Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

the team keeping it together and finishing out the sesson would be a huge win in of itself.  At this point, who cares about HFA throughout the playoffs.  Let’s just hope that Hamlin pulls through.

Glad this game is not being shoved in. But wanting Hamlin to be okay and wanting the 1 seed are not mutually exclusive. 

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

That's not what that says. It says if the Commissioner deems it impossible to continue a game due to emergency... The Commissioner has the authority to adjust the procedures in whatever manner the Commissioner deems appropriate...

The clause you are citing would seem to give him the authority to cancel a game that could be played, if it has no effect on any other team. 

I haven't seen the rest of the rulebook, but I believe "the following procedures" refer to something we are not seeing, not to the clause that is quoted.

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Bills are not going to skip, forfeit, stay at home with their families…yada yada this Sunday. They will be playing the New England Patriots. 

Now if you want to debate whether or not their heads will be in that game, that is a valid point for discussion.

I don’t think anyone knows what is going to happen week 18. Everything is on schedule as of now. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

The Bills are not going to skip, forfeit, stay at home with their families…yada yada this Sunday. They will be playing the New England Patriots. 

Now if you want to debate whether or not their heads will be in that game, that is a valid point for discussion.

I wouldn’t bet on that. That game is now four days away. The Bills would have been putting in the offensive game plan today in practice. None of that is happening and the players heads will not be in the proper place to absorb a game plan most likely the next few days. I think Bills actually playing the Pats on Sunday is unlikely. And if they do play on Sunday with limited prep and their heads not right, would more than likely lead to them losing to the Pats anyways. No Bills fan should be wanting them to play in four days, it most likely won’t end the way we’d all want. 

Is there a rule that says a team must play a minimum number of games in order to qualify for the postseason?

I'm just curious.  For example, what (besides their share of the gate) would prevent a team that locks up the #1 seed early from simply forfeiting their last two games (if they don't affect other teams' seedings) and focusing on practicing and getting healthy for the playoffs?  I would expect there's something in the rulebook about competitive balance that prohibits this, or allows the Commissioner to order the team to play its games.

4 minutes ago, BRH said:

I haven't seen the rest of the rulebook, but I believe "the following procedures" refer to something we are not seeing, not to the clause that is quoted.

Yes, it refers to the " Emergencies and Unfair Acts provisions in the Policy Manual for Member Clubs: Game
Operations" which provide guidance on how to handle emergencies...

I can only find the 2007 version published online at the moment.

8 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Maybe. But at minimum after the week 18 games are played, 1st 2nd and 3rd seeds are up in the air. And If the Ravens beat the Bengals, their division is up in the air.

Week 18:

Bills

13-3 or 12-4

Chiefs

14-3 or 13-4

Bengals

12-4 or 11-5

Ravens

11-6 or 10-7

Too many combinations will still have competitive repercussions no matter the outcome. 

If the Bills beat the Patriots and KC and Cinci lose, the number 1 and 2 seeds would be wrapped up.  At that point, you could declare the game a tie, which would give the Cinci the AFC North title.  That seems like a manageable situation but the odds of that happening are probably 20 percent or less.

3 minutes ago, Billznut said:

I wouldn’t bet on that. That game is now four days away. The Bills would have been putting in the offensive game plan today in practice. None of that is happening and the players heads will not be in the proper place to absorb a game plan most likely the next few days. I think Bills actually playing the Pats on Sunday is unlikely. And if they do play on Sunday with limited prep and their heads not right, would more than likely lead to them losing to the Pats anyways. No Bills fan should be wanting them to play in four days, it most likely won’t end the way we’d all want. 

I think we end up playing but not on Sunday.  Maybe Monday or Tuesday.  And because we're unlikely to get the bye, that will affect our preparation and rest for the wildcard round.  As well as the Patriots' -- and there's a chance we could end up playing them if we lose and Cincinnati loses to Baltimore.

No easy solution.

Edited by BRH
  • Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not really fair as it gives all of the wild card teams a week off and time to gameplan and prepare and the Bills and Bengals get screwed having to play with no rest for the 2 mentally scarred teams.  My guess is if that becomes the proposal- the Bills go to the NFLPA and refuse and it gets scrapped and the Bills take the loss.

The Bills do not want to screw Cincinnati and that plan more than any other screws Cincinnati for being right their and supporting the Bills.

If both teams were scarred mentally then it wasn't doing right by the Bills, it was doing right as an organization no matter which team they belong to.

If it were a Bengal player, I don't think we'd be having the conversation of taking a free win from the Bengals for being decent human beings and not telling them to forfeit or get back on the field.

2 minutes ago, Billznut said:

This is a problem for the Bills to sort out.  Washington played a game in between Sean Taylor's death and his funeral.  We should be able to play this Sunday. 

23 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

So the options are call it a non-game and go to winning percentage - which you don’t like or force the Bills and Bengals to play a game alone sometime after week 18 and before the playoffs that puts both teams at a huge competitive disadvantage and most likely still gives KC home field advantage.

Why does it most likely still give KC home field advantage?

Which do you want - people need to pick their poison here.

Is it find a way in the next to weeks for the Bills and Bengals to play 3 games?

Why do you assume the Bills and Bengals would be playing 3 games?

Call it a no contest and basis the playoffs on winning percentage?

There are no rules to make up a fake tie, award both teams wins, flip a coin to decide - so none of those are options.  

There are only 2 and both suck, but calling it a no game keeps all the teams involved in the playoff and has minor negative impact.  Trying to find a way to shoehorn in an extra game between Sunday and next weekends playoff is completely ludicrous and if they push the playoffs back and force a single Buffalo/Cincinnati game can you imagine how much bad press that will generate as the Bills have to return to the scene and every other playoff teams get byes to get ready and KC has to sit for 2 weeks.

I agree there's no easy answer.  This is completely unprecedented, obviously.  I can see what you're saying about the fact that there's a competitive disadvantage for all the Wildcard teams getting an extra week off while Buffalo and Cincy play a game.  

But I'd be genuinely curious about what the players believe is more valuable:

Homefield advantage

OR

Bye week

I obviously don't have an answer and you clearly believe the bye week is more valuable, but just look at McDermott's teams in the playoffs at home vs. on the road.  Toss in the fact that players get to sleep in their own beds and see their families every day of the week and honestly, I think the Bills players really value those home games, and unless KC loses to the Raiders (unlikely, but anything's possible), Buffalo automatically loses the #1 seed no matter what they do this weekend.  And in Cincy's defense, if KC actually does lose to the Raiders, Cincy won't have the opportunity to earn the #1 seed they would have otherwise earned from beating Buffalo.

The easiest answer is what the Bills have already said they expect - the game will not be made up - moving the seeding to win% as discussed during Covid and keeping all of the schedules the same.

Every choice has positive and negative impacts - that choice limits it as much as possible.

Again, I disagree that your choice limits it as much as possible.  But what I do think is that the 2 teams will be front and center in the conversation.  And you're absolutely right that both teams decide to not play because they'd be "going back to the scene of the crime," so to speak.

Not really fair as it gives all of the wild card teams a week off and time to gameplan and prepare and the Bills and Bengals get screwed having to play with no rest for the 2 mentally scarred teams.  My guess is if that becomes the proposal- the Bills go to the NFLPA and refuse and it gets scrapped and the Bills take the loss.

The Bills do not want to screw Cincinnati and that plan more than any other screws Cincinnati for being right their and supporting the Bills.

Those Wildcard teams wouldn't know who they're playing until the game is complete, though.  

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

This is a problem for the Bills to sort out.  Washington played a game in between Sean Taylor's death and his funeral.  We should be able to play this Sunday. 

That's true - I was at that game and Washington played terribly - but when the player actually dies on the field in front of them, or comes close to it, I think this is worse by at least an order of magnitude. 

4 minutes ago, BRH said:

Is there a rule that says a team must play a minimum number of games in order to qualify for the postseason?

I'm just curious.  For example, what (besides their share of the gate) would prevent a team that locks up the #1 seed early from simply forfeiting their last two games (if they don't affect other teams' seedings) and focusing on practicing and getting healthy for the playoffs?  I would expect there's something in the rulebook about competitive balance that prohibits this, or allows the Commissioner to order the team to play its games.

Draft positions for the conceding teams’ opponents would absolutely be at stake. 

3 hours ago, Demongyz said:

It doesn't matter, those players aren't going to just up and forget last night.  They need to be in peak mental and physical condition to play this game, and that isn't going to happen.

Sure, force these poor men back onto that field and watch them get rolled.  If the NFL wants to move the playoffs, so be it, but expecting them to just shrug this off is again, just not going to happen.

What we witnessed last night was tragic and horrific. At some point, players will have to choose to either play the game or walk away - there is no in between. 

• Like (+1) 1

The game should not be resumed or rescheduled because there is no time to do it after week 17. The playoff teams are yet to be determined and week 18 starts in 4 days. The Bills and Bengals will have 16 game seasons. If all the teams win week 18, the Chiefs will be the 1 seed and the Bills will be number 2. Case closed. For the people that think the Bills are benefiting from the postponement  of the Bengals contest, think of how soul crushing it will be to take the field with your brother fighting to survive. It’s just an incomprehensible  tragedy that has never happened before.  If Demar makes a full recovery, that would make any result this year acceptable.

12 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Today is Tuesday , normally players day off 

Call it a draw and move on. I know the Bills were losing on the scoreboard and, by all accounts, on the field as well. But you can't call a game after less than one quarter, and I don't see how they are going to fit this game in with only one week left in the regular season. 

One could argue that the Bengals suffer more from a tie being called, but one could also argue that it's not Buffalo's fault the Bengals came into week 17 a game behind them in the conference race. It's also true that Cincy still clinches their division with a tie, so at least they have that going for them. Which is nice.  

19 minutes ago, Billznut said:

the Bills will be playing football against the Patriots. The NFL is a business and it’s not just about one team. There are many teams that will be laying it on the line this weekend in hopes of making the playoffs.

Do you think the Dolphins, Steelers or Jaguars should go out onto the field and play a game of football and put themselves at risk of injury all the while the Bills don’t play and hand the Patriots a playoff spot? Should the Bengals forfeit to the Ravens and let the Ravens claim a division title because they most certainly were shook by this as well? Should they all cancel their games too after the blood, sweat and tears they put into this season going back to mini-camps?

I guarantee you everyone in the NFL as well as fans of football are all pulling and praying for a Hamlin recovery. In the meantime, there will be games. And the Bills will be part of them.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

As crazy as it might sound, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Bills don’t play another game this year. No matter how that looks if they just say they are done…wouldn’t surprise me at all

It's really up to them. I would be surprised to see them play this week.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

As crazy as it might sound, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Bills don’t play another game this year. No matter how that looks if they just say they are done…wouldn’t surprise me at all

I get where this is coming from…..but the Bills will understand that is not what Hamlin would want for his brothers. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Beast said:

Nothing to debate about, I’m saying that’s probably what they’d rather do. Calm down fella

Edited by BananaB

Another thing to consider: 

Every single team was affected by what happened last night, not just the Bills and Bengals.  That was the only game on and I guarantee you almost every single player saw it happen in real time.  Of course it's not as impactful if you're watching on television, but I think every player now has something in the back of their minds that wasn't there before last night.

There are 17 former Pitt players currently on an NFL active roster and another half-dozen on practice squads.  Several of them were Hamlin's teammates in college, including Kenny Pickett.  This impacted a lot more than just the two teams on the field last night.

Of course the NFL will do everything in its power to avoid canceling an entire weekend of games.  But if the news out of UC Medical Center doesn't improve as the week goes on, and especially if it gets worse... I have to think we're not going to see very good football across the league this weekend.

10 minutes ago, Beast said:

the Bills will be playing football against the Patriots. The NFL is a business and it’s not just about one team. There are many teams that will be laying it on the line this weekend in hopes of making the playoffs.

Do you think the Dolphins, Steelers or Jaguars should go out onto the field and play a game of football and put themselves at risk of injury all the while the Bills don’t play and hand the Patriots a playoff spot? Should the Bengals forfeit to the Ravens and let the Ravens claim a division title because they most certainly were shook by this as well? Should they all cancel their games too after the blood, sweat and tears they put into this season going back to mini-camps?

I guarantee you everyone in the NFL as well as fans of football are all pulling and praying for a Hamlin recovery. In the meantime, there will be games. And the Bills will be part of them.

Giving a win to both Bills and Cincy will leave everything intact, with all three teams (KC also) with the chance to get the n.1 seed with a win and other possible teams losses. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I get where this is coming from…..but the Bills will understand that is not what Hamlin would want for his brothers. 

I’m not saying they will or won’t. Just saying, everything is on the table here. Obviously if they got good news on Hamlin soon it would be all systems go. But the longer they wait, idk

13 minutes ago, DrDare said:

Theres all kinds of stuff including an entire sportsbetting industry that has year long sports wagers that need to be settled.

nothing “needs” to be settled. The books will void the bets return the money and move on (just like they did last night when the game was called.)

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

Nothing to debate about, I’m saying that’s probably what they’d rather do. Calm down fella

Actually there is allot to debate about, if those players aren't mentally prepared to play a nfl caliber football game, you risk injury. And there is no way our head coach would ever risk people he truly cares about for the business. McDermott regardless of what we think of him as a x's and o's coach wouldn't do it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not saying they will or won’t. Just saying, everything is on the table here. Obviously if they got good news on Hamlin soon it would be all systems go. But the longer they wait, idk

Let me guess, you think the stock market is going to go up or it could go down also.

3 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

They can eliminate the week off between the Championship games and the Super Bowl, and just add another week to the schedule.  If the Bills win (and beat the Pats this week), they will get a bye.  If Cinci wins, KC will probably get another week off.

If they are going to finish the game, this is really the only option.  None of the playoff games have been scheduled yet, and can easily be pushed out another week.  The Pro-Bowl can be pushed to after the Super Bowl (where it used to be).  

The biggest issues with this are the NFL losing revenue from missing out on the extra "media week"... along with giving all the other playoff teams (outside of the Bills/Bengals) an extra rest week to get healthy.  However, you are creating an even BIGGER competitive disadvantage by forfeiting the game.  If you don't play the game, it likely hands Kansas City the #1 seed and potentially allows the Ravens to win the AFC North.

At this point, I question how the Bills can even move ahead with their game on Sunday against the Patriots.  With all the weight of this season, they may be mentally shot anyway.

9 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t know think Hamlin’s status matter in regards to scheduling. 

Hi literally died in front of his entire team and the country. He was brought back to life after 9 minutes. 

I am very concerned with Hamlin as a person. But he already died on national TV. There’s zero reason to play this game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.