Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Would they have suspended the game had Damar made it the sidelines and had this happen in the locker room? I hate to say it but I doubt it. 

I think the trauma of watching him receive CPR/AED and possible intubation on the field is a big part of it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, DapperCam said:

I’m wondering if these guys will be able to play the Pats this weekend? I could see that game getting pushed out to Tuesday to give everybody more time. The college football national championship is on Monday. I mean, these games are on top of each other and they will have practice tomorrow I think for the next week if it were normal circumstances.

Can’t really push to Monday or Tuesday. Then you are putting teams at a rest disadvantage for the playoffs.

Is it possible that the NFL waits until after the week 18 results, and then decides what to do with Bills v Bengals game?    Probably not due to scheduling.     But is possible that based on week 18 result the only issue up in the air could be 2 seed or 3 seed.  Ex. if Chiefs win, Bengals win, Bills lose.  Then Chiefs get #1 seed, and Bengals win AFC North regardless of Bills v Bengals result.   If Bills win & they both lose then Bills have #1 seed.  Although i think that leaves AFC North in doubt. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

The team won’t be penalized. If they want to resume the game they’ll be given that option I believe. If they accept an alternative option that is not a penalty. 

If the Chiefs lose and then Bills & Bengals win... it gets tough.  That's a big ask for Cinci to just accept the 2 seed when they have a game in the balance, at home, up 7-3 with the ball at midfield even if there's a full 3 1/2 quarters to play.  

If the Chiefs win.. you'd be asking the Bills if they'd rather play for the 1 seed or accept a no contest and head into the playoffs as the 2, with the Bengals having to be willing to take the 3 and then potentially play this game again in Buffalo.  At least then, the Bills are making the much larger sacrifice. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Process said:

Lol...you realize that the Bills themselves and all of the players/coaches could absolutely care less about this, right?

Do you expect them to reschedule the game because Kiva from TBD is concerned about seeding?

Leave your emotions to the side.

The poster had a rational, non-emotional response to how to best try fix the situation and keep the integrity or fairness of the game.

Of course, RIGHT NOW the bills probably could care less but IF they ever go back to playing, and if they "don't care" than they shouldn't even bother playing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Personally, since the league has opened the door on the resolution, I'd propose a coin flip. Even odds, you don't have to worry about short weeks, other teams ending up with byes but not you, and it's reasonably equitable.

Maybe the Bengals would feel aggrieved because they were ahead. I guess ultimately there will be time to decide the victor come playoff time.

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If the Chiefs lose and then Bills & Bengals win... it gets tough.  That's a big ask for Cinci to just accept the 2 seed when they have a game in the balance, at home, up 7-3 with the ball at midfield even if there's a full 3 1/2 quarters to play.  

If the Chiefs win.. you'd be asking the Bills if they'd rather play for the 1 seed or accept a no contest and head into the playoffs as the 2, with the Bengals having to be willing to take the 3 and then potentially play this game again in Buffalo.  At least then, the Bills are making the much larger sacrifice. 

Yeah…It’s important to remember that Cincy gets screwed the most by this game not being restarted, not the Bills.

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Would they have suspended the game had Damar made it the sidelines and had this happen in the locker room? I hate to say it but I doubt it. 

Had he gone into the locker room than, no, the game would have likely been going on.

People are getting all sanctimonious and outraged if people try to discuss the reality of the consequences of this tragedy.

• Like (+1) 1

The league will come up with something. Problem is it happened on national TV during a game, so there's no simple solution.

JJ Watt had to get his heart shocked back into rhythm, but it was off the field so the show went on. Players have been involved in life-altering accidents or even died during the course of a season, but not in front of TV cameras with the world watching.

It's a different set of circumstances that requires a different set of solutions. I'd assume there'd be some creative compromise figured out aside from just declaring a no contest & moving on.

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah, the Chiefs will have the 1 seed if they win Sunday. Let me ask this question… is it possible for me to care greatly for what happens to Hamlin and ALSO care who gets the 1 seed? Is it possible to do both? Some of you are acting as though it’s an either/or situation. 

• Like (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Personally, since the league has opened the door on the resolution, I'd propose a coin flip. Even odds, you don't have to worry about short weeks, other teams ending up with byes but not you, and it's reasonably equitable.

Maybe the Bengals would feel aggrieved because they were ahead. I guess ultimately there will be time to decide the victor come playoff time.

It was so early in the game, and such a close score, it’s meaningless 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Right or wrong, I have to believe the most likely scenario is that the Bills-Bengals game is never resumed, and it goes down as either no game or a tie.  That is probably the least un-fair result and, depending on the result of the games in week 18, it might not even have that much impact on the playoff seedings.  We also need to remember that both of these teams have clinched playoff berths, so it's not a matter of them making the playoffs or not...There's no way to resume the game without changing the entire playoff schedule, which would just be too problematic.     

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Look....no one in here cares any less about Damar just because we're discussing the playoffs. All anyone can do at this point is pray 

Maybe we should label the threads so it’s clear which are about NFL logistics and which are about the person.

Wait…

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Who cares? This young man still might die or be permanently impaired and you guys care about playoff seeds?

Come on, my friend.  No one is saying that…It is not all that they care about.  

All can hold this young man and his family and teammates in their hearts while also bringing up other subjects relevant to the board.

And I, for likely more than one, think this strong, kind and faithful young man is going to be right as rain soon.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

Who cares? This young man still might die or be permanently impaired and you guys care about playoff seeds?

It's possible to care about more than one thing...

My grandfather recently passed away 2 weeks ago, but I still had take care of my house, feed my pets, pay my bills, and do dozens of other things that still mattered, even while prioritizing funeral & travel arrangements.

No need to disparage people who aren't meeting your threshold for expected grief. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah, the Chiefs will have the 1 seed if they win Sunday. Let me ask this question… is it possible for me to care greatly for what happens to Hamlin and ALSO care who gets the 1 seed? Is it possible to do both? Some of you are acting as though it’s an either/or situation. 

Thank you.  There is no reason both things can't be discussed.  No discussion of playoff alternatives--here or anywhere else--will have any impact on Hamlin's medical condition.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kgun5 said:

Yeah…It’s important to remember that Cincy gets screwed the most by this game not being restarted, not the Bills.

If the Chiefs lose, yes, absolutely.

If the Chiefs win.. I'd say it's a bigger (football) sacrifice for the Bills.  Bengals go from 2 to 3 with no ability to beat us at home and flip it.  But the Bills are giving up a chance at the 1, which is a much bigger deal. 

I don’t see any fair option other than giving the Bills the L and Cinci the W. At the end of the day, the Bills decided not to continue the game, which was the right decision, and the Bengals chose not to protest it.  Bills chose to forfeit, and I am 100% behind that decision.  Play next week and see where the chips fall.  

The only way to play this game would be to extend the season by a week, which then pushes out the playoffs a week, giving all playoff teams except the Bills and Bengals a bi week and the 1 seeds two weeks off.  I’m sure that would be a scheduling nightmare. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2

This is a unique and incredible moment in sports and life, and our thoughts should be completely with Damar.  Just like I think the game should have been postponed sooner than it was last night, I do not see any reasonable path to resuming it and I think it likely will be best for all if it is simply never played, and playoff seeding falls wherever it may.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

It’s possible and I also care. For me personally, I care but I’m not focused on it. I think the team will accept whatever happens and move forward. It is completely out of our hands as fans and if the chiefs are “gifted” the #1 seed due to this tragedy, all the Bills can do is go on the road and beat them as a result because that’s the hand they were dealt and it’s all that they can do. But keep in mind the chiefs may not even advance and play the bills. They might not even beat the raiders. We just have to wait and see how it all plays out. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

If the Chiefs lose, yes, absolutely.

If the Chiefs win.. I'd say it's a bigger (football) sacrifice for the Bills.  Bengals go from 2 to 3 with no ability to beat us at home and flip it.  But the Bills are giving up a chance at the 1, which is a much bigger deal. 

I tend to agree. I was combining the two, and seeing Cincy screwed significantly, either way. If the Chefs lose, the Bills actually benefit from the no contest.

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

So what do you think the Bills should do.  Are the Bills not supposed to care about playoff seeds post this tragedy?

Should they all take time off until we know Damar's status?  Should we just forfeit the rest of our games?

I think every poster here realizes his life/long term health is more important than a football game.  We dont need to be lectured about it.  If it is too raw for you to even THINK about it, fine by me.  

Tragedies happen, I know it is a bummer but life goes on.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Process said:

No surprise. There was no way. All we can hope for this week is that we get some good news in regards to his health.

Happy to see this. The league has pleasantly surprised me. I really thought they’d push to get it in this week. 

4 minutes ago, Imichel101 said:

I don’t see any fair option other than giving the Bills the L and Cinci the W. At the end of the day, the Bills decided not to continue the game, which was the right decision, and the Bengals chose not to protest it.  Bills chose to forfeit, and I am 100% behind that decision.  Play next week and see where the chips fall.  

The only way to play this game would be to extend the season by a week, which then pushes out the playoffs a week, giving all playoff teams except the Bills and Bengals a bi week and the 1 seeds two weeks off.  I’m sure that would be a scheduling nightmare. 

Today would be the worst day in the history of the NFL if the two teams went back onto the field.  Something that would haunt the league for years. 

No matter who decided what, if they played a game last night while a player is still fighting for his life in a medically induced coma the next day, I'm not sure how they come back from that in the eyes of the public. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

Do you think the players are sitting at home saying gee I wonder who we play in the playoffs now? Who cares. You play who is on the schedule if and when they ever play again. Right now, who cares about anything to do with football

Respectfully, everyone is going to approach this situation differently.  One person who prays for Hamlin while also talking about the playoffs is certainly of no less value than a person who grieves and thinks about Hamlin constantly 

Do you think the players are sitting at home saying gee I wonder who we play in the playoffs now? Who cares. You play who is on the schedule if and when they ever play again. Right now, who cares about anything to do with football

Well we aren’t the players, right? We’re fans on a message board for discussing football. And I am guessing the thought has at least crossed the minds of some players since it directly impacts what their next month of work looks like.

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I think you are ok. We all care deeply. No one is right to judge. I think some people are just being carful in regard to the timing of it all. Everyone is a little different and that fine. I think of it like this, when I'm under stress I tend to get immature. It's because I need the distraction but I still care about the stressor. Hope that makes sense. 

7 minutes ago, Imichel101 said:

At the end of the day both coaches seemed to agree to not finish the game.  If one coach doesn’t want to restart the game and one does, then you might see a forfeit.  But I doubt that’s going to happen.

I really don’t think the bengals could’ve played in those conditions either…they might not have known demar personally but I’m sure it really shook them up as well.  Especially Higgins 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

That's your opinion.  Some people still care about both.  It's not you who should decide how anyone should deal with this horrible situation, nor is it for you to decide that people are immoral because they still are thinking about seeding (assuredly along with Hamlin).  All you had to do was move past the thread and not post.  But you had to come in pointing fingers and preaching a "Hollier than tho" attitude.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

I guess they could try to get the game played next Thursday?  

one last Thursday night game. 

They couldnt do that because at least one if not two teams would have to play in the playoffs a few days later.  That isnt enough rest or prep time.

• Agree 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

So what do you think the Bills should do.  Are the Bills not supposed to care about playoff seeds post this tragedy?

Should they all take time off until we know Damar's status?  Should we just forfeit the rest of our games?

I think every poster here realizes his life/long term health is more important than a football game.  We dont need to be lectured about it.  If it is too raw for you to even THINK about it, fine by me.  

Tragedies happen, I know it is a bummer but life goes on.

Unless we get some good news, do you think they are playing this weekend? They would have to go back to practice tomorrow and do interviews and everything that goes with it. I personally don't care if they forfeit both games. If they are ready the week after for the playoffs then so be it and if not then it's up to them. They don't owe us anything. Football should not even be a consideration right now until the players say so. And I doubt they care who they play or what their seed is because it's completely out of their control

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Imichel101 said:

In this difficult moment of uncertainty and chaos, I'm reminded of something coach McDermott says often.

"All we can do is focus on what we can control".

All the Bills players and coaches can control right now is getting their minds and hearts right, praying for their brother, and then taking each practice and each game one day at a time, when the time comes to do so. Doing their best to go 1-0 each week from here on out, regardless of who is on the schedule or where the game is played, just as they have always done.

Any additional worry about seeding, opportunities taken away, feeling cheated, whatever...it does them no good. It is beyond their control

I believe that it is okay for us, as fans, to feel upset about this potentially lost opportunity at playoff seeding, so long as we keep that upset in the proper perspective, i.e. it is infinitely less important than the health of Damar Hamlin. Having acknowledged that fact...yeah, it's okay to say that the universe has dealt some really harsh blows to the Buffalo community and to the Bills this year. As QB1's favorite song goes: "That's life".

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.