.

11 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I just think Von falls in that category (diff dude). I also noticed the production, but feel that he just turns it on in big games, like the Opener and against KC. I had zero doubts about his impact, when needed. I felt like our season was over when he went down.

They won 6 in a row without him.  7 if you include the one where he was injured before halftime.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

34 yr Olds bodies aren't the same as 20yr olds... unless you use hgh bpc157 and tb500 lol which he hopefully is

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, I have to agree. This contract is going to age poorly but the goal is to win a SB so I completely get it. Hopefully some of the young guys are learning From him. Maybe we load management him like the nba.

As time passes, I tend to think getting Von will be a mistake. He's old and has a lot of mileage on him.

Of course, he's elite when he plays. However, he hardly plays. Do you really want to invest in a guy that's on a pitch count? However, I do like the all in attitude. Too bad, that wasn't the case for the offense. An AJ Brown , CMC, or Tyreke would have looked good in a Bills uniform. 

As far as Von teaching the young guys. Just look at the Cinci game and ask yourself how did the young guys do. They sucked to be blunt. Von was no where to be found after he was injuried. Not on the sidelines or in the locker room. Some leadership there...I'm not buying what he's selling. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 2

I don't buy the common sentiment in this thread that he should be 'saved' for time towards the end of the season and playoffs. This is a league in which each of the 17 regular season games has tremendous impact on home field or even if they qualify for post season. The division is getting stronger and I think it's mistake to assume the Bills are a shoe-in to make the playoffs. 

A few seasons back there was a lot of competition in the conference and the Pats missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record. The Bills may be fighting to get to 10 wins this coming season with what appears to be a challenging schedule.

If Von feels ready and is cleared by the medical staff, I want him on the field no matter how early in the season it is. I don't want to 'save him'. I want the Bills to go all out every game. One loss in September can make a huge difference come January.  Their talent on their edge is already average or possibly a little below.

The Bills were a bad snap away against Minnesota from having home field last year, though considering the mental state following Damar, not sure it would have made any difference.

Hope to see # 40 out there on opening day.

Edited by SoMAn
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I don't buy the common sentiment in this thread that he should be 'saved' for time towards the end of the season and playoffs. This is a league in which each of the 17 regular season games has tremendous impact on home field or even if they qualify for post season. The division is getting stronger and I think it's mistake to assume the Bills are a shoe-in to make the playoffs. 

In a season in which there was a lot of competition in the conference, the Pats missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record.

If Von feels ready and is cleared by the medical staff, I want him on the field no matter how early in the season it is. I don't want to 'save him'. I want the Bills to go all out every game. One loss in September can make a huge difference come January.  Their talent on their edge is already average or possibly a little below.

The Bills were a bad snap away against Minnesota from having home field last year, though considering the mental state following Damar, not sure it would have made any difference.

Hope to see # 40 out there on opening day.

I hope to see him too....high 5in Jack Campbell!😉

Just took a peak at spotrac.  Miller’s cap hit jumps from 8mil in 2023 to 24mil in 2024.  Good luck with the Bills cap situation being any better next season. 

Beane better find a way to hit a few home runs in the draft next week. 

Edited by LabattBlue

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

As time passes, I tend to think getting Von will be a mistake. He's old and has a lot of mileage on him.

Of course, he's elite when he plays. However, he hardly plays. Do you really want to invest in a guy that's on a pitch count? However, I do like the all in attitude. Too bad, that wasn't the case for the offense. An AJ Brown , CMC, or Tyreke would have looked good in a Bills uniform. 

As far as Von teaching the young guys. Just look at the Cinci game and ask yourself how did the young guys do. They sucked to be blunt. Von was no where to be found after he was injuried. Not on the sidelines or in the locker room. Some leadership there...I'm not buying what he's selling. 

I agree. I'm just tired of investing in a defense that just doesn't step up in the playoffs.  $100M buys a ton of offensive firepower.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree. I'm just tired of investing in a defense that just doesn't step up in the playoffs.  $100M buys a ton of offensive firepower.

So you want to be the Saints?  They squandered the prime of Brees career because they had absolutely nothing on defense.  How is Sean Payton just 1 game above .500 in the playoffs with Drew Brees has his QB in a consistent weak NFC South?

The Bills defense has played well and played like crap in the playoffs.  But lets not act that Mahomes isn't incredible.  

Von Miller was great for our defense.  He went down, our pass rush went down.  If he can remain healthy all year next year, he will be dominant again.  He's different.  He's not your regular 34 year old.  You have some players who dedicate themselves to the game and keep in great shape like the Charles Woodson's, Bruce Smith's, Cam Wake's, Larry Fitzgerald's etc....Von's one of them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I mean fans won’t like this but it’s true. He was kinda going down hill for a little bit before he had a nice end of the season with the Rams. Injuries don’t get better with age. However if he stays healthy, he can be a difference maker. But that contest might be an anchor going forward. 

21 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think the hope was he would take the defense to the next level. This regime has been really, really good. But they have been bad on drafting d linemen. Would have been gray if we drafted a stud pass rusher and had Von’s money to invest in other positions. Let’s just hope he can stay healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Was going to start a post about Diggs not showing up which isn't a big deal to me.

What's interesting is that Von made a statement in his presser about being in the building and earning the respect of teammates by being present. 

Probably not a shot at Diggs but a slight coincidence 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.