Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Thursday the 12th? The playoffs start the 14th…

If it’s for the one seed. Play it. I’d rather have an opportunity and chances are we get the bye anyways. Bengals did not look good. 

I agree that the Hamlin situation and the playoff seeding issue are not mutually exclusive.  I think that Hamlin's health is MORE IMPORTANT than the playoff seeding at this point.  That said, I still have some curiousity and interest in how the playoff seeding situation shakes out.  Another poster said something similar:  I have had family members pass away, but was still concerned about how things are going at my job, for my kids at school, etc.  It doesn't mean that the family member's passing was not the MOST IMPORTANT issue on my mind, but other things continue to exist, even in light of a tragedy.  As also stated above, for some people, participating in everyday activities and/or discussions is cathartic when dealing with grief.  I think we all need to process this situation in the way that works best for us.

First and foremost, thoughts and prayers to Hamlin and his family.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Today would be the worst day in the history of the NFL if the two teams went back onto the field.  Something that would haunt the league for years. 

No matter who decided what, if they played a game last night while a player is still fighting for his life in a medically induced coma the next day, I'm not sure how they come back from that in the eyes of the public. 

IF the NFL & NFLPA didn't prepare for this than this Billion $ industry is poorly, poorly managed.

There should be some tie breakers to allot for permanently cancelled games. which appears likely without MAJOR disruptions league wide.  Games are subject to cancellation for any number of acts of god.  The game should be permanently cancelled.  

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think they can, really. Than you would have teams playing Sunday, Thursday, and then Sunday again, Monday at the latest. Nflpa would never approve. 

Bills played 3 games in 11 days... I don't want them to have to do that again though.  Especially in playoff time. 

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Unless we get some good news, do you think they are playing this weekend? They would have to go back to practice tomorrow and do interviews and everything that goes with it. I personally don't care if they forfeit both games. If they are ready the week after for the playoffs then so be it and if not then it's up to them. They don't owe us anything. Football should not even be a consideration right now until the players say so. And I doubt they care who they play or what their seed is because it's completely out of their control

If they dont play this weekend then you can pretty much cancel the year.

They are pros, as distasteful and painful as it is, I think they HAVE to play this weekend or just cancel the entire year (which is not a realistic option).

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I wish I could pin this to the board - A Bills player's heart stopped beating on the field yesterday. He is currently fighting for his life. His teammates had to witness this happen and now patiently wait for any kind of news. WHO CARES ABOUT THE #1 SEED.

I care about the #1 Seed. and I care about the players health. why does it have to be one or the other? jeesh. it goes without saying the players health is more important and it goes without saying the players/coaches should have a say or the ultimate say as to when they play. 

But I for one am not going to pretend like the football aspect isn't immensely disappointing. I'm sure many of the players are dealing with this emotion as well. 

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

May be they give a W to both teams and allow the Bills the 1st round bye ot mentally re-group.  Again, these games are so far away in the minds of the players...it really doesn't matter until Hamlin recovers.  Prayers to Hamlin and his family.  Go Bills !

Would be awesome but I seriously doubt it. Most likely they just record it like it is- no game played. Bills and Bengals play one fewer game and everything is based on win percentages. Stinks for the Bills and Cincinnati, but that's what happened so why make something else up?

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

IF the NFL & NFLPA didn't prepare for this than this Billion $ industry is poorly, poorly managed.

There should be some tie breakers to allot for permanently cancelled games. which appears likely without MAJOR disruptions league wide.  Games are subject to cancellation for any number of acts of god.  The game should be permanently cancelled.  

I think it will be cancelled and they likely do have contingency plan to determine seeding. Cleanest way is to go by win percentage after week 18, enact tie breakers as needed from there, let the chips fall where they may for Bills and Bengals, and move forward. Trying to play the game at this point is problematic for a number of reasons. If the universe says the Bills weren’t meant to get the 1 seed, so be it. JMO

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, DapperCam said:

They could move around the playoff games, but I doubt they would want to do that.

They could but thats difficult to do.  If they move one then all the rest have to move as well. That would eat into the week off before the SB.  At some point either they would have to just get rid of the week off before the SB, move the SB out a week, or some team if they make it all the way would be playing a short week somewhere. Its just a logistical nightmare.

To spark maybe a further conversation, maybe they should think about the future here and not just this one time incident. There really is no room in a football season to account for this. Maybe they should add a bye week for all playoff teams at the end of the season and any single games that have to be moved can play that week. 

28 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I’m wondering if these guys will be able to play the Pats this weekend? I could see that game getting pushed out to Tuesday to give everybody more time. The college football national championship is on Monday. I mean, these games are on top of each other and they will have practice tomorrow I think for the next week if it were normal circumstances.

It's really going to depend upon the outcome for Damar, I think.  If he comes out of sedation on Weds and is alert and able to communicate "Go Bills!" that's a very different situation than if he remains in a coma.

Just now, vincec said:

Would be awesome but I seriously doubt it. Most likely they just record it like it is- no game played. Bills and Bengals play one fewer game and everything is based on win percentages. Stinks for the Bills and Cincinnati, but that's what happened so why make something else up?

I think this would be the best choice, 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Respectfully, everyone is going to approach this situation differently.  One person who prays for Hamlin while also talking about the playoffs is certainly of no less value than a person who grieves and thinks about Hamlin constantly 

And I'd even take this a step further:  The Bills players are obviously focused on their teammate and friend, and spending time with their loved ones during this incredibly difficult time - But it's naive to think that even the players aren't starting to wonder things like: When will we resume practice?  Will we play NE as scheduled? etc.  Basically, they are starting to think about when things might start getting back to "normal"- BUT that's not a slight in any way to D Hamlin.  It's human nature and totally to be expected.

• Like (+1) 1

I would not resume this game. It doesn't make logistical sense and I don't think it makes emotional sense. Somebody is going to get a raw end of the deal with how the playoffs are seeded but oh well.

I do think the Bills need to play on Sunday. I think the whole world would understand if they closed practices to the media, shut down player/coach media availability, etc. I think given it's a divisional game, you could probably even get away with one less day of practice and start on Thursday.

Hopefully you get some sort of positive update on Hamlin in the next 24 hours or so. Obviously I doubt he ever plays football again and he may not ever be the same person but there are still positive outcomes in that scenario. The traumatic experience is something that the players will never fully get over and it's going to take some players longer/shorter than others to be ready to go back to work. There is no right answer on when that happens. In my personal life, the sooner the better has been the answer but that doesn't mean that's what should happen

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

I care about the #1 Seed. and I care about the players health. why does it have to be one or the other? jeesh. it goes without saying the players health is more important and it goes without saying the players/coaches should have a say or the ultimate say as to when they play. 

But I for one am not going to pretend like the football aspect isn't immensely disappointing. I'm sure many of the players are dealing with this emotion as well. 

I wish we could get the #1 seed too but focusing on the competitive disadvantage of a life or death situation is, to me, the wrong focus.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

why do that? How does that help.  Either cancel the game / find a way to play it / flip a coin 

Yea, at this point flipping a coin is a realistic option.

Again, I harp on the total inadequacy of this Billion $ business if they dont have some tie breakers to consider permanently canceled games.

No giving both teams a tie is not a fair option, that basically hands the #1 seed to the  Chiefs.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Unless we get some good news, do you think they are playing this weekend? They would have to go back to practice tomorrow and do interviews and everything that goes with it. I personally don't care if they forfeit both games. If they are ready the week after for the playoffs then so be it and if not then it's up to them. They don't owe us anything. Football should not even be a consideration right now until the players say so. And I doubt they care who they play or what their seed is because it's completely out of their control

I think they will still play the Pats yes. There are still teams fighting for that 7 seed that this game affects.  I guess they could just forfeit if they arent up for it mentally.  Difficult time for everyone.

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If they dont play this weekend then you can pretty much cancel the year.

They are pros, as distasteful and painful as it is, I think they HAVE to play this weekend or just cancel the entire year (which is not a realistic option).

Clarification.. the Bills? Or the league cancel the year? I have heard people saying Bills forfeiting Sunday and just give themselves 2 weeks to hear news and get ready for the playoffs both mentally and physically. 

4 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I just don't understand how it's not acceptable to play on Tues or Wed but they can play on Sunday just does not make sense

There will hopefully be a positive update on Hamlin by tomorrow night if everything is progressing well.  That could change a lot for the players 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

7 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Do you think they are playing this weekend? -  YES UNLESS THEY FORFEIT                                                                                                                                                          Football should not even be a consideration right now until the players say so. - NOT HOW THE REAL WORLD WORKS                                                                                    And I doubt they care who they play or what their seed is because it's completely out of their control - AGREED

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Clarification.. the Bills? Or the league cancel the year? I have heard people saying Bills forfeiting Sunday and just give themselves 2 weeks to hear news and get ready for the playoffs both mentally and physically. 

Cancel the season for the Bills. 

No forfeiting the games for the Bills is ridiculous  imo.   Again, these are pros.  They see pain and risk their life every snap. 

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Is this fair to the other teams example just letting New England win and they make the playoffs and another team getting eliminated that would otherwise have made it

Maybe I'm the ####### here, but I just don't give a ***** about any of this.  At this point, the Bills could take the L for the Bengals and forfeit the Pats game.  It sucks from a football perspective and for all the hard work the players put in, but I think the players will tell you that none of this matters.

Hamlin's health is literally all that matters at this point.  I get that some people need to distract themselves in times like this, but I honestly feel like the majority of people talking standings are just being selfish.  The football part will play itself out.  But right now, it just doesn't matter.  

I almost wish this thread was pinned and locked, because the interest being on the wrong things is disturbing to me

• Eyeroll 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

7 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I just don't understand how it's not acceptable to play on Tues or Wed but they can play on Sunday just does not make sense

They should have news on Hamlin by this weekend.  Clearly this will affect their preparation, but whatever... much different than having to play a game.  

That was also something players need time to process.  This week, around the team, coaches and support staff should help.  

Just now, Virgil said:

Maybe I'm the ####### here, but I just don't give a ***** about any of this.  At this point, the Bills could take the L for the Bengals and forfeit the Pats game.  It sucks from a football perspective and for all the hard work the players put in, but I think the players will tell you that none of this matters.

Hamlin's health is literally all that matters at this point.  I get that some people need to distract themselves in times like this, but I honestly feel like the majority of people talking standings are just being selfish.  The football part will play itself out.  But right now, it just doesn't matter.  

I almost wish this thread was pinned and locked, because the interest being on the wrong things is disturbing to me

Sometimes it's better to just say nothing....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, vincec said:

That would punish both teams for this event. Why should both teams be further damaged because they experienced a tragedy of this magnitude? :(

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have no doubt they will play on Sunday. Not sure they will win. It is what it is. Before we get too riled up about seeding, it may all be moot if they lose. There is only so much a team can take mentally as they try to prep for this game and take the field again. JMO 

Thinking the same thing.

How are the Bills going to clear their heads on a shortened week and beat the desperate Patriots lead by the dark for evil overlord who is plotting right now how to best exploit this tragedy.  Sorry to say, that is what pros do.

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I was up until 3 am watching coverage of this.  

Everyone I was with stopped, bowed our heads, and prayed for Damar last night. 

We all care.  We all deal with it differently.  

You may think we're heartless... fine.. There's a term for people who feel the need to make it known they allegedly care more than others about something.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'm still getting teary about Hamlin - I haven't been this deeply affected by something in a long time.  But, I'm also thinking about what happens now from a football perspective. There is room in my head for both.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Coin toss.  Both teams are evenly matched.  One team gets the W, one the L as what would have happened (tie if it lands on edge).  The rest of the league's seeding doesn't get scrambled and they do not need to resume/replay the game.

Sounds odd, but really the fairest and least disruptive for the league.  And neither team has to relive the trauma.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.