Diggs interview with Dan Patrick on 2/10..

JerseyBills

Interesting interview . Still love this dude and his passion 

When Jefferson was brought up about winning opoy,  Diggs went out of his way to mention he has an offensive HC. Shot at McD? Maybe

Also brings up what we've been talking about how we looked different in the 1st 9 weeks - edit -, that was the Jets game where Josh injured his UCL. Coincidence? Maybe

Great listen.  We're in good hands with leaders like this and 17 slinging the rock. 

Touches on Damar situation and how he felt in that moment. Blood coming from his mouth. Apparently passing away twice on the field 

Love this dude- I'd suggest everybody to give this a listen when you have 15 minutes 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Thank you (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

You think he is taking a shot at McDermott in the media and you think that’s good leadership?

OK

I mean I'm just guessing here. I just like his passion and winning mentality.  

Rather have our #1 offensive weapon outside of QB be aware of our offensive struggles and care with all his heart about the issues. Rather than our #1 guy just being a Yes man and toting the company line..

He's not just in it for the $. Diggs wants to win. How can you not love that

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He sees every day what the rest of us see for 3 hours on Sundays. And unlike some of the other players on the team, he's in a place where he can subtly call out his incompetent coach. You win with a mindset like Diggs' and lose with a mindset like Clappy's. Optics be damned. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Dislike 3

13 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

He sees every day what the rest of us see for 3 hours on Sundays. And unlike some of the other players on the team, he's in a place where he can subtly call out his incompetent coach. You win with a mindset like Diggs' and lose with a mindset like Clappy's. Optics be damned. 

I still value McD and feel he's a great coach. He literally turned us from a 17 year drought , to being a consistent division winner and in the playoffs every year, while gutting basically the whole roster. McD deserves his credit but he just needs to shift his mindset when it comes to the offense.  

Looking back,  I think it's a high possibility our O struggles came from Allens injury. Is it a coincidence that was the 9th week of the year? And Diggs says after week 9. 

So , I think it was alot of factors and possibly they changed the O after the injury.  

10 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

McDermott needed his a** called out imo. Mr No Evolve needs to evolve, and fast. 

👆

Check this comment 

Nobody was saying this before Allens injury when we were slaying teams, rarely punting and looked unstoppable 

Alot of factors at play here

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

I question if it was a shot at McD or not.  If anything McD would have more input on the defense than the offense being a defensive HC.  Do we really think that McD is stepping in on Dorsey and making calls for him like he did with Frazier a few years ago?

Just a thought.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I still value McD and feel he's a great coach. He literally turned us from a 17 year drought , to being a consistent division winner and in the playoffs every year, while gutting basically the whole roster. McD deserves his credit but he just needs to shift his mindset when it comes to the offense.  

Looking back,  I think it's a high possibility our O struggles came from Allens injury. Is it a coincidence that was the 9th week of the year? And Diggs says after week 9. 

So , I think it was alot of factors and possibly they changed the O after the injury.  

👆

Check this comment 

Nobody was saying this before Allens injury when we were slaying teams, rarely punting and looked unstoppable 

Alot of factors at play here

Here is an article from Andrew Witworth about the injury. Looking back I think he's just a tough s.o.b and the injury definitely impacted his play and possibly play calling

, Carson Palmer. Same injury," Whitworth said when asked about Allen's injury, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. "Tried to come back and play. And then -- tried it out, didn't work, felt like he was too uncomfortable and then sat out the rest of the season."

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

McDermott needed his a** called out imo. Mr No Evolve needs to evolve, and fast. 

I guess Allen needed his ass called out by Diggs as well? Diggs looked like a ducking idiot flapping his arms on the sidelines like he was trying to take flight.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

39 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Interesting. That comment about HC's playing a huge part in offensive scheme and Jefferson's HC being an "offensive guy" gives an inside look into how Digg's may view things here.

Maybe have the HC go to the OC and ask questions. Like why aren't we scheming plays to get our #1 receiver the ball? If you are, why isn't the QB on the same page? Things that the majority of us watching the games are asking 

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

I guess Allen needed his ass called out by Diggs as well? Diggs looked like a ducking idiot flapping his arms on the sidelines like he was trying to take flight.

How dare he!!😂😂😂. Just shut up and dribble... I mean catch passes😎

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Josh should have sat out 4 weeks after the partial UCL tear. The fact that he didn’t and we still were able to win games - man, what a friggin warrior. 

It definitely affected his accuracy and ability to make behind the LOS throws as those put more stress on the elbow, so the bubble screens and rare wheel route went out the window. There is a lot of good content out there breaking down why the Offense started to stall, especially Cover-1’s stuff.

The main issue was as his elbow improved, Dorsey absolutely crapped the bed. The combo of Dorsey getting figured out and Josh getting hurt caused the lull after Week 9.

Josh got better, Dorsey didn’t. 

Teams figured out Dorsey’s goto plays and so schemed to take away Josh’s first 2 reads. Since our O-line was a friggin sieve, especially Roger Turnstile Saffold, Josh never had the time to get further in the progression so it always looked like the play call was “Hey Josh, go make a play”

Good play callers adjust to the defensive adjustments. Dorsey never did. Moving forward can he? Idk. We are going to find out.

Without a significant overhaul of this horrendous offensive line I don’t think it matters who’s calling the plays.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

32 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I question if it was a shot at McD or not.  If anything McD would have more input on the defense than the offense being a defensive HC.  Do we really think that McD is stepping in on Dorsey and making calls for him like he did with Frazier a few years ago?

Just a thought.

There were things being spread about him putting his hands into what Daboll was trying to do as well, that having caused a rift between the two. It wouldn't surprise me if he was meddling again. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Maybe have the HC go to the OC and ask questions. Like why aren't we scheming plays to get our #1 receiver the ball? If you are, why isn't the QB on the same page? Things that the majority of us watching the games are asking 

How dare he!!😂😂😂. Just shut up and dribble... I mean catch passes😎

Absolutely.  Again,  I believe the UCLA injury was a huge part but I remember watching a 20 min clip of our best plays and Diggs was an absolute monster prior to the injury

Including that game , through 8 games, he had 7 tds and 4 100 yard gms

The final 8 games, not counting Cincy which would've been 9, he had 4 TDs and 1 100 yard game.. 

Clearly something changed.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, H2o said:

There were things being spread about him putting his hands into what Daboll was trying to do as well, that having caused a rift between the two. It wouldn't surprise me if he was meddling again. 

Well if his getting his hands on on it were ""stop doing designed runs for josh" then I can agree with him.

I guess it's just a question of how much he was getting involved otherwise.

The biggest change everyone saw during the season was how we went from being good in short and intermediate passing and then just always going for the long ball.  McD doesn't really seem like that kind of coach so that's why I wonder.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Interesting interview . Still love this dude and his passion 

When Jefferson was brought up about winning opoy,  Diggs went out of his way to mention he has an offensive HC. Shot at McD? Maybe

Also brings up what we've been talking about how we looked different in the 1st 9 weeks 

Great listen.  We're in good hands with leaders like this and 17 slinging the rock. 

Touches on Damar situation and how he felt in that moment. Blood coming from his mouth. Apparently passing away twice on the field 

Love this dude.. 

Items hoot on my list in no particular order

#1 We got away from it on the back end. 

Would you guys' attribute this to play calling? 

#2 "how we were winning was not as smooth."

Nothing looked smooth those last 5 games....

#3 Season felt longer

Many on this board used the word "Drained" I think this is what Diggs is referring to.

#4 Could hardly hold back emotions when Hamlin was brought up.

This shows train of thought and what was on their minds even on the last game. 

I guess my point here is... This team was way off track well before the playoffs and Hamlin was the cherry on top that did it for them.

This only leads me to one question. WHY did they get away from what was working the first 8 games? Again the GB game comes to mind and that short throwing west coast type of offense was working. Why get away from something that was not broken?

Last thought...  Hamlin's injury is NOT why they lost that game... they lost cause somewhere during the middle of this season Buffalo lost their identity. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Yes... incompetent coach with the highest winning percentage in franchise history that went to the playoffs in his first year after 17 years of nothing.

More like incompetent poster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, H2o said:

One person's "meddling" is another person's mentoring. Making sure his coordinators are doing their jobs well is part of the HC's job description. I doubt that McD was designing or calling offensive plays for Daboll, but he may very well have said, "A little more of this, a little less of that," and would have been within his rights as HC to do so.

And he could be doing even more of it with Dorsey, a first-year coordinator. If he isn't, then he should be.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The biggest change everyone saw during the season was how we went from being good in short and intermediate passing and then just always going for the long ball.  McD doesn't really seem like that kind of coach so that's why I wonder.

Agreed. Even now, people say his (or Frazier's, depending on whom you believe) defense is too conservative. If he's such a conservative-minded coach, then why is the offense so overly aggressive? Either he's not as conservative as people think, or he takes a hands-off approach to the offense. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Diggs is frustrated just like us fans.  Lots of reasons as to why but none of them are a simple bumper sticker answer.

Josh is a great QB but he is only one guy.  Diggs will get more balls and the O will perform better is Josh has a little

more time to throw the ball before he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off.

It's not the only thing that needs to happen, but it would be a start.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

You think he is taking a shot at McDermott in the media and you think that’s good leadership?

OK

you think Diggs and coach have not had conversations about things like that...the modern athlete mindset   esp a star player ? is going to speak his mind ...wants the ball, is always open, etc, etc...I think he is more comfortable making a statement like that cuz he already expressed his opinions during the season exit interview as well if not before....

btw...the majority opinion of the cerebral giants on this portal of advanced thought have the same suspicions  of the HC ie., the second-coming of Marvin Lewis...

40 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes... incompetent coach with the highest winning percentage in franchise history that went to the playoffs in his first year after 17 years of nothing.

Isnt this quite disingenuous? Lets put on our back-in-time caps. Did the bills not have a similar to record to what we always had before McD joined the first year "we made" the playoffs??? We simply got lucky and the red rocket made a hell of a play to beat the ravens and send us in.

Our record wasnt improved that season over previous years with rex, it just happened to be good enough to squeak in that year.

For this you give mcd credit?

Then after that we drafted josh allen so anything after JA day cant really be credited to mcd since literally my blind grandpa could win games with JA dropping back.

• Like (+1) 5

39 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Turk... 

who can deny that this team got away with what they were doing well? I am pretty sure most watching can tell that offensively, this team got away from what it was doing good. Now..  I totally disagree with exactly how @QB Bills put it, I personally think both replies are poisoning these forums. What ever happened to the rule of thumb, argue the topics and not make it personal?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

Isnt this quite disingenuous? Lets put on our back-in-time caps. Did the bills not have a similar to record to what we always had before McD joined the first year "we made" the playoffs??? We simply got lucky and the red rocket made a hell of a play to beat the ravens and send us in.

Our record wasnt improved that season over previous years with rex, it just happened to be good enough to squeak in that year.

For this you give mcd credit?

Then after that we drafted josh allen so anything after JA day cant really be credited to mcd since literally my blind grandpa could win games with JA dropping back.

Our record was, in fact, improved over previous years with Rex - 8-8 and 7-9

We had achieved a 9-7 record two times previously during the playoff drought - 2004 and 2014.  So there is an element of chance that we didn't get in to the playoffs in 2014 (owing to other teams in the conference having 10-6 and 10-5-1 records), sure.  There are always elements of chance in sports.

But as for disingenuous - it's a fact that "your blind grandpa" hasn't managed to win enough games to see playoffs all the time with some other excellent QB under center.  Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, and Philip Rivers would be 3 examples of QB capable of winning championships, whose teams didn't win enough games to see playoffs.  The fact is, a team needs a decent defense to win consistently, and we've

Then it's a fact that Brian Daboll just won coach-of-the-year for taking the Giants to a 9-7-1 record.  I guess by your lights that's not an achievement?

Seems like you're pretty focused on not giving McDermott credit

4 hours ago, QB Bills said:

ok, so then time to blow it up and start over with an entirely new coaching staff?  Is that what you want?   Go back to suck for 2-3 years in Josh's prime while the roster is rebuilt in the image of the new HC and new OC/DC?   Is that what you want?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

you think Diggs and coach have not had conversations about things like that...the modern athlete mindset   esp a star player ? is going to speak his mind ...wants the ball, is always open, etc, etc...I think he is more comfortable making a statement like that cuz he already expressed his opinions during the season exit interview as well if not before....

btw...the majority opinion of the cerebral giants on this portal of advanced thought have the same suspicions  of the HC ie., the second-coming of Marvin Lewis...

Thank you for taking notice of me !😋

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

ok, so then time to blow it up and start over with an entirely new coaching staff?  Is that what you want?   Go back to suck for 2-3 years in Josh's prime while the roster is rebuilt in the image of the new HC and new OC/DC?   Is that what you want?  

Nick Sirriani got to the Super Bowl his 2nd year on the job.

Kyle Shanahan and Zac Taylor both got there in their 3rd years.

It's a myth that it takes several years for a new coaching staff to get the team to championship caliber. A new coach with no franchise QB, maybe (although that's where Taylor and Shanahan were when they took over). A new coach starting off with Josh Allen and established players on both sides of the ball would have very few if any growing pains.

Don't be so afraid of change. If a regime after 7 years of trying doesn't even sniff a Super Bowl appearance even after several years of elite QB play, it is reasonable to give someone else a chance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Is it reasonable to ask McDermott, this off-season, to let Poyer & Edmunds walk… perhaps try to find a trade partner for Oliver, and then utilize Day 3 picks to fill in the gaps, so we can invest heavy on Offense?  Remake the the OL and WR rooms?

Having a Defensive HC only has a chance to offset the inherent Offensive cohesion issues if that HC is able to mask deficiencies on the Defense so we can load up on Offense. 

So far we’ve apparently needed high end talent/investment all over the Defense in order to have a Defense that continually fails in the post-season.  

Isn’t that a fair compromise?… to ask Beane and McDermott to reallocate a ton of investment to to the Offense this off-season?

I think we’ve reached shake-up territory now.. the next step is major coordinator changes, then a HC change if our limitations remain. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Nick Sirriani got to the Super Bowl his 2nd year on the job.

Kyle Shanahan and Zac Taylor both got there in their 3rd years.

It's a myth that it takes several years for a new coaching staff to get the team to championship caliber. A new coach with no franchise QB, maybe (although that's where Taylor and Shanahan were when they took over). A new coach starting off with Josh Allen and established players on both sides of the ball would have very few if any growing pains.

Don't be so afraid of change. If a regime after 7 years of trying doesn't even sniff a Super Bowl appearance even after several years of elite QB play, it is reasonable to give someone else a chance.

The visceral opposition to this is that the bills were so bad at hiring upgrades for sooooo long. Donahoe, Jauron, Malarkey, Wade, Marone, Wrecks, Nix, Gaily, Whaley, Russ… everyone was a fix 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The visceral opposition to this is that the bills were so bad at hiring upgrades for sooooo long. Donahoe, Jauron, Malarkey, Wade, Marone, Wrecks, Nix, Gaily, Whaley, Russ… everyone was a fix 

Can we look at the Sabres? Why is there so much trust in the Pegulas hiring the right people? 

Right now Beane and McD look like the only positive exception in what’s been a horrible track record.

25 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Can we look at the Sabres? Why is there so much trust in the Pegulas hiring the right people? 

Right now Beane and McD look like the only positive exception in what’s been a horrible track record.

Well- I’m not in a position to buy the sabers Bills or probably even the bandits… so what choice is there? 

it’s the least changeable thing. 

19 hours ago, Einstein said:

Interesting. That comment about HC's playing a huge part in offensive scheme and Jefferson's HC being an "offensive guy" gives an inside look into how Digg's may view things here.

Also he mentioned the weather conditions and new stadium.  When Patrick asked him how long he'll be in Buf , Diggs said a couple of years. When he's on the books 5 more years.. 

I'm probably over thinking this but he just strikes me as a super hard working,  confident WR that wants to put the team on his back when needed. 

He was that the 1st 9 weeks. 7 TDs. 4 100 yard games.

Compared to 4 TDs . 1 100 yard game the final 7 games.

I

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Great interview of a great guy.  So glad we have him.

If you watch, there are no "shots".  He tells a human story about a player who works his ass off to win, is on a team that thinks it is their year, the team goes through hell-- all of which is described as a Disney story, with a nightmare ending.  What he could not fathom, is the season going down not with a bang but with a whimper. 

Why?  Those who want to blame someone will, be it a coach or Allen or whatever.  To me, I hope it is the kind of season that if it did not kill you-- and it might have killed this team as 2023 will be different--- only makes you stronger.  I can tell with Diggs he is only going to fight even harder.  Lucky to have him. Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.