Tremaine Edmunds will test free agency

HappyDays

8 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

If Edmunds walks, the Bills could likely sign 2 FA guards (Ben Powers, Dalton Eisner, etc) and a FA MLB for the amount of money Edmunds gets and likely have money left over.  Edmunds is probably trying to get Roquan Smith if not more.  5yr $45M gtd $100 M total.

Said it before but bump when the Bills sign Shaq Thompson who’s going to get cut by Carolina.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is very, very bad news for anyone who wants a real investment on offense. 

Edmunds is a pretty good LB, but will he command elite $$?

To anyone celebrating him leaving, expect yet another 1st round defense draft pick. Either S, LB, or good old DL. 

WR after round 4. OL we can do without because Allen can always run for his life, which is an "advantage" for us and part of his skillet apparently. 

Whatever brings the firings quickest at this point. 1 more season of waiting. Won’t be long.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Edmunds reminds me of Leslie. 

Good to very good against average/mediocre QBs, then just gets toyed with by the great QBs.

Will be a hole to fill for sure- But They get carved by Mahomes and Burrow anyways, so what’s really the difference if we have him or not. To be better in the regular season?

Spend the money on offence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Has the Defense shown up in the post-season against elite Offenses?  

Answer:  Emphatically NO. 

For as statistically dominant the Defense has been in regular season, how many 1 seeds have we gotten?

Answer:  Zero. 

It’s time to move on from Poyer and Edmunds.  Core defenders on a Defense that couldn’t get it done.   And as we saw last year, is now starting to eat into what we can protect, and provide, Allen with. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not surprising that he’s testing FA. However now Beane needs to address WR, OL, S, LB and RB with little cap space.  Missing on the 3rd pick at LB last year doesn’t help either. It’s gonna be critical for the Bills to add at least 3 impact players in this years draft. 

Brown, Boogie, AJE, Cook, Elam, Shakir and Gabe all MUST significantly raise their game this year.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Rewatch the Vikings game and see how different our Defense looked in the 1st half vs after he went out in the 2nd half for a good example of how integral he is.

Dodson or Bernard are not good enough to replace him, no argument there. But we can pay a capable LB in free agency for a much lower salary than Edmunds will get.

• Like (+1) 2

I'll post my reaction to the news that Edmunds is testing free agency.  

First, I think that it means that Edmunds isn't worth that much to the defense.    Beane always says his objective is to draft good young players, grow them, and keep them.   And he shows it by signing or extending players early.   If the guy could have been re-signed and Beane chose not to, it usually means that Beane is willing to let the guy go.  It also means that Beane acknowledges that the guy actually will get more elsewhere.  

That begs a question - what does it mean that he isn't worth that much?  It means that he doesn't fit as a critical piece in the way McDermott wants to play defense.   That would suggest that the Bills will be modifying their approach to defense.  For example, they may have decided a year ago that the defense would be evolving, and that might explain the Bernard pick.   

There was a day, a year or two ago, when McDermott and Beane said to one another, "there will be a time when Hyde and Poyer are gone, and a time when we probably won't want to pay Edmunds and probably won't want to pay Oliver.  All of those times are going to overlap, but it means that the personnel we're playing with today are not the guys we're going to be playing within a few years."   They knew this time was coming, and they're constantly planning for it.  They have a plan for what they're trying to build.

And this takes me back to the notion that some suggested:  that McDermott isn't the right guy, because he won't change or whatever.   He KNOWS he has to change, if for no other reason that he knows that his players are going to be changing, and he wants to have the best players to play in the league as it may look in a couple of years.   He simply can't expect to have guys the caliber of Edmunds, Poyer, and Hyde playing in the middle of his pass defense.   His defense will evolve.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sounds like a guy in the middle of a contract negotiation.  We've seen this with others around the league.  When a player says he going to stay, his agent loses a bunch of leverage.  I trust that Beane will make the correct decision but not retain him at an unreasonable cost.  If he can fit into the overall CAP strategy for the team, Beane will sign him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'll post my reaction to the news that Edmunds is testing free agency.  

First, I think that it means that Edmunds isn't worth that much to the defense.    Beane always says his objective is to draft good young players, grow them, and keep them.   And he shows it by signing or extending players early.   If the guy could have been re-signed and Beane chose not to, it usually means that Beane is willing to let the guy go.  It also means that Beane acknowledges that the guy actually will get more elsewhere.  

That begs a question - what does it mean that he isn't worth that much?  It means that he doesn't fit as a critical piece in the way McDermott wants to play defense.   That would suggest that the Bills will be modifying their approach to defense.  For example, they may have decided a year ago that the defense would be evolving, and that might explain the Bernard pick.   

There was a day, a year or two ago, when McDermott and Beane said to one another, "there will be a time when Hyde and Poyer are gone, and a time when we probably won't want to pay Edmunds and probably won't want to pay Oliver.  All of those times are going to overlap, but it means that the personnel we're playing with today are not the guys we're going to be playing within a few years."   They knew this time was coming, and they're constantly planning for it.  They have a plan for what they're trying to build.

And this takes me back to the notion that some suggested:  that McDermott isn't the right guy, because he won't change or whatever.   He KNOWS he has to change, if for no other reason that he knows that his players are going to be changing, and he wants to have the best players to play in the league as it may look in a couple of years.   He simply can't expect to have guys the caliber of Edmunds, Poyer, and Hyde playing in the middle of his pass defense.   His defense will evolve.  

Man, after 4 years of "Edmunds is playing his role exactly the way McD wants,"  we get this?  This was the plan 2 years ago to let him walk and change defenses?

Nah man.  Nah. Not buying it. Nice try.

Edited by FireChans
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JaCrispy said:

I said it for two years straight- Bills should have traded Edmunds when they had the chance…

This is what separates good GMs from  typical ones…

Disagree...he was a focal point of the defense, and we were in the midst of an all in super bowl push.  And we still don't know if he will be back yet or not despite this thread.  And the FO back then saw Edmunds in our future plans, and still might.  There was no reason to dump him back then and take a key player in Fraziers defense off the field while we were pushing for a SB these past 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It’s funny. For a playmaker on defense I have zero recollection of any plays he’s made. 

The Bills can absolutely replace him cheaper. It would be awful to pay him stupid money for his services. His services aren’t that great. 

Now, if he becomes one of the best LBs in the league… that’s another ding on McD and Frazier, unfortunately. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Damn that sounds like he’s a goner. Wanted Tremaine back bad. Now we’ve gotta find a middle backer on top of the other things we need. Not good

My gut feeling is he didn’t like how he was being used, how true this turns out to be will show with his next contract…,

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I feel like I heard this a lot about Milano in the early part of the 2021 offseason as well, and then he signed with the Bills. I dont think Edmunds is gone yet.

Was just gonna say this. My first thought reading this. Edmunds anchors this defense and he’s a very good player despite what 50% of this board thinks. You can’t just plug & play any scrub into MLB, the quarterback of the defense. They’ll figure it out

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

This would be the 5th player from that 2018 draft to be gone.

Edmunds - gone

Teller - gone

Phillips - gone

Mccloud - gone

Proehl - gone

That’s what happens with guys on rookie deals. They go when they get big money.  Edmunds and Harry.

Teller proved he was good when he left. Shouldn’t have let him go.

McCloud?  Meh.

Proehl? MehMeh.

Oh and you left out who hasn’t left.  Taron, Siran. And JOSH.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dpberr said:

I don't see any of these players being on the 2023 team.

image.thumb.png.8d92714dc269f2f0fa045eb27045dc16.png

Why wouldn’t we want to keep Jordan Phillips? He’s been a very good player for us and probably affordable.

Keep in mind a lot of people don’t like or undersized defensive tackle that’s going to cost $10 million this year

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Good to hear.  

Really good player.  And in another time, he’d make all the sense in the world to prioritize and bring back, but with heavy defensive dollars tied up in Von Miller, Tre White, Matt Milano and Micah Hyde (essentially one potential star player at each level of the defense), it’s time to move on.  

I’d still be shocked if we didn’t do something stupid like match what will inevitably be a big contract offer from someone else, but this is promising for those of us that want offensive investment this off-season. 

If we let him test free agency, he’s gone, we should just move on to the replacement is going to be

Enough of the high priced free agents on a team with the defensive coordinator as a head coach, draft them and coach them up

Put the groceries on the offense side of the ball

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I see Phillips as a possibility.

It’s going to catch up to us next year also.

We’ll see
I think beane will find the replacements

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is very, very bad news for anyone who wants a real investment on offense. 

Edmunds is a pretty good LB, but will he command elite $$?

To anyone celebrating him leaving, expect yet another 1st round defense draft pick. Either S, LB, or good old DL. 

WR after round 4. OL we can do without because Allen can always run for his life, which is an "advantage" for us and part of his skillet apparently. 

Brandon isn’t going to overdraft a linebacker just because Tremaine Edmunds leaves. It may change the plan for him to take a linebacker in the draft with one of the earlier pics probably not the first round pick.

I still say that this is a good draft to trade down and pick up another third round pick

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And then when our Defense falls off a cliff next year because of how integral Edmunds was, and we lose in the Wild Card round 42-38, fans can keep complaining about Frazier/McD/scheme. So it's really giving Bills fans what they want.

Yeah, his career total of 6.5 sacks , 2ff,, 5 ints for 27 total yards  over those 5 years is almost HOF, irreplaceable game impacting stuff that might just start another drought if not duplicated.   I know I don’t have all the stats on passes he prevented from being thrown because he was around the area, and I’m sure he can use  that argument for deserving to be highly paid, after all, that’s always the main argument given by supporters when criticized ( yet relying on non-events for deserving a large pay increase seems more risky than having actually produced on the field imo)

The Bills were in  that drought because they lacked a franchise QB, not because they lacked any LB play.  I think that point is mute now. KC didn’t win 2 SB’s because of their stellar defense; they have a hof HC & QB (most likely), wouldn’t you agree? Relying on needing a particular LB, unless its someone like parsons or maybe a star  like Miller, to get you a SB title seems like a flawed strategy based on the history of success of teams with multiple wins who got there because of great franchise QB play (kc & Pats). 

Just let those career stats sink in for a guy drafted 16th overall , who supposedly is some freakish athlete. He may be that, but he is not freakish on the football field and his lack of impact fits those career stats and the eye test we’ve witnessed for 5 years.  This last year was the first year he played with some visible intensity, but it still resulted in 1 sack, 1 Int , more balls that bounced off his hands when turnovers were needed, and he was still seen trailing plays, getting pushed out of gaps or tackling rbs from behind more times than he ever was seen making a TFL. THESE ARE CAREER STATS OF AN IRREPLACEABLE,IMPACT LB?  I just can’t see it that way. Even in mcd’s D, those are embarrassingly small numbers of impactful plays on a winning team and I think are proof they won in spite of him , not because of him, and I don’t see how it will be that difficult to at least match that production moving forward.  He may be much better in another D schematically and actually become that star we hoped for , but what difference does that make for the  Bills  as long as McD/Frazier stay together ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Success said:

We will miss him quite a bit if he leaves.

He's not irreplaceable - but he is one of the leaders & playmakers on D.  It adds one more thing to Beane's list if he moves on.

Is Oliver’s contract up this year also… I wouldn’t mind seeing him hit the road… Out of all the players on our team he disappointed me the most with Davis a close 2nd

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.