Who starts opposite Rousseau?

GreggTX

I know AJE started out well, but frankly, Shaq is playing way better. Granted, Lawson isn't special, but he does make plays once in a while. AJE has been invisible lately. Has Shaq been starting? I haven't noticed their snap counts either. Sorry if this is old news, but I'm overseas and sometimes the internet isn't available

Also, if you're abroad, NFL-Video.com gives you full game broadcasts for FREE after the games end.

• Like (+1) 2

I appreciate this thread as it addresses a particular discussion and simply does not echo the platitudes of frustration.

To me, Lawson earned it.  Once film is reviewed the Bills should determine if AJE is where he needs to be to contribute in meaningful manner, if not elevate Kingsley Jonathon.  What is the harm?

We need a spark and contributions; the one and done season does not afford us the chance to hope.  Film won't lie.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

I appreciate this thread as it addresses a particular discussion and simply does not echo the platitudes of frustration.

To me, Lawson earned it.  Once film is reviewed the Bills should determine if AJE is where he needs to be to contribute in meaningful manner, if not elevate Kingsley Jonathon.  What is the harm?

We need a spark and contributions; the one and done season does not afford us the chance to hope.  Film won't lie.

I am honestly wondering why Kingsley Jonathan is not getting more burn

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Von Miller is the only answer that makes a real difference.   And he is gone.   Pass rush is no better than it was last playoff season.    97 was the only possible addition to push the middle on Burrow, but he is out out as well.   Kind of sucks.  

Not only does it suck but it will probably do us in. With anemic pressure Joe Burrow who already gets the ball off fast will carve us up. Higgins and Chase our two good for our current secondary. Ed Oliver needs to have a career day. If  Shaq can set the edge and help keep the running game funneled to the middle and Edmunds and Milano shut down the running game we got a shot. Taron Johnson is such an underrated nickel corner and is playing really well ( if he’s able to go) .

the Defense has its work cut out for it. I don’t think we match up very well with Bengals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Special K said:

Shaq  just plays with a “junkyard dog” mentality....he’s one of the few players on D who brings that kind of attitude to the field...helps give the D the edge it needs.

Absolutely that’s why getting him and Jordan Phillips back was almost as important imo as bringing on Von.  Our D didn’t have any killers that bring that juice.  Shaq and Phillips are dogs that get everyone including the crowd juiced up.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He's a one trick pony. Seems to try to beat opponents with speed only. I've rarely seen him switch speed to power. 

He’s been really solid think it’s cause he’s not a a 10 sack guy which is what people thought they where getting when they drafted him where he was crushing people at Iowa. 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am honestly wondering why Kingsley Jonathan is not getting more burn

Well he couldn't line up properly against the Bears so I imagine that is part of it. He got flagged once and got away with two more to my eye. AJE is inconsistent down to down, but I think at the moment he is superior to Jonathan (who has some tools but it super raw). Boogie actually played a nice game yesterday. I am not at all as down as some are on the pass rush. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Shaq Lawson deserves it as he has played the best over the last few weeks.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well he couldn't line up properly against the Bears so I imagine that is part of it. He got flagged once and got away with two more to my eye. AJE is inconsistent down to down, but I think at the moment he is superior to Jonathan (who has some tools but it super raw). Boogie actually played a nice game yesterday. I am not at all as down as some are on the pass rush. 

I am.  I saw all day what we used to see the last 2-3 years, what we signed Von Miller for.  Overpursuit and flushed Thompson out of the pocket on probably half of his attempts.  We do that against KC, we won't touch Mahomes.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

This probably won’t be popular but for a while I have wanted us to experiment with moving Ed Oliver to DE….Id love to see how our front looks with the size and physical presence of Oliver and our bigger DTs on the field at the same time. He’s a good pass rusher for his size and has respectable quickness. Plus it would really booster our run support up from by and keep our LBs clean

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I am.  I saw all day what we used to see the last 2-3 years, what we signed Von Miller for.  Overpursuit and flushed Thompson out of the pocket on probably half of his attempts.  We do that against KC, we won't touch Mahomes.

I am concerned about the pass rush vs Mahomes, yes. But that has been the case since the moment Von went down. I think they played well enough yesterday to give Cincy some problems though.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This probably won’t be popular but for a while I have wanted us to experiment with moving Ed Oliver to DE….Id love to see how our front looks with the size and physical presence of Oliver and our bigger DTs on the field at the same time. He’s a good pass rusher for his size and has respectable quickness. Plus it would really booster our run support up from by and keep our LBs clean

They do line him up there from time to time. Normally with Rousseau inside. But full time he is our best DT. That is where he should play. I think there is an argument for using the Oliver outside package a little more than they have though. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Boogie did have some jump yesterday.  Pass rush overall was decent.  Not dominant but serviceable.  We need to make Burrow uncomfortable.  When he can't step up he is very average.

Bengals looked very normal last nite, and but for the fumble by Hartley near the goal line had a good chance of losing to a pretty mediocre Ravens team.  If the Bills offense is in gear, which I see no reason why they would not be, we have a real strong chance to win..  The Bengals receivers were nothing special last nite. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Boogie did have some jump yesterday.  Pass rush overall was decent.  Not dominant but serviceable.  We need to make Burrow uncomfortable.  When he can't step up he is very average.

Bengals looked very normal last nite, and but for the fumble by Hartley near the goal line had a good chance of losing to a pretty mediocre Ravens team.  If the Bills offense is in gear, which I see no reason why they would not be, we have a real strong chance to win..  The Bengals receivers were nothing special last nite. 

Given how limited Boogie's snaps are, especially for his rookie season (understandable, given we had 11 D-linesmen on the roster), I think he is a much better player than many give him credit. 

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I know AJE started out well, but frankly, Shaq is playing way better. Granted, Lawson isn't special, but he does make plays once in a while. AJE has been invisible lately. Has Shaq been starting? I haven't noticed their snap counts either. Sorry if this is old news, but I'm overseas and sometimes the internet isn't available

Also, if you're abroad, NFL-Video.com gives you full game broadcasts for FREE after the games end.

Gotta be Shaq.  Go back and watch AJE in the NE game.  Ran himself out of the play repeatedly.  I was sitting there like...Dude, when are you going to realize that just flying up field and getting pushed out of the play entirely by the tackle just isn't working?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Shaq is a much better run defender than pass rusher.    which is fine.  ideally you'd want a guy that can do it all but it is what it is a this point.   i actually had to really watch to see if Groot was playing yesterday.  he was very quiet.   he can not be quiet.   has to be better.

Blitz. You have to bring a guy off that corner. DB, and interchange Edmunds and Milano at times for a different look, so you can run Edmunds off that edge as well. With pressure from that side, forcing QB towards gigantically long Rousseau is a good situation. 

But will they do that — No. Least creative pre-snap defense around. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive
  • Dislike 1

13 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Shaq every day of the week. He’s making plays in the run game and he’s always around the QB.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The DE (Trent Murphy) who stopped Jackson from being effective in game defense crafted by Frasier is no longer with Bills or even playing anymore but other teams have copied his game plan.

Shaq and AJE are a good rotation pair since they have different skillsets.

Neither Shaq, AJE or Boogie have dynamic pass rush moves. Von alot of times would push pressure into these 3 guys. I just don't see Rousseau having that ability.  Our front 4 pass rush terrifies me. Half our sacks yesterday were on Milano blitzes. Blitzing Edmunds is a complete waste.  Our trenches are suspect.  If I has to pick one it would be Lawson.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am concerned about the pass rush vs Mahomes, yes. But that has been the case since the moment Von went down. I think they played well enough yesterday to give Cincy some problems though.

I’ll be very curious to see how the Bengals injuries on the OLine affect the next game. I’m not feeling sorry or making excuses for anyone at this time of year, but this could be a real factor to watch when the injury reports come out. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-fighting-through-offensive-line-injuries-heading-into-divisional-round-m

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

Given how limited Boogie's snaps are, especially for his rookie season (understandable, given we had 11 D-linesmen on the roster), I think he is a much better player than many give him credit. 

Lets hope he keeps improving.  Some guys take a little longer to develop into top flite NFL players.  Bruce Smith was not dominant his first few years I don't believe.  And neither was Eric Moulds.  And they both had stellar careers.  Lets go Boogie.

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

boom......but not happening this season

boogie basham should be starting opposite rousseau 

3 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Gotta be Shaq.  Go back and watch AJE in the NE game.  Ran himself out of the play repeatedly.  I was sitting there like...Dude, when are you going to realize that just flying up field and getting pushed out of the play entirely by the tackle just isn't working?

I mean AJE would be deadly if every qb had a 10 step drop.

• Haha (+1) 2

Any game AJE has had 43 percent of the snaps or more he's had a sack.  He usually plays the side Lawson plays and Lawson typically gets 50 percent or more of the snaps so they must be looking for the run defense from that position and consider Lawson the better at it.  AJE is definitely the second best pass rusher we have at the DE position (not counting Miller because he'd hurt).

Edited by Maine-iac

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.