Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

12 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I read either in this thread or another thread in here that NFL rules and bylaws MANDATE that the league commissioner must reschedule this game so it can be resumed. Is this not true? Not seeing much discussion about this in here.

Rule 17.1.4.  The game can only be terminated (or canceled) if to do so would not change its ultimate result or adversely affect any other team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I read either in this thread or another thread in here that NFL rules and bylaws MANDATE that the league commissioner must reschedule this game so it can be resumed. Is this not true? Not seeing much discussion about this in here.

It’s been discussed and I believe it is correct barring a natural disaster 

49 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think... watching a close friend receive CPR and AED is traumatic.  Trying to resume "business as usual" at that point is impossible.

Regarding the future if things take a turn... you have some time to process things.  It's less about your last moment with a person, and more about their life, their memory, their impact.

True, but often focusing on something else is healing. Playing on for Damar if you will. I wonder what he would tell the team? i bet he'd say win the damn title. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

True, but often focusing on something else is healing. Playing on for Damar if you will. I wonder what he would tell the team? i bet he'd say win the damn title. 

I do believe this is a valid argument/sentiment, but it's also a deeply personal decision each player has to make.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I'm saying having a few days for some processing, conversations, counseling, etc. is a lot different than 5 minutes to get your s--t together.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yea, at this point flipping a coin is a realistic option.

Again, I harp on the total inadequacy of this Billion $ business if they dont have some tie breakers to consider permanently canceled games.

No giving both teams a tie is not a fair option, that basically hands the #1 seed to the  Chiefs.

They do - people are just complaining because the plan involves winning percentage and therefore KC becomes the #1 seed.

I am not sure why you do not think they have a plan.  I believe it was ESPN earlier that posted the specific rules stating that it lies with the commissioner in any game either started or prior to that is cancelled or postponed to review and see if it can be played and if it can not be played - it is a non game for the purposes of records.

They will look at options - they will decide it has little bearing and they will call it a non contest and then similar to the Covid plan last year - if there are an uneven number of games it will go to win %.

People are jumping through trying to creat rules - like the NFL will award both teams a win, or a tie, or a coin toss and no of those are in the rules and will not be used.  The NFL will follow exactly as it is laid out and when the Bills and Bengals say they can’t play and need to focus on the playoffs - they will rule it a non-event and they will only have 16 games.  

It will have no impact on who makes the playoffs and will have minor impact of seeding, but they will get the right teams in without screwing up the schedule.

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

The NFL needs to cancel or postpone this weekend. There is no way the Bills or even Cincinnati will be able to concentrate on practicing let alone play a game.

I agree and nor should the BIlls, Cincy or any team, coach or player be focusing on the games right now, i understand its a business and they have to conduct business but IMO until that young man can make a full recovery or at least get an update toward the positive. i think it would be best to put things on hold at least until next week. Things are still very serious right now. 

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, BRH said:

Rule 17.1.4.  The game can only be terminated (or canceled) if to do so would not change its ultimate result or adversely affect any other team.

So it definitely could adversely affect other teams, so I guess "by the rules", it should be scheduled to be resumed.

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

They do - people are just complaining because the plan involves winning percentage and therefore KC becomes the #1 seed.

I am not sure why you do not think they have a plan.  I believe it was ESPN earlier that posted the specific rules stating that it lies with the commissioner in any game either started or prior to that is cancelled or postponed to review and see if it can be played and if it can not be played - it is a non game for the purposes of records.

They will look at options - they will decide it has little bearing and they will call it a non contest and then similar to the Covid plan last year - if there are an uneven number of games it will go to win %.

People are jumping through trying to creat rules - like the NFL will award both teams a win, or a tie, or a coin toss and no of those are in the rules and will not be used.  The NFL will follow exactly as it is laid out and when the Bills and Bengals say they can’t play and need to focus on the playoffs - they will rule it a non-event and they will only have 16 games.  

It will have no impact on who makes the playoffs and will have minor impact of seeding, but they will get the right teams in without screwing up the schedule.

Maybe they have a plan, I am not aware of it that it is a "NON-GAME" and I guess look at %s

22 minutes ago, BRH said:

That's not what that says. It says if the Commissioner deems it impossible to continue a game due to emergency... The Commissioner has the authority to adjust the procedures in whatever manner the Commissioner deems appropriate...

The clause you are citing would seem to give him the authority to cancel a game that could be played, if it has no effect on any other team. 

Edited by Motorin'

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes, but seeding itself is huge, & people on all sides will be weary because it again gives KC homefield throughout the postseason.

It also has the side-benefit of guaranteeing Mahomes MVP. All the stats Burrow or Allen could've put up with an additional game (and we already saw a glimpse of what could've been a great offensive game) get thrown out the window too. I know this isn't crucial, but fans of all teams are going to raise an eyebrow seeing only the Chiefs ended up benefitting from this game.

With the AFC playoffs again going through Arrowhead, Chiefs getting a BYE by default & Mahomes getting an uncontested MVP, it'll make fans from all around cry foul. The NFL is in a very tough position, and I doubt those outside of Buffalo or Cincy will be very reasonable.

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Yes, but seeding itself is huge, & people on all sides will be weary because it again gives KC homefield throughout the postseason.

It also has the side-benefit of guaranteeing Mahomes MVP. All the stats Burrow or Allen could've put up with an additional game (and we already saw a glimpse of what could've been a great offensive game) get thrown out the window too. I know this isn't crucial, but fans of all teams are going to raise an eyebrow seeing only the Chiefs ended up benefitting from this game.

With the AFC playoffs again going through Arrowhead, Chiefs getting a BYE by default & Mahomes getting an uncontested MVP, it'll make fans from all around cry foul. The NFL is in a very tough position, and I doubt those outside of Buffalo or Cincy will be very reasonable.

Throw an 8th team in the mix, 7 WC playoff games (would people complain about an extra MNF game?) and no AFC bye.  They still get home field, but they don't get the coveted bye week.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BRH said:

I posted the below in the other thread but after reading the rule, this appears to be the only reasonable solution that doesn't have the Bills playing 2 games in the next 6 days.

1-8-23 - Week 18 - Play normally

1-15-23 - Formerly Wildcard Weekend - Instead its just Bills vs Bengals

1-22-23 - Formerly Divisional Weekend - Instead it is Wildcard Weekend

1-29-23 - Formerly Conference Championships - Instead its Divisional Weekend

2-5-23 - Formerly Bye Week for SB Participants (Pro Bowl stuff) - Instead Conference Championships

2-12-23 - Super Bowl - Play normally

Sure some plane and hotel reservations will get messed up but at most for what? Just Wildcard weekend? Playing field for Divisional round can only possibly be known for 1st seeds which is up in the air for both conferences anyway so that is the risk you take.

Super Bowl remains the same. 

I just don't see how they don't replay this game but then the Bills happen to play the Bengals in the playoffs 2 weeks later maybe? And that they can do? Doesn't make sense.

To summarize this method messes up some plane and hotel reservations but is fair for all involved teams.

Its the only solution.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I still think the coin flip would be the way to go, but wait until after week 18. It keeps the Chiefs, Bengals and Bills games all relevant this weekend.

Deciding major sporting events by a coin toss is not unprecedented in major sporting competitions. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just play out the week and then decide with a coin toss like Friday Night Lights. Just so many scenarios depending on outcomes of week 18. 

Bills players probably don’t care too much about seeding at this point. Probably rather be amongst themselves and skip week 18 and then  start in wild card weekend

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Throw an 8th team in the mix, 7 WC playoff games (would people complain about an extra MNF game?) and no AFC bye.  They still get home field, but they don't get the coveted bye week.  

That's awesome, I was JUST posting a comment that said this same thing! 😆

That would actually make the most sense imo & help/hurt everyone equally.

15 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

So the options are call it a non-game and go to winning percentage - which you don’t like or force the Bills and Bengals to play a game alone sometime after week 18 and before the playoffs that puts both teams at a huge competitive disadvantage and most likely still gives KC home field advantage.

Which do you want - people need to pick their poison here.

Is it find a way in the next to weeks for the Bills and Bengals to play 3 games?

Call it a no contest and basis the playoffs on winning percentage?

There are no rules to make up a fake tie, award both teams wins, flip a coin to decide - so none of those are options.  

There are only 2 and both suck, but calling it a no game keeps all the teams involved in the playoff and has minor negative impact.  Trying to find a way to shoehorn in an extra game between Sunday and next weekends playoff is completely ludicrous and if they push the playoffs back and force a single Buffalo/Cincinnati game can you imagine how much bad press that will generate as the Bills have to return to the scene and every other playoff teams get byes to get ready and KC has to sit for 2 weeks.

The easiest answer is what the Bills have already said they expect - the game will not be made up - moving the seeding to win% as discussed during Covid and keeping all of the schedules the same.

Every choice has positive and negative impacts - that choice limits it as much as possible.

16 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I posted the below in the other thread but after reading the rule, this appears to be the only reasonable solution that doesn't have the Bills playing 2 games in the next 6 days.

2-5-23 - Formerly Bye Week for SB Participants (Pro Bowl stuff) - Instead Conference Championships

Sure some plane and hotel reservations will get messed up but at most for what? Just Wildcard weekend? Playing field for Divisional round can only possibly be known for 1st seeds which is up in the air for both conferences anyway so that is the risk you take.

I just don't see how they don't replay this game but then the Bills happen to play the Bengals in the playoffs 2 weeks later maybe? And that they can do? Doesn't make sense.

To summarize this method messes up some plane and hotel reservations but is fair for all involved teams.

Its the only solution.

Not really fair as it gives all of the wild card teams a week off and time to gameplan and prepare and the Bills and Bengals get screwed having to play with no rest for the 2 mentally scarred teams.  My guess is if that becomes the proposal- the Bills go to the NFLPA and refuse and it gets scrapped and the Bills take the loss.

The Bills do not want to screw Cincinnati and that plan more than any other screws Cincinnati for being right their and supporting the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Its the only solution.

Wanna bet?

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

So the options are call it a non-game and go to winning percentage - which you don’t like or force the Bills and Bengals to play a game alone sometime after week 18 and before the playoffs that puts both teams at a huge competitive disadvantage and most likely still gives KC home field advantage.

Is it find a way in the next to weeks for the Bills and Bengals to play 3 games?

There are no rules to make up a fake tie, award both teams wins, flip a coin to decide - so none of those are options.  

There are only 2 and both suck, but calling it a no game keeps all the teams involved in the playoff and has minor negative impact.  Trying to find a way to shoehorn in an extra game between Sunday and next weekends playoff is completely ludicrous and if they push the playoffs back and force a single Buffalo/Cincinnati game can you imagine how much bad press that will generate as the Bills have to return to the scene and every other playoff teams get byes to get ready and KC has to sit for 2 weeks.

The easiest answer is what the Bills have already said they expect - the game will not be made up - moving the seeding to win% as discussed during Covid and keeping all of the schedules the same.

Every choice has positive and negative impacts - that choice limits it as much as possible.

Not really fair as it gives all of the wild card teams a week off and time to gameplan and prepare and the Bills and Bengals get screwed having to play with no rest for the 2 mentally scarred teams.  My guess is if that becomes the proposal- the Bills go to the NFLPA and refuse and it gets scrapped and the Bills take the loss.

The Bills do not want to screw Cincinnati and that plan more than any other screws Cincinnati for being right their and supporting the Bills.

I'm having a hard time seeing the Bills play the Pats this weekend. 

Will be interesting to see what practice does or doesn't look like for either the Bills or Bengals at this point.

I could honestly see both teams unable to play this week, and the league resort to winning %. 

Week 18 would basically be a bye for the Bills and Bengals. They'd have a Wild Card game to win the next week before squaring off, probably in Buffalo. 

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I feel like that goes against their exact rule of not creating an advantage for other teams which this would do 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It's really going to depend upon the outcome for Damar, I think.  If he comes out of sedation on Weds and is alert and able to communicate "Go Bills!" that's a very different situation than if he remains in a coma.

They won't hear anything until Thursday would be my bet...   based on what the doctors that were on the NFL network this morning they pretty much said 3 days...before they will know anything meaningful. Im worried how is this team going to be able to go out and play on Sunday if they dont hear anything until Thursday (and that if it good news) what if it not good news.   

if they lost the #1 seed I think the bills forfeit Sunday... no sense playing and more risking injury's for one home playoff game given everything that has happened this year.  still to many unknown's 

23 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Its the only solution.

Not a bad solution, but it's not the only one.  I think the league might be wise to just let the week 18 games go forward as scheduled before issuing a decision.  There's a decent chance that after this week's games are played, the Bills-Bengals game would have a minimal impact on the final standings.  The league rule doesn't seem to allow cancellation of a game that has serious competitive repercussions for other teams... 

I say push playoffs back a week to get the bills/Bengals played. Given the situation, I think teams would understand. It'd only give the 2 superbowl teams a week to prepare, but in all honestly I don't think it'd be that big a deal. Nobody cares about the pro bowl anyway 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Not a bad solution, but it's not the only one.  I think the league might be wise to just let the week 18 games go forward as scheduled before issuing a decision.  There's a decent chance that after this week's games are played, the Bills-Bengals game would have a minimal impact on the final standings.  The league rule doesn't seem to allow cancellation of a game that has serious competitive repercussions for other teams... 

The clause that you're referring to is in regards to a game that was postponed and could be played. It give the Comissoner to authority or cancel. 

In the case of an emergency, a game that can not be rescheduled, the bylaws say the Commissioner can do what ever he sees fit. 

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

The clause that you're referring to is in regards to a game that was postponed and could be played. It give the Comissoner to authority or cancel. 

In the case of an emergency, a game that can not be rescheduled, the bylaws say the Commissioner can do what ever he sees fit. 

Yeah, there's not much doubt that Goodell can do pretty much whatever he sees fit.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I like the coin flip.  Restarting yesterday's game where it left off would not only throw off the whole schedule, it would be a bizarre and maudlin affair that's anathema to entertainment.  I'd even be fine with them using a RNG and giving the Bengals a 60% chance since they were up 7-3 and driving.  

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Maybe. But at minimum after the week 18 games are played, 1st 2nd and 3rd seeds are up in the air. And If the Ravens beat the Bengals, their division is up in the air.

Week 18:

Bills

13-3 or 12-4

Chiefs

14-3 or 13-4

Bengals

12-4 or 11-5

Ravens

11-6 or 10-7

Too many combinations will still have competitive repercussions no matter the outcome. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Just play out the week and then decide with a coin toss like Friday Night Lights. Just so many scenarios depending on outcomes of week 18. 

Bills players probably don’t care too much about seeding at this point. Probably rather be amongst themselves and skip week 18 and then  start in wild card weekend

The Bills are not going to skip, forfeit, stay at home with their families…yada yada this Sunday. They will be playing the New England Patriots. 

Now if you want to debate whether or not their heads will be in that game, that is a valid point for discussion.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.