Benford is our next strong safety

Success

30 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

By the time the playoffs come around, he'll be a veteran at the position. 

Go draft offense.   All playoff games will be shootouts anyway.   Let's make sure we can win that way.   Philly had a monster defense and it got smoked.

Ya but the bigger question is what if he isn’t good at the position? As he’s never played it before. Then you got a major hole lol.

I am not saying draft one.

I am saying just bring in a low cost Vet for 2-3 mil to compete with him. (That’s nothing and it’s a bit of a security blanket)

13 hours ago, Success said:

Not sure if this is worth its own thread, but I've seen quite a bit of discussion about the need to draft a safety early, assuming that Poyer won't be a Bill this season.

Benford has the measurables & the skllls that are needed.  He would be a backup for years if he stays at CB on this team.  He's too good to just be a backup, and I think he could have a very successful transition to SS w/ the right coaching.

My heart will sink a bit if I see the Bills draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd round (or even the 3rd), simply to replace Poyer.  They need to focus on the trenches. We have skilled players on the roster right now that can pick up the slack in the secondary.

Just my 2 cents.  

Agreed. I said this 5 minutes after we drafted him!!

i sort of fault Beane and McD for not moving him to safety immediately. Beane’s view after the draft was that it was easier to start him at CB. I disagree. At a minimum, they could have used the his time on IR to make the shift. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Success said:

Not sure if this is worth its own thread, but I've seen quite a bit of discussion about the need to draft a safety early, assuming that Poyer won't be a Bill this season.

Benford has the measurables & the skllls that are needed.  He would be a backup for years if he stays at CB on this team.  He's too good to just be a backup, and I think he could have a very successful transition to SS w/ the right coaching.

My heart will sink a bit if I see the Bills draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd round (or even the 3rd), simply to replace Poyer.  They need to focus on the trenches. We have skilled players on the roster right now that can pick up the slack in the secondary.

Just my 2 cents.  

What makes you so sure he becomes a competent safety THIS season? It isn't an automatic transformation. 

14 hours ago, Success said:

Just my 2 cents.  

Agreed. I felt this way when he was drafted. I think he's going to be pretty good back there.

• Like (+1) 1

If Benford is transitioning to safety then getting a FA to start for at least the beginning of the year is a good idea. It’s a position in flux due to Poyer (FA), along with Hyde and Hamlin’s injuries. I’d almost want to see a vet like Adrian Amos brought in on a 2-3 year deal to cover a Benford transition and possible injury to Hyde who may be gone after this upcoming season. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

Christian Benford is better than Tre White right now. So idk about all that buried on the depth chart stuff 

That's a strong statement.  Maybe true and maybe not.  Tre looked stuck in mud late last year.  Hopefully he can regain some his old form over the next 6 months.  I think you want your best players always on the field.  Assuming Poyer is not back, we have Hyde and then a mishmash left at the other safety position.  If Benford is better then White at CB in 2023, then put Tre at safety if he has anything left and start Benford and Elam at boundary corner.  And maybe Hamlin makes a great comeback and can be our 3rd safety.  But we still need a replacement when Hyde is done.  So we need another playmaker at safety either in free agency or the draft.    

2 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

What makes you so sure he becomes a competent safety THIS season? It isn't an automatic transformation. 

I'm not sure.  But if you're Beane, it's hard to cover all of the bases, and you have to roll the dice here & there.  You could say, Benford might not make the transition, so we have to draft a safety early 'just in case' - but then you're sacrificing the opportunity to fill another need that is more pressing.

I think if Hamlin can play again, and we can re-sign someone like Marlowe cheap, we have to roll w/ what we have. I could see drafting a safety in the later rounds, but the 1st few rounds are like precious gems this year. We have to hit on those picks, and they have to be targeted at positions that are clear needs.

16 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Perhaps it was just injuries, but he was buried in the depth chart at the end of the year. It was confusing to me because at the beginning of the year he was a Starter who seemed to be holding his own. Then when he came back from the hand injury, he couldn't get playing time over Tre, Kaiir, and Dane.

But re: the OP - I agree. If Damar can return and Benford is switched to Safety as alluded to, I really think that position could be covered. Maybe sign a cheap vet you think could work in the system and/or Draft a guy you like in the midrounds. But I don't see the need to select one in Round 1 or 2.

It was injuries.  He was playing between 40-60% of the snaps (95% when Elam was a healthy scratch) thru Thanksgiving.

Then he had an oblique injury and was on IR for 4 games, inactive coming off (which is not unexpected for a guy coming off IR and trying to get up to speed)

If you're banking on a 2nd year 6th round pick to make a position switch an immediately start at a high level, that's a pretty bold assertion. It would also create a hole in our CB group that would have to be replaced. Personally, I'd rather bring in a starter who is native to the position either via draft or FA while Benford learns the position, if that's indeed the plan.

5 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Rod and Charles woodson both did as well I beleive

Yes 100%. Aeneas Williams as well. But all those guys switched in the twilight of their careers, whereas Aaron, Hyde, and Poyer were slow corners who made the switch. 

Keep a lookout for those 4.55 corners in UFA and at the combine who could be potential safety converts. 

• Agree 1

Say what you will about McFrazier, but they are excellent at developing defensive backs. And they have already turned former CBs into one of the best safety tandems in the league (Poyer and Hyde). Benford is intriguing, but I'd still like to add one more safety in the offseason.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Success said:

Just my 2 cents.  

Benford a safety? Apparently very possible.

Benford, a guy who has never played the position, our next starting safety? Really really unlikely. I expect to see them bring in a safety, spending a pretty solid amount of resources on him, either cap money or a fairly high pick.

There should be a couple of players already on the roster that have contracts like Siran Neal that know the D & could fit in pretty quickly i would think he could also help Benford transition to that position but i think he would be a good one to fit in before the pre season starts to get acclimated to the scheme .

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

If you're banking on a 2nd year 6th round pick to make a position switch an immediately start at a high level, that's a pretty bold assertion. It would also create a hole in our CB group that would have to be replaced. Personally, I'd rather bring in a starter who is native to the position either via draft or FA while Benford learns the position, if that's indeed the plan.

I agree.  We saw Jaquon Johnson and Damar Hamlin try to play safety, and both of them had had a lot of time on the roster playing the position.  They didn't make me feel very good about them as the full-time safeties.   Expecting a corner back who played less than half as a season as a rookie to do it doesn't work for me. 

I've said all along that I think it's Taron Johnson, with one of the corners moving to be the slot corner.  Taron Johnson has a lot of experience on the field, and he's shown the intelligence to read and react that's required of the Bills' safeties.   He's also been durable, and he's a good hitter.   I'm guessing he's the guy.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  We saw Jaquon Johnson and Damar Hamlin try to play safety, and both of them had had a lot of time on the roster playing the position.  They didn't make me feel very good about them as the full-time safeties.   Expecting a corner back who played less than half as a season as a rookie to do it doesn't work for me. 

I've said all along that I think it's Taron Johnson, with one of the corners moving to be the slot corner.  Taron Johnson has a lot of experience on the field, and he's shown the intelligence to read and react that's required of the Bills' safeties.   He's also been durable, and he's a good hitter.   I'm guessing he's the guy.  

I wouldn't be against that. I think he has the right makeup for it too.

58 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I wouldn't be against that. I think he has the right makeup for it too.

Yeah, I think he's a natural.  

Slot corner the way the Bills play is essentially the third linebacker in a 4-3.  He blitzes, he covers the tight end, but he also has the ability to cover outside receivers.   The position requires toughness, cover skills, tackling ability, and perhaps most importantly the ability to read and react to what's happening on the field.   That's what the Bills expect of their safeties.  

Because safeties are the last line of defense, they are more important than slot corners.   If I'm going to put Benford or some other untested guy on the field, I'd put him at slot corner before I put him at safety. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Honestly didn't occur to me but it is a good thought. I have a tendency to say if something ain't broke, don' t fix it. I'm not sure Benford is twitchy enough for slot and more suited to boundary. But Taron is a beast on the LOS and in coverage. Worth a look. 

I don't recall seeing or reading Poyer as playing safety in college 🤔. He was a CB and a special teamer when he got drafted by Philly. And was CB4 and a punt returner. Don't think he played safety until the switch when he went to Cleveland. He seems to have worked out ok. Why not Benford? He has better measurables...

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I think Benford would do well in this role but he has never played the position before in NFL so the jury is still out.  Many of us (me included) thought that Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie could easily pick up the slack left from Sanders and Beasley and it didn’t happen.  So until we see Benford actually play safety I’ll be indifferent.  

I hope they don’t - but I could see the Bills still drafting a Safety in the draft, even with Benford in starting consideration because Hyde is a free agent in 2024 and will be in th same situation as Poyer at the end of next season.  

Of course it did, you must have missed it.

Sanders+Beasley= 1319 yds/91 catches/5 TDs

Davis+McKenzie= 1259/90/11

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

McDermott just said that the plan is for Benford to play Cornerback next season.

CB1 Tre White

CB2 Kaiir Elam

CB3/4 Dane Jackson

CB3/4 Christian Benford

That's a really high potential CB room, in both starter ability and depth.

If the plan is to keep Dane Jackson for multiple years, it would seem logical to move Benford to Safety given the comments Beane has made about him.  If not, I can see where keeping him at CB makes sense.  

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

CB1 Tre White

CB2 Kaiir Elam

CB3/4 Dane Jackson

CB3/4 Christian Benford

That's a really high potential CB room, in both starter ability and depth.

If the plan is to keep Dane Jackson for multiple years, it would seem logical to move Benford to Safety given the comments Beane has made about him.  If not, I can see where keeping him at CB makes sense.  

I’m not sure Jackson is back. He is an RFA and the tender is 2.6 million. For what he provides as a depth corner, I just think it is too pricey when they are pinching pennies and can get much cheaper players in the draft or UDFA. Perhaps he is non tendered and brought back at a cheaper price as they did in the past with McKenzie. But I would not bank on him being back for sure. Unless they truly believe he is a part of their future…then the 2.6 million is fine

On 2/27/2023 at 3:10 PM, Shaw66 said:

I’ve been on the Taron Train too!

Woo woo!

On 2/26/2023 at 10:35 PM, Yantha said:

Benford at safety?  Worth a shot but playing Safety is a COMPLETELY different football game compared to linebacker.  I was tasked to make that position switch, and it was a disaster.

Maybe he has the skills.....   I didn't. LOL.

Worth a try.

Sorry your conversion from LB to S didn't work out. Usually it goes in the opposite direction, from NCAA S to NFL LB (like Matt Milano, Thomas Davis, Brian Urlacher, etc.). 

Good thing Benford is a big, physical CB making the switch. Think of Aaron (AJ) Williams; limited as a boundary CB, but gifted as a SS. 

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

McDermott just said that the plan is for Benford to play Cornerback next season.

Say more? (Share a link?)

I liked the Benford to safety idea...

5 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Sorry your conversion from LB to S didn't work out. Usually it goes in the opposite direction, from NCAA S to NFL LB (like Matt Milano, Thomas Davis, Brian Urlacher, etc.). 

Good thing Benford is a big, physical CB making the switch. Think of Aaron (AJ) Williams; limited as a boundary CB, but gifted as a SS. 

Yeah, I'm only 5'10.5.... and couldn't get my weight any higher than 200lbs (at best) at that time.  Way too small for college linebacker.

I'm all for players getting tried at different positions, but not just for team need.  I think the switch should only be considered if the player is not playing well at the position he was drafted for.  It's kind of a "last chance" scenario IMO.

im all for benford at safety, adn i think mcd has had such a strong record with lower draft pick DBs that he out of anyone has the best chance to make it work, but we also have to consider our future at corner.

i think elam is gonna get at least 2 more years to anchor his starting spot at CB, but with his price tag, his consideration of opting out for covid, and his slow slow come back and much lower level of play, i think tre white is out the door after this season when the cap impact is acceptable. 

hyde, tre white, and oliver are gonna cost us about 40MM against the cap in 2023, the only one of them who i'd think has a shot at playing at a high level is hyde.  i think they are all gone for 2024 and we could net improve or stay the same at each position.

so it comes down to if we can find someone to replace hyde at safety vs white at CB1.  i think rightly our FO considers CB1 much more important and is willing to mix and match a guy into the safety position.  it should be noted that mcd is going to be much much more likely to play man d and/or just switch up coverages than frazier was too.

On 2/26/2023 at 9:51 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Also, this is my guy right now. Trained and recruited into a Lovie Smith defense. Tailor made for what we do. He actually reminds me of Poyer. Probably a second rounder. 

It’s always tempting to watch highlights and say “this guy is the answer.” With that said, this guy seems to have the “stuff.” The question becomes then where in the draft order does he go? 

It’s hard for me to imagine the Bills not addressing other needs first.  Yeah, there is always the BPA line from the scouts. However, the Bills are dying for real speed at skill positions, o-line help and an edge rusher ahead of a safety. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s always tempting to watch highlights and say “this guy is the answer.” With that said, this guy seems to have the “stuff.” The question becomes then where in the draft order does he go? 

It’s hard for me to imagine the Bills not addressing other needs first.  Yeah, there is always the BPA line from the scouts. However, the Bills are dying for real speed at skill positions, o-line help and an edge rusher ahead of a safety. 

Agreed. I think he is a second/third round pick. It depends on the need for safeties this year. Last year's safety class was loaded and most went in the 2-3 range. Depending how he runs, and I think he will test well, I think he's a second round pick. 

On 2/26/2023 at 8:15 PM, FireChans said:

Christian Benford is better than Tre White right now. So idk about all that buried on the depth chart stuff 

Let's see where Tre is this coming year. I believe he will be back on good form. As the the year progressed last year, Tre played better. No one expected him to play up to his past performance right away, did they?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.